Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,209 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? (2759 Views)

Fuel Is N120 Per Litre In Lagos Petrol Stations / How Efficient Is This Fuel Economy Product, Xtreme Fuel Treatment (XFT)? / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by nairacountry(m): 9:48am On Aug 29, 2014
Please gurus in the house, I really want to know if my car fuel economy is okay or not. If not, wat/how can I ameliorate this? Thanks
Summary: 1998 Honda Accord (Baby boy) V6 3.0L engine; gulped 49.5L of fuel in a distance of 705miles/kilometers over a period of 5days within (intra) town driving. Is this efficiency?

Story: I filled my tank on Monday 25/08/14 with a sum of #5,000 with the car mileage on 204,798. (my tank is somewat small coz my Halla would hv required more than 5k to fill d tank or my Benz would hv needed nothing less than 7.5k to fill its tank)
Then I engaged the car on normal town usage of home to office to running normal daily errand blahblah. Then by Friday 29/08/14 I re-filled the tank with #4,800 with the car mileage on 205,053. The difference in mileage is 705miles (OR kilometer?) at a fuel of 49.5litres; wich is the fuel bought on Fri to bring the tank to its state.
NB: AC moderately used withing d period under review; put at 1/4 of d whole mileage covered.
Thanks all as u contribute.
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by nairacountry(m): 9:50am On Aug 29, 2014
The car engine

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by bdek(m): 10:17am On Aug 29, 2014
your odometer calculation is not correct, how can u do that with 3.0 liter v6 ,you must be joking , i am correctly using the 2001 v6 model of this car and it has Automatic Horse Power 200 hp @ 5500 rpm ,Fuel Economy 18 city /26 highway MPG. and 99 model like urs is the same .let me help you with the calculation ,,,205,053-204,798=255miles i believe the full tank size of that car is 60 liters with reserve ,if i based on that when u refilled back with 4800 meaning you have consumed 49.4 liters of petrol, now convert that to gallon because gallon is what US used in calculating MPG 49.4 liters =13.0501 gallons

therefore my friend ur MPG is 255/13.0501=19.54 thats your car MPG which fall to specification for your type of car, if you like to know toyota do 45-50mpg ,more fuel economy that this.

1 Like

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by chillex8(m): 10:19am On Aug 29, 2014
Your car consumed 49.5liters in 255 miles.

This should approximate to 49.5 liters in 380kms ...

76kms for every 10 litres of gasoline

P.S
Your car's odometer reads in miles not kilometers

1km = 0.67 miles

1 Gallon [Fluid, US] = 3.7854118 Liters

1 Gallon [UK] = 4.54609 Liters

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by nairacountry(m): 10:29am On Aug 29, 2014
@bdek, wat I narrated above are my findings with my car.
"255/13.0501=19.54 thats your car MPG which fall to specification for your type of car, if you like to know toyota do 45-50mpg ,more fuel economy that this"
Pls explain in simpler terms d quotes. Thank you sir.
@ chillex8, I recorded 705miles not 255miles sir. Tanx for d 'odometre calculation' correction
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by Stylz69(m): 11:10am On Aug 29, 2014
Dear OP,
First and foremost, you need to be sure of your unit of measurement. Is it miles or Kilometers? A mile is 1.609km so you cannot use them interchangeably. To find out what your car uses, look at your speedometer; what is the major unit (the outer numbers on the dial)? That will tell you easily if your odometer is in miles or km. If i should go by your claims that you covered 705 miles which is about 1134Km with 49.5 litres of fuel, that comes to 22.9km/litre (about 53mpg) ....which i must say is err...extremely efficient for your car. So lets say that it isn't 705 miles but 705 km, now that will be 14 km/l (about 33mpg)... that is possible but not doing intra-city driving. So going by your information, Yes your car is fuel efficient but that is going by your information and assuming my calculations are correct.
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:18am On Aug 29, 2014
Weather miles or kilometers your calculation is not possible in ctiy driving.
Please recalculate.
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by nairacountry(m): 1:40pm On Aug 29, 2014
I'm sincerely sorry. D difference is actually 255miles! 205053 less 204798.
@ stylz67, d major unit is miles. Tanx
My oga Gazzuzz and all, once again I'm sorry for given a wrong info earlier. It wasn't intended.
Now back to the question, can 255miles on 49.5liters of fuel be said to be efficient enough? If not, wat need I do? Thanks

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:08pm On Aug 29, 2014
433km on a 50liter tank is very good on a V6 doing city driving.

