Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? (11238 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) / Why Are Fathers Overprotective Of Their daughters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Ifygurl: 3:36am On Oct 25, 2008
Is it my parents or all Nigerian parents are like that.

Seriously, my parents are always on my back about everything. I can't even go anywhere without them calling and yelling and screaming for me to return home especially my mother.

My father really doesn't care. All he'll do is look at you and treaten to take my back to a boarding school in Nigeria. It's annoying.

My bestfriend is Nigerian also but her mother is the one being over-protective.

My cousin's and some of our Nigerian friends do the same thing.

Seriously is it just my family parents and my bestfriends/friends parents that are like that or Nigerian parents?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by KarmaMod(f): 3:46am On Oct 25, 2008
where do you live?

The case for me growing up wa sthat they were *nazis* when we lived here but when we were sent to Naija for secondary school, we could do whatever the hell we wanted

Apparently they believed roaming around in Naija was safer than in the states. Plus you are around fellow Nigerians so they're no "negative influences", yes parents can be that naive.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by DavidDylan(m): 3:47am On Oct 25, 2008
not all nigerian parents. My father was like a gestapo and the house was a wide prison. You couldnt even go fetch your ball across the street without permission. smiley

gone are the days . . .
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by TOYOSI20(f): 3:52am On Oct 25, 2008
@ Topic,

Yea sometimes parents tend to be overly protective and over bearing. . . . .

and when u look at what goes on in the outside world these days u can't blame them. . .

I guess the best way to handle the whole thing is to prove to them that

u can be trusted and then with time hopefully they'll relax. . . .  undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by BabyJinx: 3:57am On Oct 25, 2008
My mom can finagle anything out of anyone. . . she asks one question and you find yourself confessing to crap you did when you were 10 and this is on the phone coz she is in Nigeria!!!!

Someday when I have enough money, I'm gonna have our house swept for listening device because I am sure that woman has bugs all over the place.

So Ify, trust me. . . it's not just your parents and it probably is worse because you are a girl. My younger brother comes and goes as he pleases and no one bats an eye, my older brothers even egg him.

So uncool! angry
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Ifygurl: 5:18am On Oct 25, 2008
KarmaMod:

where do you live?

The case for me growing up wa sthat they were *nazis* when we lived here but when we were sent to Naija for secondary school, we could do whatever the hell we wanted

Apparently they believed roaming around in Naija was safer than in the states. Plus you are around fellow Nigerians so they're no "negative influences", yes parents can be that naive.

I live in America for the time being. We plan on movingback to Naija. And your right, when i'm in Naija my parents could careless what time i'm outside as long as i'm with a friend or so. If i'm by myself that's another chapter. It's like they believe Nigeria streets is safer than America(I grew up in Naija and i know that's not true).
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by davidif: 10:06am On Oct 25, 2008
@poster
There is nothing wrong with it just go to the inner city and you would find out and really appreciate your parents more.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by dayokanu(m): 12:20am On Oct 26, 2008
I grew up in Nigeria and Beleive me my parents are very strict. You know In other countries you cant flog children

But growing up in Naija, My dad flogged the Hell out of Me!!!!

I was so convinced they adopted me cos I can't imagine you beating your own child the way I was.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by fayahsoul: 8:18pm On Jan 03, 2009
hahaha, my dad was a dictator.

When ever he was around everyone behaved and if mama had any negative reports for him about you, you did pray that the sun stood still so that he doesn't return from work that day.

Anyway, in regards to why they may be more protective in foreign lands, i think it has something to do with the possibility of lossing a child in a foreign land; which in igbo land it's somewhat of an abormination for a nwadiala to die in a foreign land.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by JJYOU: 8:42pm On Jan 03, 2009
Baby Jinx:

My mom can finagle anything out of anyone. . . she asks one question and you find yourself confessing to crap you did when you were 10 and this is on the phone because she is in Nigeria!!!!

