Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,752 members, 7,844,470 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain (30509 Views)

Poll: And the winner will be:

McCain/Palin: 5% (12 votes)
Obama/Biden: 94% (189 votes)
This poll has ended

Barack Obama Vs Mitt Romney : Election Night Thread / Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 / Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by RichyBlacK(m): 1:02am On Oct 25, 2008
shotster50:

Seriously, if you are a minority and you vote for Mc Cain, something is really really really wrong with you,

True! Let me add that:

If you know that 1 mega bytes is not equal to 1 million bytes (i.e., if you can reason and have a healthy memory) and you vote for McCain, then you only know the difference between the words "mega" and "million".
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by NegroNtns(m): 4:54am On Oct 25, 2008
if you are a minority and you vote for Mc Cain, something is really really really wrong with you

Why so ??
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by shotster50(m): 5:01am On Oct 25, 2008
Heck, if your black and your republican, something is really wrong lol.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by jendordino(m): 4:53pm On Oct 25, 2008
silent observer
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by NegroNtns(m): 5:03pm On Oct 25, 2008
Heck, if your black and your republican, something is really wrong lol.

Why so? Which party should a black person belong in and which candidate should we vote for and for what reasons?
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by sicily4u: 6:08pm On Oct 25, 2008
Before i was supporting Obama to win but when i found out that he is against christian i have a double mind,he is saying that American must bow for Islam

What u guys think

Still your bro
Silicy Jones
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by shotster50(m): 8:38pm On Oct 25, 2008
@ Negro_Ntns,

Dont get me wrong. What I meant was, as a Black Man given the choice to vote for McCain and Obama, I'd go for Obama . I know he has imperfections, but who doesnt We dont want another 8 years of the Republicans. Just so you know McCain is going to be another Dubya clone - he's got nothing to offer except war mongering.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by slimsaintt(m): 10:13pm On Oct 25, 2008
i love what you wrote
you can see obama-slimsaintt..com
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by Seun(m): 3:55pm On Oct 26, 2008
sicily4u:

Before i was supporting Obama to win but when i found out that he is against christian i have a double mind,he is saying that American must bow for Islam

What u guys think

Still your bro
Silicy Jones

Obama is a Christian
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by bagoma(f): 8:01pm On Oct 26, 2008
seun you get time o to dey reply to rubbish posts.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by sleekp1: 8:08pm On Oct 26, 2008
Seriously, if you are a minority and you vote for Mc Cain, something is really really really wrong with you,
You need your head examined if you're black and you vote reps, even Hispanics are turning to Obama.
Is Mc Cain not the same senator that voted against Dr Kings birthday? He even went to his state to canvass against it.
Experience tells me that blacks who oppose Democrats are the same ones quick to denounce any achievement by fellow black people. This is not just a black phenomenon, I think the word for it is "Self hate".
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by shotster50(m): 9:08pm On Oct 26, 2008
Thanks Sleek, you obviously said more than i could,
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by omoge(f): 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2008
Obama looks cute today in Richmond, VA. grin That guy sure do have style grin

9 days to go! cool
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by shotster50(m): 9:59pm On Oct 26, 2008
Let the haters bring it on!!!!
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by NegroNtns(m): 2:06am On Oct 27, 2008
You need your head examined if you're black and you vote reps, even Hispanics are turning to Obama.
Is Mc Cain not the same senator that voted against Dr Kings birthday? He even went to his state to canvass against it.
Experience tells me that blacks who oppose Democrats are the same ones quick to denounce any achievement by fellow black people. This is not just a black phenomenon, I think the word for it is "Self hate".

Sleek & Shorster,

Republican is not a black party. Democrat is not a black party. There is no black party in America, so stop fooling yourself and everyone else with your sentiments.

If you want to vote on a racial line, then you really ought to vote for Green Party, where both the Presidential candidate - Cynthia McKinney - and her VP - Rosa Clemente - are both minorities. Obama is half white, half black. If you truly want a black president, then argue for support behind Cynthia McKinney and Green Party.

The problem I have noticed here is that a lot of you folks are supporting Obama for nothing other than that he is black - I dont get it! You want black candidate? Vote for McKinney! If you dont believe that her racial lineage is sufficient for you vote, then be objective on the issues that each platform is presenting and stop this accusation about being black and voting republican is crazy, no it is not.

