Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,752 members, 7,820,590 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Can Minorities Be Racist? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can Minorities Be Racist? (12201 Views)

Not Every Somali Is Racist. / Racist Habits Die HARD / Can a Black man Be Racist Towards Fellow Blacks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

I definitely don't want to be in the same circle with a grown man who thinks people from the same race can be racist to him. Can't you discern the word "race" in "racism?" grin

Nah, a black people outside of Africa where black folks are minorities can NEVER be racist - period!

Thats interesting since I don't recall sending you an invite to join my social circle wink

It's clear you have an angst, but I'm not the one to solve it for you.

Again, my racial encounters have been from other black folks.

I think I get your issue now, you prefer that I accuse white people of being racists? grin

Sorry but I don't have to make up fairy tales on NL to stroke my ego. Some do though grin

1 Like

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
Truckpusher: I got your drift, do not misquote me .

If the word 'racism' does not apply in this context ,then I'd be more than glad to learn from you how a discriminatory attitude from a black person raised in the US or in the West all his life to another black person raised in Africa should be called or referred to.

FYI: I do not play the victim mentality-for every racist person I come across I know exactly how to treat them and put them where they belong.

Excellent.

I simply ignore them and let them wallow in their ignorance.

No one should be playing a victim mentality. Any person that assumes that probably have underlying issues that needs to be evaluated by a Psychologist.

1 Like

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Truckpusher(m): 8:21pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

It's just prejudice and it goes both ways.
If you call it simple prejudice based on the word 'race' in racism then we shouldn't be shouting racism each time these white folks starts running niggas down - it should be simply be taken as human prejudice against other humans and not the 'racism' we keep yelling.

2 Likes

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 28, 2014
_____

3 Likes

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by occam(m): 8:30pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

I think the OP is confused about what racism entails. He asserted that racism is about "superiority" and to be superior, you've to be the dominant race, with power. However, since minorities can never be the dominant race, and they lack the power to either rule, or be superior - there's absolutely no way they can be racist.

But on the flip-side - they can be bigots and and also ethnocentric.

Topic:

- BIG NO!!

Absolutely correct. Black people and other minorities need to understand that Racism equates to prejudice and power. This is the only meaning of RACISM. Anglo Saxons and other Aryan descendants have this false sense of superiority and belief

Internalized racism is the most dangerous outcome of prejudice in North America and Europe and to a large extent in African societies. Some Nigerian parents deliberately force their kids to imbibe and accept pop culture and white values. These kids do not speak local languages nor eat Nigerian dishes even though they live in Nigeria. They are fondly referred to as aje butter
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Truckpusher(m): 8:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
CityNG:

Excellent.

I simply ignore them and let them wallow in their ignorance.

No one should be playing a victim mentality. Any person that assumes that probably have underlying issues that needs to be evaluated by a Psychologist.
I walked into a bar that was being run by some Russians with some Romanian ladies working as waitresses.

One of the Romanian ladies called me and I went with smiles allover my face thinking she was calling to ask me some stupid questions about Africa which usually lands them on my bed right inside my apartment. grin
To my greatest surprise, the biitch actually called me and told me that I was so black that when I walked in through the door that she didn't even notice. grin

Omo! I just smiled and retorted.....'' Coming from someone that resides in the backyard of Europe ,I'll let it slide'' You can see her countenance changed like she just saw a ghost grin and I finally compounded her woes by buying her a drink cheesy

I hold my side you wan come dey form onyibo? dem no born you well. grin

2 Likes

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by dokia: 8:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
yes....because they are often racist to each other!!! smiley

----------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNRR_ZxVGPQ
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
Truckpusher: If you call it simple prejudice based on the word 'race' in racism then we shouldn't be shouting racism each time these white folks starts running niggas down - it should be simply be taken as human prejudice against other humans and not the 'racism' we keep yelling.

It's deeper than that. With white folks it comes with power and being the dominant race. Also, it's more or less a culture ingrained in their consciousness albeit subconsciously through white privilege and a white dominated system, based on history. Once you understand that - you'll understand why black diaspora can never be racist.

Anyway, no body can ever charge a black person in a court of law of being racist anywhere in the west...it will be thrown out of court. Bigotry and hate crime - YES. But racism - never!

We can huff and puff, but we don't have the power to be racist.
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
There are racists in every race of majority and minority. The magnitude and consequences of racism in these groups is what matters a lot. Hate is human problem. Finding solution to it is very important. That is the truth.

