Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,514 members, 7,958,561 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 05:15 PM

Poor Jesus, Rich Christians - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Poor Jesus, Rich Christians (2278 Views)

Can Rich Christians Make This Happen? Another N100, 000 up for grabs! / Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? / Rich Churches, Poor Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 11:18am On Aug 23, 2014
Image123:

The verses you referred to aren't incidents or events. Incidents and events aren't synonyms for 'one-off'.
Let's not argue about events and incidents in the bible. Kindly give us instances in the bible where christ made a poor person rich. He never collected 'monetary tithes.' from his followers and never asked them to sow seeds. He even fed the flock after teaching them. Whoever does that in today's church?

1 Like

Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 11:33am On Aug 23, 2014
Image123:
oh, so those verses were referring to Jesus'purse?
The verses are signs that his gospel does not fit what you've been advocating all along. Its all about humility and does not potray greed and avarice. And mind you its never been `about the benjamins'.

1 Like

Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 11:52am On Aug 23, 2014
Image123:

What are you saying exactly? Do you want to be rich? If being rich is an undeserved FAVOUR from God, then why do you seem to be averse to it?
My point is God never created everone to be rich. Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar. Two things have i required of thee,deny me them not before i die: remove far from vanity and lies:give me neither poverty nor riches;feed me with food convenient for me: Lest i be full, and deny thee, and say, who is the LORD? or lest i be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain. Prov 30:5-9. If all christians were to become extremely wealthy as the prosperity teachers would have us belive,the question is how economically viable and sustainable is it?

1 Like

Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 5:24pm On Aug 23, 2014
seagulsntrawler: Let's not argue about events and incidents in the bible. Kindly give us instances in the bible where christ made a poor person rich. He never collected 'monetary tithes.' from his followers and never asked them to sow seeds. He even fed the flock after teaching them. Whoever does that in today's church?

Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

He came to declare good news to the poor. Have you sold your goods and given the proceeds to the poor?

1 Like

Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 5:26pm On Aug 23, 2014
seagulsntrawler: The verses are signs that his gospel does not fit what you've been advocating all along. Its all about humility and does not potray greed and avarice. And mind you its never been `about the benjamins'.

Isaiah 53:1, 2 doesn't refer to Jesus' purpose imho. What am i advocating again?
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 5:30pm On Aug 23, 2014
seagulsntrawler: My point is God never created everone to be rich. Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar. Two things have i required of thee,deny me them not before i die: remove far from vanity and lies:give me neither poverty nor riches;feed me with food convenient for me: Lest i be full, and deny thee, and say, who is the LORD? or lest i be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain. Prov 30:5-9. If all christians were to become extremely wealthy as the prosperity teachers would have us belive,the question is how economically viable and sustainable is it?

Hmmmm, God never created everyone to be rich according to your logic.Who talked about being extremely wealthy?
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 8:41pm On Aug 23, 2014
Image123:

Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

He came to declare good news to the poor. Have you sold your goods and given the proceeds to the poor?

From the postings I made earlier on, the good news was not to make the poor rich but to save mankind. It is not meant to be a money making venture for the leader and those being led. The gospel of prosperity, for believers has made it look like a `kalo kalo' business. It is an attempt to cheapens what Christ died for on the cross. The question of selling my goods and giving to the poor doesn't arise here cos its deviating from the topic. Mind you the good news should not be seen from the prism of sharing money. We are meant to take care of the poor at all time as christians and not to make merchandise of them.

1 Like

Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 8:50pm On Aug 23, 2014
Image123:

Isaiah 53:1, 2 doesn't refer to Jesus' purpose imho. What am i advocating again?

Whatever suits you as regards the verse.
You are advocating a brand of christianity that runs contrary to the mission of our saviour on earth.

1 Like

Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 9:00pm On Aug 23, 2014
Image123:

Hmmmm, God never created everyone to be rich according to your logic.Who talked about being extremely wealthy?
If he did, we should all be rich, going by your logic, and many of the early apostles were not known for being rich. Perhaps, they may have violated some of the so called kingdom principles being touted by preachers of prosperity gospel.

