Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,901 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? (13274 Views)

FACTS OR FICTIONS? / Nigerian Companies And The Owners Risk / Nigerian It Companies And Email (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by kel4soft: 8:43am On Aug 22, 2014
danchuzzy:

absolute spot off.
as an engineer u
1) design for worse case scenerios.
2) dont predict worse case scenerios in dis case possible water/rainwater characteristics while constructing
3) dont implement a design (actual road construction) when u r still gatherin facts.

u shuld hav planned for all dese in d preliminary stages of d project via research and what have u. dis is best done during d rainy season & in ur office/company/firm. Once d rains r over (during d dry season), u shuld b ready t commence work at d project site.

okay y people dey stop work wen rain wan fall?

thank u!

I read Civil Engr also but has never practice since I left the Institution. I am currently into multimedia but always fascinated with highway construction. I only agreed with him cos I was looking at it base on the weather condition. I know, Surveyors will struggle to have consistent readings during the raining season at the site and both sub basing and asphalting of the pavement is absolutely wrong. That said, do you believe that voodoo is involve in stopping precipitations
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by peter4d2(m): 8:44am On Aug 22, 2014
4 all I knw is dat medicine man is needed in all facet of construction work n hv u ever wondered why a JB worker was buried by 1 of dem river along benin ore road. If ur still in doubt ask any driver wen u ply dat road.
My 2 scents doe.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by HolyHolla(m): 8:44am On Aug 22, 2014
2cato: I have heard of such but why do rain disturb the chinko people CCEC durring the construction of badagry high way?

The Chinese are one of the most fetish when it comes to religious beliefs and Oriental religions common in Asia are more poised towards sacrifices to ancestors every now and then. Reliable eyewitness reports confirm that CCECC always make sacrifices of animals whenever they start construction of roads. Check that out.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by einsteino(m): 8:46am On Aug 22, 2014
Oklander:
If you are referring to road expansion and contraction during hot and cold whether, those are factors taken care of during the design irrespective of the season.

Water control is very crucial in road constructions, it is one of the most important factors considered. If the road is constructed during dry season and by chance the movement and possible effects of water is not properly "predicted" and taken care of, the road will be as good as "finish", The end(destruction) starts the following season(rainy). So its best during the rainy season as during this time you would be able to see and eliminate possible future effects of water that may probably leads to destruction.

I strongly disagree! You have failed to compare the gains with the losses. Do you know how much money is lost when heavy rain erodes your sub base? Also when you just finish compaction, heavy rain comes to make a mess of it?

It is expected that the design has taken into cognaisance whatever will transpire during the designed life of the road. Except of course, it is one of those political construction where anything goes.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Oklander: 8:54am On Aug 22, 2014
danchuzzy:

absolute spot off.
as an engineer u
1) design for worse case scenerios.
2) dont predict worse case scenerios in dis case possible water/rainwater characteristics while constructing
3) dont implement a design (actual road construction) when u r still gatherin facts.

u shuld hav planned for all dese in d preliminary stages of d project via research and what have u. dis is best done during d rainy season & in ur office/company/firm. Once d rains r over (during d dry season), u shuld b ready t commence work at d project site.

okay y people dey stop work wen rain wan fall?

thank u!

You are asking why they do stop work when its raining, you seems not to get it, achieving best/well constructed road during rainy season doesn't mean you will be working under the rain. It means, you will be able to take care of all possible water cases scenario in the process which is much more better than forecast(not saying its not needed o, its very important)
There are cases of road construction in the rainy season in which the compacted base/laterite has achieved the maximum required density and they were to go to the next stage, fortunately rain fell. Apart from exposing minor defect and flaws on the well compacted road based on forecast and design, the constructors had to import more laterite and compaction was carried out again there by strengthening the road more. These roads tends to be more durable/long lasting than the ones constructed in dry season.

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by teeboi73: 9:00am On Aug 22, 2014
Mushood: dat is unprofessional of u, where is ur weather forecast?
i appreciate your critical view but there are cases that defy forecast, the forecast was saying different thing at the time sir
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by kel4soft: 9:00am On Aug 22, 2014
HopeAtHand:

Kel4soft, your topic don make front page. I know how you dey feel now for your mind.grin

Ive been told by a staff of a construction company that they occassionally require the services of Rainmakers when they are behind schedule due to incessant rainfall.

Abobi Meka O. grin
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Oklander: 9:01am On Aug 22, 2014
einsteino:

I strongly disagree! You have failed to compare the gains with the losses. Do you know how much money is lost when heavy rain erodes your sub base? Also when you just finish compaction, heavy rain comes to make a mess of it?

