Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,472 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' (39808 Views)

How NYSC Members Are Recruited For Prostitution In Minna / How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp / How NYSC Extorts Billions Of Naira From Corpers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by UnimkeAk(m): 10:21am On Mar 14, 2015
Hehehe, for pple like us wer don enta bush.
Nysc camp was nothing but fun.

Very Good Experience, made lots of friends.

For those that didn't have fun, u have a problem.
u should be able to adjust; esp. To Nysc, knowing that ur present condition is just temporal, and in less tha a year u'll be out.
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by UnimkeAk(m): 10:21am On Mar 14, 2015
Hehehe, for pple like us wer don enta bush.
Nysc camp was nothing but fun.

Very Good Experience, made lots of friends.

For those that didn't have fun, u have a problem.
u should be able to adjust; esp. To Nysc, knowing that ur present condition is just temporal, and in less than a year u'll be out.
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by egopersonified(f): 10:22am On Mar 14, 2015
op shocked
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by delejames(m): 10:30am On Mar 14, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
Prior to when I received my call-up number, I was told Lagos NYSC camp, Abuja NYSC camp and Port Harcourt NYSC camp are more exciting than others so I made plans to influence my posting to one of these states.

I typed 'NYSC Lagos Camp' on Google search bar and an image of a shirtless Iyanya appeared among female corp members.

Damn!

This might be my only opportunity to kukere Iyanya six packs, I thought.

Lagos camp was it!

That evening, I asked my parents for N30,000 to influence my posting. What followed next was a three hour sermon on "The implications of altering your destiny"

My parents were not going to give me the money and their decision was final.

I didn't let that perturb me.

The next day, I cleared my bank account for the NYSC runs boy.

Finally call-up letters were out.

While my friends scrambled to school to know their fate, I didn't bother. I sat back at home like a boss, observing things.

As long as I was concerned, my name was among those posted to Lagos and I was going to take things nice and slow.

Two days before camp was due to open, my proud self bounced into my school to get my Lagos call-up letter.
The last thing I remembered was seeing my name along with the state code IM.

I had been duped!

Before I could say 'IYANYA, I found myself on the floor.

My hard-earned 30K was gone with the winds. (Iyanya, you owe me 30k!)

The happy-humble people posted to Lagos had come to help me up.

Then came the sympathies from them.

"I heard bum shorts are cheap at Owerri"

"You might even get an Owerri boyfriend"

"Owerri has the hottest funspots in Nigeria"

"Flavour looks like Iyanya and he might come there to sing Ada Owerri for you guys"

Nonsense!

FIRST DAY IN CAMP
Two days later I stood miserably at the gate of Umudi NYSC Camp, Imo State.

I met some soldiers searching a long queue of prospective corp members.

When it got to my turn, they emptied my box and began making jest of me when they found 3 tins of cereal.

Luckily for me, one NYSC official took pity on me and assisted me with the registration process.

It would be an insult to Titus sardine If I say 46 human beings were bundled like sardines into one kirikiri looking room because nowadays, there is only one and a half fish relaxing comfortably inside Titus tin.

We had no toilet. They didn't care whether we gave a shit or not. All pun intended.

No provision was made for a bathroom either so we had to wake up as early as 3:30am to shower on an open field.

THE CLIQUES
The first thing I noticed were the foreign students clique with different real and fake accents.

Even graduates of University of Ghana had accents too.
Houdegbe North American University graduates had American accents too.

The funniest of them all was one girl from Enugu State University of Technology.

In a bid to be among, she had what some group of boys called a Chinese accent.

Who knows, she must have acquired it the day she had dinner at a Chinese restaurant.

THE PARADE
The first day I attended the parade, I heard a soldier telling some corp members.

"Bounce that leg harder! No be your leg again! Na the Federal Government get am''

Out of fear, I ran inside the bush to hide but unfortunately for me, one soldier caught me and she made me do frog jump for twenty minutes. When I was done, I became temporarily crippled.

I borrowed a walking stick from one fake cripple (we had a lot of them in our camp) and staggered to join the Orientation Broadcasting Service.

On getting there, I was rejected by the head of OBS because I refuse to present news in a fake accent.

Where the hell was I suppose to download one from?

MY PLATOON
We celebrities (yes, I am one! google Naijasinglegirl) in Imo State NYSC Camp tried to live a lowkey life but you know what they say about supernovas? LOL

In my case my oversized shoes and uniform stood me out!
My feet are size 36 but I was given size 44 boots so I had to double shoe pads and I also used a rope to bound my feet to my shoes.

The same went for my khaki. The tailors just couldn't get it right even after using one trouser leg to create a new trouser for me. I ended up doubling belts.

Platoon Officer wanted me to represent the platoon in Miss Indomie noodles beauty pageantry but I refused with reasons that I prefer Dangote noodles.

She got irked and threatened to post me to the deepest part of the Imo State where I won't see tarred road for a year.

CAMP KITCHEN
I sneaked into the kitchen one day and found a huge pot of beans swimming in a mixture of oil and water. I peeked at the bucket of watery tea and it looked like the milk they put was keeping malice with the hot water. Literally, they both refused to 'mingle'.