2 Likes

Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 24, 2014
Ramon92: God has blessed us in his riches and abundance..[Phil 4:19] Jesus was just saying his own..

grin grin grin christianity and confusion, today it's what jesus said, tomorrow it's what paul said.
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Ramon92: 2:59pm On Aug 24, 2014
Rilwayne001:

grin grin and if they tell you paul founded xtianity, u will say no grin
Lmao grin grin
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 24, 2014
Image123:
Christians are already born again duh. Those are synonyms.
You really do enjoy making stuff up as we go along. Jesus' conservation with Nicodemus took place a long time before anyone was referred to as a Christian. This una personal Holy Spirit translation na wa o.. grin King James would have sent most of you Holy Spritilized miscreants to the gallows. grin

Image123:
Today, you cannot be a christian without being born again or vice versa.
So all Christians are born-again? grin

Image123:
I also said that "an incidence is not NECESSARILY a command for all".
Please, who decides which is a command for all and which isn't? I can produce lots of verses that corroborate the verse in the OP.

Luke 12
13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” 14 Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” 15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”
33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Image123:
Don't disappoint the investment made on you na.
Na wetin Jesus say I make i tell you... tongue
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by dorox(m): 8:37pm On Aug 24, 2014
I got this from a Jehovah's Witness magazine, I hope it helps in explaining the bible's viewpoint of money. My apologies for the length, I would appreciate it if anybody can do a good job in summarizing the article.
How Can You Keep a Balanced View of Money?

Love of money and a desire for possessions are not new; nor is the Bible silent about them, as if they were some recent phenomena. They are very old. In the Law, God instructed the Israelites: “You must not desire your fellowman’s house . . . nor anything that belongs to your fellowman.”—Exodus 20:17.