It is expected that the design has taken into cognaisance whatever will transpire during the design lifetime of the road. Except of course, it is one of those political construction where anything goes.
You disagree with me but Ironically I agree with you. Lol. Yes its costly but that doesn't negate the fact that you achieve best/well constructed and durable road during the rainy season. If achieving that is safer, it comes first before the cost!
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by danchuzzy(m): 9:05am On Aug 22, 2014
kel4soft:

I read Civil Engr also but has never practice since I left the Institution. I am currently into multimedia but always fascinated with highway construction. I only agreed with him cos I was looking at it base on the weather condition. I know, Surveyors will struggle to have consistent readings during the raining season at the site and both sub basing and asphalting of the pavement is absolutely wrong. That said, do you believe that voodoo is involve in stopping precipitations

NO!!!
Why...
Because Jesus is Lord!!!
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 22, 2014
When I was in sch in Edo state,I have heard story of a man if you refuse to settle him or u did not tell him you wanna plan an occasions he we uses rain to scatter your ocassion, When the guy died it rain cat and dog on his burial to the extent the rain wash away his grave. Smh
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by cyborg1(m): 9:09am On Aug 22, 2014
It's about time we become less diabolic and embrace science.
Silver iodide compound was used during beijin olympic to seed cloud and stop stoppable rains.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by kel4soft: 9:19am On Aug 22, 2014
cyborg1: It's about time we become less diabolic and embrace science.
Silver iodide compound was used during beijin olympic to seed cloud and stop stoppable rains.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

Is it very expensive? Are you sure you wont alter nature which may come back to hurt us.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 22, 2014
Voodoo engineering!. Might be the next selling course who knows
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by zurine(f): 9:37am On Aug 22, 2014
hmm
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Ruq: 10:12am On Aug 22, 2014
sandijey: This things are so real. They do not only happen in local places. This thing happened in mushin. Has anybody been to mushin lately. In fact, any road construction done in lagos state or any part of Nigeria is not as easy as people see it. Before they could expand that road in mushin the contractors went through hell. Most times the appeasement is done at night. This is confirmed not based on hear say.

All this is largely because of poverty. Poverty is so much in the land that people are still greatly influenced by all this things. We in africa are still living in dark ages. The white folks went through this phase long long time ago but somehow they were able to grow above it. I mean why would a water goddess get angry because they want to build a bridge across. The same thing happened for 3 Rd mainland bridge. The story for that bridge is long but also very true. When I was in lag. If u go to the lagoon front. U see some of this ilaje people who own boats. Sometimes they take u for a ride. I don't no if it is still allowed now. U need to hear the stories they say......

I just laugh at people who say there is no God or try to use logical explanation to describe a spiritual phenomenon. People that believe in God but do not believe in the spiritual are even the most stupid of them all.

And how is spirituality explained. Can you point to someone who has a sound knowledge in spiritualism which won't adopt topics such as mentalism,scheming or revelations.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Calebeslove4u(m): 10:14am On Aug 22, 2014
Oklander: Even if its possible, I sea no reason why they would do that as Road construction is best during rainy season...

Bros dats not true na,so y do they give their workers stood off during rainy season
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Bobbyjay001(m): 10:22am On Aug 22, 2014
SMH for Indian people.

embarassed

embarassed

embarassed
Did you mean this Indian movie; Lagaan?
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by iamord(m): 10:28am On Aug 22, 2014
imag5: When I was in sch in Edo state,I have heard story of a man if you refuse to settle him or u did not tell him you wanna plan an occasions he we uses rain to scatter your ocassion, When the guy died it rain cat and dog on his burial to the extent the rain wash away his grave. Smh

Lol! Nemesis !
In R kelly's Voice “make it rain! Make it rain! Make it rain!

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by killercute16(m): 10:49am On Aug 22, 2014
chikichaka: Voodoo engineering!. Might be the next selling course who knows
voodoo engineering indeed. grin
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Reference(m): 10:51am On Aug 22, 2014
Oklander: Even if its possible, I see no reason why they would do that as Road construction is best during rainy season...
Edit
Don't mean constructing when its raining. Best and durable roads are achieved during rainy season, due to possible repetitive filling and compaction, although it will in cure more cost, but if its safer to achieve that best result, then safety comes first.

Better roads during the rainy season due to repetitive filling and compaction??.... I sincerely hope you are not a highway engineer. Even those who mould eba and pound yam know the limits of water in their puddings.

