Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,916 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:06 PM

How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist (1740 Views)

Renouncing My Christian Faith / The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / Questions For Logic1 (if You Have Doubts Concerning The Christian Faith) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by TheBigUrban2: 9:15am On Aug 29, 2014
Please, read this story

Mr. Naijaatheist:
I usually sigh when people mention God as the reason for doing something. Yes, I am an atheist and I do not believe in God.
However, I want to tell you about a woman whose faith made me have hope for humanity. You see, in Nigeria, we have very few places that can care for the educational needs for special needs (blind, down syndrome etc) children. However, there is this place in Nigeria where such children are given the adequate schooling they need.

This centre for special needs children is managed by a woman who is a devout christian. I was chanced to meet her when a friend who is a parent of a special child asked me to drop him at the centre. The woman welcomed us both into the centre and then shared a meal with us. The woman then took us on a tour. She explained that some parents can not afford to pay for the services but she still accepts some children in for free. She showed us how they use special classes with objects and games because visual learning is the best way for the children to learn.

The most interesting thing about the centre is that the woman accepts all children- christian, muslim, pagan. The woman even explained that she hates it when people maltreat disabled children. There was even a child who came from a shrine- the child was used in the shrine to scare people from not obeying the herbalist. Can you imagine? The herbalist was using the child to say "if you disobey my instructions, my juju will cripple you!"
Yet, this woman still took the child in and still maintains a cordial relationship with the parents (who are pagans). The parents were reluctant at first but she showed how many special needs children actually make progress from her centre.

This woman is a devout christian who spent her wealth helping young children. She doesnt ask what religion a person is from, all she asks is how she can help. Even though I do not believe that God is working through her as she claims, I can see good in her. I wish all christians could be like this woman.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 29, 2014
Acts of love and human kindness are everywhere.

1 Like

Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by hungryboy(m): 9:22am On Aug 29, 2014
Touching
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by chaplin4u: 10:00am On Aug 29, 2014
I am touched by the story. But on another note, have you done a personal seeking about the existence of God? You might just be amazed about what you might discover. Knowledge liberates.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by PastorOluT(m): 10:26am On Aug 29, 2014
@Logicboy, Many Christians live (the life Christ) like that, in fact it is her faith that makes her do that.

Have u for ones study the life of Christ in the bible? Forget whatever any so called Christians might be portraying.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by TheBigUrban2: 10:42am On Aug 29, 2014
PastorOluT: @Logicboy, Many Christians live (the life Christ) like that, in fact it is her faith that makes her do that.

Have u for ones study the life of Christ in the bible? Forget whatever any so called Christians might be portraying.

Very few christians are truly good.

2 Likes

Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by PastorOluT(m): 1:14pm On Aug 29, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Very few christians are truly good.

Not totally true, bt even if its so, this doesn't change the fact that this is what Jesus teaches n made His life as example for us to follow.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:40pm On Aug 29, 2014
This is the kind of story that makes me despair for humanity.

In the animal kingdom, there are no disabled beings. If you are inadequate, you terminate and life goes on. If humans continue on this trend of nurturing inadequateness, the monkeys will actually take over one day.

Don't play with evolution. It's real.

1 Like

Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 29, 2014
If only Christians were more like this and less like Ola.Adegbu

2 Likes

Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by TheBigUrban2: 1:59pm On Aug 29, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: This is the kind of story that makes me despair for humanity.

In the animal kingdom, there are no disabled beings. If you are inadequate, you terminate and life goes on. If humans continue on this trend of nurturing inadequateness, the monkeys will actually take over one day.

Hitler believed the same nonsense you just said.

Freaking satanist
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by TheBigUrban2: 2:00pm On Aug 29, 2014
Apatheist: If only Christians were more like this and less like Ola.Adegbu

Ola.adegbu, our resident evangelist creationist grin grin grin
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Hitler believed the same nonsense you just said.

Freaking satanist

No he didn't. He wanted to intervene with nature which is exactly what that woman is doing.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by frank317: 2:49pm On Aug 29, 2014
PastorOluT: @Logicboy, Many Christians live (the life Christ) like that, in fact it is her faith that makes her do that.

i dont believe you, i dont want to see you as a lair. but the fact is that so many Christians not do act like this woman. there is no denying that fact the living such a life is part of the christian teachings. but how realistic are they.

The problem with Christianity and many other religions is that they preach love and care for humanity and still counter it, making it difficult to be achieved. Yes, how can love for humanity be achieved when, religious teachings comes with threats (earthly and eternal punishments), calling of unbelivers fools, claiming superiority of belief, asking one not to be equally yoked with unbelievers, making them believe he/she is specially loved by the same God who created every human, thinking he/she is alive and healthy because God loves him more than the dead or sick or because he is sinless (however that is possible, i dont know).

most religions unconsciously promotes selfishness, segregation, self righteousness, harmful superiority complex, hipocricy, deception, forced kindness and projected self hatred.

the fact is that any christian who is able to achieve what the woman above achieve actually took some bold steps away from in-dept religious teachings. Its takes one's personality and learning to achieve love for humanity and not religion or relationship with Christ.

