Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? (1685 Views)

Does Anyone Believe That 3am Is Really The Evil/demon Hour? / What Is The True Sabbath Day, Saturday Or Sunday? / Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by Philadelphia: 10:13pm On Aug 25, 2014
ITbomb:

For your first point, living in grace doesn't mean not keeping God's commandments. Refer to Rom 6. Rather it means instead of setting one day and place to worship God, your entire days activities anywhere should be a continual worship of God.

2. There is no way I disputed the Saturday Sabbath which is the day of rest. But Sunday being the first day was set aside for Christians to gather together and teach each other

They gathered on whose authority?
Read up Isaiah 66 : 22-23. This is the kind of gathering God ordained.

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by ITbomb(m): 11:22pm On Aug 25, 2014
Philadelphia:

They gathered on whose authority?
Read up Isaiah 66 : 22-23. This is the kind of gathering God ordained.
So if you were God, there is no way the Holy Spirit should have descended on the apostles on a non ordained day when they gathered .
And I beg you, let's conclude this matter now to the Glory of God.
Endless striving and argument about doctrines is counterproductive. Read Rom 14:5.

Let everyone be assured in his conscience. If you believe that Sunday is the day to gather without any doubt then be blessed in it. But if you have one single doubt about Sunday but you still worship on that day, it is counted as sin cos whatsoever is not of faith is sin. Rom 14:23. Selah.
Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by Alwaystrue(f): 11:30pm On Aug 25, 2014
Philadelphia:
None of the texts you posted indicated worship on Sunday. Acts 2:46 was after the day of Pentecost when the new believers came to meet the disciples at the temple to break bread. Does breaking of bread indicate worship to God? John 4:24 is not indicating worship on Sunday and Acts 20:7 still talks about breaking bread. Now this particular one was even before Paul traveled because Paul traveled and built churches.
Read those texts I asked you to and you'll see it spelt correctly 'worship'. Now this is Paul here, still worshipping on the Sabbath.
Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures, Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
I do not know what you mean by the texts I posted did not mention worship on Sunday.
The texts said they continued DAILY in the temple...with one accord.
Does that sound like they were not worshipping to you? So unless its Saturday its not worship?
Did you miss where i said the Lord is Spirit and those who worship him must worship him in Spirit and truth? What does worship even mean to you? Is it about the physical day or in who we worship?

Lol @Phil, i simply showed you...we worship the Lord EVERYDAY except you mean you worship God only on Saturday.

Luke 19:47
And he taught daily in the temple. But the chief priests and the scribes and the chief of the people sought to destroy him,

I believe you can see Jesus was in the temple daily teaching...like Paul was reasoning...so is that worship or not?

Like i advised earlier, read my initial post noting everything I said on Sabbath.

JesusisLord85:
Good. So do you believe, like 100% of today's church Christians that you do not need to keep the commandments, as "they are done away with"/"fulfilled" etc
I dont know where you get your statitics from but there was nowhere Jesus said the commandments of God were done away with. Fulfilled is not the same as done away with.
Fulfilled simply meant He gave full expression to it and said or did it in truth. Example?

Do not commit adultery meaning do not lust
Do not murder meaning do not hate
Do not steal meaning do not covet/lust etc.

Fulfilment is carrying it out as it should. Jesus simply actually even raised the bar.

After forgiving us, He helps us to do God's will from the right heart.

When a person doesnt lust after a woman, he cannot fall into adultery...at this point he is dead to the law for He walks in the Spirit. If he succumbs to flesh, He is under the law and needs to come to Jesus for forgiveness and help.

That is why Aposle Paul says the Law is Spiritual and He delights in the Law of God after the inward man.

Jesus expects us to obey His word and His command for it is life and cleanses.

Anyone claimimg to believe Jesus and refuses to even heed the word of the person he claims to believe then the person needs to check himself.

2 Likes

Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by JesusisLord85: 12:05am On Aug 26, 2014
Alwaystrue:
I dont know where you get your statitics from but there was nowhere Jesus said the commandments of God were done away with. Fulfilled is not the same as done away with.
Fulfilled simply meant He gave full expression to it and said or did it in truth. Example?

Fulfilment is carrying it out as it should. Jesus simply actually even raised the bar.

When a person doesnt lust after a woman, he cannot fall into adultery...at this point he is dead to the law for He walks in the Spirit. If he succumbs to flesh, He is under the law and needs to come to Jesus for forgiveness and help.

That is why Aposle Paul says the Law is Spiritual and He delights in the Law of God after the inward man.

Anyone claimimg to believe Jesus and refuses to even heed the word of the person he claims to believe then the person needs to check himself.

Thank you. I agree with what you have said. So you believe we must keep the sabbath? and the feast days of the Lord, instead of the pagan ones such as Easter, Christmas etc?