The Republican party made Colin Powell, the Republican party made Condoleeza Rice, The Republican Party made JC Watts. Tell me how many successful blacks the Democratic party has produced in the past? If you cannot, then shut up and wait for Nov 4th to go cast your vote for your candidate of choice, respect the choices made by other people that do not share in your false reasonings for exercising that right.

If you have any additional substance to add please let us hear it.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by toshmann(m): 4:43am On Oct 27, 2008
@negro_nuts

thank you very much. like say i get $20, i for fax am to you. how many of these people supported john kerry like this? and their policies are very similar (kerry and obama) , it's all about skin color. anyway, 4th november will send shock waves across the globe b/c america will honor her war hero in the ballot.

as for ohio, obama can forget it grin everwhere i go, i see mccain/palin posts. i went to columbus last weekend and interviewed some ohio state uni students (who by the way are still recovering from the shocking defeat at home by penn state in college football grin ) and they tell me majority of their classmates are for mccain. one black dental student told me he is the only one for obama in his class. he he heeeeee. . . . bradley dey o grin
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by shotster50(m): 6:40am On Oct 27, 2008
@ Negro_Ntns

What part of my statement did you not understand?? I never said the reason that I am voting Obama is simply because he is black. You guys simply make that assumption. For a fact, I do not support the Republican party (never did and never will). They simply do do not appeal to me. I am actually shocked that you picked up on that. What I meant when I said you'd be crazy to vote for them was that I do not see what they have to offer Minorities anywhere. Why is even Colin Powell endorsing Obama rather than McCain Isnt this a public forum anymore?
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by RichyBlacK(m): 7:22am On Oct 27, 2008
There is a reason why 65 Nobel laureates support Obama. Any guesses?

Well, those who are free of the shackles of "the race complex" and "the religion complex" have the ability to think and reason without undue constraints.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by NegroNtns(m): 11:18am On Oct 27, 2008
What part of my statement did you not understand?? I never said the reason that I am voting Obama is simply because he is black. You guys simply make that assumption. For a fact, I do not support the Republican party (never did and never will). They simply do do not appeal to me. I am actually shocked that you picked up on that. What I meant when I said you'd be crazy to vote for them was that I do not see what they have to offer Minorities anywhere. Why is even Colin Powell endorsing Obama rather than McCain Isnt this a public forum anymore?

Shotster,

There are protocols in public forum and you violated one of them. In public forums you state your views and defend them vigorously as you can while at the same time respecting the differing views of other contributors. Just because you never supported and never will support Republican does not make anyone else that does an insane and weird individual as you inferred in your post. I only asked "why so" to your statement that if a minority was supporting McCain then something is really wrong with them and you did not articulate a response. My question is still standing if you want to respond.

Why is something terribly wrong for a black person to support McCain? Would it be equally correct to assume that something is terribly wrong for a white person to support Obama? What I am trying to get is have we concluded that this election is about race and not about issues?

If its about race and we ought to elect Obama, then we must also have vision and be prudent. As a race, we have been stupid many times in the choices we made in the past. We unquestionably gave loyalty to one party and lost the ability to negotiate laterally for influence. The outcome is year after year we continue to remain marginalized to the benefit of hispanics and Indians and other minority groups who, unlike us, saw wisdom in splitting their backing amongst the two major political parties. As we have witnessed in this election, the candidates have appeared in front of the elders of the Hispanics and the Jews and made conciliatory promises to issues that matter most to their sub constituencies and communities. In May when McCain attended NAACP conference all he did was to give a speech, so did Obama. Neither one of them have promised to resolve any issue local and unique to the black community.

You must ask, in a general election where over 90% of blacks support one party, God forbid, what happens if that party lost the election? Who truly is the loser, is it the white Democrats or the black democrats? I ask again, in return for decades of loyal support what has the Democratic party done for black America?

