Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,685 members, 7,809,589 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. (1251 Views)

Cameroonian Army Captures Suleiman Shehu aka Naira, Boko Haram Top Shot / DHQ: Military Captures Arms Caches Abandoned By Fleeing Boko Haram / Nigerian Military Kills Over 300 Terrorists, Captures Many Others (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by omenka(m): 10:21am On Aug 25, 2014
Hundreds reportedly killed as fighters storm the Tabqa base in northeast Syria, the army's last foothold in the area.

Fighters from the Islamic State group have taken over
an airbase in northeast Syria, capturing it from
government
forces after fighting that cost more than 500 lives, a
monitoring group and state media have said.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), a
London-
based rights group, said at least 346 Islamic
State fighters
and more than 170 government forces had been killed since
Tuesday in the fight over the Tabqa base, which was
captured by fighters on Sunday.

The SOHR, which monitors violence in Syria through
sources
on the ground, said fighting raged inside the air base
throughout Sunday.

Syria's official news agency said the military had
withdrawn
from the base after pitched battles and was
still carrying out
strikes.

The base was the Syrian army's last foothold in an area
otherwise controlled by the self-declared jihadist Islamic
State group, which has seized large areas of Syria and Iraq.
It is one of the most significant government military facilities in the area, containing several warplane squadrons, helicopters, tanks, artillery and ammunition.

In nearby Raqqa city, an Islamic State stronghold, there
was
celebratory gunfire and the development was announced by
several mosques through their loudspeakers, a witness told
the Reuters news agency.

Fighters displayed the severed heads of Syrian army soldiers in the city square, the witness reportedly said, adding that Syrian warplanes were heard over Raqqa following the air base attack.

Earlier on Sunday the Syrian air force had bombed areas
around the base. The Observatory said that the base was strewn with bodies of "dozens" of soldiers.

m.aljazeera.com/se/2014825595372569

Now we have a terrorist group with ariel capability on our hands. Al Bagdadi just might be the Third Antichrist predicted by Nostradamus after Hitler and Mussolini.
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by Omexonomy: 10:46am On Aug 25, 2014
Methink this is good news to the ears of islamic fundamentalist on nairaland. Vedaxcool oya mail my malt to me i am waiting.

1 Like

Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by vedaxcool(m): 11:32am On Aug 25, 2014
omenka:

m.aljazeera.com/se/2014825595372569

Now we have a terrorist group with ariel capability on our hands. Al Bagdadi just might be the Third Antichrist predicted by Nostradamus after Hitler and Mussolini.

So the world already had 2 anti-christ? Anyway, Assad men unlike Nigerian soldiers, sabotage their equipment before abandoning their post. So their victory while substantial shouldn't cause too much alarm.

2 Likes

Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by omenka(m): 12:50pm On Aug 25, 2014
vedaxcool:

So the world already had 2 anti-christ? Anyway, Assad men unlike Nigerian soldiers, sabotage their equipment before abandoning their post. So their victory while substantial shouldn't cause too much alarm.
According to Nostradamus. He predicted that a "Prince would rise from the East and wage war against the West". At a point I thought the US went after Sadam to pre-empt that doomsday prediction. grin

It would be good to know that those heavy military hardware are rendered useless before the ISIS conquest.
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by vedaxcool(m): 9:20pm On Aug 25, 2014
omenka: According to Nostradamus. He predicted that a "Prince would rise from the East and wage war against the West". At a point I thought the US went after Sadam to pre-empt that doomsday prediction. grin

It would be good to know that those heavy military hardware are rendered useless before the ISIS conquest.

Saddam was already weak when the US came for him, under severe international sanction, he had little chance of being s nuisance to anybody. But guess the mumu bush thought he was doing something holy by removing saddam.
I remain optimistic isis would be stopped.

