Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,709 members, 7,816,912 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? (13905 Views)

Guy Accidentally Pays N1.2Million For A Plate Of Amala And Soup / How Can I Prepare Amala? / Amala And Gbegiri Lovers` Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by ijeoma2619: 8:05pm On Nov 16, 2008
lol @ the unnecessary attack on emeka aloy u guys are so childish or just want to start something out of boredom, what did he say that was so tribalistic or anti-yoruba?? na wa oh, and emeka why are u responding to their pointless arguments? abeg figure out if there's an "ignore button" on this site, and put them on ignore, this is so retarded.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by ijeoma2619: 8:07pm On Nov 16, 2008
@amakaone that doesn't look so tasteful, i might try amala one day though! maybe when im extremely hungry wink
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by doranna: 3:54pm On May 19, 2009
It has nothing to do with the colour. It's the soup. Most igbos don't eat amala because of the soup. For me and my friends, its just a slimy, tasteless, green soup. Even with the stew, it still tastes horrible. I used to eat amala and ewedu a lot back in the north prepared by my friend's mom but on coming down south it was a different ball game entirely. It's not amala but the soup
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 8:00pm On May 19, 2009
lol @ the unnecessary attack on emeka aloy u guys are so childish or just want to start something out of boredom, what did he say that was so tribalistic or anti-yoruba?? na wa oh, and emeka why are u responding to their pointless arguments? abeg figure out if there's an "ignore button" on this site, and put them on ignore, this is so retarded.
You dey mind tpiah that understands things upside down. She is psychotic anyway.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpiah: 8:52pm On May 19, 2009
from aloy emekraze

It's not only igbos that avoid amala like plague. How many hausas eat it?. I  just know that many igbos don't eat it because it looks like crap, trust me the colour is not inviting if you were not born eating it.  Some also claim amala is not processed hygienically because it's from the back of yam that gets mixed accidentally with bird droppings during dessication. Every reason given so far is more psychological besides most of those igbos you met in camp probably grew up in the east, north or lagos . igbos that try it at all mostly grew up in Ibadan, akure etc but 90% of the ones you see walking around in lagos will not touch that thing with a 10 foot pole.I eat it because I naturally like food and am not afraid to eat whatever except ewedu or yoruba okro soup.  I hate yoruba okro soup because it looks like sputum/phlegm; i can oly eat them if you mix it with the stew before showing them to me . I do travel around too so the sooner I get used to eating anything, the better for me.  I won't forget the night I ate something in the family of lizard in some village about 100 KM east of Bangkok. My friends purged, hated themselves but I remained cool as a cucumber.

stop flogging this horse! Your yansh dey on top mountain everybody dey look.

Racist or not, be proud of who you are- if you cant get along with other tribes then stick with your own. Its not by force abeg!!!

If someone comes here saying Igbo soup looks like sputum/phlegm 90% of the Igbos here will attack the person!

Stay within your village boundaries and let those who are enlightened do the outside interaction for you these country bumpkins!

and before you tell me Yorubas also abuse Yoruba soup- show me anywhere you abused Igbo soup!

As if Igbos never heard of amala before you joined nairaland!

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Ejadamen(f): 9:52pm On May 19, 2009
All of you are funny. All these people afraid of either amala or the ewedu soup, do you not eat wheat? There's not much difference in the colour of wheat and that of amala.
dora-nna:

It has nothing to do with the colour. It's the soup. Most igbos don't eat amala because of the soup. For me and my friends, its just a slimy, tasteless, green soup. Even with the stew, it still tastes horrible. I used to eat amala and ewedu a lot back in the north prepared by my friend's mom but on coming down south it was a different ball game entirely. It's not amala but the soup
Ewedu soup is lovely maybe your taste buds don't agree with it but it's delicious. I find this soup repulsive oha because it looks terrible. Even abacha, nyama!

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by londoner: 1:42pm On Jun 01, 2009
Amala tastes horrible to me, and many other people. Why must Igbos (in particular) like it anyway ?, Is it just because it is a Yoruba delicacy? Do the Yoruba's feel they must collectively eat food which is popular to other tribes, even if they dont like it?

I dont have to say I like something, just because it is a Yoruba delicacy. I cant stand Amala, it tastes like eating soil to me, however my Mum likes it.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpiah: 2:57pm On Jun 01, 2009
londoner:

Amala tastes horrible to me, and many other people. Why must Igbos (in particular) like it anyway ?, Is it just because it is a Yoruba delicacy? Do the Yoruba's feel they must collectively eat food which is popular to other tribes, even if they dont like it?

I dont have to say I like something, just because it is a Yoruba delicacy. I cant stand Amala, it tastes like eating soil to me, however my Mum likes it.

Can you direct your questions at aloy emekraze who started the thread asking why Igbos fear amala.

Did the Yorubas say they're forcefeeeding amala to Igbo people?

Or do you see anyone beside emekraze losing sleep over who does or doesnt like amala?

What exactly are you trying to prove here? angry

some people eat stockfish while others cant stand the smell- are the non-eaters starting stupid threads like this one?

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Ejadamen(f): 4:50pm On Jun 01, 2009
tpiah:

Can you direct your questions at aloy emekraze who started the thread asking why Igbos fear amala.

Did the Yorubas say they're forcefeeeding amala to Igbo people?

Or do you see anyone beside emekraze losing sleep over who does or doesnt like amala?

What exactly are you trying to prove here? angry

some people eat stockfish while others cant stand the smell- are the non-eaters starting stupid threads like this one?

Sitting back and waiting for the thunder lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpiah: 8:03pm On Jun 01, 2009
some people cant even discuss ordinary food without making it a jab at tribe. angry

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Igwe9(m): 8:30pm On Jun 01, 2009
tpiah:

some people cant even discuss ordinary food without making it a jab at tribe. angry
You 're right but she's also right in there. smiley Ain't comfortable with the color cheesy that's me. cool
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Nobody: 1:14am On Jun 02, 2009
The fear of Amala is usually used to know the "Igbotic" ones. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Sissy3(f): 7:06am On Jun 02, 2009
stillwater:

The fear of Amala is usually used to know the "Igbotic" ones. grin

lol grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 7:55am On Jun 02, 2009
stop flogging this horse! Your yansh dey on top mountain everybody dey look.

Racist or not, be proud of who you are- if you cant get along with other tribes then stick with your own. Its not by force abeg!!!

If someone comes here saying Igbo soup looks like sputum/phlegm 90% of the Igbos here will attack the person!

Stay within your village boundaries and let those who are enlightened do the outside interaction for you these country bumpkins!

and before you tell me Yorubas also abuse Yoruba soup- show me anywhere you abused Igbo soup!

As if Igbos never heard of amala before you joined nairaland!
My friend that okro looks like sputum now com and arrest me.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by princess59: 11:25am On Jun 03, 2009
what's wrong with Amala for God's sake .what a delicious food! angry

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Diva1(f): 3:54am On Jun 08, 2009
The color is pretty scary lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Ate Fufu For The First Time! / Please What Is The Yoruba Name Or Igbo Names Of These Fruits? / 6 Foods You Can Cook In A Microwave To Make Your Life Easier-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.