Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,258 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

Recommend A Book - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Recommend A Book (852 Views)

I Self-Published A Book! Thank You Nairaland / Would You Buy A Book Written In Pidgin English? / Let's Write A Book! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recommend A Book by missEmjay(f): 9:23pm On Aug 23, 2014
i'm an avid reader and having read a lot of books, i'll recommend any agatha christie's book for those who love detective stories and even if you don't, i still recommend her books. share your favorite books/authors too.
Re: Recommend A Book by LarrySun(m): 11:38pm On Aug 23, 2014
missEmjay: i'm an avid reader and having read a lot of books, i'll recommend any agatha christie's book for those who love detective stories and even if you don't, i still recommend her books. share your favorite books/authors too.
I have almost fifty of her books in paperback. My most favourite of her books are:

And then there were None
Murder on the Links
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Murder on the Orient Express

I also created a detective too:

First Nigerian abiding fictional detective: Detective Lot.

I recommend any Irving Wallace book.
Re: Recommend A Book by missEmjay(f): 6:47am On Aug 24, 2014
LarrySun:
I have almost fifty of her books in paperback. My most favourite of her books are:

And then there were None
Murder on the Links

fifty? that's a lot. and yea, those books you mentioned are awesome. who doesnt just love the great hercule poirot? i'll try irvin wallace too. think i've heard of him
Re: Recommend A Book by specimen23(m): 4:26pm On Aug 24, 2014
LarrySun:

And then there were None
Murder on the Links

I THINK I GOTTA TRY THIS AUTHOR.I LOVE READING DETECTIVE BOOKS ,AND MORE SO WHEN THEY AUTHOR USES FIRST PERSON NARRATION, ARMED WITH GOOD FIGURES OF SPEECH TO BETTER HELP THE IMAGINATION.
Re: Recommend A Book by missEmjay(f): 4:54pm On Aug 24, 2014
specimen23: I THINK I GOTTA TRY THIS AUTHOR.I LOVE READING DETECTIVE BOOKS ,AND MORE SO WHEN THEY AUTHOR USES FIRST PERSON NARRATION, ARMED WITH GOOD FIGURES OF SPEECH TO BETTER HELP THE IMAGINATION.
Interesting. Agatha Christie is the one for you then. Start with Murder of Roger Akroyd. Its a first person narration book and you can even download it online for free
Re: Recommend A Book by missEmjay(f): 7:00pm On Aug 24, 2014
@ LarrySun. how can I meet detective Lot. I'm sure he has a lot of stories to tell.
Re: Recommend A Book by HouseOfBalloons(f): 9:45pm On Aug 24, 2014
missEmjay: i'm an avid reader and having read a lot of books, i'll recommend any agatha christie's book for those who love detective stories and even if you don't, i still recommend her books. share your favorite books/authors too.
i'll recommend Looking For Alaska. That book changed my perspective of life.
Re: Recommend A Book by missEmjay(f): 10:25pm On Aug 24, 2014
HouseOfBalloons: i'll recommend Looking For Alaska. That book changed my perspective of life.
Aye aye sire. Thanks for contributing.
Re: Recommend A Book by missEmjay(f): 10:27pm On Aug 24, 2014
Don't just view please. share your favourite authors/books. There's love in sharing you know...
Re: Recommend A Book by missEmjay(f): 10:34pm On Aug 24, 2014
I'll also recommend:
•Adventures of Sherlock Holmes- Arthur Conan Doyle

• A little princess

• Importance of being Earnest- Wilfred Owen
More will be listed as the spirit leads
Re: Recommend A Book by LarrySun(m): 12:04am On Aug 25, 2014
missEmjay: @ LarrySun. how can I meet detective Lot. I'm sure he has a lot of stories to tell.
He first appeared in The Brand of Cain. It's on my signature. Let's see if you can guess out the murderer before Lot does smiley

This is the pitch:

A body outside the house, suspicion falls inside.
Africa’s first detective tackles one of the most baffling cases of his career.

Different people are brought together by a sheer twist of fate. Some are born to sweet delights where some others are born in beds of thorns. Heredity has been too strong on Richard Philip who was born poor at the wrong side of the blanket; an armed-robber rapes an innocent girl and Richard is the product. Now, after twenty-seven years, that child is heading the path of crime his father has once trod. He gets himself employed as the driver of a business tycoon, and the shocking secrets he learns about his new boss and the gorgeous wife culminate into a well-planned, cold-blooded murder.

At already half past five one morning, a fourteen-year-old boy discovers a body with a bullet hole on its forehead lying outside its compound. And Detective Lot’s sudden appearance at the crime scene is a surprise to his sidekick, Daniel Famous, a twenty-four-year-old police officer, who, much to the chagrin of the detective, never believes for once that the crime can be solved.

Shortly after his arrival, Detective Lot realises that he is the only person interested in catching Cain Martins’ killer. He learns that the night before, Richard Philip drove his boss out of the compound in a black jeep; but the gatekeeper, Mr. Eze Chima, claims that Cain drove back that night without the driver. Lot concludes that Cain must have somehow left the compound thereafter but Chima insists that he locked the gate himself. It was impossible for Cain to have left the compound without his knowledge.

The thread with which Detective Lot must darn this mystery is thin indeed, for it is only he who believes that the mystery surrounding the murder of Cain can be unraveled. A couple of hours before the time of death, he was anonymously paid a large sum of money to investigate the case.

And with these available clues, the famous detective must bring this criminal to book:

The murder weapon, which was nowhere to be found.
Two different notes written in different handwritings.
A text message sent through a strange number.

2 Likes

Re: Recommend A Book by OMA4U(m): 4:36pm On Aug 25, 2014
A succint and fascinating abstract of Brand of Cain, an engrossing detective story. I'm sure missEmjay won't be disappointed.
Re: Recommend A Book by missEmjay(f): 5:49pm On Aug 25, 2014
@oma4u, i've started reading the book. Very interesting. Cant wait to know who committed the murder. But i'm suspecting its not richie
Re: Recommend A Book by olagockay(m): 8:09pm On Aug 25, 2014
4 fellow armchair detectives i'll recommend; Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), Ian Fleming (James Bond), Leslie Charteris (The Saint), John Creasy (Inspector West), Agatha Christie (Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple)..............
Re: Recommend A Book by duni04(m): 8:33am On Sep 01, 2014
missEmjay: I'll also recommend:
•Adventures of Sherlock Holmes- Arthur Conan Doyle

• A little princess

• Importance of being Earnest- Wilfred Owen
More will be listed as the spirit leads

(1) (Reply)

Ordinary Black Woman / [story] The Brand Of Cain...part 1 / My Mistake Episode 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.