Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,928 members, 7,952,735 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:33 PM

Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) (51449 Views)

Graphic Photos From The Boat Mishap In Lagos This Morning / Boat Mishap Kills Scores In Bonny River / Accident At Sangotedo, Ajah In Lagos This Afternoon (viewers Discretion Advised) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Orikinla(m): 8:59pm On Aug 29, 2014
Look beautiful precious lives wasted again due to the greed of evil people from the Niger Delta.

Evil and greedy owners of private boats have frustrated the plans of the state government to build a bridge to connect Port Harcourt and Bonny Island.
The solution is for the state government to buy modern ferries and hovercrafts to replace the boats of these evil and wicked people in Rivers State.
They prefer to misappropriate the billions of dollars allocated to them instead of using them to provide services to protect and secure the lives of their fellow citizens.
They don't care about human lives, because most of them are cultists.

I have never seen people so evil and wicked to their fellow humans in the same country.

This is not the first time, even the Nigeria LNG lost some members of staff some years ago when they took a local boat after missing the Nigeria LNG ferry.

The Nigeria LNG Limited and Multinational companies in the host communities should provide modern ferries and hovercrafts for safe marine transport in the creeks and rivers of the Niger Delta states in Nigeria.

1 Share

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by 3kay945(m): 9:00pm On Aug 29, 2014
kel4soft:

My elder brother's wife can even stay under water for close to 2hours. Most times, people that lost their lives in some of these boat mishap are very good swimmers. I remember a year I was supposed to return from my town (not village) when we heard of boat mishap and the causalities were very good in water.

Did you say someone stay under water for close to 2hrs undecided

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by rattlesnake(m): 9:04pm On Aug 29, 2014
osjoshua:
your Mind:TIME TO SACRIFICE SOME FRESH BLOOD
my Mind:what a debased mind(no offence)
sharrap
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 29, 2014
These life jackets are fake sef!!
I remember the one my office provided when we were touring the SS on a survey!! The boat driver that took us to Brass told us that if anything happens, we'll all drown cos we had on cheap/fake jackets!!

RIP to the dead! My journey from Yenagoa-Brass-Nembe and their environs was the scariest!! Even scarier than my sojourn in the North!
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Daddyzee: 9:06pm On Aug 29, 2014
kel4soft:

Life jacket work depending on the current of the water the jacket is been usel, the essence of life jacket is to suspend you for the time been when there is an accident pending when you will have rescue operatives. Bonny water especially this Peterside area is something else, the wave there can scare the hell out of someone. I won't be surprise if some of those victims died as a result of fear.

Life jackets indeed work, but the usage depends on the type of boat (open boat or enclosed)

In the case of open boats, which I recommend, you must wear your life vests. In case of mishaps, you are thrown into the water and the vest suspends you until rescue comes. It could actually suspend you for days. For Bonny area, help usually comes in minutes. (Avoid night travels)

For closed boats however, if there is a mishap, you are not thrown into the sea. You are rather confined inside the boat and the vests will make it impossible for you to swim out!!! You will therefore be trapped. This was what happened in the unfortunate accident this morning. The boat drivers do not help matters as they also overload the boats, blocking the isles with seats. This will multiply the chances of not being able to come out as many passengers will struggle within that confined space. The survivors are usually those near the entrance.

Safety tips
1. Use open boats and wear life vests for the duration of the journey.
2. If closed boats is the only option, do not wear life vest inside the boat. Stay as near the entrance as possible. If possible, gang up with other passengers and ensure the captain does not block the isle with seats to accommodate more passengers.
3. Avoid night travels
4. Boats with double engines record less breakdowns. Use them if possible

May God give their families the grace to bear the unfortunate loss

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Atmmachine(m): 9:06pm On Aug 29, 2014
Everyone must die someday
They just paid their prices, they're now free
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by ogb5(m): 9:07pm On Aug 29, 2014
They used a work vest in place of a type 1 floatation device. Work vest can not save someone in a remote location. It can not turn unconscious people face up also to prevent drowning.

The state government is supposed to set the standard for the type of floatation devices people should wear when boarding these boats. Unfortunately I doubt if workers at the Rivers State ministry of Transport know the difference between types of floatation devices.

Amaechi will rather spend billions on political war than train ministry workers to set and monitor the right standards.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by giftphilips(f): 9:07pm On Aug 29, 2014
may their souls rest in peace Amen
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by justi4jesu(f): 9:10pm On Aug 29, 2014
EMEKA1MILLION: One, that is not a life jacket, it's a protective vest, it's only improvised for a life jacket to be used by an experienced mariner,
An amateur swimmer cannot survive on that in a swimming pool talk less of an open ocean..
I have seen this people countless times and I fear for them most times entering flying boats putting on what they think can save their life, below is a pics of a life jacket that can save even the worst of swimmers, all u need is enlightenment on how to use it.. There is a big difference between LSA (life saving apparatus) and PPE (personal protective equipment) u can check online for more details.
If u enter a boat and a life jacket is given to u looking like the pics Pls I beg u to reject it and get down, that thing will neva save ur life if inexperienced.
Worse of all, our marine police see this things and neva do anything about it, all they police in the water is BUNKERERS whom they will arrest and exploit.. This had been an accident that happens frequently this one was just lucky enough to find its way to Nairaland...