1 Like

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by chillex8(m): 3:17pm On Aug 29, 2014
I once had an odyssey 01 which I thought was consuming gasoline due to my regular city driving and what not..

I was doing 25-40miles on 10liters..

I decided to confirm my curiosity by driving to Umuahia from lagos..

I had calculated the expected distance-444miles on google map..

I reset my trip computer to 0000miles

I bought gasoline of 81 liters and started my journey @ 04:00 am.

I didn't stop over for re-fueling , just few police check-points..

When I got to my house in umuahia, I checked fuel guage wch was reading empty..

Total distance covered was 490miles..

I drove around in the village for anoda 11 miles before my tank went dry..

In essence, I did 501 miles on 81liters of gasoline..

I was impressed cos I was getting my factory mpg ..

P.S
Engine size- 3.5l SOHC VTEC v6
Air condition was off throughtout the journey, but I wound up most of the time.

Now to your question, I think your car is economical for a v6 doing city driving ..

But if you have a cel light on, run a scan to avoid doubts

Cheers

1 Like

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by nairacountry(m): 4:37pm On Aug 29, 2014
I'm happy to know my baby boy isn't doing bad
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by bdek(m): 7:36pm On Aug 31, 2014
Clear simple logic ,who cares anyway
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 31, 2014
bdek: Clear simple logic ,who cares anyway

In a country like Nigeria, where choosing an automobile is based more on gas mileage than anything else, I would say the majority of posters and viewers care. Since you apparently don't care, I wonder why you even clicked on this thread - the title was clear enough.

Speak for yourself.

3 Likes

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by adanny01(m): 11:17pm On Aug 31, 2014
nairacountry: I'm sincerely sorry. D difference is actually 255miles! 205053 less 204798.
@ stylz67, d major unit is miles. Tanx
My oga Gazzuzz and all, once again I'm sorry for given a wrong info earlier. It wasn't intended.
Now back to the question, can 255miles on 49.5liters of fuel be said to be efficient enough? If not, wat need I do? Thanks

From the attachement, you see range in miles

1 Like

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Aug 31, 2014
chillex8: I once had an odyssey 01 which I thought was consuming gasoline due to my regular city driving and what not..

I was doing 25-40miles on 10liters..

I decided to confirm my curiosity by driving to Umuahia from lagos..

I had calculated the expected distance-444miles on google map..

I reset my trip computer to 0000miles

I bought gasoline of 81 liters and started my journey @ 04:00 am.

I didn't stop over for re-fueling , just few police check-points..

When I got to my house in umuahia, I checked fuel guage wch was reading empty..

Total distance covered was 490miles..

I drove around in the village for anoda 11 miles before my tank went dry..

In essence, I did 501 miles on 81liters of gasoline..

I was impressed cos I was getting my factory mpg ..

P.S
Engine size- 3.5l SOHC VTEC v6
Air condition was off throughtout the journey, but I wound up most of the time.

Now to your question, I think your car is economical for a v6 doing city driving ..

But if you have a cel light on, run a scan to avoid doubts

Cheers

Your tank is 75.7Litres or 20 Gal.
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by chillex8(m): 5:51am On Sep 01, 2014
lomomike:

Your tank is 75.7Litres or 20 Gal.

That's the factory specs..

I fill my tank with 115 liters of gasoline.

Not once, more times than I can count.

Check out honda odyssey forums and see how much more gasoline the tank takes in.
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by Nobody: 6:56am On Sep 01, 2014
chillex8:

That's the factory specs..

I fill my tank with 115 liters of gasoline.

Not once, more times than I can count.

Check out honda odyssey forums and see how much more gasoline the tank takes in.

This is how I know toyota fuel tanks are full. Usually I don't let my fuel drop below half tank. Once I get to a fuel station, I tell the attendant to fill up the tank BUT once the nozzle clip clicks and stop dispensing, he/she should take out the nozzle. When I go and start the car, the needle goes to 'F' mark. And its 75litres. I don't let anyone force more fuel into my tank because it will escape into the EVAP charcoal canister and might start up a 'check engine' light, replacement of EVAP charcoal can is expensive in toyota.

