Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,892 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

What NMA Must Do Urgently.......fejiro Oliver - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What NMA Must Do Urgently.......fejiro Oliver (938 Views)

Untold Reasons Why NMA Suspended The 55 Days Old Strike BY Fejiro Oliver / Nurses Are Meant To Assist The Dr : Fejiro Oliver / Get Me A Big Chain;Nigerian Medical Doctors Are Going Mad Again BY FEJIRO OLIVER (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What NMA Must Do Urgently.......fejiro Oliver by MrsAwesome: 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2014
NMA Sunday Sermon with Fejiro Oliver; What NMA Must Do ASAP
Date Posted: 25/Aug/2014
I wanted to share something very interesting until a blogger friend of man with
AbujaCabMan directed me to his site to see something interesting. As if we share
same brains, I had wanted to give the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) similar advise
on how to win when they embark on strike next time. After all, they are one of my most
trusted ally who have brought me this far and a piece of advise for them should not be
out of place.
I have decided to share today sermon from a fellow 'preacher' and I hope we all enjoy it.
First before this writer is accused of canvassing a point that is totally out of order, let
me state from the outset that the title of this work is a verbatim comment from the
National Labor Congress liason officer to the National Assembly
‘NMA may wish to join NLC/TUC at this point’
When the handwriting on the wall showed that the strike by medical doctors in Nigeria
will definitely be called off, I drove to the NLC laison officers house and was visibly
bothered. He wondered why I had such a pensive look on my face. I explained that I’m
doing an investigative reportage on why the doctors are about to call off their strike. He
laughed, reclined in his chair and said,
‘My boy, what the doctors need to understand is that the other health workers have been
planning their assault for over 10years. He was part of the discussions in which they
were advised to form strategic partnerships with one another. Which he heard eventually
led to the birth of JOHESU. Well, he was also part of conversations in which some NMA
members were favorably disposed to joining NLC/TUC on the understanding that some
doctor associations in UK are registered trade unions. But somewhere along the line,
NMA stuck with being a professional body and not a Trade Union for understandable
reasons. The only snag in that position from the labor perspective is that JOHESU can
get from NLC/TUC the sort of cover they get from time to time because they’re
members. ASUU got active cover from NLC leadership during their struggle. The public
statements by the NLC and TUC president threatening to shut down the work force in
Nigeria if government fails to comply with ASUU demands are all in the archives’
I took several deep breaths and wondered what exactly was stopping NMA from
collaborating more closely with the National Association of Nurses and Midwives. I
thought for a while and sought to understand what exactly was stopping the Nigerian
Medical Association from being a part of the Nigerian Labor Congress and Trade Union
Congress. I’ve asked several times in the course of investigating this write up but all I
hear is that its a no go area. I’m only a writer what do I know. All I do is investigate.
Investigations reveal that the NMA from this morning will need to re-calibrate urgently.
1. The NMA will need to review its constitution as a matter of pressing and urgent
necessity, a process that must start at the next Annual general meeting and Delegates
Conference.
2. The NMA will need to come up with a 5 year strategic plan as a matter of urgency.
There’s a need to be aware that other health groups have strategic plans they’re
currently working with.
3. The NMA will need to work more closely with the National Association of Nurses and
Midwives
4. The NMA will need to tinker with the idea of closer collaboration with NLC/TUC if not
out rightly joining them. Remember this, as formidable as we think ASUU is, it is a
member of NLC.
Well, the Nigerian Masses are glad to have their doctors back no doubt. The other health
workers are glad that those trained to doctor will come and take their rightful place. The
Federal Government is glad that their strong arm tactics has worked yet again. But I’m
sure no doctor is happy at this turn of events.
Happy or not, re-calibrate and re-strategize now, NMA. There’s something they say
about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Can’t
remember now.
May the parliament now rise to debate on this.
Follow me on twitter @fejirooliver86

(1) (Reply)

Maca Root / FG Begins Construction Of $650m Abuja Medical City / Eye Witness Account: OAU Ebola Scare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.