Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,039 members, 7,821,577 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? (11256 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) / Why Are Fathers Overprotective Of Their daughters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by iice(f): 9:55am On Jan 08, 2009
syren:

haha, yeh my mum had a lecture for every occasion when I did something wrong. Sometimes I felt like saying "just give me the beating and let me go!" lol  cheesy

Lecture that sometimes encompasses 5yrs of all the deeds i've done prior to the present sit down.
I feel you, i just wanted the beating too.  Though we go spanked alot for daring to go on adventures all day (we were around 4-6yrs) quite far away from home without people knowing where we were.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by darkgoddes(f): 5:12pm On Jan 08, 2009
I will describe my mum as being too strict way back then. She always make a rule about being sure i get back home by 7pm (that is if she has to give her consent about letting me go out in the first place) or else, i will have to go and look for a friend of hers to beg her if i stay later than the specified time. Once it is 7pm, she will be seated at the balcony of our house. by 8pm, she will start stretching her neck looking towards the end of the street, willing me to appear from around the street. If she didnt see me by 9pm, she wont be seated anymore. By 10pm, people around will know there is something wrong as she would raise an alarm. Let me dare not say this---cuz by 11pm, she will get her head tie and straight to the police station she goes! as she would start worrying and even be crying frantically.

By this time, i must not come home without a note from the parents of whoever i had been out with and also with about 2-3 of her friends else, hell will be let loose. Also, no more outing for the next few month.

Then i will start hatching another convincing excuse to give her before she lets me out again
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Leilah(f): 8:09pm On Jan 08, 2009
Nigerian children are way more polite and are terrified of their parents. Its so noticeable even here in Europe that they are heavily chastised. There is one day I remember that sticks in my head. When I worked as a para legal in a law firm around 2003 this couple who were cameroonian whom we represented had their little girl with them and she was about three. The little girl was making little noise (nothing that annoyed anyone) exept her father a hugeman, he rose from his chair and full force walloped the little girl across the face. I was absolutely shaking, nothing was said and the consultation just resumed.

I was at a party with my husband on xmas night and there was one lady outside thetoilet with her toddler who was about two years old and like that she was beating the hell out of the child. Imean beating the child up. I mean do we all need to go that far (in the west) bearing in mind one can easily be prosecuted andthis is happening, teenagers are actually taking their parents to court including african born teenagers! undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Nobody: 3:33am On Jan 09, 2009
Leilah:

Nigerian children are way more polite and are terrified of their parents. Its so noticeable even here in Europe that they are heavily chastised. There is one day I remember that sticks in my head. When I worked as a para legal in a law firm around 2003 this couple who were cameroonian whom we represented had their little girl with them and she was about three. The little girl was making little noise (nothing that annoyed anyone) exept her father a hugeman, he rose from his chair and full force walloped the little girl across the face. I was absolutely shaking,  nothing was said and the consultation just resumed.

I was at a party with my husband on xmas night and there was one lady outside thetoilet with her toddler who was about two years old and like that she was beating the hell out of the child. Imean beating the child up. I mean do we all need to go that far (in the west) bearing in mind one can easily be prosecuted andthis is happening, teenagers are actually taking their parents to court including african born teenagers!  undecided

The Cameroonian dad was just being abusive (the ones I know will kill you for beating their kids).  Educated Nigerians (70% of Nigerians) don't beat there kids for being kids. They only beat kids when they do something really wrong for a kid to do. We don't beat kids for playing too much or bed wetting etc,  but I'll smack my kid for being disrespectful or doing something that might negatively affect him or her in future

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by tpia: 3:43am On Jan 09, 2009
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Nobody: 4:14am On Jan 09, 2009
iice:

Lecture that sometimes encompasses 5yrs of all the deeds i've done prior to the present sit down.
I feel you, i just wanted the beating too. Though we go spanked alot for daring to go on adventures all day (we were around 4-6yrs) quite far away from home without people knowing where we were.

