Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,558 members, 7,823,454 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Stats For Nairaland - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Stats For Nairaland (1177 Views)

Suggested Upgrade For Nairaland / Lets have a Mobile App For Nairaland / Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stats For Nairaland by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
Well, i am currently running some analysis which may be core to some decisions i need to make very soon.
PHP is good, no doubt but with my experience working with PHP for well over 12 years and with python for about 7 years now, i can say python is better in many aspect i can't begin to quote.

I know Nairaland started off from SMF software and after a while, probably started claiming a lot of RAM due to the huge traffic.
so seun had to dump PHP and re-write the application code from scratch in python while probably maintaining the old mysql database.

I can guess the RAM and CPU usage must have reduced greatly and from the look of things, Nairaland software is stable and doing well
can anyone from the nairaland team share the frameworks, template engine etc in use?
and maybe some site traffic info and resource consumption too can help us make some decisions in our choice of frameworks/toolkits
what were the problems with the old software that was written in PHP.

thanks.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Stats For Nairaland by Seun(m): 3:03pm On Aug 27, 2014
We use CherryPy as a minimal framework. We've written simple routines for routing, templating, db pooling, etc that suit our needs perfectly.

We like servers with lots of RAM (for the database) and solid state storage (to make maintenance operations like backups & table rebuilds fast).

We switched from SMF because we felt that we understood the needs of our forum and could write our own code to satisfy those needs better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stats For Nairaland by asalimpo(m): 3:20pm On Aug 27, 2014
webdezzi: Well, i am currently running some analysis which may be core to some decisions i need to make very soon.
PHP is good, no doubt but with my experience working with PHP for well over 12 years and with python for about 7 years now, i can say python is better in many aspect i can't begin to quote.

I know Nairaland started off from SMF software and after a while, probably started claiming a lot of RAM due to the huge traffic.
so seun had to dump PHP and re-write the application code from scratch in python while probably maintaining the old mysql database.

I can guess the RAM and CPU usage must have reduced greatly and from the look of things, Nairaland software is stable and doing well
can anyone from the nairaland team share the frameworks, template engine etc in use?
and maybe some site traffic info and resource consumption too can help us make some decisions in our choice of frameworks/toolkits

thanks.

you hav tey-ed in programming.
What edge does python hav over php? Considerg however tht what one language can do another can do likewise .. (turing complete languages).
Bet som php guyz may disagree with you on this.
Re: Stats For Nairaland by Seun(m): 3:23pm On Aug 27, 2014
asalimpo: What edge does python hav over php?
Python was designed by a guy who wanted to create a great general-purpose programming language. PHP evolved from a templating engine.
Re: Stats For Nairaland by Nctrice(m): 3:45pm On Aug 27, 2014

<?php
$Firstly = "GetMyselfSomePopcorn";
$secondly = "LayOnMyCouch";
$thirdly = "RefreshThreadPerSecondsPerSecond";
$Thinking = "I will learn a lot from this thread";

Echo $Firstly<br/>;
Echo $secondly<br/>;
Echo $thirdly<br/>;

Echo "to hell with my interview tomorrow" $Thinking;

?>

Hope I tried?
wink
Re: Stats For Nairaland by asalimpo(m): 5:38pm On Aug 27, 2014
Seun:
Python was designed by a guy who wanted to create a great general-purpose programming language. PHP evolved from a templating engine.
in other wrds,php was hacked together while python was thoughtfully sculpted (after guido came out of his meditation under a waterfall).
not being a php coder i cant comment. But you've not answered my exact question. In what specifc ways is python above php. (not an exhaustve list just some points).
python's main accusation is it's speed.
Re: Stats For Nairaland by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 27, 2014
Seun: We use CherryPy as a minimal framework. We've written simple routines for routing, templating, db pooling, etc that suit our needs perfectly.

We like servers with lots of RAM (for the database) and solid state storage (to make maintenance operations like backups & table rebuilds fast).

We switched from SMF because we felt that we understood the needs of our forum and could write our own code to satisfy those needs better.

Thanks for clearing the framework part.
can you give a rough stat of the old RAM consumption versus current, based on say 2000 concurrent requests
Re: Stats For Nairaland by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 27, 2014
*This is interesting* see them masters talking. Make I no lie, i no understand wetin them dey talk. Please someone should translate all the talks above into something wey layman like me fit understand. Is PHP templating engine not smarty? So PHP was developed from smarty? I don lost for here o, and i think say i sabi programming, ori ya mi o (place both hands on the head and trolls away) cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Stats For Nairaland by realugee: 10:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
dhtml18: *This is interesting* see them masters talking. Make I no lie, i no understand wetin them dey talk. Please someone should translate all the talks above into something wey layman like me fit understand. Is PHP templating engine not smarty? So PHP was developed from smarty? I don lost for here o, and i think say i sabi programming, ori ya mi o (place both hands on the head and trolls away) cry cry cry cry cry
You are not alone...
Re: Stats For Nairaland by curiouslad(m): 12:10am On Aug 28, 2014
webdezzi:
thanks.

https://blog.mailchimp.com/ewww-you-use-php/

Extracts from the URL Above

Yes, I’m afraid we have to come clean. We use PHP here at MailChimp. For the non-programmers among you, PHP is a programming language that is extremely ...

...We’ve built a framework for developing applications in PHP specifically designed to allow for fast innovation in the high-load, high-performance environment we live in every day while still keeping the API extremely simple to deal with....
We use this architecture to process well over thirty million emails sent by tens of thousands of users every day, generating tens of millions of bounces, opens, clicks, and unsubscribes that all need to be handled in near-real time. We further process millions of API requests and millions of subscribes and confirmations every day. All told, we handle well over 500 million dynamic page views a month. Our backend systems run millions of jobs every day, calculating statistics, querying geographic data, and scanning everything for bad behavior and abuse.

Seun: We use CherryPy as a minimal framework. We've written simple routines for routing, templating, db pooling, etc that suit our needs perfectly.

Whatever you do, Whatever Language you choose, You still have to optimize for your specific USE Case
Good Luck
Re: Stats For Nairaland by realugee: 1:14am On Aug 28, 2014
curiouslad:

https://blog.mailchimp.com/ewww-you-use-php/

Extracts from the URL Above

Whatever you do, Whatever Language you choose, You still have to optimize for your specific USE Case
Good Luck
I now feel a lot better about using PHP... BTW even Facebook use PHP.

(1) (Reply)

Game Programming - Pros And Cons / Programming Books / Please What Other Service Apart From Remita Exist In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.