Its really Sad..

You will get to see the difference in the life jackets if you happen to travel with LNG Ferry to Bonny.

These local boats just do whatever they like. Only the waves of that Bonny River when another boat passes beside it can kill an old woman.

If its not LNG Ferry that journey has to wait until i get a space on it.

R.I.P
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Bryan12(m): 9:10pm On Aug 29, 2014
Daddyzee:

Life jackets indeed work, but the usage depends on the type of boat (open boat or enclosed)

In the case of open boats, which I recommend, you must wear your life vests. In case of mishaps, you are thrown into the water and the vest suspends you until rescue comes. It could actually suspend you for days. For Bonny area, help usually comes in minutes. (Avoid night travels)

For closed boats however, if there is a mishap, you are not thrown into the sea. You are rather confined inside the boat and the vests will make it impossible for you to swim out!!! You will therefore be trapped. This was what happened in the unfortunate accident this morning. The boat drivers do not help matters as they also overload the boats, blocking the isles with seats. This will multiply the chances of not being able to come out as many passengers will struggle within that confined space. The survivors are usually those near the entrance.

Safety tips
1. Use open boats and wear life vests for the duration of the journey.
2. If closed boats is the only option, do not wear life vest inside the boat. Stay as near the entrance as possible. If possible, gang up with other passengers and ensure the captain does not block the isle with seats to accommodate more passengers.
3. Avoid night travels
4. Boats with double engines record less breakdowns. Use them if possible

May God give their families the grace to bear the unfortunate loss
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by roufy235(m): 9:12pm On Aug 29, 2014
RIP TO THE DEAD
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by makazona(m): 9:13pm On Aug 29, 2014
may the souls of the departed rest in peace
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by fashrola(m): 9:15pm On Aug 29, 2014
ogb5: They used a work vest in place of a type 1 floatation device. Work vest can not save someone in a remote location. It can not turn unconscious people face up also to prevent drowning.

The state government is supposed to set the standard for the type of floatation devices people should wear when boarding these boats. Unfortunately I doubt if workers at the Rivers State ministry of Transport know the difference between types of floatation devices.

Amaechi will rather spend billions on political war than train ministry workers to set and monitor the right standards.
Asin eh how on earth would they give them a work vest? These riverine residents need to be educated the difference between work vest and life vest..
Work Vest are used especially onboard if you are working on deck especially at high sea... you must wear a work vest in case you go overboard... it keeps you afloat for a short period of time... and if the tide is very high it will pull off the strap in between cos it's not meant for that purpose
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by kel4soft: 9:15pm On Aug 29, 2014
3kay945:

Did you say someone stay under water for close to 2hrs undecided

Am not exaggerating. So true. Ask Kpon Fires boys.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
priscaoge: shocked shocked shocked This is one reason Y I hate boat. I have never entered one before because I de fear water like hell angry. May the souls of the departed through the mercy of God RIP cry
Same here & Amen

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by justi4jesu(f): 9:17pm On Aug 29, 2014
kel4soft:

Am not exaggerating. So true. Ask Kpon Fires boys.

Lol those kpo fire boys are fishes no be small grin

Some of them get roasted in the process grin
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
bankyblue: instead of that id*ot that called him self ROTIME to face his work all this past time, he was busy driving elrufie, running into Ekiti to vote, busy flexing power with the centra.

can u imagine now, in this our time and age u could not give them ROAD, even life jacket that cost so little you couldnt made it available.

RIP TO THE DEAD.
Only u waka kome, only u dey yan okpata, only u dey kall pesin wey if dem sell u plus ya family 2geda, d money wey gor kome out nor gor reach d pocket money wey d Amaechi dey dash him house boy angry
Very soon only u go waka back 2 ya bed 7, ward 5, maternity komplex, Yaba-left hosipitu grin
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by priscaoge(f): 9:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
kel4soft:

You are been unfair to us. Those places you don't want to visit produces what keeps NIGERIA.
My dear I de fear Boat like crazy because I don't know how to swim. I don't go close to common stream.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by fashrola(m): 9:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
But no matter what Sea transportation is the safest means of transportation....
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 29, 2014
I don't like the way Nigerians display dead bodies. Indeed, it is very disturbing to the eyes.

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Ilamina(f): 9:22pm On Aug 29, 2014
more pictures

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 29, 2014
[quote author=Nicepoker] mammy water things[/quotecheesysmiley
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by zheroes(m): 9:27pm On Aug 29, 2014
osjoshua:
your Mind:TIME TO SACRIFICE SOME FRESH BLOOD
my Mind:what a debased mind(no offence)
gbam! chai i dey laff tear my boxers grin
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by tellwisdom: 9:40pm On Aug 29, 2014
Are these people sleeping or dead?? sad...Is that place comfortable for them??
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by highmood(m): 9:42pm On Aug 29, 2014
desgiezd: So, so sad. RIP to the dead.

