Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,363 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? (53017 Views)

How Much Does Traditional Marriage Cost In Abia State / Do Things Like These Still Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by nalijah07(f): 3:14pm On Oct 24, 2008
What is the cost of things in Nigeria as it relates to the USD? For example how much would you pay for the following and how much would that equal in USD:

Bread
Milk
Rent - 2 bedroom apartment in an average neigborhood
Movie ticket
Average customer service salary per year
washing machine
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Gamine(f): 3:22pm On Oct 24, 2008
It depends on what state and what area you are.

Bread, depends on the size and packaging

you will get bread from N20 to N500, ie $0.2 to $4

Milk
, Same thing, are you going for powder or condensed??

Ranges from N50 to N2000, $0.5 to $20

Rent!, this one eh, e be like

anywhere from N100,000 to N5,000,000 per year.

Movie Ticket, N500 to N2000

Washing Machine?? hmm, N20,000 to N100,000

Avg Customer service salary; N20,000 to N100,000

Dollar to Naira is $1 to N116

1 Like

Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Outstrip(f): 7:14pm On Oct 24, 2008
Honestly I don't know how people survive in nigeria. I paid 4000 naira for diapers that I can buy for $11.99.
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by omoge(f): 7:32pm On Oct 24, 2008
well that's why they improvise. you know instead of diaper you buy napkins that you will be washing daily. with omo and if omo too cost, you use breeze bathing soap or soda to do the washing sad.

no go to movies but watch tv. no use washing maching but use your hands (cleaner anyway) grin

eat eba instead of bread and tea. eat bread, egg omelet and tea on sunday only or maybe not.

rent face me a face you where you can even default.
what i find so hard to understand is price of food. prices go up and up and up. prices of food hardly go up anyhow in western country. a friend was telling me how bread has cost the same since she came. but since leaving nig, the price has skyrocketed or how did they say it self shocked
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 7:32pm On Oct 24, 2008
I heard pure water and gala now cost an arm and a leg in naija?
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Morenike3(f): 7:41pm On Oct 24, 2008
Gamine:

It depends on what state and what area you are.

Bread, depends on the size and packaging

you will get bread from N20 to N500, ie $0.2 to $4

Milk
, Same thing, are you going for powder or condensed??

Ranges from N50 to N2000, $0.5 to $20

Rent!, this one eh, e be like

anywhere from N100,000 to N5,000,000 per year.

Movie Ticket, N500 to N2000

Washing Machine?? hmm, N20,000 to N100,000

Avg Customer service salary; N20,000 to N100,000

Dollar to Naira is $1 to N116

Gamine, to use washing machines or to buy them?

Jezuzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!! See rent money, so much will it cost to build a house?

MrCrackles:

I heard pure water and gala now cost a arm and a leg in naija?
Last time I heard, it was N20
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Morenike3(f): 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2008
omoge:

well that's why they improvise. you know instead of diaper you buy napkins that you will be washing daily. with omo and if omo too cost, you use breeze bathing soap or soda to do the washing sad.

no go to movies but watch tv. no use washing maching but use your hands (cleaner anyway) grin

eat eba instead of bread and tea. eat bread, egg omelet and tea on sunday only or maybe not.

rent face me a face you where you can even default.
what i find so hard to understand is price of food. prices go up and up and up. prices of food hardly go up anyhow in western country. a friend was telling me how bread has cost the same since she came. but since leaving nig, the price has skyrocketed or how did they say it self shocked
Nice. makes sense.