1 Like

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by fr3do(m): 8:47pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25: yes ,if given power ,black people are the most bigoted people, That is why i have no sympathy towards blacks in some situations sometimes . that is why God did not give black people power to dominate the earth .

you are a mad man, an orzuor!
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Truckpusher(m): 8:48pm On Aug 28, 2014
SirShymex:

It's deeper than that. With white folks it comes with power and being the dominant race. Also, it's more or less a culture ingrained in their consciousness albeit subconsciously through white privilege and a white dominated system, based on history. Once you understand that - you'll understand why black diaspora can never be racist.

Anyway, no body can ever charge a black person in a court of law of being racist anywhere in the west...it will be thrown out of court. Bigotry and hate crime - YES. But racism - never!

We can huff and puff, but we don't have the power to be racist.

You have a point too.

Whatever ,I think racism becomes racism when you make it look like racism.

Most of us have friends and colleagues that are from other races and in our cause of fraternizing and working together I've come to understood that the only time we black people take offense, is when such racist comments are coming from people we don't know but the same comments can be made by your white friends but you'll never perceive it as racism simply because you know them and they are your friends.

This is one reason I still maintain that any black person that screams racism all the time should get a psychological help asap.

In your voice.....*shalom* grin
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by occam(m): 8:48pm On Aug 28, 2014
ooshinibos: Yes ,minorities does discriminate ,but its a complex that can be explained , i have experienced it ,
people become how they are treated , i noticed this in Europe , some of the afro caribbeans are obviously racist to african migrants , and the british born asians are worst than the white racist ...it is a vicious cycle bruv , i remember a black afro caribbean commuter in london abusing a bus conductor that happenned to be an african ( obviously she was nigerian or ghana because she had tribal marks ) , the commuter shouted at the conductor , go back to ur country and all sorts of racial abuse , the oyibos in the bus could not believe it , i was shocked beyond my brain and i will never forget. i remember this more than the white racism that i have experienced in Europe . i believe if the afro carbbeans that were born in europe had never experience racism they might have not been able to dish out the same evil to fellow african migrants that show up in europe.
i will think the victims of racism will be compassionate but it nevers turns out that way ..the abused becomes the abuser most of the times .....same story amongst the afro americans and the african migrants, the tension and hate is just something else...
this racism is beyond color and its an evil mechanism designed to destroy mankind..turning a blind to it makes it worst and when this evil matures it does not discriminate .... terrorism is an off shoot of untreated racism ..and so on

This isn't racism. The persistent racial prejudice experienced in white societies has created a subtle caste system within minority groups. Sadly the prevailing perception that minorities closer to white people (in how they speak, what they eat, how they look, where they are born etc) are far more superior than their other black brethren. Some Africans and Caribbeans therefore detest each other to be seen as been closer to white people. I see this tendency all the time.
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25: yes ,if given power ,black people are the most bigoted people, That is why i have no sympathy towards blacks in some situations sometimes . that is why God did not give black people power to dominate the earth .

Do you know what I hate about many black people? Repeating the same ugly processes claiming to know what they are doing. Like upholding ancient barbaric culture and practices, those who refused to learn from their mistakes,etc. Those kind of black people are pulling back those who want change. They are the problem of 21st century black people. They are annoying!

1 Like

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Truckpusher(m): 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
all4naija:
Do you know what I hate about many black people? Repeating the same ugly processes claiming to know what they are doing. Like upholding ancient barbaric culture and practices, those who refused to learn from their mistakes,etc. Those kind of black people are pulling back those who want change. They are the problem of 21st century black people. They are annoying!
What makes you feel that some cultures are barbaric?
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by occam(m): 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2014

Rationalizing racism with your explanation is really disturbing. I don't believe you're a black person
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
Truckpusher: What makes you feel that some cultures are barbaric?
Some parts of the African (black) culture are barbaric like human rituals, dirty environment, backwardness as in not willing to advance with some kind of brute-like nature, etc.
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Truckpusher(m): 8:56pm On Aug 28, 2014
all4naija: Some parts of the African (black) culture are barbaric like human rituals,etc.
And you truly think that human rituals and sacrifice are barbaric?.....Though I do not support any form of human sacrifice.

What has dirty environment got to do with barbarism?
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
Truckpusher: You have a point too.

Whatever ,I think racism becomes racism when you make it look like racism.

Most of us have friends and colleagues that are from other races and in our cause of fraternizing and working together I've come to understood that the only time we black people take offense, is when such racist comments are coming from people we don't know but the same comments can be made by your white friends but you'll never perceive it as racism simply because you know them and they are your friends.

