Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? (1186 Views)

Sanusi Lamido Explodes: How Vested Interests Are Killing Nigeria / Corruption or Ethnicity: Which Is Killing Nigeria Most? / Aguiyi-ironsi Killed True Federalism In Nigeria, Says Ishola Williams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by 4congo: 11:56am On Aug 22, 2014
I will say my own opinion, I do think Federalism is Killing Nigeria! Until we decentralize many government functions this country won't progress. Our governors, LGA Chairmen are all hiding under federal government to under perform. In some states you have structures failing or lacking but because its under federal government the state governor won't bath an eye, even when fixing those issues will better the life of the people in the state.

How long before we realize that Federal government in Nigeria can never be competent, Federal civil service is story for another day, that's why am disappointed the the recently concluded conference didn't touch on our structure of government.

It is easier to develop this country state by state, LGA by LGA; creating healthy competition between states and LGAs.

Let's keep hoping for miracle that may never come, whereas we have the power to be better. Heaven helps those who help themselves!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by vicadex07(m): 1:13pm On Aug 22, 2014
If this has been the only acheivement of the just concluded confab, it would have been worthwhile afterall

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 1:56pm On Aug 22, 2014
As nice as it sounds, I believe it would not work in an environment like Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 2:01pm On Aug 22, 2014
And to add to that, it might work in the next hundred years but not really in the foreseeable future, one of the reasons is the pace of Growth in most states without viable resources would find it difficult to compete with other states, and you'll then have a system were some states are termed pauper states while others as luxurious states, thereby causing more divide between the rich and poor, Oligarchy I believe is the word. OLIGARCHY money is power.
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by 4congo: 4:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
bolaino: And to add to that, it might work in the next hundred years but not really in the foreseeable future, one of the reasons is the pace of Growth in most states without viable resources would find it difficult to compete with other states, and you'll then have a system were some states are termed pauper states while others as luxurious states, thereby causing more divide between the rich and poor, Oligarchy I believe is the word. OLIGARCHY money is power.

The work of the federal government should be to distribute wealth so that these poor states can still have some funds while they find other means of revenue. What am advocating for is giving more responsibilities to states and LGAs.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by 4congo: 4:50pm On Aug 28, 2014
bolaino: As nice as it sounds, I believe it would not work in an environment like Nigeria.

How do you say it won't work? Weren't we practicing something similar when we operated Parliamentary system in the 60's. Evaluate government performance then and since it stopped.
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 7:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
4congo:

The work of the federal government should be to distribute wealth so that these poor states can still have some funds while they find other means of revenue. What am advocating for is giving more responsibilities to states and LGAs.
well, I understand what you're trying to say, and actually, theoretically it would be most helpful, but this brings up the touchy issue of state controlled police, Given the present political clime, would it be wise for us to have a state controlled police forces? Given the flagrant disrespect of human rights by our state Governors, having a state police would enhance their executive powers and make them more aggressive to opposition politicians. This is my opinion though, if you Give me ampule reasons to think other wise, I will. Thanks.
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by Dibiachukwu: 11:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nigeria has always been dead. Federalism made it too obvious.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by rocgirl: 12:14am On Aug 29, 2014
Nigerians have always been the clog in the developmental wheel of these country. That system of government isn't the problem, Nigerians are!

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by 4congo: 9:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
rocgirl: Nigerians have always been the clog in the developmental wheel of these country. That system of government isn't the problem, Nigerians are!
I very much agree with you. What do you think is the solution?
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by 4congo: 9:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
bolaino: well, I understand what you're trying to say, and actually, theoretically it would be most helpful, but this brings up the touchy issue of state controlled police, Given the present political clime, would it be wise for us to have a state controlled police forces? Given the flagrant disrespect of human rights by our state Governors, having a state police would enhance their executive powers and make them more aggressive to opposition politicians. This is my opinion though, if you Give me ampule reasons to think other wise, I will. Thanks.
The current police is still being manipulated by both state and federal government. I believe state will make it easier for the security agency to operate more effectively. This is because it's easier to maintain and manage smaller units. There is no harm in trying something different than we have now.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by papparatzzi2013: 10:11pm On Sep 16, 2014
The parliamentary system was working, though with its own manageable problems, before some greedy people out of their covetousness for power truncated our nascent democracy of.then and introduced a centralised system that has been the clog holding back the wheel of progress of this nation.
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by publicenemy(m): 10:16pm On Sep 16, 2014
grin
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by cjrane: 10:32pm On Sep 16, 2014
Has Nigeria ever practiced federalism ? NO!

We should drop the unitary system and practice true federalism and watch all the corruption and falsifications that bedevil Nigeria disappear.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by reedonne: 6:25am On Sep 17, 2014
cjrane: Has Nigeria ever practiced federalism ? NO!

We should drop the unitary system and practice true federalism and watch all the corruption and falsifications that bedevil Nigeria disappear.
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 7:31am On Sep 17, 2014
4congo:
The current police is still being manipulated by both state and federal government. I believe state will make it easier for the security agency to operate more effectively. This is because it's easier to maintain and manage smaller units. There is no harm in trying something different than we have now.
true, there is really no harm in trying something different and hope for the best.
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by apolonius(m): 7:40am On Sep 17, 2014
It has killed Nigeria;confederalism or unitarism is all we need!
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by reedonne: 7:57am On Sep 17, 2014
apolonius: It has killed Nigeria;confederalism or unitarism is all we need!
The main problem here is that we are not ready to talk about our problem before talking of solution.
Unitarism will destroy Nigeria because people will blame a hausa/yoruba/igbo/minorities president for everything therefore ethnic back insurgents will spring out which may end up making Nigeria look like somalia and libya.
As for confederalism, how will we divide the country.
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by apolonius(m): 8:01am On Sep 17, 2014
reedonne:
The main problem here is that we are not ready to talk about our problem before talking of solution.
Unitarism will destroy Nigeria because people will blame a hausa/yoruba/igbo/minorities president for everything therefore ethnic back insurgents will spring out which may end up making Nigeria look like somalia and libya.
As for confederalism, how will we divide the country.