I instantly became a food rights activists with talks of
"How can they serve us this thing when we have no toilets?''

''Do they realise some of us are first class graduates?"

There was a wastage of food that evening as most people rejected the sad looking beans.

That night, our coordinator assembled every corp member and asked why three quarters of us didn't utilize our meal ticket.

She pleaded for answers.

I and some other busybodies raised our hands and complained campfood is shitty.

To cut the long story short, we were made to sit in the open field till 1am for that statement.

MAMI MARKET
Mami market was my place of refuge. It solved my problem of food and fun.

Thanks to the cool guys I made friends with, they all took turns to pick my bills.

That went on until one particular girl towering above 6ft pulled me aside and warned me to stay away from her camp boyfriend or ...... (Reason I left camp as single again)

REDEPLOYMENT
Many corp members applied for deployment to different states on health grounds. So many of them had come prepared with letters from hospitals, faking different sicknesses.

They were desperate!

One particular guy lied early madness runs in his family.

Say what??

I also wanted to get a fake asthma report but my father as usual called and threatened to disown me if I wish evil upon myself.

The only real illness I suffered from was sleeping sickness. (In camp, I could kill for an extra five minutes of sleep every night)

LIFE OUTSIDE CAMP
Last day of camp we were issued our posting letters. I had lost weight to the extent that my shoes were not sizing me. My complexion got so dark & burnt that all I thought of was how I was going to soak myself in a bathtub of bleaching cream for 3 days. My place of primary assignment was one bush secondary school in Owerri. My greatest challenge was where to get hotel accomodation for two nights during our PPA registration process. Almost everyone in camp were plagued with the same problem. Prior to that, I had no idea services like HOTELS.NG (you know that wonderful site, don't cha?) existed and my ignorance cost me.

I eventually found one church family house. There, I was handed a list of rules and regulations.

1. Only English language and speaking in tongues allowed.

2. No sleeveless shirt or trousers.

3. No smiling with boys anyhow.

4. Compulsory 5am devotion and 9pm devotion.

5. You must be fully 'kitted' on your way to the bathroom. No tying of towels.

Literally, I went from one regimented place to another.
No Etisalat, MTN and Airtel service too. Only Glo ruled...no pun intended.

After my first night there, I couldn't take it anymore. Someone took me to one Mavis Suites for about 8k per night. Hotelier deceived me that the hotel was the cheapest one I could get in Owerri Municipality.

I parted with my hard earned money.

On getting to my PPA, it was the ugliest place I have ever been. I begged the school authorities to reject me but my pleas fell on deaf ears.

I was allocated to the administration unit of the school as an office assistant to some female teachers.

That's how I spent my NYSC days assisting some Igbo women to unwrap their okpa and stir their abacha ncha.

The End.

@naijasinglegirl
http://www.naijasinglegirl.net

Overall, NYSC is an experience of a lifetime.

How is/was your own NYSC camp experience?
hmmmmmmm...I see another Chimamanda in making...Nice write up
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by Neplusultra(f): 10:32am On Mar 14, 2015
kenbee:
Dear NaijaSingleGirl,
Ur writing skills and humour is Superb. but unfortunately, all I can see now is expression of hatred against a state & ur fake class.
Exactly
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by williamsfreakers(m): 10:39am On Mar 14, 2015
poster, sometimes u dont exaggerate stories to get peoples applaude cos what u just posted is more than exaggeration. I served also @ imo state and its not as bad as u put it. During service year u dont get d best u ask for, u make use of what you have. Imo state might not b d best place to serve but its quite better than some places
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by Neplusultra(f): 10:44am On Mar 14, 2015
nnamezie87:
the story is fake.....IMO women don't prepare Okpa and Abacha...........so.....where did U actually served?
Just wot I was tinkin too, o people dont prepare or even eat okpa like Enugu/Anambra pple
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 14, 2015
This NYSC should be abolished.
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by Curvinus(m): 10:59am On Mar 14, 2015
All this boggous writeup and not even a single picture to complement it. No wonder the broadcasting people rejected you as you lack a bit of a finishing touch.

Anyway, I hope you learnt how to make Okpa very well because you just might need that experience.

But you can write sha for a young school leaver. Your article is laced with good humour, making a light work of what should be a traumatic experience. Well done.
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by Nobody: 11:09am On Mar 14, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
I. Love you
I don't want u to bear that name again,so am going to marry u now.
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by ELVG: 11:17am On Mar 14, 2015
Cute post, i admire ur straight-forwardness
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by steams: 11:37am On Mar 14, 2015
You are truthful for the most part of your article, I also served in owerri municipal, ministry of works to be specific, the camp is not fun at all, I went AWOL after staying there for 3months and finding out there's nothing to do. People always say lots of fake stories about service, there's nothing fun about it than a waste of your precious one year.
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by rago(m): 12:25pm On Mar 14, 2015
unserious OP spoonfeeding unserious people

I dnt no was of real substance here..