This is one reason I still maintain that any black person that screams racism all the time should get a psychological help asap.

In your voice.....*shalom* grin

Obviously, those who scream racism all the time are mentally sick because once you start making every little thing about race, then it's going to become redundant. However, that doesn't negate the white dominance, the subconscious/conscious white privilege, and a dominant culture that sees minorities especially blacks as being inferior. But once you've lived through it - it definitely won't bother you one bit. It's just part of life and life isn't fair.

With white friends, a lot of them say the most offensive racist things sometimes without actually knowing it. But you just have to overlook it cos of the friendship.

Anyway, it's deeper than rap, and the higher up you move in life - the clearer everything is going to become to you.
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by 19naia(m): 8:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
A lot of racist will try to make themselves feel better by blaming their victims for racism when its a resentment towards the racist treatment..
People can often confuse resentment for other issues ,as racism.. If a white person resents a black person, its not always racism.. If a black person resents a racist white person, it doesn't mean the black person resents the white person for being white,just for being hateful and degrading to others...

Culture includes laws and religion and it creates problems when some cultures religions and laws are different from others like the world being really resentful of the harsh ways of terrorist claiming to be of a particular religion and that religions set of harsh laws...

When its all added up, there is racism every where and the one most guilty of it is the one most successful at it and you will see them with vast empires stolen from other races who they exterminated and despised.. South Africa, the americas, Australia and more... And it just so happens the europeans have been the ones most Voracious at racism to the extent of traversing the world to overtake all other races lands, freedom and sense of dignity....

There are people i don't feel easy with because of their ways, but i wont feel bad of myself if i am not a willing beneficiary of their stolen heritage.. You can say a person is a willing beneficiary of a persons stolen heritage when for instance you are a white person in south africa who is striving to succeed in that country, to own land and control substantial commercial empire ,all while resenting the presence of black people there speaking their own language and emulating their own culture.... I am happy to say that there are many white americans and australians and south africans who support the cause of the Natives in their own land.. But its sad to say there are still so many white people who want to see the end of any body of non european culture in their way...

Its simple, if I am so much better than other peoples, why do i need all their lands and resources and their petty labour to survive? If i was so much better than them, i could have stayed at my origins and been a mighty beacon radiating out over them with no need of their lands and labour....

The truth is that Europe was sick in its own culture, politics,religion and knowledgeability when people left there to take over the extensive world and teach them new religion, politics, culture and knowledge.... Now the least of our problems is racism, it is the earth ecology and environment in decay under the stress of modern development ways... We will all be lucky to gain the blessing of a miracle to survive our own doings to the delicate earths balance... The day will come when people will give anything to be a simple bush man with a healthy earth planet to live on with air and water that is not poisoned; and a climate that is stable and safe without the disruption from man made emissions from so called modern development... Already the damage to earth is adding up to cost more than the profits and much damage is disrupting the earning of profit when commerce is destroyed by extreme weather and other earth movements...
Racism is the least of our worries on earth now..

1 Like

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
Truckpusher: And you truly think that human rituals and sacrifice are barbaric?.....Though I do not support any form of human sacrifice.
Okay! You just proved me right that you are among those pulling back black people from advancing. Jeez! You could arguably justify human rituals as not a barbaric practice. Smh...
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
Truckpusher:

What has dirty environment got to do with barbarism?
Barbarians were known to cherish their squalid condition. Yes, it is barbarism to choose to live in a dirty environment. Organized people won't.
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by fr3do(m): 9:07pm On Aug 28, 2014
The cry for racial equality fuels white supremacy in the hearts of people, black and white. They subconciously feel they are being deceived to thinking white is not superior, this is because racial equality as it is today tends to bring white 'down' to the 'level' of black.

If an awareness of black supremacy is created, backed up by historical facts, racism worldwide will decrease, this is analogous to the physics phenomenom, destructive interference. Not only will black supremacy curb racism, it will also reduce the number of self hating black men like badboy25 and indirectly cause development.

I trust Ghana on this one.
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
____
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
____

1 Like

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
If by minority you mean non-white, then a big FAT yes.

What do you call the Somali/East African trolls that prance around forums calling West/Central Africans "Bantu" (as an insult), Jareer, Nigger, and slave because of our facial features?

What do you even call factions of Africans who see themselves as superior to other African groups because they were historically more civilized (supposedly)? The Black Africans who aided and abetted the trans-saharan slave trade in countries like Sudan, Nigeria, etc, because they felt superior to the victimized tribes?

