Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,962 members, 7,952,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:29 AM

Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? (13428 Views)

FACTS OR FICTIONS? / Nigerian Companies And The Owners Risk / Nigerian It Companies And Email (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by hardbody: 1:08pm On Aug 22, 2014
Mushood: guy, dis is engineering and neither burial nor engagement, just told u how it works in construction industry.

Lol. Engineer e kabo ooo.

which specialization? Aeronautical dynamics BA....

bros make I go upstairs go chop lunch abeg

1 Like

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Bryan12(m): 1:23pm On Aug 22, 2014
[quote author=rexbuton]
This is very true.. My dad worked a Lebanese construction company that designed a major bridge across the River Benue. The water spirit would steal their materials at night, so the engineer struck a deal with the spirit with his life. He placed it in a bottle and even brought it on site. on the day of commissioning the bridge, the white engineer just fell off the bridge and died lipsrsealed
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by LeoFish92(m): 1:48pm On Aug 22, 2014
little wonder why it never rains during the Enugu international trade fair which lasts for weeks....#juju things#
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 22, 2014
kel4soft: This thread is open for Civil Engineers and other related fields who are in highway doing what you know how to do best.

I want to know, does your company use rainmakers in projects? or is there any chemical (science) that suspends precipitation?

In 2007-2009, I noticed something, when Julius Berger was constructing Eleme Junction Interchange here in Port Harcourt, the rains didn't pour as usual. It is either falling everywhere except at Eleme Junction, or the duration of rainfall is minimal when compare to other areas in the state. It was like the dry season was stretched some folks believed JB actually controls the rains.

Is it a fact or fiction?

Discuss!

When you said rainmakers I thought you were talking about savants as in the movie!
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by snthesis(m): 7:11pm On Aug 22, 2014
rexbuton:
This is very true.. My dad worked a Lebanese construction company that designed a major bridge across the River Benue. The water spirit would steal their materials at night, so the engineer struck a deal with the spirit with his life. He placed it in a bottle and even brought it on site. on the day of commissioning the bridge, the white engineer just fell off the bridge and died
he gave his life for a bridge
bro hav u been smoking that ish again angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Numerouuuno: 8:31pm On Aug 22, 2014
snthesis:
he gave his life for a bridge
bro hav u been smoking that ish again angry angry angry
I'm also amazed at his tale, quite hard to believe.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by tomiobj(m): 11:06pm On Aug 22, 2014
kel4soft: This thread is open for Civil Engineers and other related fields who are in highway doing what you know how to do best.

I want to know, does your company use rainmakers in projects? or is there any chemical (science) that suspends precipitation?

In 2007-2009, I noticed something, when Julius Berger was constructing Eleme Junction Interchange here in Port Harcourt, the rains didn't pour as usual. It is either falling everywhere except at Eleme Junction, or the duration of rainfall is minimal when compare to other areas in the state. It was like the dry season was stretched some folks believed JB actually controls the rains.

Is it a fact or fiction?

Discuss!

It's true there are chemicals used to stop rain(refer to google). Just like the Chinese did during the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The problem is that m nt sure if they do it in nigeria
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by LeSaint(m): 1:19am On Aug 23, 2014
tomiobj:

It's true there are chemicals used to stop rain(refer to google). Just like the Chinese did during the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The problem is that m nt sure if they do it in nigeria

There are chemicals used to CAUSE precipitation (rain of snow-fall), not to stop rain. The only way to stop rain is to cause precipitation in a particular area ahead of the time you don't want rain there. That's what the Chinese did for the 2008 Olympics opening, and during the events.

Now "rainmakers", just like ritual money doublers and multipliers, are fraudsters who prey on the ignorance and superstition that permeate our society. They do not know a thing about the subject, and CANNOT do a thing about it. You need an aircraft or a rocket filled with Silver Iodide or some other cloud seeding agent to achieve that, not chanting abracadabra from a rickety hut. I am village born and bred and I have seen it all.
Julius Berger or any engineering firm worth its name would never go that way, rather they go the Met office and subscribe to detailed dynamic weather forecasts for their area of operation.
It's disturbing that an overwhelming majority of us still believe these things. Enlighten up, people!
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Aug 23, 2014
Rainmakers are highly patronised during political rallies/functions, weddings, building and construction, funeralsand virtually everything in our day to day life. I have seen rain being held myself before: during my friend's traditional marriage ceremony in Kwale, Delta state, her family didn't pay homage to/settle one particular rain-maker from her kindred. All other rain-makers got settled except this man who the community saw as a quiet man.
On the morning of her marriage, heavy rain and thunder started. The clouds became so dark and everybody began to panic. Her eldest brother remembered that quiet old man and ran to his house. The old man was sitting at his backyard; a big pot was on the fire, empty without contents. He was chanting incantations. When he saw my friend's brother and laughed saying "I thought nobody would come". He begged the old man and the old man told him to bring a carton of Guinness stout and a Billy goat and a 4,000 naira. All the items were brought, the man sent his little son to bring something under his bed, he plucked a leaf from a hidden corner of his house, went to the fire, chanted some stuff, threw the leaf into the empty put while holding the "under-the-bed-thing". He asked the youngman to look in the direction of their house, he looked and the rain stopped instantly.
The marriage went well and that old rain-maker ate, drank and danced the most.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by iamord(m): 12:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: Rainmakers are highly patronised during political rallies/functions, weddings, building and construction, funeralsand virtually everything in our day to day life. I have seen rain being held myself before: during my friend's traditional marriage ceremony in Kwale, Delta state, her family didn't pay homage to/settle one particular rain-maker from her kindred. All other rain-makers got settled except this man who the community saw as a quiet man.
On the morning of her marriage, heavy rain and thunder started. The clouds became so dark and everybody began to panic. Her eldest brother remembered that quiet old man and ran to his house. The old man was sitting at his backyard; a big pot was on the fire, empty without contents. He was chanting incantations. When he saw my friend's brother and laughed saying "I thought nobody would come". He begged the old man and the old man told him to bring a carton of Guinness stout and a Billy goat and a 4,000 naira. All the items were brought, the man sent his little son to bring something under his bed, he plucked a leaf from a hidden corner of his house, went to the fire, chanted some stuff, threw the leaf into the empty put while holding the "under-the-bed-thing". He asked the youngman to look in the direction of their house, he looked and the rain stopped instantly.
The marriage went well and that old rain-maker ate, drank and danced the most.

Fascinating Story.. My problem with this People is That they. Use their power to. Satisfy their personal greed
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 23, 2014
iamord:

Fascinating Story.. My problem with this People is That they. Use their power to. Satisfy their personal greed
yes! Indeed! And alcohol is always tops on their list of things to bring... Like another poster said, they look haggard, live wretchedly and die prematurely. What a mess.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Gynacologist(m): 4:26pm On Sep 19, 2014
jesse8048: Have nothing to say, so permit me to throw my mat and see if I can learn something here.
lol......fire on bat no slip.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Gynacologist(m): 4:29pm On Sep 19, 2014
kel4soft:

Absolute spot on. But do you believe in any voodoo involve in suspending or is it just ones imagination?
dnt bliv tat poo man.
Re: Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions? by Gynacologist(m): 4:30pm On Sep 19, 2014
diablos: Stopping rain is d most minute of things that julius berger does. They even capture spirits n deities dat attempt to hinder dia construction work.
dude hw did u knw tat?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Men Spend More Time Gossping Than Women - Study / Certified Business / Nairaland Award Tag For Year 2013!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.