Unitarism will fail if we are determined to allow morons to lead us;it will engender wholesale transformation and the highlighted problems avoided if visionaries and patriots are allowed to lead us under it.
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by reedonne: 10:21am On Sep 17, 2014
apolonius:

Unitarism will fail if we are determined to allow morons to lead us;it will engender wholesale transformation and the highlighted problems avoided if visionaries and patriots are allowed to lead us under it.
How do we find a leader that will be love by the whole nation?.
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by reedonne: 10:50am On Sep 17, 2014
Our first problem is tribal hatred and suspicion base on tribal affliation.
90% of every hausa man will be suspicious of any action taken by an Igbo president just as 90% of Igbo will be suspicious of any action taken by a northern president. The same with yoruba and minority ethnic group.
The only solution to this is a shared rule system. A system where the goverment wont be lead by an Igbo,hausa or Yoruba, a system where the 3 ethnic group will have the same number of representative.
Eg: If Nigeria is divided into 6 zone comprising of Yoruba zone, Igbo zone, Southern minorities zone, Northern minorities zone and Central zone.
The parliament of each of the zone should ratify a list of three people in which the NASS will choose one of them as zonal representative.
The 6 zonal representative will then form the goverment and every decision must have the support of atleast 4 of them. With a situation like this, there will be no problem of:
1)Suspicion base of tribal affliation since every decision will be ratify by atleast 4 rep from 4 different zones
2)Federal superiority over the states: Since the states pick the member of the FEC, the FEC members will follow the position of its zone at meetings and therefore zonal intrests will become national intrest.
3)A super powerful being who can destroy opposition, rig election, or even "islamicalize" or "christianize" Nigeria
4)Voting base on tribal affliation
5)It will reduce the chance of inter-ethnic war.
6)Side-lining of some ethnic from power.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by apolonius(m): 12:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
reedonne:
How do we find a leader that will be love by the whole nation?.

Maybe we should rather focus on finding a leader that will seriously and sincerely love the whole nation.smiley

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by reedonne: 1:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
apolonius:

Maybe we should rather focus on finding a leader that will seriously and sincerely love the whole nation.smiley
1) How?
2) What happens when his actions are misinterprinted. This could lead to a civil war.
BTW did you read this
reedonne:
Our first problem is tribal hatred and suspicion base on tribal affliation.
90% of every hausa man will be suspicious of any action taken by an Igbo president just as 90% of Igbo will be suspicious of any action taken by a northern president. The same with yoruba and minority ethnic group.
The only solution to this is a shared rule system. A system where the goverment wont be lead by an Igbo,hausa or Yoruba, a system where the 3 ethnic group will have the same number of representative.
Eg: If Nigeria is divided into 6 zone comprising of Yoruba zone, Igbo zone, Southern minorities zone, Northern minorities zone and Central zone.
The parliament of each of the zone should ratify a list of three people in which the NASS will choose one of them as zonal representative.
The 6 zonal representative will then form the goverment and every decision must have the support of atleast 4 of them. With a situation like this, there will be no problem of:
1)Suspicion base of tribal affliation since every decision will be ratify by atleast 4 rep from 4 different zones
2)Federal superiority over the states: Since the states pick the member of the FEC, the FEC members will follow the position of its zone at meetings and therefore zonal intrests will become national intrest.
3)A super powerful being who can destroy opposition, rig election, or even "islamicalize" or "christianize" Nigeria
4)Voting base on tribal affliation
5)It will reduce the chance of inter-ethnic war.
6)Side-lining of some ethnic from power.
apolonius:

1) How?
2) What happens when his actions are misinterprinted. This could lead to a civil war.
BTW did you read this
Re: Do You Think Federalism Is Killing Nigeria? by rocgirl: 11:52pm On Sep 20, 2014
4congo:
I very much agree with you. What do you think is the solution?

That model of government has been tested and proven to have worked effectively in countries which had adopted it, which atleast is a fact that show it works. The question should be, why hasn't it worked in ours ?
The answer is simple. Federalism needs an effective process (mostly strong institution and people oriented) to make it work.
In countries where federalism is practised as a goverance model, it's been effective simply because there are strong institutional and people oriented processes that has made it to! I put it to you that in Nigeria's case, it has never worked due to an apparent lack of the two--people and institutions.

Now to your question: Out of some of the things i think could be done to make federalism work in Nigeria, the most crucial should be these two:
(1) Embracing and accepting the strenght in our diversity: Nigeria's strenght lies in her diversity, a fact she hasn't fully come to terms with, unfortunately. The US is a classical example of the point i'm trying to butress.
As Nigerians, we should start unlearning tribal and ethnic bigotry (i said unlearn because it could be learned) and be re-orientated to see ourselves first as Nigerians before everything else.
You'd agree with me on the strenght, driving force and role patriotism plays in governance, especially at the angle we're considering it from.
(2) Presence of Strong Institutions and Effective People Oriented Processes: We need to have strong processes (people and institutions) in place to drive accountability, competence and committment in governance. Anything lesser than any of these three is completely unacceptable.
With these for a start, there'll be significant amount of lubrication and force needed to turn Nigeria's developmental wheel again, hopefully.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

“boko Haram Is Funded Through CBN” – Australian Hostage Negotiator / Ten Of The Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria / Armed Robbers No Fear Face; Dem Kill General Daughter (picx)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.