Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) (51218 Views)

Graphic Photos From The Boat Mishap In Lagos This Morning / Boat Mishap Kills Scores In Bonny River / Accident At Sangotedo, Ajah In Lagos This Afternoon (viewers Discretion Advised) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by irishCream: 10:07pm On Aug 29, 2014
Collynzo16:
Portable Floating Device, same thing as Life jacket.
The guy just dey blow grammar.
hahahahahahahahhhahahaha...u haff keee me wid lafff oooooo cheesy grin cheesy

Now my pant don bustbust cry
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by titoetal(m): 10:15pm On Aug 29, 2014
It's a pity and may their soul rest in peace. There are many factors contributing to this incident. The boats used for sea transport to and from Bonny Island are not safe for such body of water. passengers are just at the mercy of God and constantly hanging their life on the balance. The Peterside zone is very turbulent and if you arrive there during strong current, it takes boats with sound engine to pass it with great struggle. Some boats are highly overloaded with luggage giving the engine more work to pull. On use of life jacket, they are improperly used. That is not firmly secured to the body and not knowing how to make oneself afloat in the water. This is where training for water survival comes in.
There is a road that should go from Bodo to Bonny Island which have been awarded and its construction has taken up to 30 years if not more without any headway. Is it that there is no feasebility study before awarding it or managers of water transport has made it impossible for their business to thrive as often speculated, only God knows.
I have moved along this water way for over 5 years then. I have my bitter experience and my family members too. I urge government through NIMASA to take decisive action in ensuring that our water transport is safe through enforcing existing regulations and monitoring.

My condolence to the beriefed family.

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by kel4soft: 10:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
topelouis:

Still going on ma foot!!!!! Stayed in Buguma for a while and I noe that, that road construction has stopped!

The road is coming from Tombia through Bukuma, Degema LGA (not Buguma, Asari Toru). The road has not stopped. Is a ring road. LCC is constructing it. That said, that project has a 4years duration to be completed and LCC actually started work earlier this year after Ombu Isokiariari Construction Coy finished the sandfilling at that Ogbakiri-Tombia axis. Are you also aware Iloabuchi-Eagle Island road is part of Trans Kalabari road?

2 Likes

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by crudedude(m): 10:17pm On Aug 29, 2014
I'm actually learning a lot about sea travel from this thread. Its just sad seeing the pictures of the deceased cry

R.I.P to the dead.

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 29, 2014
Where's the leg of that dude standing with a white singlet,,,,,,,is he a spirit or smt?? Been trying to render the image on my head,,,,can't seem to spot his legs dou,,,,or was the picture edited?

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by kel4soft: 10:28pm On Aug 29, 2014
justi4jesu:

Lol those kpo fire boys are fishes no be small grin

Some of them get roasted in the process grin

Those kpo fire boys can actually stay under the water for as long as they can when they are on chase by you know them now.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by gebest: 10:35pm On Aug 29, 2014
Deaths is too mush in this administration/regime.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by cococandy(f): 10:36pm On Aug 29, 2014
So sad.
Always used to be afraid to go with the small boats.
The safe ways are either big ship or chopper or nothing.
That water no be small thing.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by leofab(f): 10:53pm On Aug 29, 2014
You guys should have known APC controlled states and their propaganda, who told you that those victims were wearing those life jackets. They quickly dropped it there and snapped them to evade public criticism and deceive gullible Nigerians like you lots. Can't you all see beyond your noses? Huh?
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by olajubu100(m): 11:04pm On Aug 29, 2014
May God be with their families-AMEN.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Smooyis(m): 11:09pm On Aug 29, 2014
May their souls find mercy with their creator.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Enoquin(f): 11:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
topelouis: Where's the leg of that dude standing with a white singlet,,,,,,,is he a spirit or smt?? Been trying to render the image on my head,,,,can't seem to spot his legs dou,,,,or was the picture edited?

