Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

The Future Of The Nigerian State- Any Hope? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Future Of The Nigerian State- Any Hope? (747 Views)

In Hope After Emptiness (an Interesting Story / Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe / An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Future Of The Nigerian State- Any Hope? by dmla: 10:14pm On Aug 24, 2014
Dear reader, I will like you to spare me about five minutes to discuss certain issues that are very crucial to you as well as your family members: children, grandchildren and even great grand-children. And that’s the future of our dearest nation, Nigeria. Past events and the current happenings in the country has made many Nigerians to give up on her future. In fact, nothing seems to be working in all the sectors. Despite the fact that we are still battling seriously with insurgency which has left thousands of people dead and homeless, a deadly viral disease has just erupted in the face of a serious crisis in the health sector, and it has killed a number of our bright and innocent citizens. A young lady who was disgusted with the situation of things in the country once said:”The existence of Nigeria is like a forced marriage, it can never work. I’m really fed up with this country; I doubt if things will ever change.” In the next few lines, I will provide answers to some questions on how we got here and the way forward.
HOW AND WHY DID WE GET HERE? Based on my own opinion and the research I have done so far, we got here because of three basic factors, and these include: Selfishness, Indiscipline and Mental Laziness. All the problems that are threatening our existence today as Nigerians could be traced to these three factors. For example, it’s selfishness and indiscipline that gave birth to the evils that thrive in our society today. Some of them are: Bribery and Corruption, Oppression of the masses, Tribalism and Religious Sentiments, Impunity (exemption/security from punishment), Nepotism (favouritism to relatives and friends in appointments), Greed, Moral Decadence, Defraudation, Illicit transactions, Hooliganism, Examination Malpractices. All these have become norms in the Nigeria of today; the young and old are fully entrenched in these day-to-day acts. You and I know for sure that these evils have really crippled our progress and that’s why we are still struggling to survive.
What of mental laziness? The effects of the earlier discussed factors have led to Mental Laziness among Nigerians. While majority of the youths have refused to read, some of the old people are not helping the situation. It’s very unfortunate to see that some Nigerian graduates find it difficult to express themselves. The standard of education has fallen drastically, Reading Culture and Work ethic (belief in the moral value of hard work) is totally gone; everyone want to be rich overnight and desire to eat from the ‘national cake’ like our ‘leaders’ do. Many don’t know and don’t even want to improve themselves; after all, our system does not reward excellence, they say! Even though that’s very true, that’s not enough reason to embrace mediocrity.
WHAT IS THE WAY FORWARD? I once attended a seminar and the key note speaker gave an analogy which I will share with you here. He said: “Let’s assume that Nigerians are moved to United States of America while the Americans are moved to Nigeria. You will notice that within years, something funny would happen. The beautiful streets of New York City, Los Angeles will be messed up. Surprisingly, you might have some Nigerians urinating on these streets. Their state-of-the-art facilities would soon become damaged and unemployment dominates. The ranking of their universities and military becomes history. However, don’t be shocked when you see the Federal Republic of Nigeria become the world power where Ajegunle in Lagos becomes one of the neatest cities in the world.”
As hilarious as this opinion seems to be, it’s the absolute truth. Simply put, NIGERIANS must be transformed for Nigeria to change. The way we reason, behave, interact, live and do things must change. We must be disciplined, selfless in everything we do and strive to reverse the mental laziness that has stunted the growth of our nation. I know you might want to ask about those leading us. Consider this: it’s Nigerians that become the leaders of Nigeria; it’s also Nigerians that elect their leaders. Hence, our leadership is a reflection of who we are, Skikena! We must imbibe the culture of reading, not just to pass exams, but also to be informed, enlightened and empowered so that we can begin to see the big picture. Remember, the acquisition and application of knowledge is power!
IS THERE ANY HOPE FOR THE FUTURE OF THE NIGERIAN STATE? Absolutely yes! In the centuries of Slave Trade in Africa, Apartheid in South Africa, Segregation of Blacks in America, it seemed as though a new dawn would never come. Lo and Behold, it came, but with efforts of some people who hung to the tiny string of hope in the midst of adversities. They made it, Yes they did! There are more than a million reasons why Nigeria WILL NOT work. However, there is one reason why it WILL work, and that’s Hope which is based on Faith. With the right attitude and our conscious efforts, we will make it even though it might take time.
Everyone needs to get involved in this project as soon as possible; one person at a time, one step at a time, one day at a time, we will get there. Let the change begin with you. Then, move on to members of your family, colleagues in school and place of work, people in your neighborhood, and everyone you come across. Eradicate Selfishness, Indiscipline and Mental Laziness from your life today and we shall all live to see the Nigeria of our dream. See you there!!!

KOFOWOROLA Ayodeji K
E-mail: Kennydamola@yahoo.com
Like my Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/Kofoworolaak and engage me on twitter @Kofoogbam.

(1) (Reply)

Let's Learn Grammar / -- / K-NINE UPDATE FOR THE READERS by The Freelancer™™

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.