Shortster, it is uncommon for black people to ask penetrating questions but amongst us there are those who have raised critical questions and the answers we keep getting is that both parties are on a par in terms of their pros and cons, however, in order to forge a new destiny for black people in America our collective path forward must not diverge from the single purpose of accessibility and hold on political power and influence, even though our party affiliations may differ. The reason that black men continue to be victimized by metro cops is because we lack political power and influence and even worse, it's the same reason why those cops are never convicted of crime. We love the Democratic party and until Obama came along we loved Bill Clinton but it was Bill who signed into law the penal code for posession of a gram of powder cocaine versus posession of a gram of crack cocaine. I am not excusing bad behavior but at the expense of black skin the white skin made tons of money and escaped prison time. We need to wake up!
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by maedan(f): 1:31pm On Oct 27, 2008
Seems every(almost) right-thinking person wants Obama to win - but has anyone one considered the aftermath? Obama wins - then what? Obama looks like too good a person to waste on the presidency. The White House changes people. It makes them MONSTERS. I really don't want that to happen to the idealistic, mild-mannered Obama. Also, there's the fear of assasination. America couldn't stand to have a Catholic president for long - can they stand a Black one? I really pray that if they LET Obama win, he survives the next four years.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by slyk2(m): 1:46pm On Oct 27, 2008
the election will soon be over, lets wait for OBAMA!
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by NegroNtns(m): 2:49pm On Oct 27, 2008
Seems every(almost) right-thinking person wants Obama to win - but has anyone one considered the aftermath? Obama wins - then what? Obama looks like too good a person to waste on the presidency. The White House changes people. It makes them MONSTERS. I really don't want that to happen to the idealistic, mild-mannered Obama. Also, there's the fear of assasination. America couldn't stand to have a Catholic president for long - can they stand a Black one? I really pray that if they LET Obama win, he survives the next four years.

Maedan,

Two figures are very important on that thought and you have to really analyze what these people have said in the past 15 months to get a clear understanding of what the future holds. Much as I'd love to give you the gist, I must restrain my tongue because there is a literary work on that and its still not completed but when the climate is ripe I will be glad to share. I can tell you this for now - when Biden speaks, listen attentively and critique the reasoning behind his statement. Obama is not going to be assassinated but something even more dramatic will unfold that will cost him the Presidency.

To give you a hint - are you aware for how long the Democratic party had known that John Edwards had extra-marital affairs and refused to disclose it; and why they kept John that long in the Primary race? Thats all I can say for now, you deduce the rest of the story on your own. No Obama has no extra marital issue, thats not the line of the story. It will not matter whether Obama or McCain wins, either way it goes America is about to witness a huge awakening in its politics and it all circle around the person occupying the oval office.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by maedan(f): 2:59pm On Oct 27, 2008
@ Negro_Ntns,
now u're really freaking me out! Hey, I don't pretend to be some heavy political ananlyst, but I AM an intelligent observer and I really think America would prefer the Worst White President (eg McCain) than the Best Black President (ie Obama). Something tells me it will be a very small margin, but Obama may lose. It would be made to seem like a "close call", but he just might be cheated out of the White House. What ever, Obama seems just too dignified to want to be the American president, an office that has sunk low from its once elevated pedestal.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by omoge(f): 3:08pm On Oct 27, 2008
Expert says MC will win. seems like it now. I just do not understand this country. after all this years of Republican govt that messed up the country and the world, they will still vote Republican? that's where i feel funny because i am not for Obama for being black but that i want a change that is a democrat no matter who the person is.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by omoge(f): 3:13pm On Oct 27, 2008
maedan you are very correct with your post
I AM an intelligent observer and I really think America would prefer the Worst White President (eg McCain) than the Best Black President (ie Obama).

he is being predicted already.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by maedan(f): 3:36pm On Oct 27, 2008
@omoge, thanks, I always try to give a good, if not informed, opinion.

on a live show yesterday someone called in and said Obama was "trying" to be an American, implying that not only did he NOT deserve to be an American, he did not deserve to be an American president. Can you imagine? There's a deep-rooted pompous, racist thread in some key areas of the US that I don't think poor OB has a chance.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by NegroNtns(m): 3:41pm On Oct 27, 2008
now u're really freaking me out! Hey, I don't pretend to be some heavy political ananlyst, but I AM an intelligent observer and I really think America would prefer  the Worst White President (eg McCain) than the Best Black President (ie Obama). Something tells me it will be a very small margin, but Obama may lose. It would be made to seem like a "close call", but he just might be cheated out of the White House. What ever, Obama seems just too dignified to want to be the American president, an office that has sunk low from its once elevated pedestal.