1 Like

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by bdek(m): 7:54am On Sep 01, 2014
Siena:

In a country like Nigeria, where choosing an automobile is based more on gas mileage than anything else, I would say the majority of posters and viewers care. Since you apparently don't care, I wonder why you even clicked on this thread - the title was clear enough.

Speak for yourself.
@ siena i respect ur view.nothing personal

1 Like

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by chillex8(m): 8:25am On Sep 01, 2014
lomomike:

This is how I know toyota fuel tanks are full. Usually I don't let my fuel drop below half tank. Once I get to a fuel station, I tell the attendant to fill up the tank BUT once the nozzle clip clicks and stop dispensing, he/she should take out the nozzle. When I go and start the car, the needle goes to 'F' mark. And its 75litres. I don't let anyone force more fuel into my tank because it will escape into the EVAP charcoal canister and might start up a 'check engine' light, replacement of EVAP charcoal can is expensive in toyota.

The nozzle clicks @ 108-110litres..
Takes in additional 5-7litres until fuel is dripping out..

Note that, even @ 80litres, my guage reads full tank.

But with 115litres of full tank, I will do city driving of 100miles or more, before the guage moves below.
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 01, 2014
chillex8:

The nozzle clicks @ 108-110litres..
Takes in additional 5-7litres until fuel is dripping out..

Note that, even @ 80litres, my guage reads full tank.

But with 115litres of full tank, I will do city driving of 100miles or more, before the guage moves below.

Well, I've never owned a Honda neither have I taken time to study their system, but Toyota is sensitive to clicks on the nozzle, any attempt to force fuel after click will produce froth and if this gets into a small circular hole and run into the evap system, you'd get check engine light come on. Ever wondered why most peoples toyota have check engine light on?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by nairacountry(m): 11:17am On Sep 01, 2014
lomomike:
Well, I've never owned a Honda neither have I taken time to study their system, but Toyota is sensitive to clicks on the nozzle, any attempt to force fuel after click will produce froth and if this gets into a small circular hole and run into the evap system, you'd get check engine light come on. Ever wondered why most peoples toyota have check engine light on?
Is this a guess work?
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 01, 2014
nairacountry:
Is this a guess work?

Meaning?
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by nairacountry(m): 2:56pm On Sep 01, 2014
"....but Toyota is sensitive to clicks on the nozzle, any attempt to force fuel after click will produce froth and if this gets into a small circular hole and run into the evap system, you'd get check engine light come on...."

As per d above quoted. How true is it?
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by 9icetoo(m): 4:30pm On Sep 01, 2014
The quote is mostly true. After the click from the dispensing nozzle, it is still possible to put in about 4 to 8 litres of fuel into the fuel tank depending on the tanks configuration. In most toyota cars equipped with the EVAP system, this isnt too good for the system. The EVAP system is meant to suck in fuel fumes and maintain the internal pressure in the fuel tank at a predetermined value. it was designed to handle vapour and not liquid. When u overfill ur tank and fuel gets into the EVAP system, it might (often does) damage the system and render ur EVAP system ineffective. it will not affect the normal operation of the car though and you will have no issues but it will turn on your MIL or CEL light. When ur evap system is bust, u might notice a swoosh kinda sound as fuel fumes forces itself out of ur tank when u open ur tank on a hot day or after a really long drive.
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
nairacountry: "....but Toyota is sensitive to clicks on the nozzle, any attempt to force fuel after click will produce froth and if this gets into a small circular hole and run into the evap system, you'd get check engine light come on...."

As per d above quoted. How true is it?

Wanna know how true it is? Get a toyota 2003MY and above, dispense excessive fuel and ensure it gets thru that pressure control hole. When you do this, drive and check your instrument cluster, call me to tell me "Lomomike, my dashboard is now lit up like a christmas tree". lol!
Re: I Covered 255miles With 49.5litres Of Fuel. Is that efficient enough? by inze(m): 7:05pm On Sep 01, 2014
lomomike:

Wanna know how true it is? Get a toyota 2003MY and above, dispense excessive fuel and ensure it gets thru that pressure control hole. When you do this, drive and check your instrument cluster, call me to tell me "Lomomike, my dashboard is now lit up like a christmas tree". lol!

grin

(1) (Reply)

Honda Accord 2011 Engine Issue / What Is The Cost Of A Front Bumper On A Honda Accord 2005. . / Please Help me. My 1999 Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke and Consuming Fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.