I need someone to enlighten me on this, I can see a life jacket lying down there, there's also a life jacket around the body of one guy there, does it mean that they didnt work or what happened?
I served in a riverine community in Bayelsa. The second to the last town in bayelsa close to rivers. State. It was a scary adventure but I thank God. The people will tell u, life jacket is useless if u don't know how to swim. To a person who don't know how to swim, lifejacket will aid his or her death. My colleagues and I were asked to learn how to swim incase of emergency which we did but not too much. Water!! Water knows no enemy nor friend one can be a victim or victor. I thank God I didn't fall victim to the black water of Idema. RIP to the dead
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 29, 2014
kel4soft:

What are you saying? These are the list of Riverine projects in Rivers State that are supposed to be a Federal Projects

The Ikuru Town Atlantic Ocean Bridge in Andoni
The Okirika Ring Road Bridges
The Unity road Bridges in the Ogoni-Andoni-
Opobo axis
The construction of bridges across Bolo Creek with
approaches
Trans Kalabari road and bridges

The above projects were all done by Amaechi bar the Trans-Kalabari road which is still going on.

Still going on ma foot!!!!! Stayed in Buguma for a while and I noe that, that road construction has stopped!

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by streetzdreamz(m): 9:46pm On Aug 29, 2014
Too bad tragic events like dis keeps happening,I don't know much about dis riverine areas buh I think there ought to be some coast guards or naval officers monitoring dis waters,drowning in local waters aint something d F.G shudnt b able to reduce or eradicate,and to think there r corps members involved,just breaks me more, 5young graduates met their death in d early hours of yesterday while returning back to d school from d neighbouring town.....RIP to d dead
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by scantee(m): 9:47pm On Aug 29, 2014
so sad ....I learnt is IBANISE boat that capsize , have been calling friends that resides there to know wassup, this is heart breaking, remembered my 7yrs stay in Bonny I always pray me last prayer anytime am crossing peter side water, the wave there na die.

RIP to the dead.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Raxxye(m): 9:51pm On Aug 29, 2014
This is really sad and disheartening for me because I work in Bonny. The boat operators over-load the boats such that while in transit, you cannot as much as turn your body because it is so very tight.
Each time I get to the Bonny/Port Harcourt jetty, I shiver at the amount of disregard for human lives and safety. May the souls of the departed RIP!
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Henrypraise: 10:05pm On Aug 29, 2014
desgiezd: So, so sad. RIP to the dead.

I need someone to enlighten me on this, I can see a life jacket lying down there, there's also a life jacket around the body of one guy there, does it mean that they didnt work or what happened?

Lemme try to enlighten u. A bit further.

Life jacket knw as PFD or personal/ portable floatation device, shud first n foremost be original, n d one m seeing on d ground dia is original, secondly, it shud be suitable 4 d terrain, dat PFD m seein dia is not suitable for a rugged/ wavey terrain, its mostly used in d creek n in still water. Furthermore, it shud be properly worn, in dat dia shud be no loose ends, all d straps shud be tightened n tucked in appropriate places n d buckle shud be locked.

Users of PFD shud be inducted/ trained on how to use it in d event of a boat mishap, dats were community/ local govt has failed users of local/ govt jetties. Worn out PFD's shud be properly discarded as de no longer serve dia purpose.

In d event of a boat mishap, ur consciousness shud always be to stay far away from d propeller of d engine (dats y it is important dat d boat driver always has his dead man switch fastened to him).

In most cases of a mishap, d boat usually capsides/ over turn (dis is d cause of most water death) wen d boat ovaturns, ur PFD becomes a death trap to u, at dis point ur pfd will be takin u up n u will be beneath d ovaturned boat, d situation get even worse wen first survivors now take refuge. D capsided boat (maybe sitting/ clinging to d boat) further diminishin d chances of survival for any body whose Pfd has trapped underneath d boat. At dis junction, it is important that dia shud be an induction to sensitise pple on how to behave in d event of a boat mishap.

Howeva, boat rides ar very interestin...

Dunnoe if I helped u answered ur question.

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 29, 2014
Lord, my life cannot be cut short. Amen .
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by austertee01(m): 10:06pm On Aug 29, 2014
bankyblue: instead of that id*ot that called him self ROTIME to face his work all this past time, he was busy driving elrufie, running into Ekiti to vote, busy flexing power with the centra.

can u imagine now, in this our time and age u could not give them ROAD, even life jacket that cost so little you couldnt made it available.

RIP TO THE DEAD.

I can't just imagine some people comment like that of Rat.... Na Amechi cause the mishap

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Snake Swallows Tennis Ball. A Vet Massages It Out (Video) / How To Speak With Airtel Customer Care Agent / Winners Chapel Members Involved In Accident While Returning From Shiloh. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.