But as for the napkins, I beg to differ. I prefer to have a baby that wnt have to suffer from napkin rash
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by omoge(f): 7:56pm On Oct 24, 2008
lol napkin rash ke. that's what our mama use for us remember? wink our ikebe is still bouncing no stain of rash my dear.

you see nig mothers are smart. they use powder on baby to prevent rash.

go to the stores overseas and see diff kind of diaper rash creams. . . they are not using napkin by the way. so rash will come either way.
my instructor was even saying she is thinking of setting up a business when she retires from teaching. guess what biz napkin biz like they do in those days. each weekend they will go around homes collecting all the dirty napkins for washing. beg of the week, they will come drop a big bin where you put in dirty napkins. i was like won't it all mix up? she said who cares they are all napkins anyway. the way she put it was very clear and made sense in some way to me. that was how they did it in those days. she thinks of bringing back those if only to safe the trees and landfils. we were all laughing but not really funny to her smiley

1 Like

Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2008
@ Topic

How much does things cost in Nigeria

ANSWER: It depends on several factors such as

1. Quantity or Quality
2. Retail or Wholesale
3. Brand new or Tokunbo

So lets start with bread;

Quantity; Meaning Big size, baked in a local bakery with total disregard for NAFDAC warning against ingredients like Bromate e.t.c. goes for between 10Naira (retail a.k.a per slice) to 100Naira (Wholesale a.k.a per loaf)

Quality: Meaning Baked in a more hygenic bakery, allegedly baked up to NAFDAC specification goes for between 200Naira to 350Naira per loaf.
The other designer breads (e.g croissants e.t.c) between 200Naira to as much as 500/1000Naira.

MILK

Now is it Condensed Milk, Evaporated milk, Powdered milk, whipped, Fresh milk or Abiola milk (Cow bell)

Now this depends on size (Sachet, small tin, meduim Tin, Big tin or Family size), Brand (Peak, Oldenburger, Nido, Coast or Cowbell), Imported or Proudly Nigerian, e.t.c.

Now all these range between 50Naira minimum to 5000Naira (Family size).

RENT

Now this depends on the area, size of the house, condition of the house (Damaged or renovated), if the house is in a fenced environment or an open compound, if it is self contained or general toilet/bathroom, Batcher or brick house e.t.c.

Now all these go for between 2000Naira per month (Batchers located in a remote area with no access road, water or even electricity) to as much as 5,000,000 Naira per year (4 bedroom flat, with water, security, 24hours light, swimming pool, gymnasuim, park, school, shop, parking lot, CCTV, e.t.c)

MOVIE TICKET

Now it goes for between 500Naira (for a bootleg DVD with about 20 poor quality movies burnt into one disc) to 3000Naira for standard cinema without popcorn, chocolates or drinks.

WASHING MACHINE

Now since I an yet to see any laundromat around me, then you must be talking about the machine. In that case, it will depend on Brand, and status (Brand new or tokunbo)

Brand new of a very good brand (e.g Whirlpool, Ariston) goes for about 80 to 160 thousand Naira depending on the size of the machine (talking about the Kilogramme per wash)

Tokunbo between 25 to 60 thousand Naira.

AVERAGE CUSTOMER SERVICE SALARY PER YEAR

Now I know that most big stores pay their workers between 15 to 30thousand naira per month. so you do the maths.
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 24, 2008
Prices are always going up, they never come down. cheesy
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Morenike3(f): 10:27pm On Oct 24, 2008
omoge:

lol napkin rash ke. that's what our mama use for us remember? wink our ikebe is still bouncing no stain of rash my dear.

you see nig mothers are smart. they use powder on baby to prevent rash.

go to the stores overseas and see diff kind of diaper rash creams. . . they are not using napkin by the way. so rash will come either way.
my instructor was even saying she is thinking of setting up a business when she retires from teaching. guess what biz napkin biz like they do in those days. each weekend they will go around homes collecting all the dirty napkins for washing. beg of the week, they will come drop a big bin where you put in dirty napkins. i was like won't it all mix up? she said who cares they are all napkins anyway. the way she put it was very clear and made sense in some way to me. that was how they did it in those days. she thinks of bringing back those if only to safe the trees and landfils. we were all laughing but not really funny to her smiley

Makes sense, but I still prefer the diapers tongue
easier to clean, easy to put on and take off.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by omoge(f): 10:29pm On Oct 24, 2008
i agree with you Morenike smiley. am happy though pple are now using diaper in nig. i hate to see mama using napkins. my kid brothers really did gave her work cheesy
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Morenike3(f): 11:35pm On Oct 24, 2008
lol hehehe, I believe if every mother has the opportunity to use diaper, they would not hesitate
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Gamine(f): 11:07am On Oct 25, 2008
Ah, well.