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Reference(m): 10:53am On Aug 22, 2014
Oklander: Even if its possible, I see no reason why they would do that as Road construction is best during rainy season...
Edit
Don't mean constructing when its raining. Best and durable roads are achieved during rainy season, due to possible repetitive filling and compaction, although it will in cure more cost, but if its safer to achieve that best result, then safety comes first.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Reference(m): 10:56am On Aug 22, 2014
Oklander:
If you are referring to road expansion and contraction during hot and cold whether, those are factors taken care of during the design irrespective of the season.

Water control is very crucial in road constructions, it is one of the most important factors considered. If the road is constructed during dry season and by chance the movement and possible effects of water is not properly "predicted" and taken care of, the road will be as good as "finish", The end(destruction) starts the following season(rainy). So its best during the rainy season as during this time you would be able to see and eliminate possible future effects of water that may probably leads to destruction.

Not correct sir.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by vislabraye(m): 11:05am On Aug 22, 2014
Wonders !!! Been hearing about it. I know Prophet Elijah was the first rainmaker grin
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by cyborg1(m): 11:14am On Aug 22, 2014
kel4soft:

Is it very expensive? Are you sure you wont alter nature which may come back to hurt us.

See the offer below. But I know there are others that offer it for less. Just visit a trusted online or offline pharmaceutical shops.

Research has it that the quantity used to seed cloud is 100times far less than the quantity emitted by industrial productions and other sources, as other compouds or simillar. As such, harmless to be taken as rain drinking water.
It can only affect temporal whether, but not seasonal climates of nature, which is controled by constant latitudinal positioning of the globe.
And since it is not reactive to the the O3 ie ozone layer, that makes it eco-friendly.

http://www.ebiochem.com/product/silver-iodide-18581
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by cyborg1(m): 11:16am On Aug 22, 2014
kel4soft:

See the offer below. But I know there are others that offer it for less.

Research has it that the quantity used to seed cloud is 100times far less than the quantity emitted by industrial productions and other sources, as other compouds or simillar. As such, harmless to be taken as rain drinking water.
It can only affect temporal whether, but not seasonal climates of nature, which is controled by latitudinal positioning of the globe.
And since it is not reactive to the the O3 ie ozone layer, that makes it eco-friendly.

http://www.ebiochem.com/product/silver-iodide-18581
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by princedegreat(m): 11:28am On Aug 22, 2014
the control the. rain through some means even here if there is an occasion without. paying the rain makers it won't be successful cos rain won't give you. the space
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by iamord(m): 11:29am On Aug 22, 2014
vislabraye: Wonders !!! Been hearing about it. I know Prophet Elijah was the first rainmaker grin

On paper that is
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by 9inches(m): 11:40am On Aug 22, 2014
We heard as kids a tale about how Zik tricked a mami-water (mermaid) into a bottle before Niger bridge was constructed?
Childhood memories though cool

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Oklander: 12:18pm On Aug 22, 2014
Reference:

Better roads during the rainy season due to repetitive filling and compaction??.... I sincerely hope you are not a highway engineer. Even those who mould eba and pound yam know the limits of water in their puddings.
First, I said "possible". Secondly, I quite know the effect of excess water during compaction and this is not in that aspect. Sir, I am not saying the work should be on while its raining.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by englishmart(m): 12:20pm On Aug 22, 2014
Nihilist:

This is the 1st time you have told the truth in your entire life.
I always knew you were a bricklayer....
its conspicuous you have a problem with English.
I said I worked there 2years ago.

Moreover, you can't even work there, even if u are a master in civil engineering.
Look, I'm a civil engineer, so I worked there for 9months as a site engineer on one of the towers (commercial tower) before I left abuja for the states.
Below is the picture of the tower
If you are not ok with this, then go to hell.

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by englishmart(m): 12:20pm On Aug 22, 2014
Nihilist:

This is the 1st time you have told the truth in your entire life.
I always knew you were a bricklayer....
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by rexbuton: 1:02pm On Aug 22, 2014
Castroii: u are right, infact julius berger has an xpatriate in jujuism especially on projects dt has 2 do with water bodies........no mata hw strong d marine spirit dey, berger go put am 4 bottle, den continue dia wrk
This is very true.. My dad worked a Lebanese construction company that designed a major bridge across the River Benue. The water spirit would steal their materials at night, so the engineer struck a deal with the spirit with his life. He placed it in a bottle and even brought it on site. on the day of commissioning the bridge, the white engineer just fell off the bridge and died

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Men Spend More Time Gossping Than Women - Study / Logicboy Tells Why He Left Nairaland / A Thread For Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.