Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,003 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution (1260 Views)

How To Graduate With First Class- My Experiences And Lessons Learnt / The Ten Types Of Students You Can Meet Among The Higher Institution Freshers / Does The Higher Institution You Graduated From Matter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by simiolu1(m): 4:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
I collected my final results some days ago and I can proudly say I’m a graduate. I’m an alumni (I hope I can now use that word without refrain) of a State University of Technology in the South-West whose courses are all 5 years. Guess you know the name already. While ruminating before sleeping the day I got my results; I discovered I had learnt so many lessons in the University. Read on if you wanna know ‘em

1. Setting specific goals matter a lot. I can still remember the day I printed my admission letter. I was so happy to be an undergraduate after 4 years of staying at home. Still basking in the euphoria of my latest feat, I headed to school with only a goal in mind—become a graduate in the next 5 years. But the problem is, the goal wasn’t specific enough. The first time I consciously decided to graduate with a 2.1 was after collecting my 200 level second semester result. Thank God time was still on my side. Phew!

2. Hardwork really pays. I graduated with a CGPA of 3.50 (just making a second class upper) but I was fulfilled when I got my final result. I know it could have been better but considering all I went through in school, it would suffice. I finished 100 level with a CGPA of 2.61 and a carry-over in a zero unit course. I fared a little better in 200 level but managed a CGPA of 2.74 with a carry-over in a three unit course. I worked my butt off in the remaining six semesters averaging 4.0 every semester in order to graduate with a second class upper. During exams, I overworked myself and most times became ill after exams but the results always made me fulfilled. Make we no lie, there’s nothing like seeing your exam question paper and knowing that you can answer at least 3 questions out of 6 without asking for external help.
Re: Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by simiolu1(m): 4:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
3. Put your pride and ego aside; ask for help when you need it! Before writing the exam of the three-unit course I failed, I went to a course-mate and asked him to tutor me. He told me he had no time but I could come for the tutorial he was taking for our juniors. I went home and was like “so I would sit with my juniors for tutorials. Chai!” I attended the tutorial and all eyes were on me throughout but I got used to it. To cut the long story short, I had a B when the result came out. I know that if I hadn’t gone for that tutorial, I wouldn’t have made that grade.

4. The best way out of temptation is to run! One of the reasons I did bad in my first year was that I was socializing than reading. I’d leave lectures to play snooker, video games, eat at restaurants etc. and didn’t bother about my books till exams came. I lived in the school rea and these distractions abounded. I knew I wasn’t yet strong enough to resist such temptation so I moved away from school area; went home immediately after lectures and had more time for personal study. The jolly friends I had made never for once visited my new hostel cos “it was too far”. Though it initially hurt, I later realized that they weren’t really my friends and dissociated from hanging out with them.
Re: Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by simiolu1(m): 5:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
5. Being financially wise is compulsory. I wasn’t like every other student in terms of finances. I collected money for the whole semester at once (the beginning of the semester) and how I spent it was my business. Initially, I would spend like Omo Baba Olowo but as I grew older, I became wiser and learnt how to budget and save for miscellanies. Because of this newly found wisdom, I was able to furnish my room to my taste in 2 semesters.

6. Belle no be show glass. Often times as an undergraduate, I would have nothing to eat. There were times I’d pluck cashews and mangoes and they’d serve as breakfast/lunch/dinner depending on the time I ate them. But I always put a smile on my face and act as if I’d just eaten a buffet. If I no tell anyone, who go know? In fact, there was a day I trekked to school to write a test (a distance of over 4 km) only for the test not to hold. I called the course rep and told him my predicament. He was shocked because I didn’t look like someone who had trekked 4km.

Though there’re still many lessons I learnt, I’ll stop here cos I want you to add yours. Let the fun begin!
Re: Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by Soclose007(m): 5:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
That's realy interesting and motivating.. Please do continue I am enjoying it

1 Like

Re: Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by hod898(m): 6:04pm On Aug 27, 2014
Funny@ the treking 4km only not to write the test. My contribution, decide what class you want to graduate with and work towards it. That will give you a focus.
Also, always stick around with friends around whom you'll always feel motivated.
Furthermore, respect your lecturers, and join a good gathering.
Lastly, but not the least, be prayerful.

2 Likes

Re: Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by KillerBeauty(f): 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2014
One of the things I learnt from my undergraduate days is how to be confident and speak in front of a crowd. In school I was always heading assignment groups and I was always the one to do the presentation. Though I don't really volunteer to head the group but most times my group members always shy away from such positions. So at the end of the day I became confident to speak in front of a crowd at any time.

1 Like

Re: Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by simiolu1(m): 7:55am On Aug 28, 2014
KillerBeauty: One of the things I learnt from my undergraduate days is how to be confident and speak in front of a crowd. In school I was always heading assignment groups and I was always the one to do the presentation. Though I don't really volunteer to head the group but most times my group members always shy away from such positions. So at the end of the day I became confident to speak in front of a crowd at any time.
Nice one there... That's a pretty good skill.
Make people comment na, abi na only undergrads full here?
Re: Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 28, 2014
I think i like this thread.......but i have nothing to say i just got admitted,sorry!
Re: Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by Donfamous(m): 10:20am On Aug 28, 2014
I'll come back to comment when I graduate. Just got admitted
Re: Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by simiolu1(m): 11:13am On Aug 28, 2014
Part of d essence of d thread is for people to share lessons so that others can also learn.
So if U just got admission or still an undergrad, I hope U learn from d experiences shared
Re: Lessons Learnt In The Higher Institution by Emmandu(f): 11:59am On Aug 28, 2014
1. I learnt not to always follow the crowd when u are determine to achieve a specific goal in life ....and d rest are below #my signature#

(1) (Reply)

Unilorin 2014/2015 Form Is Available On : Www.remedial.unilorin.edu.ng / Imo State University (IMSU) 2015/2016 Admission List Is Out. / The Sad Truth About Nigerias Federal Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.