Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,170 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Prayers Don’t Work Because People ‘enjoy’ Being Sick - Pat Robertson - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Prayers Don’t Work Because People ‘enjoy’ Being Sick - Pat Robertson (464 Views)

Pat Robertson Tells Elderly Woman: If You Tithe You Won’t Have Medical Problems / Pat Robertson Says Dinosaurs Prove Young Earth Creationists Are Wrong.. / Benny Hinn & Pat Robertson, The False Prophets Of The U.S 2012 Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prayers Don’t Work Because People ‘enjoy’ Being Sick - Pat Robertson by NicolasN: 10:01am On Aug 20, 2014
Christian love – blaming the victim: Televangelist Pat Robertson explains why healing prayers don’t work by claiming some people secretly “enjoy their sickness,” and do not want to be cured.
The deranged and demented televangelist went on a particularly offensive rant on his popular and long running television program The 700 Club this morning. Right Wing Watch reports Robertson fielded a question from a viewer who wondered why her husband hasn’t been healed from a medical condition despite intense prayer.
A viewer identified as Hannah wrote the following:
My husband and I have been praying for a healing miracle for his body for over four years. Other people we know have received a healing or miracle, but every time we pray for his healing, he seems to be getting worse.
The doctors don’t know what is wrong, and every time we get a different diagnosis. So my question is this: Does God choose only certain people to heal? And, if not, why hasn’t my husband received his healing yet?
Robertson responded that the woman’s husband probably isn’t a faithful Christian and may actually want to be sick:
“There are some people, you know, they enjoy their sickness. That is terrible to say but that is their excuse not to compete, ‘well I’d love to compete but my lumbago’s got me so I can’t do it.”
Terminal cancer – a secret pleasure?
There is something ugly about suggesting that someone “enjoys” being sick. The fact that Robertson blames the victim in his feeble minded attempt to explain why pleadings to an imaginary being go unanswered is simply reprehensible.
And while atheists, agnostics, and other freethinkers can laugh at Robertson’s pathetic attempt to preserve the cruel deception that prayers can heal, too many Christians will believe Robertson’s nonsense, with tragic consequence.
Those suffering illness will blame themselves. And those close to those suffering now have permission to blame the patient for being sick, believing, as Robertson suggests, that the patient is either secretly enjoying being ill, or is simply not Christian enough to enjoy an imaginary God’s favor.

Source: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2014/08/pat-robertson-prayers-dont-work-because-people-enjoy-being-sick/

1 Like

Re: Prayers Don’t Work Because People ‘enjoy’ Being Sick - Pat Robertson by Elijah78: 10:10am On Aug 20, 2014
Joke
Re: Prayers Don’t Work Because People ‘enjoy’ Being Sick - Pat Robertson by Oduduwaboy(m): 10:36am On Aug 20, 2014
Imagine,blaming the victim just to prove a non-existent god can heal. funny.

1 Like

Re: Prayers Don’t Work Because People ‘enjoy’ Being Sick - Pat Robertson by braine(m): 10:51am On Aug 20, 2014
All I know; there is God! No matter how anyone tried to cover it up.

(1) (Reply)

Wanted: Pastoral Job / Is The Bible Complete / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 14/09/14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.