Shalom
Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by Alwaystrue(f): 6:33am On Aug 26, 2014
JesusisLord85:
Thank you. I agree with what you have said. So you believe we must keep the sabbath? and the feast days of the Lord, instead of the pagan ones such as Easter, Christmas etc?
Shalom
I believe we should keep the Lord's commands.

Which feast days of the Lord? The holy communion as He commanded at the passover? Yes ofcourse...

I do not know what you mean by pagan feasts of Easter and Christmas. One celebrates the birth of Jesus and the other, commemorates His death.
I never knew pagans celebrate the birth and death of Jesus or is it the fanfare it comes with?
Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by Philadelphia: 6:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
ITbomb:
So if you were God, there is no way the Holy Spirit should have descended on the apostles on a non ordained day when they gathered .
And I beg you, let's conclude this matter now to the Glory of God.
Endless striving and argument about doctrines is counterproductive. Read Rom 14:5.

Let everyone be assured in his conscience. If you believe that Sunday is the day to gather without any doubt then be blessed in it. But if you have one single doubt about Sunday but you still worship on that day, it is counted as sin cos whatsoever is not of faith is sin. Rom 14:23. Selah.

You still haven't proven anything that admonishes us to keep Sunday holy. Why don't you ask your pastor the day that is the Sabbath day, and ask him to support your Sunday worship with a bible text and also show you a bible text that debunks worshipping on Sabbath.
Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by Philadelphia: 6:05pm On Aug 26, 2014
Alwaystrue:

Which feast days of the Lord? The holy communion as He commanded at the passover? Yes ofcourse...

I do not know what you mean by pagan feasts of Easter and Christmas. One celebrates the birth of Jesus and the other, commemorates His death.
I never knew pagans celebrate the birth and death of Jesus or is it the fanfare it comes with?

Google the origin of Christmas and discover hidden Truths. December 25th was a day they kept for worship of their pagan gods such as Attis, Dionysus, Osiris, Mithra and some of their festivities.
Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by Philadelphia: 6:11pm On Aug 26, 2014
Alwaystrue:
I do not know what you mean by the texts I posted did not mention worship on Sunday.
The texts said they continued DAILY in the temple...with one accord.
Does that sound like they were not worshipping to you? So unless its Saturday its not worship?
Did you miss where i said the Lord is Spirit and those who worship him must worship him in Spirit and truth? What does worship even mean to you? Is it about the physical day or in who we worship?

Lol @Phil, i simply showed you...we worship the Lord EVERYDAY except you mean you worship God only on Saturday.

Luke 19:47
And he taught daily in the temple. But the chief priests and the scribes and the chief of the people sought to destroy him,

I believe you can see Jesus was in the temple daily teaching...like Paul was reasoning...so is that worship or not?

Like i advised earlier, read my initial post noting everything I said on Sabbath.

Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by JesusisLord85: 6:50pm On Aug 26, 2014
Alwaystrue:

The feasts the Most High gave us to observe are listed in the law, Leviticus 23.

Christmas and Easter have pagan roots. The romans simply merged their pagan traditions to the religion of the jews.

Same way some nigerian churches today often hold onto elements of their traditional religion.

Acts 16:19-21
19 And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers,

20 And brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city,

21 And teach customs, which are not lawful for us to receive, neither to observe, being Romans.

So you see, the roman traditions were completely at odds with that of the Jews. But why should they not be. These are the sons of Edom. Devils
Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by Alwaystrue(f): 6:16am On Aug 27, 2014
Philadelphia:

Google the origin of Christmas and discover hidden Truths. December 25th was a day they kept for worship of their pagan gods such as Attis, Dionysus, Osiris, Mithra and some of their festivities.

I knew what I was saying when I posted @Phil. While you look at it as celebrating some funny pagan god's, others have chosen to celebrate Christ's birth that day. Just like many believe that birthday celebrations are wrong because the one held in the bible by Herod was where John got killed. Everyone can have a reason for not celebrating it therefore because of that while others use it to celebrate Christ. Some even do it in October so are you stuck on the date or on the essence?

The whole aim is what does it mean to you? If according to you, it is not unto the Lord then don't do it and for others, let them do it.

If it is the attendant fanfare and all the kind of stuff done on these day or in its preparation that you have issues with then that is a seperate matter entirely.

In the same way, some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. You should each be fully convinced that whichever day you choose is acceptable - Romans 14:5.
Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by Alwaystrue(f): 6:42am On Aug 27, 2014
JesusisLord85:

The feasts the Most High gave us to observe are listed in the law, Leviticus 23.

Christmas and Easter have pagan roots. The romans simply merged their pagan traditions to the religion of the jews.

Same way some nigerian churches today often hold onto elements of their traditional religion.

Acts 16:19-21
19 And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers,

20 And brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city,

21 And teach customs, which are not lawful for us to receive, neither to observe, being Romans.

So you see, the roman traditions were completely at odds with that of the Jews. But why should they not be. These are the sons of Edom. Devils

These feasts of Leviticus 23, do you happen to know their meanings in Christ or do you celebrate these feasts as if Christ never came:

- Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day-- things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ

These were the things that pointed to Christ. Just like we do no longer celebrate the passover like it was in Leveticus but as the Holy Communion.