LOVE of money and possessions was common in Jesus’ day. Consider this report of an exchange between Jesus and a “very rich” young man. “Jesus said to him: ‘There is yet one thing lacking about you: Sell all the things you have and distribute to poor people, and you will have treasure in the heavens; and come be my follower.’ When he heard this, he became deeply grieved, for he was very rich.”—Luke 18:18-23.
A Proper View of Money
It would be wrong, however, to conclude that the Bible condemns money itself or any of its basic uses. The Bible shows that money provides a practical defense against poverty and its attendant troubles, enabling people to procure necessities. King Solomon wrote: “Wisdom is for a protection the same as money is for a protection.” And: “Bread is for the laughter of the workers, and wine itself makes life rejoice; but money is what meets a response in all things.”—Ecclesiastes 7:12; 10:19.
The proper use of money is approved by God. For example, Jesus said: “Make friends for yourselves by means of the unrighteous riches.” (Luke 16:9) This includes contributing toward the advancement of the true worship of God, for we definitely should want God as our Friend. Solomon himself, following the example of his father, David, contributed large amounts of money and valuables toward the building of Jehovah’s temple. Another Christian mandate is to give material assistance to those in need. “Share with the holy ones according to their needs,” said the apostle Paul. He added: “Follow the course of hospitality.” (Romans 12:13) This often involves spending some money. However, what about the love of money?
‘The Fondness of Silver’
Paul discussed extensively “the love of money”—or literally, “fondness of silver”—when he was writing to his younger fellow Christian Timothy. Paul’s admonition can be found at 1 Timothy 6:6-19. He commented on “the love of money” as part of his broader consideration of material things. We do well to study carefully Paul’s inspired comments, in view of the emphasis today’s culture puts on money. Such an examination is definitely beneficial because it brings in the secret of how to “get a firm hold on the real life.”
Paul warns: “The love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.” (1 Timothy 6:10) This text does not say that money itself is evil—nor does any other scripture. Neither does the apostle say that money is the fundamental cause of “injurious things” or that money lies at the root of every problem. Rather, the love of money can be a cause—even if not the only cause—of all kinds of “injurious things.”
Guard Against Greed
The fact that money itself is not condemned in the Scriptures should not blunt Paul’s warning. Christians who begin to love money are vulnerable to all kinds of problems, the worst of which is that of straying from the faith. This truth is reinforced by what Paul said to the Christians in Colossae: “Deaden, therefore, your body members that are upon the earth as respects . . . hurtful desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.” (Colossians 3:5) How may covetousness, greed, or “love of money” amount to idolatry? Does this mean that it is wrong to want a bigger house, a newer car, a more profitable job? No, none of these things are evil in themselves. The question is: What is the heart attitude that makes one want any of these things, and are they really necessary?
The difference between normal desire and greed might be likened to the difference between the small campfire that cooks food and the blazing inferno that consumes a forest. Wholesome and well-placed desire can be constructive. It motivates us to work and to be productive. Proverbs 16:26 says: “The soul of the hard worker has worked hard for him, because his mouth has pressed him hard.” But greed is dangerous and destructive. It is desire out of control.
Control is a core issue. Will the money we accumulate or the material things we want serve our needs, or will our needs serve money? That is why Paul says that being a “greedy person . . . means being an idolater.” (Ephesians 5:5) To be greedy for something in reality means that we surrender our will to it—in effect, we make it our master, our god, the thing we serve. In contrast, God insists: “You must not have any other gods against my face.”—Exodus 20:3.
Our being greedy also indicates that we do not trust that God will follow through on his promise to supply what we need. (Matthew 6:33) Greed, then, amounts to a turning away from God. In this sense too, it is “idolatry.” No wonder Paul warns so clearly against it!
Jesus also gave a direct warning against greed. He commanded us to guard against longing for something that we do not have: “Keep your eyes open and guard against every sort of covetousness, because even when a person has an abundance his life does not result from the things he possesses.” (Luke 12:15) According to this passage and Jesus’ subsequent illustration, greed is based on the foolish belief that what matters in life is how much one has. It may be money, status, power, or related things. It is possible to be greedy for anything that can be acquired. The idea is that having that thing will make us content. But according to the Bible and human experience, only God can—and will—satisfy our real needs, as Jesus reasoned with his followers.—Luke 12:22-31.
Today’s consumer-oriented culture excels at kindling the fires of greed. Influenced in subtle yet powerful ways, many come to believe that whatever they have is not enough. They need more, bigger, and better things. While we cannot hope to change the world around us, how can we personally resist this trend?
Contentment Versus Greed
Paul offers the alternative to greed, which is contentment. He says: “So, having sustenance and covering, we shall be content with these things.” (1 Timothy 6:cool This description of all that we really need—“sustenance and covering”—may sound rather simplistic or naive. Many people are entertained by television programs where viewers visit celebrities who live in luxurious homes. That is no way to attain contentment.
Of course, servants of God are not required to live in self-imposed poverty. (Proverbs 30:8, 9) However, Paul does remind us what poverty really is: lack of food, clothing, and shelter adequate for survival where one lives. On the other hand, if we have those things, we have the basis for contentment.
Could Paul be serious about such a description of contentment? Is it really possible to be satisfied with merely the basics—food, clothing, and shelter? Paul should know. He experienced firsthand the wealth and privileges of high rank in the Jewish community and of Roman citizenship. (Acts 22:28; 23:6; Philippians 3:5) Paul also suffered severe hardships in his missionary activities. (2 Corinthians 11:23-28) Through it all, he learned a secret that helped him to maintain contentment. What was that?
“I Have Learned the Secret”
Paul explained in one of his letters: “I know indeed how to be low on provisions, I know indeed how to have an abundance. In everything and in all circumstances I have learned the secret of both how to be full and how to hunger, both how to have an abundance and how to suffer want.” (Philippians 4:12) Paul sounds so confident, so optimistic! It would be easy to assume that his life was rosy when he wrote these words but not so. He was in prison in Rome!—Philippians 1:12-14.
Given that sobering fact, this passage speaks powerfully on the issue of contentment not only with material possessions but with circumstances as well. Extremes of wealth or hardship can test our priorities. Paul spoke of spiritual resources that enabled him to be content regardless of material circumstances: “For all things I have the strength by virtue of [God] who imparts power to me.” (Philippians 4:13) Rather than looking to his possessions, many or few, or to his circumstances, good or bad, Paul looked to God to satisfy his needs. The result was contentment.
Paul’s example was especially important to Timothy. The apostle urged that young man to pursue a life-style that put godly devotion and a close relationship with God before wealth. Paul said: “However, you, O man of God, flee from these things. But pursue righteousness, godly devotion, faith, love, endurance, mildness of temper.” (1 Timothy 6:11) Those words may have been addressed to Timothy, but they apply to anyone who wants to honor God and to have a really happy life.
Timothy needed to watch out for greed just like any other Christian. Apparently, there were wealthy believers in the congregation in Ephesus, where he was when Paul wrote to him. (1 Timothy 1:3) Paul had entered this prosperous commercial center with the good news of Christ, making many converts. No doubt, a number of these were wealthy people, as is true of some in the Christian congregation today.
The question, then, especially in the light of the teaching at 1 Timothy 6:6-10, is: What should people with more than the average amount of money do if they want to honor God? Paul says that they should start by examining their attitude. Money has a tendency to create feelings of self-sufficiency. Paul says: “Give orders to those who are rich in the present system of things not to be high-minded, and to rest their hope, not on uncertain riches, but on God, who furnishes us all things richly for our enjoyment.” (1 Timothy 6:17) People of means have to learn to look beyond their money; they need to look to God, the original source of any wealth.
But attitude is only half the battle. Sooner or later, wealthy Christians need to use their wealth well. Paul admonishes: ‘Work at good, be rich in fine works, be liberal, ready to share.’—1 Timothy 6:18.
“The Real Life”
The thrust of Paul’s counsel is that we need to remind ourselves of the relative worth of material things. God’s Word says: “The valuable things of the rich are his strong town, and they are like a protective wall in his imagination.” (Proverbs 18:11) Yes, the security that riches can provide is in the end only imagined and is actually deceptive. It is wrong to center our lives on them rather than on gaining God’s approval.
The uncertainty of material wealth makes it far too fragile to fix our hope on. Genuine hope must be moored to something strong, meaningful, and lasting. Christian hope is fixed on our Creator, Jehovah God, and his promise of everlasting life. While it is true that money cannot buy happiness, it is even more true that money cannot buy salvation. Only our faith in God can give us such hope.
So whether we are wealthy or poor, let us pursue a course in life that will make us “rich toward God.” (Luke 12:21) Nothing is more valuable than an approved standing with the Creator. All efforts to maintain it contribute to our ‘treasuring up for ourselves a fine foundation for the future, in order that we may get a firm hold on the real life.’—1 Timothy 6:19.
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 9:37pm On Aug 24, 2014
dorox: I got this from a Jehovah's Witness magazine, I hope it helps in explaining the bible's viewpoint of money. My apologies for the length, I would appreciate it if anybody can do a good job in summarizing the article.
A great and enlightening piece.
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 12:58am On Aug 25, 2014
seagulsntrawler:

From the postings I made earlier on, the good news was not to make the poor rich but to save mankind. It is not meant to be a money making venture for the leader and those being led. The gospel of prosperity, for believers has made it look like a `kalo kalo' business. It is an attempt to cheapens what Christ died for on the cross. The question of selling my goods and giving to the poor doesn't arise here cos its deviating from the topic. Mind you the good news should not be seen from the prism of sharing money. We are meant to take care of the poor at all time as christians and not to make merchandise of them.

You're apparently the one limiting riches to money, not me. Jesus SPECIFICALLY says He has good news FOR the poor, not just for the sinner or unsaved. Another verse says clearly that He Jesus became poor that we may be rich. You yourself stated earlier that being rich is a favour from God. i'm not here to discuss or support the abuse of the gospel, it would however be incomplete to forget or ignore the fact that there is good news for the poor.
Selling your goods and giving it to the poor is exactly what the thread is about. kindly read the OP again. Have you sold your goods and given the proceeds to the poor?
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 1:01am On Aug 25, 2014
seagulsntrawler:

Whatever suits you as regards the verse.
You are advocating a brand of christianity that runs contrary to the mission of our saviour on earth.

What? What brand of Christianity is that? This one na heavy accusation oh, kindly explain what you mean with proofs.
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 1:12am On Aug 25, 2014
seagulsntrawler:
If he did, we should all be rich, going by your logic, and many of the early apostles were not known for being rich. Perhaps, they may have violated some of the so called kingdom principles being touted by preachers of prosperity gospel.

It is Jesus that took the sins of the world on His shoulder, not me. Kindly discuss with me from what i say not from what you think i'll say, or what all opposing views might have said.
going by your logic, we should all be saved and glorifying God since that's what God wants and created us for.
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 1:40am On Aug 25, 2014
musKeeto:
You really do enjoy making stuff up as we go along. Jesus' conservation with Nicodemus took place a long time before anyone was referred to as a Christian. This una personal Holy Spirit translation na wa o.. grin King James would have sent most of you Holy Spritilized miscreants to the gallows. grin

So all Christians are born-again? grin

Please, who decides which is a command for all and which isn't? I can produce lots of verses that corroborate the verse in the OP.