Perhaps you need to do another rendering. There is clearly a raised platform. This raised structure has two bodies on it while the rest are lying on the floor, below the raised platform. You aren't seeing the guy's legs because of the angle of the shot (picture)

2 Likes

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Scetchmaster(m): 11:21pm On Aug 29, 2014
I guess those life jackets are not properly wore or they are all worn-out, most of the local boat operators used expired life jackets, they are less concern about passengers lives. That why its good to have your own personal life jacket when working or leaving in those riverine area. I worked in those area also but the most important thing is to pray always cos it is God that gives a save journey either land, air or water. R.I.P to the dead.

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by piagetskinner(m): 11:24pm On Aug 29, 2014
Jeez!! and I'm sure the corpers we're the ones recently posted to that state RIPangry
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 29, 2014
Enoquin:

Perhaps you need to do another rendering. There is clearly a raised platform. This raised structure has two bodies on it while the rest are lying on the floor, below the raised platform. You aren't seeing the guy's legs because of the angle of the shot (picture)

Aw did I miss that? I hope ma brain hasn't overworked itsef!!! Been working on Illusions all day, I think that's y my eye is seeing one wia there's none!

Thanks anyway maam
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by crudedude(m): 11:29pm On Aug 29, 2014
leofab: You guys should have known APC controlled states and their propaganda, who told you that those victims were wearing those life jackets. They quickly dropped it there and snapped them to evade public criticism and deceive gullible Nigerians like you lots. Can't you all see beyond your noses? Huh?

Hope everything is alright?

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Joeadamxx(m): 11:32pm On Aug 29, 2014
This is not the first time neither will it be the last this will happen. Bonny to PHC is a journey of 45 minutes on the waterway adjoining the sea. Most of the boat owners NEVER travel by their boats, but arm twist NLNG to allow them travel on its secured and safe boats. The boats used for commuting are poorly built with low freeboard and to make high speed, the boats are mounted with 2 x 55 hp outboard engines. No regards to safety of passengers whatsoever. While in Bonny, I tried to engage the boat owners to form a cooperative, buy size-able ferry boat jointly and gradually get rid of the open boats, but was rebuffed that no "foreigner" will tell them how to run their waterways. Unfortunately, the poor and helpless are the ones that always perish. The King and all titled chiefs in Bonny never travel by these boats!

2 Likes

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Schochills(f): 11:47pm On Aug 29, 2014
The two female corp members involved actually left my room this morning. But I thank God that all the corp members survived the ugly incident. God is best life jacket oooh. Federal government should do something about the road because all these captains re playing with people's life.

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Hembelembe: 11:58pm On Aug 29, 2014
RIP
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by freakcin: 12:30am On Aug 30, 2014
My bet is on the life vest not worn properly. It actually chokes you in the event of a boat capsize if worn loosely. I think the people running the local boat transport needs be sensitized on the need to wear the life vest firmly and appropriately.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by chiogoezubem(f): 1:03am On Aug 30, 2014
Hmmm! Reminiscing on my times on these waters. I spent 2days every month plying PH/Bonny for a whole year youth service. So many near misses. Too many scary tales on that water. 50mins-1hr journey depending on how fast the boat is.

My first journey to Bonny, I traveled on a 'Badge' or something (an engine used to push sand @sea)(someone correct me pls on the correct name for it). And we spent up to 4hours on the water. And a very strange thing happened on that Badge; something that would have capsized an ordinary boat had we been traveling in one.

I thank God I survived the many evening trips back to my base in Bonny at the end of my visits with my family. The tide used to be so turbulent at such times.

@the post, so sad and may their souls RIP.

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Tomjazzy2: 1:13am On Aug 30, 2014
I probably shouldnt have viewed this thread. So sad seeing these lifeless bodies, expecially that litttle boy. Now my sleep is ruined. RIP to them all.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by chiogoezubem(f): 1:13am On Aug 30, 2014
topelouis: Where's the leg of that dude standing with a white singlet,,,,,,,is he a spirit or smt?? Been trying to render the image on my head,,,,can't seem to spot his legs dou,,,,or was the picture edited?

Where the 3 life jackets and the little boy's corpse are is a raised platform, and the guy you refer to is standing just beside it. So its natural for the platform to cover the lower part of his legs.

Notice also the corpse whose upper body is being covered too by the platform. Its just the picture angle.