You are correct it will be a close call.  Personally, I want Obama to win.  I say this because Obama the person has strong leadership demeanour and solid idealism which under the correct settings will indeed propel America back into the forefront of global leadership. However, the party platform for which he is campaigning is anti- the ideals that Obama is visualizing for America.  The Republican platform is more in harmony with the visions that Obama has.  

Along the line he has modified his original message to fit in with Democratic agenda.  With Democrat having majority in the House and Senate, President Obama's visions and ideals will all be suppressed and the democratic agenda will dominate. Much as he may dislike it, he will have no choice but to flow along or risk having his Presidency ruined and discredited worse than Bush's.  Obama wants to change Washington but Washington is going to change him.  Black America know Obama and they know Biden but I wonder how many blacks in America truly know Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi and their shpere of power and influence.  The President serves at the bequest of the Constitution.  The Senate Leader and the Speaker of the House of Reps are the custodians of that Constituion - they can make and break a President and we have seen that with Clinton and with Bush.  Let's see what they will do to Obama - they will turn him into a puppet and he will dance along or forfeit his term to Biden.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by Seun(m): 3:45pm On Oct 27, 2008
Seems every(almost) right-thinking person wants Obama to win - but has anyone one considered the aftermath? Obama wins - then what? Obama looks like too good a person to waste on the presidency. The White House changes people. It makes them MONSTERS. I really don't want that to happen to the idealistic, mild-mannered Obama.

Obama is touched by your concern, but he still needs your vote. 
He is ready to deal any imaginary consequences that victory may lead him to.
If his family is not afraid, why should you be afraid?  Vote for the right person, no excuses please.
Obama is a politician, he's not a saint.  He just happens to be more sane than the others.
And the world badly needs an American president who is at least a little bit sensible.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by maedan(f): 3:52pm On Oct 27, 2008
@Negro_Nts
yes, I agree with you on the point that when Obama gets into the Oval Office, he WILL change, and not for the better. He may lose all dignity and respect, from others and from himself. I just hope he hardens up enough to stand up for himself and not let anyone turn him into their "puppet".

@Seun
i will gladly vote for Obama. Put next to that comic character McCain, what choice does anyone have? I can't believe there's still going to be an election, let's just swear Obama in! But seriously, let's not blindly wish the Presidency on Obama, like the song says, be careful what you wish for, you might get much more than you bargained for. If I thought the US would gain from Obama but in some way Obama would suffer in the end, then I won't vote for him.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by NegroNtns(m): 4:01pm On Oct 27, 2008
Obama is touched by your concern, but he still needs your vote.  
He is ready to deal any imaginary consequences that victory may lead him to.
If his family is not afraid, why should you be afraid?
 Vote for the right person, no excuses please

Seun,

That's the mark of divinity - in the history of mankind, all men who have stepped forward to lead with inspiration - teachers, messengers, sages - have always been driven by the inner truth and much to the dismissal of any external danger by way of threats to life or even a consequential death.  We saw it in Mahatma Gandhi, in Martin Luther King Jr and also Malcom X.  Obama has proven that his drive is genuine and divinely inspired and outwardly he is not afraid of any danger to himself.  Hence the labeling that he sees himself as a messianic leader.  

Still, I wouldnt vote for or follow a teacher that has not been tested and fortified with adversity.  His experience should be my scripture and if he lacks experience, then his message is all there is, nothing more.  I cannot live on empty faith of "do as I say, not as I do".  If you cannot practically live what you preach to me, then I cannot blindly follow what you profess.  

Sometimes a messenger could be in the wrong place and he will need to relocate so his message can gain ground effectively.  Obama has great messages but he is in the wrong party.
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by NegroNtns(m): 4:05pm On Oct 27, 2008
If I thought the US would gain from Obama but in some way Obama would suffer in the end, then I won't vote for him.

Thank God, someone finally showed up that has an objective look, is confident in her racial heritage and proud of it and is not afraid to ask critical questions.

Maedan, welcome! grin
Re: US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain by maedan(f): 4:11pm On Oct 27, 2008
Negro_Ntns:

Thank God, someone finally showed up that has an objective look, is confident in her racial heritage and proud of it and is not afraid to ask critical questions.

Maedan, welcome! grin

smiley Thank you, Negro_Ntns. I hail you too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

THE 50 Most Powerful Men In The World 2009!!! / Iraq Court Orders Trump Arrest Over Drone Strike On Iran General / Ask A Russian Guy Anything.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.