Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Twinning - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Twinning (828 Views)

Help A Desperate Friend Is Taking Over My Marriage / I’ve Been Stripped Unclad – Mother Of Twins Killed By Drunken-Cop / Give Me A Child And Get 250k, Twins 500k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Twinning by jerricho(m): 10:15am On Aug 27, 2014
The birthrate for twins is going up, and in related news, my desire to have children has plummeted.

I'd love to see my twins emerge from my wife's womb holding hands; before breaking into juicy pear tears.

The photo's going to be absolutely adorable and also kind of gross.

Hopefully, my twins won't be monoamniotic.

Monoamniotic twins are especially noteworthy though.

In case it's unclear, twins that are monoamniotic means that they share the same amniotic sac and placenta.

It's a rare occurrence happening around 1 in 10,000 births—and it's extremely risky.

Monoamniotic twins have high chances of getting entangled in the umbilical cord during pregnancy.

And even though my twins turn out to be monoamniotic, they will be born healthy and happy.

Recently, this twin thingy got me doing some thinking. What are the odds of having twins? God, I love me some twins!

Turns out the odds of having twins is a lot higher today than it was even a few decades ago.

In 2010, to the best of my knowledge, twins accounted for around 1 in 30 births; and while that might seem extremely high, keep in mind that fraternal twins—those who don't share identical features—make up well over two thirds of that.

Even so, these numbers are continuing to rise. The birthrate for twins has risen by 76% over the past 30 years. And, there are several reasons why that might be.

Now most of it is due to a rise in fertility treatments which greatly increases the odds of having multiple births by around 20-40%.

Another factor is that women are now waiting longer to have kids.

It might interest you to know that as women grow older, their bodies go through hormonal changes that cause them to release multiple eggs at once.

So, even though women over age 35 are less likely to get pregnant overall, they're also more likely to have multiple births in the event that they do get pregnant.

For women aged 40, the odds of having twins goes up to around 7%; and at 45, that number goes to a whopping 17%!

There are also genetic factors that make women more likely to have multiple births.

For example, if someone in your family has given birth to twins then you are also more likely to have them. And the same goes for your children.

The more pregnancies you've had, the more likely you are to have twins in the future.

And if you've already had a set of fraternal twins then you are much much more likely to have another pair sometime in the future.

Being of a certain race can also predispose you. For instance, African-Americans are more likely to have twins than any other race. While Hispanic and Asian people are the least likely.

And then there are things you'd never even consider to have an effect, like body type.

Observingly, it's actually apparent, or rather obvious, that twins are more common in women who are taller and heavier, than in women who are small and underweight.

Proportionately, women who took folic acid supplements during their time of conception increased their odds of having twins by 40%.

Additionally, women who increased their dairy consumption before or during conception, are up to 5 times more likely to have twins! Perhaps due to the synthetic growth hormones that are now being injected in cows.

Believe it or not, there's an entire subset of women devoted to "twinning"—which is the practice of changing your diet or daily habits in order to increase your odds of having multiple births.

Conclusively, and aside from all the medical complications twins can bring, personally, the idea of having 2 separate people growing inside of a woman for 9 months is amazingly awesome!

Anyway, I'm sure some of you out there reading this have given birth to twins; and if you have, I'll love to read about your experience. Just leave your thoughts in the comments below, and as always, thanks for reading.
Re: Twinning by Dubby6(m): 11:07am On Aug 27, 2014
I love twins too
E get one of my Neighbours wey get two sets of twins(non- identical sha)
Now her daughter wey no b twin don born twins...
Na to go marry from dat family be dat na

1 Like

Re: Twinning by hushmail: 11:58am On Aug 27, 2014
twins dey sweet from afar

when e reach u, u go no say na double d work and d cost

1 Like

Re: Twinning by sheunfemix: 12:21pm On Aug 27, 2014
I love twin also. But do u knw Nigerian women have d highest likely chance of given birth to twins in d world? Yoruba women precisely. Google it. Twins run in my family. My grandmother is a twin, she gave birth to two set of twins. My aunty gave birth to twins and so many oda twins frm my mother's side. Just knw of one set of twins frm my fathers side. My husbands older brothers are twins we call dem ITAK. That's Iyanda Taiwo And Kehinde. I dnt think I'll have twins. Have two girls already and I've put FULLSTOP to child bearing. Funny I think those of us who wants twins hardly get 'em

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Wat U Need To Knw Abt Showing Favourism Amg Ur Kids / What Is The Greatest Gift A Parent Can Give A Child? / FAMILY AFFAIR: Mrs Mugabe Planning To Succeed Mr Mugabe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.