Beating ke? They can go ahead and lecture. I don't know how to "chest cane" grin. And when I start crying, jeez I can go on for hours, nonstop. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by iice(f): 10:08am On Jan 09, 2009
@darkgoddess, i can understand why your mom would be frantic if you weren't home by the said time.  They freak out even more because we are females. 
My mom would be like, no you can't do that or i can't let you go there because you're a girl angry  So she was stricter on me than on my brothers. Eventually it evened out tongue.

stillwater:

Beating ke? They can go ahead and lecture. I don't know how to "chest cane" grin. And when I start crying, jeez I can go on for hours, nonstop. grin

You never chopped beating for school?
LMAO @ chesting cane.  Crocodile tears? grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by darkgoddes(f): 11:36am On Feb 06, 2009
@iice, my mum's own was just too much back then. It used to be so so frustrating and annoying whenever she doesnt allow me to go out. You'd think that once i get out of the house, that someone (a man) was just going to grab and defile me. It used to be so embarrassing the way most people knows that i am never allow to go out, like a bird in a cage. I used to wish i was a boy then, as i got tired of listening to stories from my friends at school about how they enjoyed themselves at their outings

Thanks God i am a grown up woman now.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Abiodun92(m): 7:41pm On Feb 07, 2009
My dad wasn't a really nice guy, sometimes he used to beat me and my siblings with a belt or something else what he thought could be useful for bashing children. Sometimes it just seemed to me like i was being punished for no good reason. undecided

Thank God my mom never hit me, but i think she is a bit too overprotective, but she said that when i turn 18, i can do whatever the hell i like to do. smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Seun(m): 7:46pm On Feb 07, 2009
Sorry about your parents. I don't blame your mum for reacting to your dad's abuse by being overprotective, though.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by otokx(m): 5:16pm On Feb 08, 2009
they only want the best for you.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 08, 2009
yea, thats what they all say. tongue
They want the best for you.
If I had my way, most nigerian parents would get a bullet! angry

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by netotse(m): 8:00pm On Feb 08, 2009
and if i had my way u'd get a brain!  grin
(no hard feeling but i'm almost as overprotective of my parents as they are of me. . . so someone mentioning dem and bullet in the same breath doesnt sit well with me. . . enjoy ur new brain tho!)

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 08, 2009
:p
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by 2Legit: 2:10pm On Feb 09, 2009
they should not protect you. they shd leave you anywhere there's and let you be attacked
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by Princessty(f): 10:25pm On Jul 13, 2010
i know one girl in my church in New Jersey she isnt allowed to watch anything except for PBS Kids Not Even Tom And Jerry Or Hannah Montana And She is eight
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by francnaijafm: 12:11pm On Jul 12, 2012
Hi all,

We will be studyiing this issue on our radio show called 'Lets Have A Word'on NAIJA 101.1 FM and also online www.naijafm.com from 5.30 - 6.30pm...We will be speaking about it from a biblical point of view. The topic is named 'Honour Your Father And Mother...The forgotten commandment?'Tune in and get your opinions aired lived to the world...we must tackle this issue.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by smakcad(m): 3:40pm On Oct 09, 2012
I believe it to form the legacy in them that was formed by their own poarents.
Also, nowadays, their is decadenc in the society and any guy can sweet talk u into doing something.
even a girl too caan sweet talk a guy into making him love her, especially when that guyis frm a well to do home.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? by maclatunji: 3:48pm On Oct 09, 2012
Ifygurl: Is it my parents or all Nigerian parents are like that.

Seriously, my parents are always on my back about everything. I can't even go anywhere without them calling and yelling and screaming for me to return home especially my mother.

My father really doesn't care. All he'll do is look at you and treaten to take my back to a boarding school in Nigeria. It's annoying.

My bestfriend is Nigerian also but her mother is the one being over-protective.

My cousin's and some of our Nigerian friends do the same thing.

Seriously is it just my family parents and my bestfriends/friends parents that are like that or Nigerian parents?

Errrr... Could it be because of cases like:

1. The Aluu Four.

2. The case of cynthia and so on.

You see the thing about young people is that we think we are so intelligent but most of us do a lot of foolish and unwise things that leave us vulnerable to danger. Now to any sane parent, children are ultimate investments in these world; they are the part of you that is meant to stay alive when inevitable death comes along. Now, which wise investor would want his prized investment get devalued or rendered worthless... think about it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Love A Difficult Partner? / Why Do Most Women Feel So Uncomfortable With Their In-laws? / Can You Disclose Your Salary To Your Spouse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.