Luke 12

Na wetin Jesus say I make i tell you... tongue

Nothing made up. You asked if it is important for christians to be born again. It's like asking if it's important for all boys to be male.
All scriptures is given by God's inspiration and profitable. The question should be what profit, meaning and application of verse or passage.
Mostly, you know if an incidence is a command usually by context and corroboration, also by biblical practice and by God's spirit. The Luke 12 passage is a good one. It is a parable. Parables have deeper meaning than the seemingly obvious. In short words, it means not to be attached to earthly possession and ready to do without them. Not fixed on acquiring them or keeping them.

1 Like

Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 2:20am On Aug 25, 2014
On Luke 12 before you start yapping
Luke 12:41 Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all?

Peter knew that passage a parable. Can't type much, i'm using a mobile phone.

Luke 12:1 In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. 12:2 For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.

Leaven of Pharisees is not physical bread. Verse 2is with context.

Luke 12:11 And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say:
Take no thought is to not be anxious or afraid. It's not saying not to think before talking.

Luke 12:14 And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you?
Of course, Jesus is the Judge of the whole earth, but in context, He's not in charge of dividing this man's property.

Luke 12:29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
Not saying not to work, get a job or think, though the verse can equally be misconstrued to mean that in isolation. One has to be careful interpreting parables and all scriptures really.
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 6:51am On Aug 25, 2014
Image123:

You're apparently the one limiting riches to money, not me. Jesus SPECIFICALLY says He has good news FOR the poor, not just for the sinner or unsaved. Another verse says clearly that He Jesus became poor that we may be rich. You yourself stated earlier that being rich is a favour from God. i'm not here to discuss or support the abuse of the gospel, it would however be incomplete to forget or ignore the fact that there is good news for the poor.
Selling your goods and giving it to the poor is exactly what the thread is about. kindly read the OP again. Have you sold your goods and given the proceeds to the poor?
The OP made a challenge to preachers of properity teachings in christendom. You should go through his first post. Iam neither a preacher of prosperity nor have i enriched myself with money from seeds and tithes. So when he said 'good news' was he refering to the sharing of money to the poor. And if good news is making the poor rich, kindly back it up with scriptural proof. If he died for us to be rich physically and not spiritually, why was Paul not rich and even thanked patrons for donations made towards the cause. He need only pull out gold coins from his pocket if he had the money. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 7:02am On Aug 25, 2014
Image123:

What? What brand of Christianity is that? This one na heavy accusation oh, kindly explain what you mean with proofs.
The post you made and endorsed in the first page gave you away as a teacher/adherent of prosperity preaching that OP refered to.
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Alwaystrue(f): 7:07am On Aug 25, 2014
musKeeto: Matthew 19

To those who are fervent supporters of the prosperity gospel, how does this verse fit into your 'prosperity theology'?

CONTEXT. WHOLESOME WORDS OF CHRIST.

What did the young man lack! He lacked LOVE! He did not LACK POVERTY. The gospel of Luke even said 'He lacked one thing?'. What he lacked is captured in why he couldn't give. That was an area Christ wanted Him to Trust Him.

He wanted eternal life, He had to make Jesus HIS LORD, which involved BELIEVING HIM. He could not. Today many claim to believe Jesus yet cannot even believe and do what He says.
This was what he was afraid to do. Jesus caught him at the point he could not let go of.

Alwaystrue:

Matthew 19:20-22
20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”
21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

LOL. This young man seemed to be or may have been baiting Jesus. But at the end of the day, He could not give all He had and follow Jesus even though giving our all to Jesus does not mean we will still not have more possessions, infact he will even be much more blessed.

[b]Matthew 19:29

And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, AND shall inherit everlasting life

Mark 10:30
But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time
, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life

I Timothy 6:17-19
17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us RICHLY ALL things to enjoy
18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
19 Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life

