Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? (2290 Views)

Wizkid Verified By Instagram After Drake Recognised Him (PHOTO) / PROF PELLER, The Enchanting Story Of Nigeria’s Most Famous Magician [PHOTOS] / Eedris Abdulkareem Punished Me, He Never Recognised Me - Timaya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by jpaul5: 10:20pm On Aug 23, 2014
Yesterday, I chanced upon a list put together by an African blogger chronicling Nigeria’s most internationally known celebrities. Intriguingly, the name sitting at the pinnacle of the pack of film stars and musicians was a Christian pastor who seldom leaves Nigerian shores.

Above the likes of musicians D’Banj, P Square, Wizkid, Flavour, 2Face and Nollywood legends Genevieve Nnaji, Omotola Ekeinde and Ramsey Noah Jr, the controversial Pastor T.B. Joshua was ranked as Nigeria’s most popular international icon.

The question begs – is this just a bloggers personal opinion masked perhaps under an impressionable meeting with Joshua or is it a true reflection of international outlook toward Africa’s most populous nation?

Well, a quick look at the facts certainly gravitates towards the latter conclusion. Social media stats put Joshua near the top of the pack with nearly 1.3 million Facebook followers, bettered only by Omosexy who has over 1.6 million. The other celebs on this list to have topped the million margin are P-Square with 1.1 million and D’Banj with 1 million.

Joshua’s international acclaim is certainly evident in Nigeria’s tourism industry, recent statistics from the Nigerian Immigration Service stating that six out of every ten foreign travelers coming into Nigeria are bound for The Synagogue Church Of All Nations (SCOAN).

Even the recent threat of Ebola and the menace of Boko Haram have not stemmed the tide of international visitors to Joshua’s ministry, an estimated 10,000 having flown into Lagos to meet ‘the prophet’ in the last month.

When it comes to headline-making activities, it appears the Nigerian pastor is a hands-down winner. This week alone, Joshua has featured in newspapers from UK, USA, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, France, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Namibia and even China (to name but a few) in respect of his unique response to the deadly Ebola outbreak.

Followers of online blogs, particularly within Africa, are inundated almost daily with T.B. Joshua related news, more than any of the other celebrities chronicled in this piece. The controversy surrounding his persona is further mirrored in the comments sections of such articles which often turn to heated debates over authenticity and relevance.

Malicious messages sent through social media gain untold momentum when attributed to Joshua, the alleged ‘salt-water’ Ebola cure that swept across Nigeria being a recent example. There was even a time when nationwide panic ensued among 2go users due to a purported message ascribed to Joshua that calamity awaited users of the popular service.

Although the likes of D’banj, 2face and PSquare regularly have sell out concerts in foreign countries, none have neared the feat Joshua accomplished last month when he packed an Olympic Stadium in the South American nation of Colombia, a reported 100,000 in attendance.

Joshua’s television station Emmanuel TV has been touted severally to be among the most viewed stations in the African continent as the name ‘T.B. Joshua’ has become increasingly synonymous with the nation of Nigeria in the eyes of onlookers.

As a Nigerian who travels frequently throughout Africa, I can affirm that the question most commonly asked me once Nigerian nationality is established revolves around the popular pastor and his ‘supernatural’ antics.

Although it is practically impossible to gauge exact levels of popularity, I think it is safe to say that the bearded cleric certainly ranks in the upper echelons of Nigeria’s international flag bearers – and there seems to be no signs of his influence waning.

Here is the list as opined by the aforementioned blogger:

1. Pastor T.B. Joshua
2. 2Face Idibia
3. Flavour
4. Wizkid
5. Ramsey Noah Jr
6. P-Square
7. Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde
8. Genevieve Nnaji
9. D’Banj

Do you agree with this list? Is anyone missing? In your opinion, who is Nigeria’s most internationally recognised celebrity?

SOURCE: http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/28651/52/who-is-nigerias-most-internationally-recognised-ce.html
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by ammyluv2002(f): 10:24pm On Aug 23, 2014
Yes except Ramsey Noah Jr *no offence * grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by tobtap: 10:40pm On Aug 23, 2014
the kuti family
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Aug 23, 2014
Sorry, my name is missing.
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by hatux: 6:28am On Aug 24, 2014
Kunle Afolayan
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by cooljoe(m): 1:11pm On Aug 24, 2014
Where u kip mikel obi
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by lilprinze: 1:48pm On Aug 24, 2014
The more people keep hating on T.B Joshua the more God keeps on blessing him

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by urbanMAMA(f): 2:23pm On Aug 24, 2014
Omo sexy
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 24, 2014
Pends on the field:
Nollywood- Genevieve( don't argue it )
Sports - KANU, Mikel, etc
Music - 2face, Psquare, D'banj
Pageantry- Agbani
Church: TB Joshua, maybe just popular.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 24, 2014
Which of them they put money for your pocket?
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Aug 24, 2014
Why I'm I so emotional that koko master is so behind....ko kan aye jare
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by izsmike: 4:37pm On Aug 24, 2014
GEJ
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by Dreyl(m): 5:07pm On Aug 24, 2014
Only 2face and psquare
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by labakeJ(f): 5:12pm On Aug 24, 2014
Why is name not there?
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by daniellle(f): 5:46pm On Aug 24, 2014
i duno
[img]http:///juw[/img]
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by Dubby6(m): 8:23pm On Aug 24, 2014
Mikel, Ebuka cos of Ebola
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by Nobody: 12:16am On Aug 25, 2014
It's perfect. Just delete Ramsey Noah and we are good to go... grin
Re: Who Is Nigeria’s Most Internationally Recognised Celebrity??? by Nobody: 1:59am On Aug 25, 2014
Koko master

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Bootilicious Queen '@ Fi_racksey' Shows Off Her Body In A Very Hot Way / Kcee Celebrates With The Kids...(photos) / [MUST Read]black Chyna Receives Squat Team Fitness Belt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.