2 Likes

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Tomjazzy2: 1:18am On Aug 30, 2014
and that was all that caught your attention? like seriously
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by stexsy(m): 3:10am On Aug 30, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

I can only see one life jack. And even having a life jacket on doesn't guarantee life. Its just something to keep you afloat till rescuers come. Our safey culture is very poor....the navy were probably drinking ogogoro for one corner,while people get drowned.
Are Navy suppose to be rescueing drowned people? Just asking
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Sageez(m): 4:01am On Aug 30, 2014
bankyblue: instead of that id*ot that called him self ROTIME to face his work all this past time, he was busy driving elrufie, running into Ekiti to vote, busy flexing power with the centra.

can u imagine now, in this our time and age u could not give them ROAD, even life jacket that cost so little you couldnt made it available.

RIP TO THE DEAD.
4giv me if i cal u a fool. Amechi has notin to do wit dis. I liv in bonny, i n knw peterside to wel, anytin cal happen der. Do u tin u cn stop nature, dat river isnt manmade n amechi can do notin abt it
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by ogb5(m): 4:27am On Aug 30, 2014
Sageez: 4giv me if i cal u a fool. Amechi has notin to do wit dis. I liv in bonny, i n knw peterside to wel, anytin cal happen der. Do u tin u cn stop nature, dat river isnt manmade n amechi can do notin abt it

With people reasoning like you, Nigeria have a very long way to go. There are many things the state government and Rivers state ministry of transport could have done to prevent this accident.

First, all accidents are caused by someone. There is no accident that can not be prevented. You need to understand this point before discussing accidents and accident prevention. If you do not get this point then please dont bother reading further.

secondly, the Rivers state government should have set up minimum safety standards which boat operators are to adher to to prevent accidents. Those standards are no where to be seen.

Rivers state government is supposed to specify the type and size of floatation devices each person is to wear before boarding water craft. Those specification are no where to be found.

Rivers state government is supposed to licence each boat used for public transport and certify that they are sea worthy before being used, the certifification is also supposed to specify the number of persons and maximum weight the boat is allowed to carry. THis requirement is non existent.

Boat drivers are supposed to be certified to ensure that people lives are not entrusted into the hands of incompetent people. This is not being done.

lastly those who cause the death of others through these types of preventable accidents ought to be taken to court and jailed for manslaughter by the rivers state government as a deterrent to others, this is not being done.

In summary officials of the Rivers state ministry of transport are grossly incompetent to supervise the activity of water transportation in Rivers state hence we are seeing these types of preventable accidents.

1 Like

Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Dexema(m): 5:38am On Aug 30, 2014
Some of these Niger-delta waters don't respect life jacket,plus overloading and refusal of passengers to wear lIfe jackets.
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by justi4jesu(f): 6:45am On Aug 30, 2014
kel4soft:

Those kpo fire boys can actually stay under the water for as long as they can when they are on chase by you know them now.

i know no be lie grin
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 30, 2014
I took my first boat ride last week from Ikorodu to lagos island. it was rough, noisy and breath taking. i think it was my last boat ride. so the life jacket cant save life
Re: Boat Mishap Along Port Harcourt-Bonny Sea Route (Pics At Viewers Discretion) by kidaberry(f): 7:46am On Aug 30, 2014
VIPERVENOM: I heard dat boat was meant to carry 32 passengers but 38 were loaded. Just dont understand why some ppl put other people's lives at risk cos of money

That is true i travel with the ibani-se boat regularly. The road that the passengers are meant to use have been blocked with benches that sit two people and so even on a normal day exitting the boat is hard even gaining entry cause ur will have to start crossing benches. And as for the life jackets you see, most times it is not used and thats the truth. And even when used the jakects will float you up and please note that it is a covered boat making the task of survival even more difficult. I lost a family friend and her two children, rumour has it that some woke up at the bonny general hospital motuary but there was no oxygen to sustain them. I heard NLNG and SHELL refused to give

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Teens Only (Age Group 13 - 19) / My Father Killed This Python Last Night After It Killed A Hen / Winners Chapel Members Involved In Accident While Returning From Shiloh. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.