The scriptures are really wholesome. All we need is just patience to meditate and learn the truth.
(edited)
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Nobody: 7:24am On Aug 25, 2014
Alwaystrue:
He did not LACK POVERTY.
Dear Lord.... sad
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by malvisguy212: 7:24am On Aug 25, 2014
seagulsntrawler: My point is God never created everone to be rich. Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar. Two things have i required of thee,deny me them not before i die: remove far from vanity and lies:give me neither poverty nor riches;feed me with food convenient for me: Lest i be full, and deny thee, and say, who is the LORD? or lest i be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain. Prov 30:5-9. If all christians were to become extremely wealthy as the prosperity teachers would have us belive,the question is how economically viable and sustainable is it?
God never created everyone to be rich? It is this type of teaching that turn brothers to atheist,God has plans for every each of us,as long as you can afford what ever you need, YOU ARE RICH, riches dosent mean excess money,you should have just say'everyone with his/her destiny. Let me ask you a simple question IS JESUS POOR?
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by malvisguy212: 7:26am On Aug 25, 2014
musKeeto:
Dear Lord.... sad
can you gives us one thing jesus lack? Or the richman?
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 7:53am On Aug 25, 2014
Image123:

It is Jesus that took the sins of the world on His shoulder, not me. Kindly discuss with me from what i say not from what you think i'll say, or what all opposing views might have said.
going by your logic, we should all be saved and glorifying God since that's what God wants and created us for.
All the remarks i made were not insinuations. I don't believe what guarantees salvation is how rich you are on earth.
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 8:13am On Aug 25, 2014
malvisguy212: God never created everyone to be rich? It is this type of teaching that turn brothers to atheist,God has plans for every each of us,as long as you can afford what ever you need, YOU ARE RICH, riches dosent mean excess money,you should have just say'everyone with his/her destiny. Let me ask you a simple question IS JESUS POOR?
Iam not encouraging atheism. Talking about destiny, who decides and controls it? While he was on earth nothing potrayed him as a rich man. My previous posts have addressed your question. Rejoice greatly, o daughter of zion; shout, o daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvatio; lowly, and riding upon an ass,and upon a colt the foal of an ass. Zech9:9 The emphasis was what he came for and the humility he showed and not to enrich poor people as you'd have us believe. Ain't Kings supposed to ride on well adorned horses?
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 7:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
seagulsntrawler:
The OP made a challenge to preachers of properity teachings in christendom. You should go through his first post. Iam neither a preacher of prosperity nor have i enriched myself with money from seeds and tithes. So when he said 'good news' was he refering to the sharing of money to the poor. And if good news is making the poor rich, kindly back it up with scriptural proof. If he died for us to be rich physically and not spiritually, why was Paul not rich and even thanked patrons for donations made towards the cause. He need only pull out gold coins from his pocket if he had the money. Thanks

Your CONSTANT refusal to say if you've sold your possession and given the proceeds to the poor says it all. That is what the OP requires from you as a christian. Provision of wealth for the poor is good news, provision of health is equally good news just as salvation from divine wrath and sin is good news.
2 Corinthians 6:10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. 2 Corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

No matter how much these passages are 'spiritualized', they do leave the idea that Jesus wants His own to prosper, and financially too.
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 7:52pm On Aug 27, 2014
seagulsntrawler:
The post you made and endorsed in the first page gave you away as a teacher/adherent of prosperity preaching that OP refered to.
What? What post?
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by Image123(m): 7:56pm On Aug 27, 2014
seagulsntrawler: All the remarks i made were not insinuations. I don't believe what guarantees salvation is how rich you are on earth.

Your logic or belief is that if God doesn't want anyone to be poor then why are some poor. Use the same lens to see that some are sinners and not glorifying God even though God wants otherwise. If God's will and want is automatic, Christ would not tell anyone to pray "Thy will be done in earth".
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by dorox(m): 8:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
Image123:

Your logic or belief is that if God doesn't want anyone to be poor then why are some poor. Use the same lens to see that some are sinners and not glorifying God even though God wants otherwise. If God's will and want is automatic, Christ would not tell anyone to pray "Thy will be done in earth".
Going by your statement, it means that a poor christian is a sinner and only the rich christians are truly serving God the right way.
Re: Poor Jesus, Rich Christians by seagulsntrawler: 12:32am On Aug 28, 2014
Image123:

Your CONSTANT refusal to say if you've sold your possession and given the proceeds to the poor says it all. That is what the OP requires from you as a christian. Provision of wealth for the poor is good news, provision of health is equally good news just as salvation from divine wrath and sin is good news.
2 Corinthians 6:10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. 2 Corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

No matter how much these passages are 'spiritualized', they do leave the idea that Jesus wants His own to prosper, and financially too.
Iam not a proponent of that perversed brand of christianity.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nairaland Christians And Taqiya|idtirar / Wonderful Igbo Worship Song / Biafra And The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.