What about the blatant discrimination of black African pygmies by their taller counterparts in countries like the Congo?

What about the Chinese, Lebanese, Indians who treat Africans like trash both in their home countries and in Africa pa pa?

Or the Black Americans who deride Africans and take offense to being told they look African?

Are we talking about the Arabs, Israelis, Persians and other Semitic groups who have victimized lesser groups over the centuries? The Indonesians who enslave natives in Papua New Guinea? The Japanese who adapt neo-Nazi ideals by looking down on (supposedly) lesser Asian groups.

Everybody on earth has a capacity to be racist in the raw, traditionalist sense....even to members of their own "racial groups." Even now they institutionalize this in smaller dosages in various countries the world over.

Europeans just happen to be the top of the food chain and rulers of a Global empire, so naturally the races in the lower echelon of the pyramid harbor resentment towards whites who are more on the privileged side of things than not aka official racists.

Whereas the backyard of non-whites stinks of the same type of feces. grin

1 Like

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Truckpusher(m): 9:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
all4naija:
Okay! You just proved me right that you are among those pulling back black people from advancing. Jeez! You could arguably justify human rituals as not a barbaric practice. Smh...
Yes ,if that is your definition of backwardness.

In the year 1897 the British carried out what they called punitive expedition to the ancient Benin empire to dislodge the Oba and his kingdom under the pretense of getting rid of the ancient Kingdom of human sacrifice practice and in carrying out this supposedly a life saving expedition more men were committed and the casualties on both sides were high especially on the Oba's side - The question is in trying to change that ideology thousands of people perished so What human sacrifice is greater? .

Wasn't the annual rituals of the Oba a better one than the senseless waste of lives and destruction of another civilization just to further trade routes down South and capture the Southern hinterland of present day Nigeria to usher in colonization?

In 2003 George W Bush jnr Said he was invading Iraq to get rid of weapon of mass destruction and give the Iraqis democracy where human right would be guaranteed but again what happened and what is happening right now is just so appalling.....In doing this thousands of American soldiers lost their lives and millions of Iraqis are dying till this very moment so who is fooling who?

Wouldn't it have been better that Saddam is alive today and dictating over them? undecided

What I'm trying to say to you is to pull your head out from the asss of the West.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
_____
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by fr3do(m): 9:22pm On Aug 28, 2014
all4naija: Some parts of the African (black) culture are barbaric like human rituals, dirty environment, backwardness as in not willing to advance with some kind of brute-like nature, etc.

the crusades is barbarism.
colonialism is barbarism.
Outright beastiiality and homosexuality is barbarism.
Fascism is barbarism.
Refuting polygamy is barbarism.

It will be barbaric for only a people to decide what is barbaric for others.
Dont you think?
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 28, 2014
all4naija: There are racists in every race of majority and minority. The magnitude and consequences of racism in these groups is what matters a lot. Hate is human problem. Finding solution to it is very important. That is the truth.

You are receiving a lot of hate on this thread but this quote is the realest there ever was.
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 28, 2014
fr3do:

the crusades is barbarism.
colonialism is barbarism.
Outright beastiiality and homosexuality is barbarism.
Fascism is barbarism.
Refuting polygamy is barbarism.

It will be barbaric for only a people to decide what is barbaric for others.
Dont you think?
Those are no longer practiced in the West! You should know when to make your points valid. Refusing polygamy is not. Jeez!
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by fr3do(m): 9:36pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25: you are laughable . why dont you take your belongings and get the fvck out of whatever first world nation you reside in and move back to your third world shiithole and practice your supremacy there ?
If I were in the position of power , you should be stripped off your citizenship and deported back to your third world shiithole . I don't have time for whiners, I just let my feelings flow.

on the contrary.
I'm in my beloved country, Nigeria precisely in the ancient city of Benin.
With the way I'm going with my mentality, I might never leave Nigeria for more than a month.
I would carve out my niche and live the life that I desire here.
Re: Can Minorities Be Racist? by fr3do(m): 9:40pm On Aug 28, 2014
all4naija:
Those are no longer practiced in the West! You should know when to make your points valid. Refusing polygamy is not. Jeez!

we can as well as tag the extreme repulsion to polygamy as barbaric. Are we not capable of objectivity?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yoruba Astrology & Their Western Equivalency / Project Tour Nigeria Launched In Abuja (Photos) / I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.