1 Like

Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by omenka(m): 9:45pm On Aug 25, 2014
vedaxcool:

Saddam was already weak when the US came for him, under severe international sanction, he had little chance of being s nuisance to anybody. But guess the mumu bush thought he was doing something holy by removing saddam.
I remain optimistic isis would be stopped.
I hope they are crushed too. But I don't see how that can be achieved without coordination with Asad's army!! grin. Talk about eating your own sh*t!! cheesy
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 25, 2014
All these people funding ISIS in the background should remember that diarizz God o!
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by vedaxcool(m): 10:00pm On Aug 25, 2014
omenka: I hope they are crushed too. But I don't see how that can be achieved without coordination with Asad's army!! grin. Talk about eating your own sh*t!! cheesy

It depends on who u are refferng to, asaad has lost huge territory to a motley of insurgents groups. Hence he still remains in a pickle. I doubt the us would want to coordinate with assad, for many reasons, including the fact that doing so would be handing russia both a pr and strategic victory. Hence the us might focus on fighting isis in iraq while leaving assad to face a double pronged attack from isis and other rebel groups. US can decide to bombard syria at will esp as the govt is not in control of large swaths of territory. Assad would still live to regret the day he deliberately ignored isis while fighting the more moderate syrian opposition.
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by Afroconnect: 10:14pm On Aug 25, 2014
The syrian govt should bomb out all the planes and fighter jets in that facility-i wonder why russia aint helping his ally.
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by omenka(m): 4:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
vedaxcool:

It depends on who u are refferng to, asaad has lost huge territory to a motley of insurgents groups. Hence he still remains in a pickle. I doubt the us would want to coordinate with assad, for many reasons, including the fact that doing so would be handing russia both a pr and strategic victory. Hence the us might focus on fighting isis in iraq while leaving assad to face a double pronged attack from isis and other rebel groups. US can decide to bombard syria at will esp as the govt is not in control of large swaths of territory. Assad would still live to regret the day he deliberately ignored isis while fighting the more moderate syrian opposition.
Have you been watching the news at all?? smiley It is just the way said. They are reporting a possible coordination between Washington and Damascus to handle the IS threat. The US plans to fly spy planes over territories in Syria captured by IS to gather intelligence, and there is no way they can do so without approval from Damascus, and such collaboration could be seen as legitimising the Asad's regime. Very precarious and fluid situation we face.
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 26, 2014
Wow
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by vedaxcool(m): 7:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
omenka: Have you been watching the news at all?? smiley It is just the way said. They are reporting a possible coordination between Washington and Damascus to handle the IS threat. The US plans to fly spy planes over territories in Syria captured by IS to gather intelligence, and there is no way they can do so without approval from Damascus, and such collaboration could be seen as legitimising the Asad's regime. Very precarious and fluid situation we face.

So u mean ISIS operate with approval of the Syrian govt.? Syrian govt. Is largely failed govt. Of a failed state, the US would simply act without needing such a govt. Approval! And u should know the west can simply sit back and watch as IS keeps gutting the syrian army, Assad obviously needs their life line more.
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 28, 2014
What is going on in the world? The US really messed up the middle east, today nigeria is also suffering from libya's invasion.
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by omenka(m): 9:13pm On Aug 28, 2014
Obiagelli: What is going on in the world? The US really messed up the middle east, today nigeria is also [color=red]suffering from libya's invasion. [/color]
Exactly what my friends and I were saying today!! That the fall of the regimes of Sadam and Gadafi has further imperilled the world to a great extent!!

So so unfortunate.
Re: ISIS Captures Key Syrian Air Base. by vedaxcool(m): 9:04am On Aug 29, 2014
Obiagelli: What is going on in the world? The US really messed up the middle east, today nigeria is also suffering from libya's invasion.

We keep wondering why they have refused to intervene in Palestine or Gaza? The truth is international politics is founded on hypocrisy and duplicity!

(1) (Reply)

Living Under The Spectre Of Boko Haram – A Maiduguri Resident Tells Us How It Is / We Are Happy Obi Left APGA -umeh / Facts About Lagos State APC Governorship Aspirant Ambode Akinwunmi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.