4 Likes

Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by TheBigUrban2: 3:18pm On Aug 29, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

No he didn't. He wanted to intervene with nature which is exactly what that woman is doing.

Hitler wanted to eliminate disabled people
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by AlfaSeltzer(m): 3:21pm On Aug 29, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Hitler wanted to eliminate disabled people

Exactly!

Humans shouldn't intervene with nature.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by TheBigUrban2: 3:26pm On Aug 29, 2014
frank317:

i dont believe you, i dont want to see you as a lair. but the fact is that so many Christians not do act like this woman. there is no denying that fact the living such a life is part of the christian teachings. but how realistic are they.

The problem with Christianity and many other religions is that they preach love and care for humanity and still counter it, making it difficult to be achieved. Yes, how can love for humanity be achieved when, religious teachings comes with threats (earthly and eternal punishments), calling of unbelivers fools, claiming superiority of belief, asking one not to be equally yoked with unbelievers, making them believe he/she is specially loved by the same God who created every human, thinking he/she is alive and healthy because God loves him more than the dead or sick or because he is sinless (however that is possible, i dont know).

most religions unconsciously promotes selfishness, segregation, self righteousness, harmful superiority complex, hipocricy, deception, forced kindness and projected self hatred.

the fact is that any christian who is able to achieve what the woman above achieve actually took some bold steps away from in-dept religious teachings. Its takes one's personality and learning to achieve love for humanity and not religion or relationship with Christ.

my sentiments exactly.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by PastorOluT(m): 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2014
frank317:

Smile, I see u as one intelligent dude bt sometimes because of ur hate u say say unreasonable things. How does the lives of other people affect the teachings? The teachings and the life of Jesus Christ is not short of the kind of love the woman portrays, so ow am i a liar?

Or can u argue that the live and teachings of Jesus negates what the woman is doing? Even the woman herself testify that it is through Christ she was able to do all that.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by plaetton: 7:02pm On Aug 29, 2014

With all due respect, I beg to disagree.
Religion and faith doesn't and has never changed the inner character of any person.
Intact, religious faith is more likely to change one's character for worse, because faith requires the separation and demonization of others of other faiths.

This woman in any question is good because her inner character is good. Simple.
Her being a christian, or anchoring her faith in the Christian religion is only incidental.

She, like many religious people, wears her religion to mask or showcase the quality of her inner self.

Human beings have a small tendency to be good, irrespective of what they believe.

2 Likes

Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by kuss: 7:04pm On Aug 29, 2014
my church is currently running special tutorial classes for primary and secondary schools and it is free
both muslims and Christian children attend theses classes together
churches ar e doing alot for the society but you will not get to hear because they are not blowing the trumpet.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by frank317: 7:08pm On Aug 29, 2014
PastorOluT:

Smile, I see u as one intelligent dude bt sometimes because of ur hate u say say unreasonable things. How does the lives of other people affect the teachings? The teachings and the life of Jesus Christ is not short of the kind of love the woman portrays, so ow am i a liar?

Or can u argue that the live and teachings of Jesus negates what the woman is doing? Even the woman herself testify that it is through Christ she was able to do all that.

Of course the life of people is a reflextion of the teachings in their religous beliefs. Take muslims for instance, do you think their life style reflects their teachings? Trust me, a muslim will tell you that qoran preaches love for humanity (in fact they call it a religion of peace) but like I said there are indept and salient teachings that contradicts the whole whole preaching of love for humanity and so it is with christianity.

Besides, are the teaching of treats of hell, calling unbelivers fool, asking chirstians not to be equally yoked with unbelievers, making christians think they are more special people, not biblical teachings? Am I getting some things wrong?
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by Liveair: 9:04pm On Aug 29, 2014
Apatheist: If only Christians were more like this and less like Ola.Adegbu

Yeah, OlaAdegbu, PastorOluT and image123.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 29, 2014
PastorOluT:
Even the woman herself testify that it is through Christ she was able to do all that.
Question, please answer honestly
If the woman was pagan and said it was through [insert indigenous god] that she was able to do it, would you still have said this:
PastorOluT:
@Logicboy, Many Christians live (the life Christ) like that, in fact it is her faith that makes her do that.
Have u for once study the life of Christ in the bible? Forget whatever any so called Christians might be portraying.
?
Would you have said it was because of her faith in [insert indigenous god]?
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by PastorOluT(m): 7:37am On Aug 30, 2014
Apatheist:
Question, please answer honestly
If the woman was pagan and said it was through [insert indigenous god] that she was able to do it, would you still have said this:
?
Would you have said it was because of her faith in [insert indigenous god]?

Yes 'cos she is the one expressing the virtue n hold the claim, we never knew her life prior to when she starts being good (or don't u know faith changes someone, I am a living witness).