Someday when I have enough money, I'm going to have our house swept for listening device because I am sure that woman has bugs all over the place.

So Ify, trust me. . . it's not just your parents and it probably is worse because you are a girl. My younger brother comes and goes as he pleases and no one bats an eye, my older brothers even egg him.

So uncool! angry
DavidDylan:

not all nigerian parents. My father was like a gestapo and the house was a wide prison. You couldnt even go fetch your ball across the street without permission.  smiley

gone are the days . . .
KarmaMod:

where do you live?

ALL FOR YOUR GOOD AND DONE MOSTLY BECAUSE THEY  LOVE YOU AND WANTED THE BEST FOR YOU.  BE THANKFULL YOU GUYS TURNED OUT GOOD.  MOST KIDS WHO NEVER GOTT THAT ARE MOSTLY JAIL BIRDS TODAY. JUMPING FROM ONE TROUBLE TO THE OTHER
@ JINX. it has nothing to do with bugs. it comes from experience. dont forget they were once young too. they know most things you think they dont know. my granny was one clever spy. she could read you like a book. we always tot she was every where.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by 4Play(m): 8:51pm On Jan 03, 2009
I can't remember my dad flogging me, except once when I called my sister a bastard. grin My dad said his dad never flogged him and he doesn't believe in corporal punishment himself.

My mum? shocked Everything, from slaps to a karate kick don land on me. angry

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by KarmaMod(f): 8:56pm On Jan 03, 2009
4 Play:

My mum? shocked Everything, from slaps to a karate kick don land on me. angry

Well deserved Im sure grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by 4Play(m): 9:00pm On Jan 03, 2009
KarmaMod:

Well deserved I'm sure grin
Considering how relatively well behaved I was, don't think so.

I'm against corporal punishment though, didn't do me any good.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by KarmaMod(f): 9:03pm On Jan 03, 2009
Im sure she wouldnt have karate chopped you if you were "well behaved" 4Play

so shush
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by 4Play(m): 9:22pm On Jan 03, 2009
Would have had you despatched to Helen Ukpabio's nursery myself, TOH.

Naija parents are overbearing but they do ''over pamper'' us in return. Many Naija guys are still living with their parents right into their 30s.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jan 03, 2009
The day my mom will stop being over protective, that day, I go kill 10 cows cheesy cheesy tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by sleekdot(m): 10:57pm On Jan 03, 2009
When I remember some of the flogging I got as I youth I still feel like crying.

if it were to be in the US, My dad would surely be in jail for child abuse.

Anytime my dad came in, you must always have a Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics book on your laps.

One day i ran home to watch soccer(Africa 95: Nigeria vs Mali) and he made me back the TV while the match was on.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jan 03, 2009
sleekdot:

Anytime my dad came in, you must always have a Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics book on your laps.

One day i ran home to watch soccer(Africa 95: Nigeria vs Mali) and he made me back the TV while the match was on.

cheesy grin cheesy rotflmao grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by H2O2: 10:59pm On Jan 03, 2009
roflol
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by princekevo(m): 5:44pm On Jan 04, 2009
sleekdot:

Those beating and flogging of those days made us wht we are today unlike wht we see around us as today's kids.
@ poster.
A pig asked the mother why her mouth was the way it is and the mother pig told her to chill down when she grows she will understand why.
I believe when you experience wht it takes to have a kid, you will then decide either to overprotect them or leave them live carelessly
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Sauron1: 2:19am On Jan 05, 2009
dayokanu:

I grew up in Nigeria and Beleive me my parents are very strict. You know In other countries you can't flog children

But growing up in Naija, My dad flogged the Hell out of Me!!!!

I was so convinced they adopted me because I can't imagine you beating your own child the way I was.