Na so we see am.

People are buying lands for I billion Naira.

The type of house they would buy in the States with all these monies eh,

P.Diddy n Co, go dey envy dem,
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 10:29pm On Oct 25, 2008
i think you should consider the acre of lands they buy. houses in nigeria are typical bigger than the houses in the US and especially those cardboard boxes in the UK
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by nalijah07(f): 3:26am On Oct 26, 2008
Thanks everyone - this is really helpful.

So let's say I wanted to build a house that is the equal to a home that cost 150,000 usd in stone mountain, ga or dallas, tx. How much would that cost me in Naira? In lagos or benin city?
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by nalijah07(f): 3:41am On Oct 26, 2008
@ okija_juju - cracking up at your movie scenario

are you sure that milk can go as high as $5000 Naira? That is like 40 plus usd Is that powdered?
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 5:45am On Oct 26, 2008
If Nigeria were to stop importing such a large portion of it's domestic consumption, prices would go down dramatically.
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 7:21am On Oct 26, 2008
you can't produce much in nigeria with high production costs. high transportation costs, lack of power, water, raw materials,poor industry standards etc.
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 8:40am On Oct 26, 2008
That's why massive infrastructure upgrades are desperately needed.
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Gamine(f): 2:45pm On Oct 26, 2008
@NAlijah

LOL, for that cost, you could barely get a land in Lagos,

im talking average here.

But in Benin, if you want to live in a poverty-like stricken area

You will get a good deal, yet that amount wont cover the cost of land and a complete house.
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 12:36am On Oct 27, 2008
nalijah07:

Thanks everyone - this is really helpful.

So let's say I wanted to build a house that is the equal to a home that cost 150,000 usd in stone mountain, ga or dallas, tx. How much would that cost me in Naira? In lagos or benin city?

you'll build a decent house in nigeria with that amount
like anywhere in the world it all depends on the location
You can check property website for a 'rough guide' or check the property section
of this site
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by nalijah07(f): 1:49am On Oct 27, 2008
Gamine - I'm shocked!! I thought that was good money in Naija! But Dis guy seems to disagree.

@dis Guy - Do you know of any good websites?
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 1:58am On Oct 27, 2008
nalijah07:

Gamine - I'm shocked!! I thought that was good money in Naija! But this guy seems to disagree.

@this Guy - Do you know of any good websites?

it's good money to buy a BARE land but you are not building anything with that.
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 5:24am On Oct 27, 2008
with N17m come on now!!

Just because some V[/b]ery[b]G[/b]ood[b]C[/b]riminals peopleare buying land for 100m dont mean
there arent decent houses in nigeria for far less, nigeria is not just Ajah, Lekki, Ikoyi and co

nalijah07:

Gamine - I'm shocked!! I thought that was good money in Naija! But this guy seems to disagree.

@this Guy - Do you know of any [b]good websites
?

I dont know of any good site but i know some okayish one http://www.propertyinnigeria.com/SaleRentSearch.aspx?q=Sale
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Gamine(f): 10:26am On Oct 27, 2008
AArck, Dis Guy

Where are you talking about

She said Lagos or Benin

17 million is hardly enough o for Lagos.

HARDLY.
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by marketresearch: 5:02pm On Jan 14, 2015
Peak Evaporated Milk - The milk you loved as a kid

It is not uncommon for Nigerians abroad to complain about skimmed milk while hankering for this tasty equivalent.

for Nigerians looking for Peak Evaporated Milk in the US, you can get your ingredients here - http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/peak-evaporated-milk
Re: How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? by Homeyfav: 12:41pm On Oct 16, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Meet Simi Oluwaseyi Phebian, Sister Of Ooni Of Ife's Wife Changes Her Bio / Wuraola Otiti Before She Became Ooni Of Ife’s Queen / Oba Adamson Punches, Injures Chief, Alleges Disrespect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.