b role models....
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by vicben27(m): 12:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
lindaikeji..in
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by doublezero7(m): 1:18pm On Mar 14, 2015
I sha love this girl! cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by greggng: 1:25pm On Mar 14, 2015
I paid 40k to influence mine to lagos but the person told me clearly that he can only handle oyo and abeokuta and I chosed oyo. I was only duped 20k at the camp cos I wanted to serve at ibadan . After payment I ended up at ogbomoso
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by UrennaNkoli(f): 1:28pm On Mar 14, 2015
freshness2020:
Can ♈όϋ imagine I influenced my posting to Rivers state just because Amaechi pays corpers #110k after service year? Since 2013 reach now I never see 'a' not to talk of 'lert'... That wasn't enough ..I was also hoping I would serve in an oil firm but for where...na so Dem throw me to one remotest area of Rivers called Ase-Azaga where we share our room with giant mosquitoes and scorpion...this village shares borders with Anambra n IMO and very close to the bank of River Niger ..na so I become fisherman-corper cum teacher.. We even transit on canoes to town for our monthly clearance . it was fun anyway cos I enjoyed every bit of it. grin
Sorry ehn...

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by handie(m): 1:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
lozanni:

If its Abia, you better go. There are multinational firms like Nigerian Breweries, Unilever, PZ etc in Aba, though its a pity about the state of roads there.
You must be from the north for wishing for Taraba (rolls wide open eyes).
Proudly a south southerner o. It's about cutting costs as d expenses incurred in the northern part are lesser than what obtains in d south(Based on economist/financial analyst wey i ve)
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by activefibre1(m): 1:43pm On Mar 14, 2015
me sef go imo state. Oh boy, i did everything thinkable from macho man to sport to matching to dance, rock girls like hell, got my first heart break , broke plenty others, made friends more like brothers, went places.....i went through imo, and imo state went through me, no be small tin. In all i still gather savings go back house. #Godwin
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by joyjoomla(m): 1:58pm On Mar 14, 2015
doublezero7:

Oga..........na love u de play here, ehn wn person na get serious mata. Water no go kill fire of love oocheesy
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 14, 2015
"While my friends scrambled to school to know
their fate, I didn't bother. I sat back at home like
a boss, observing things"

I like this part, so funny

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by joyjoomla(m): 3:16pm On Mar 14, 2015
doublezero7:

joyjoomla:

Oga..........na love u de play here, ehn wn person na get serious mata. Water no go kill fire of love oocheesy

Oh..Now I get d gist, after going tru d whole....fallacy de worry me. cheesy grin grin
How hs bn d weekend with you.
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by olumyde5(m): 3:22pm On Mar 14, 2015
Well, we all have eyes but see things differently, I served in Imo too and it was fun moments for me all through, I experienced tremendous growth in my life mentally, spiritually & financially.
I think we should always be willing to open our mind to new opportunities and learn from because if you don't you won't see anything good in a 'shege' environment
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by Edigrows: 3:47pm On Mar 14, 2015
My feet are size 36 but I was given size 44 boots so I had to double shoe pads and I also used a rope to bound my feet to my shoes.

Bae, ur feet sized 36? Bae u wee be very short OO cheesy
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by Naijasinglegirl: 3:53pm On Mar 14, 2015
Edigrows:

Bae, ur feet sized 36? Bae u wee be very short OO cheesy
I am a short girl. *cries in slow motion*

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by Edigrows: 3:57pm On Mar 14, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
I am a short girl. *cries in slow motion*
LOL, nofin wrong with dat, u definitely could be far bera dan all doz tall but Blockhead gals out there wink

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by lozanni(m): 7:56pm On Mar 14, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:

Hook me up

Am not really connected in the entertainment industry.
A friend of your friend could know someone, give it a try.
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by MeggaMaga(m): 8:38pm On Mar 14, 2015
I really enjoyed reading this.
Naijasinglegirl rocks!
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by doublezero7(m): 8:57pm On Mar 14, 2015
joyjoomla:

Oh..Now I get d gist, after going tru d whole....fallacy de worry me. cheesy grin grin
How hs bn d weekend with you.

Lol...its been a busy day bro! NGS is my babe! Its all love here! smiley

I still av u in mind BTW!!!
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by nairaman66(m): 9:42pm On Mar 14, 2015
funmo:

kai!!! I can only imagine

why not create a thread sir and tell us of these experiences you had

I never serve self and I always opine that it should be scraped

but tell me (us ) why sir

Heheheh.. You want story, click to nairaland ROMANCE section.. You will be surprised!

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by nairaman66(m): 9:43pm On Mar 14, 2015
butanep:
Guy what happened now... you sound heartbroken during your NYSC

Yeah, I was heartbroken! But I am doing just fine. But I stl reiterate that NYSC should be scrapped completely.. Period!
Re: How NYSC Camp Showed Me 'shege' by butanep(m): 10:23pm On Mar 14, 2015
nairaman66:

Yeah, I was heartbroken! But I am doing just fine. But I stl reiterate that NYSC should be scrapped completely.. Period!
You have a point anyway but I don't concur with your point.

The scheme has done a lot of good to others as well...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Miss NYSC 2013 Batch C / Living Conditions Of Corpers In Asaba, Delta State (Photos) / Corp Members In Kebbi State Learning How To Use Guns?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.