Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister (25410 Views)

Why Nigeria Can't Win Lassa Fever Battle As Ebola - Health Minister / Nigerian Health Minister Says N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others / First Nigerian Ebola Survivor Not Treated With "Nano Silver" - Health Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 6:20am On Aug 27, 2014
Amidst angry reactions trailing the unavailability of the N1.9 billion released by President Goodluck Jonathan for the management of Ebola, the Health Minister, Onyebuchi Chukwu, has denied the money was for the management of the virus.

Mr. Chukwu’s denial came Tuesday despite an official statement from the federal government to the contrary.

On August 8, at the peak of the Ebola crisis, the president, in a press release signed by Reuban Abati, announced the release of N1.9 billion as a Special Intervention Fund for the management of Ebola.

“President Jonathan also approved a Special Intervention Plan and the immediate release of N1. 9 billion for its implementation, to further strengthen on-going steps to contain the virus such as the establishment of additional isolation centres, case management, contact tracing, deployment of additional personnel, screening at borders, and the procurement of required items and facilities.

“The President commends the vigilance of aviation and health authorities in Lagos who identified and isolated the index case in Nigeria, the late Patrick Sawyer, an American-Liberian who flew into the country,” the statement read.

On Tuesday, however, Mr. Chukwu denied that the money was released for the management of Ebola. The Minister of Health said the money was approved for the Ministry of Health.

“The N1.9billion approved by the president was for the federal ministry of health. It is not for Ebola fund. It will be used to procure more vehicles for working which have been ordered. It would be used to procure more drugs that have been ordered…and other items.

“In the case of Lagos state, after the president met commissioners of health, the president then asked the minister of health to discuss with the technical people and money has been approved for Lagos state,” he said.

He further stated that though the world is at risk, the federal ministry of health is ready to face any outbreak.

“Excellence is a journey, it’s never a destination. The federal ministry of health is ready to face any outbreak.

“Every country and every citizen of the world remains at risk but Nigeria is on top of the situation so we don’t want people to panic. We should be in charge but not panic” he said.

The Lagos State government had complained that it did not receive the funds released for the management of Ebola despite being the epicentre of the management of the infection in the country.

https://m.premiumtimesng.com/news/167335-nigerian-health-minister-says-n1-9-bn-ebola-fund-will-be-used-for-cars-others.html
Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by me1234: 6:31am On Aug 27, 2014
What kind of a country is this for God sake?

92 Likes 14 Shares

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by BrainBoulevard: 6:37am On Aug 27, 2014
Why am i not suprised? Only in Nigeria:::Minister of Health vs Abati::::::Some1 is definately not telling the Truth

11 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by shikshark: 6:42am On Aug 27, 2014
why cars. why not create more employment in the health sector, the Nigeria i see nowadays is the one at the grip of corrupt public office holders

12 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 6:42am On Aug 27, 2014

“Excellence is a journey, it’s never a
destination. The federal ministry of health is
ready to face any outbreak.
“Every country and every citizen of the world
remains at risk but Nigeria is on top of the
situation so we don’t want people to panic. We
should be in charge but not panic” he said.
what kind of comment is this biko? Same thing they told us we shouldn't panic about Boko Haram that terrorists are everywhere. We have seen the result today as Boko Haram have started hoisting flags and daring Federal Government.

I feel like slapping Onyebuchi Chukwu right now! I don't know why Jonathan is surrounded by mad,useless and incompetent people which makes him no exception. Chai!!

angry angry

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Chibaba247(m): 6:44am On Aug 27, 2014
Cars? Ok na,if it is a neccesity, den let dem purchase dem,bt if it is for ur personal use, thunder go fire person

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by GentleMimi: 6:54am On Aug 27, 2014
I'm very sure my ears and eyes were functioning to fullest capacity when i heard and read abt the release of such funds. Now story don change. This is pathetic!
Unfortunately,when this ebola ish is over,everyone will want to take the glory,claiming to have curbed the crisis. The real heroes are the late Doc. Adadevoh and her health team,also the few volunteers at the isolation centre. I will also applaud the state govt for quick response. It is really sad. I pray we never encounter this again. I got an ''internal info'' that Adadevoh's hospital was responsible for providing the food and drugs for its staff at the isolation center.
But if i may ask,what has the government learnt from this? Have measures been put in place to avoid further future occurence? Facilities and infrastructures to help contain ebola? Or are we still exposed and helpless? I do not think we've learnt from the ongoing ebola battle.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by CircleOfWilis: 7:03am On Aug 27, 2014
#clueless fool

3 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by chinakobo(m): 7:12am On Aug 27, 2014
I don't believe this story.
Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by omenka(m): 7:12am On Aug 27, 2014
1). Aba Moro defied him!! He did nothing!!

2). Chuckwu has taken a cue from Moro, and guess what?? He would do NOTHING again!!!
gringrin

#JonathanIsAFigureHead!!!

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by RockMaxi: 7:14am On Aug 27, 2014
On August 8, at the peak of the Ebola crisis, the
president, in a press release signed by Reuban
Abati, announced the release of N1.9 billion as a
Special Intervention Fund for the management of
Ebola.
“President Jonathan also approved a Special
Intervention Plan and the immediate release of
N1. 9 billion for its implementation,
to further
strengthen on-going steps to contain the virus
such as the establishment of additional isolation
centres, case management, contact tracing,
deployment of additional personnel, screening at
borders, and the procurement of required items
and facilities.