Now i know why you are twisted.
U prolly took more beatings than u shoulda taken. grin grin

Nigerian parents are just lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by dayokanu(m): 2:22am On Jan 05, 2009
Sauron,
Unlike your parents who gave up on you earlier when they discovered you were a lost case
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Sauron1: 2:26am On Jan 05, 2009
dayokanu:

Sauron,
Unlike your parents who gave up on you earlier when they discovered you were a lost case

I wasn't a silly hilly billy like u. I had the freedom to do whatever i wanted.
As the only son in the house, chores flew over me head like i had no business with em.
I could go anywhere as long as i returned b4 10 pm. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by netotse(m): 2:45am On Jan 05, 2009
i tire for the matter o, i'm over 18(shame will not let me say my age here sef!) and when i'm in town and i want to stay at my friends place my mum always wants to talk to his friends mum(one of these days i'll tell her mummy dont worry her mom is in the kitchen i'll tell her to tell her mom to call u bak when she's done---she'll throw a fit, lol)
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by H2O2: 2:45am On Jan 05, 2009
lol
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Nobody: 2:54am On Jan 05, 2009
netotse:

i tire for the matter o, i'm over 18(shame will not let me say my age here sef!) and when i'm in town and i want to stay at my friends place my mum always wants to talk to his friends mum(one of these days i'll tell her mummy don't worry her mom is in the kitchen i'll tell her to tell her mom to call u bak when she's done---she'll throw a fit, lol)

Lol grin

@topic

It would be worse if you eventually move to Nigeria!!! cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Hauwa1: 3:31am On Jan 05, 2009
my parents were overprotective. well, looking back i'd say great job but back then i didn't like it. interesting while i was leaving my parents were crying saying who is going to protect me over there now cry haha. i told them well i got to go or i'd lose the award. the free full education package was just too much to ignore over a doting parents.

i think the overprotective nature of our parents is preventing the spirit of adventure most africans lack am i correct?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by dayokanu(m): 4:05am On Jan 05, 2009
I wasn't a silly hilly billy like u. I had the freedom to do whatever i wanted.
As the only son in the house, chores flew over me head like i had no business with em.
I could go anywhere as long as i returned before 10 pm.

The freedom you had didnt help you and the community at all. Thats why you are so spoilt and rotten
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by tRoOE(f): 6:13am On Jan 05, 2009
I won't say my parent were over-protective type
My dad is what people call the cool dad, he can't even hurt a fly,so how can he beat me

Oh Lard my mother hmmmmmmmm, she was the screaming type, all she does was yell and cuss you out still the sun rise,but i feared her sha,becos of her screaming, I hate to be yelled out.

But am glad she put the fear in me, if not i would have turned out terrible, judging by the life i was living during my youth year
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by iice(f): 1:08pm On Jan 05, 2009
My parents are sort of cool.
My dad is mellow but straightforward, my mom is more of the disciplinarian and a perfectionist.  She too talk - i dreaded those.  We always had some extent of freedom as kids.  And boy did we have some fun. She was more strict than over protective we used to think back then. But then again, we are very stubborn grin so she needed to be strict.  Thankfully she has mellowed down now through some moves like that grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by fireangels(f): 8:58pm On Jan 05, 2009
@all replies

laffin my ass out

especially d guy dat said he was convinced, he was adopted
gosh i don la ff tire grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by syren: 12:50am On Jan 07, 2009
iice:

My parents are sort of cool.
My dad is mellow but straightforward, my mom is more of the disciplinarian and a perfectionist.  She too talk - i dreaded those.  We always had some extent of freedom as kids.  And boy did we have some fun. She was more strict than over protective we used to think back then. But then again, we are very stubborn grin so she needed to be strict.  Thankfully she has mellowed down now through some moves like that grin grin

haha, yeh my mum had a lecture for every occasion when I did something wrong. Sometimes I felt like saying "just give me the beating and let me go!" lol  cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse? / My Wife Packed Out Of My House / Why Do Most Women Feel So Uncomfortable With Their In-laws?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.