In Leviticus, some of the feasts were celebrated with burnt offering of a lamb without defect, sheafs, ephah of flour and other things, there is even one speaking about atonement and so on. Is that how you celebrate these feasts or do you know what it means in Christ.

Like I said, the law is spiritual, it is not just about throwing it away but understanding what it is about and the intent for which they were given.

How did Jesus celebrate these feasts? Those are salient things you are to note. Jesus is the Word become flesh, so let's hear your views on what Jesus said concerning these ordinances.
Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by JesusisLord85: 7:30pm On Aug 27, 2014
Alwaystrue:

These feasts of Leviticus 23, do you happen to know their meanings in Christ or do you celebrate these feasts as if Christ never came:

- Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day-- things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ

These were the things that pointed to Christ. Just like we do no longer celebrate the passover like it was in Leveticus but as the Holy Communion.

In Leviticus, some of the feasts were celebrated with burnt offering of a lamb without defect, sheafs, ephah of flour and other things, there is even one speaking about atonement and so on. Is that how you celebrate these feasts or do you know what it means in Christ.

Like I said, the law is spiritual, it is not just about throwing it away but understanding what it is about and the intent for which they were given.

How did Jesus celebrate these feasts? Those are salient things you are to note. Jesus is the Word become flesh, so let's hear your views on what Jesus said concerning these ordinances.

It's like you people do not know what a shadow is.

You quoted colossians 2:16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days"

It is clear you believe this is being used to justify not keeping holy days. Well, the problem is you don't understand the precept for Colossians 2:16. Let me show you the precept and you can judge for yourself, or keep making excuses for your sin:

Ezekiel 45:17 "And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the feasts, and in the new moon[/b]s, and in the [b]sabbaths, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel."

Paul was talking about OFFERINGS. Christ was the lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the word. It is NOT talking about not observing the holy days. If it were, that would make Paul a false teacher.

See my latest thread that sheds more light.

https://www.nairaland.com/1873588/gods-laws-commandments-done-away

Shalom
Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by Alwaystrue(f): 6:22am On Aug 29, 2014
JesusisLord85:

It's like you people do not know what a shadow is.

You quoted colossians 2:16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days"

It is clear you believe this is being used to justify not keeping holy days. Well, the problem is you don't understand the precept for Colossians 2:16. Let me show you the precept and you can judge for yourself, or keep making excuses for your sin:

Ezekiel 45:17 "And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the feasts, and in the new moon[/b]s, and in the [b]sabbaths, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel."

Paul was talking about OFFERINGS. Christ was the lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the word. It is NOT talking about not observing the holy days. If it were, that would make Paul a false teacher.

See my latest thread that sheds more light.

https://www.nairaland.com/1873588/gods-laws-commandments-done-away

Shalom

Paul was talking about what we eat, or drink or regarding keeping holy days...it was not just about the keeping of holy days, he covered people who said it is wrong to eat this or drink that too.

What does this mean, he had no issues with whether they wanted to eat or not eat, drink or not drink, keep holy days or not keep it. All he meant was that people should not judge you on such things. That was why he emphasised the shadow and reality. All these things had a reality which was revealed but he did not judge anyone who chose or chose not to regard the 'shadow'.

Jesus placed emphasis on the essence of the Sabbath. He said it was about doing good and man was not made for rest (Sabbath) but rest (Sabbath) was made for man. It did not mean if something happens to a man's animal (means of livelihood), he should not go handle it because it was Sabbath or if people were hungry, they should not go get the food because it was Sabbath. It is all about love...it is you making such a big deal out of it.

That is why i simply asked, what did Jesus say about the feasts?
Re: Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? by JesusisLord85: 9:26pm On Aug 30, 2014
Alwaystrue:

Jesus placed emphasis on the essence of the Sabbath. He said it was about doing good and man was not made for rest (Sabbath) but rest (Sabbath) was made for man. It did not mean if something happens to a man's animal (means of livelihood), he should not go handle it because it was Sabbath or if people were hungry, they should not go get the food because it was Sabbath. It is all about love...it is you making such a big deal out of it.

That is why i simply asked, what did Jesus say about the feasts?

This 'love' word you people band around. You do not know what it means.
My next piece of my thread on 'is the law destroyed' will address what Love means according to the word of God.

I will also do a full thread on the sabbath as it seems it is needed.
You quote Jesus, and somehow come away with a strange interpretation.

Know that the feasts will be observed in the millennial Kingdom.
What is it about them you think Jesus said. I'll correct you if need be

Shalom

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Didyou Feel When You First Spoke In Tongues? / Anthropomorphism And The Nature Of God. / On Leicester, Buddha And Yahweh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.