I hope I am not reading the article upside down, what happened to the Health ministry's budget prior to Ebola outbreak. Vehicles and drugs that have been ordered angry angry,

26 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Ekundayo7: 7:14am On Aug 27, 2014
See now how they are fighting publicly like jealous women at market over a large fish...smh God help Nigeria

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by drsteroid(m): 7:21am On Aug 27, 2014
I believe Nigeria is winning this war against ebola.This is one of Goodluck's major achievement as a president.kudos 2 him,our honourable Minister of health n Nigerians.If we support d govt in other aspects of d economy just as we all supported in the management of ebola,d country wil be beta 4 all 2 liv

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by amakufrancis(m): 7:22am On Aug 27, 2014
i smell coruption

8 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 27, 2014
What is wrong with this minister of health? Why not use the funds to set up world class isolation centres with well trained staff for hemorrhagic diseases or other highly infectious deadly diseases in select existing FG tertiary hospitals? Why not use part of the funds to support research on ebola and other hemorrhagic diseases? What about procurement of adequate barrier nursing tools and PPE in the existing in the hospitals? This minister should better get his acts together.

I guess the minister made this pronouncement because he feels the current outbreak of ebola has been effectively contained, but while that maybe true, we should begin now to prepare for the next outbreak of ebola, other hemorrhagic diseases or any other highly infectious and deadly disease. We should be proactive for once.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 27, 2014
Sincere9gerian: What is wrong with this minister of health? Why not use the funds to set up world class isolation centres with well trained staff for hemorrhagic diseases in select existing FG tertiary hospitals? Why not use part of the funds to support research on ebola and other hemorrhagic diseases? What about procurement of adequate barrier nursing tools and PPE in the existing in the hospitals? We should be proactive for once in this country. This minister should better get his acts together
who hacked your account? Issaylie!! shocked shocked

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 27, 2014
I didn't expect anything less from them. Confused bunches.

Cars?

Of all things in the world.

Vote them out!

7 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 27, 2014
berem: who hacked your account? Issaylie!! shocked shocked
I did tongue

2 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by kernel504(m): 7:45am On Aug 27, 2014
Mr Chukwu, am ashame you.
You don't seen to have feelings for human life, If N1.9 billion was appropriated to fight Ebola, why didn't Lagos get at least some part of that money.
And you have the gut to tell Nigerians you have procured vehicles with N1.9 billion is that what the money was meant for?
The quarantine facilities I saw were too poor.
Am disappointed you are an Igbo man like me.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by phantom(m): 8:03am On Aug 27, 2014
grin grin......the earlier this man loses his job the better for everyone.

he's already on a collision course with senator mark.

12 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 27, 2014
berem: who hacked your account? Issaylie!! shocked shocked
I am the NUMBER ONE supporter of GEJ govt but that does not stop me from criticizing (constructively) actions or inactions of either the president himself or any of his appointees. If APC e-warriors have been engaged in constructive criticisms, there would not have been all the e-fights on this platform.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 27, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
I am the NUMBER ONE supporter of GEJ govt but does not stop me from criticizing (constructively) actions or inactions of either the president himself or any of his appointees. [s] If APC e-warriors have been engaged in constructive criticisms, there would not have been all the e-fights on this platform. [/s]
save me your usual lamentations please!
Duurrhhh!! undecided

52 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 27, 2014
i have learned never to trust anything FG. Apc does little and make plenty noise about it while PDP does nothing and even make more noise than the APC.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by RockMaxi: 8:18am On Aug 27, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
I am the NUMBER ONE supporter of GEJ govt but that does not stop me from criticizing (constructively) actions or inactions of either the president himself or any of his appointees. If APC e-warriors have been engaged in constructive criticisms, there would not have been all the e-fights on this platform.

I sense a rebirth grin grin

15 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 27, 2014
btw lets not forget this man was indicted for corruption at the state level before Gej made him minister.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 27, 2014
berem: save me your usual lamentations please!
Duurrhhh!! undecided
I hope your leader, Tinubu, is recuperating in the world class hospital he travelled to abroad, of course at the expense of the tax paying and long suffering Lagosians?

12 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by Dibiachukwu: 10:13am On Aug 27, 2014

3 Likes

Re: N1.9 Bn ‘ebola Fund’ Will Be Used For Cars, Others - Health Minister by obailala(m): 12:10pm On Aug 27, 2014
Not long ago, health practitioners and relatives of the ebola victims complained that the so called 1.9billion did not get to the ebola treatment centres and some self appointed govt defenders foolishly accused every media body which carried the news as being sponsored by APC.

Now if this report by the health minister is true, then it's another exposure on the foolishness of some ordinary Nigerian individuals who have placed a burden upon themselves to defend the evils of the federal government even in situations when the FG does not need their services.

34 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Skin Like Milk: How Organic Are Organic Creams? / White Man In Lagos Presents Crutches To Physically Challenged Girl (Photo) / Ways You Make Yourself Look Older Than You Are

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.