But the truth remains, how many people have claimed to be changed by these gods?
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by PastorOluT(m): 7:42am On Aug 30, 2014
frank317:

Of course the life of people is a reflextion of the teachings in their religous beliefs. Take muslims for instance, do you think their life style reflects their teachings? Trust me, a muslim will tell you that qoran preaches love for humanity (in fact they call it a religion of peace) but like I said there are indept and salient teachings that contradicts the whole whole preaching of love for humanity and so it is with christianity.

Besides, are the teaching of treats of hell, calling unbelivers fool, asking chirstians not to be equally yoked with unbelievers, making christians think they are more special people, not biblical teachings? Am I getting some things wrong?

So u have never read to live peaceably with all including unbeliever even as u are not unequally yoked with them? Being of unequal never mean hate, it simply means don't think, do, or copy their lifestyles. In fact the bible teaches winning them over by love.

And teaching of Hell is just saying the obvious, so people only get offended 'cos they know with their lifestyle they are condemned.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 30, 2014
PastorOluT:

Yes 'cos she is the one expressing the virtue n hold the claim, we never knew her life prior to when she starts being good (or don't u know faith changes someone, I am a living witness).
If she said it was her faith in Amadioha, or Sango, you'd agree?

But the truth remains, how many people have claimed to be changed by these gods?
A lot, sir.
You just don't know about them.
Muslims have claimed to be changed by Allah, just as Christians have claimed to be changed by Jesus.

Also, you believe in hell, correct?
You believe that your loving god will send people of other religions-- except the Jews of course-- to eternal perdition because they do not believe in Jesus no matter how "good" they are?
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by PastorOluT(m): 7:49am On Aug 30, 2014
plaetton:

With all due respect, I beg to disagree.
Religion and faith doesn't and has never changed the inner character of any person.
Intact, religious faith is more likely to change one's character for worse, because faith requires the separation and demonization of others of other faiths.

This woman in any question is good because her inner character is good. Simple.
Her being a christian, or anchoring her faith in the Christian religion is only incidental.

She, like many religious people, wears her religion to mask or showcase the quality of her inner self.

Human beings have a small tendency to be good, irrespective of what they believe.

This is very funny I tell u, u disagree?

She said it herself that it was through her faith she could accomplish all that n u disagree with her, I want to belive she knows herself better than anyone else. It is either u agree with what she does which is the expression of her faith or not.

Haven't u heard of people that their lives changed drastically as a result of encountering Christ (well I am one of them). Though everyone has some good in him, bt hey, no one turn saint over night that can only come from an encounter.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by PastorOluT(m): 8:06am On Aug 30, 2014
Apatheist: If she said it was her faith in Amadioha, or Sango, you'd agree?

A lot, sir.
You just don't know about them.
Muslims have claimed to be changed by Allah, just as Christians have claimed to be changed by Jesus.

Also, you believe in hell, correct?
You believe that your loving god will send people of other religions-- except the Jews of course-- to eternal perdition because they do not believe in Jesus no matter how "good" they are?

U said if 'she said', that means she was the one that said it so it is left to her. Now it is something to make a statement, and it is another thing to be saying the truth. So if she claim that n her teachings agreed with what she said, then why not? Bt the truth is does their teachings agree with these virtues?
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by Nobody: 8:24am On Aug 30, 2014
PastorOluT:

U said if 'she said', that means she was the one that said it so it is left to her. Now it is something to make a statement, and it is another thing to be saying the truth.
Exactly. Funny you didn't say this because she was Christian.
So if she claim that n her teachings agreed with what she said, then why not? Bt the truth is does their teachings agree with these virtues?
Shouldn't I be asking you? Does your Christian teaching agree with what she said?
I'd say if she was pagan that it agrees.
Before the Europeans came with Christianity, haven't our ancestors been doing "good"?
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by malvisguy212: 8:28am On Aug 30, 2014
frank317:

the fact that a christian woman acts like that means that there may be more women who can show more love,or is the woman 100% perfect?
This is the fact:she's a christian, she study the life style of jesus,that is were her character comes from,truly there has to be few people who will act more than her.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by Orunto: 8:44am On Aug 30, 2014
OUR SAME GOD IS USING, that is, INSTRUCTING, DIRECTING AND DISCERNING YOU AND THE WOMAN.
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by LordReed(m): 10:56am On Aug 30, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: This is the kind of story that makes me despair for humanity.

If per chance you have a disabled or special needs child what will you do with him/her?
Re: How A Christian's Faith Shook An Atheist by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:34pm On Aug 30, 2014
LordReed:

If per chance you have a disabled or special needs child what will you do with him/her?

Definitely not abandon him to a mad woman to use for money begging.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tithing Is For Your Own Good.are You Not Tired Of Problems...................... / Seed Of Destiny Daily Devotional By Pastor Paul Eneche 21 JULY 2015 / Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.