Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt (1651 Views)

Can You Choose To Come To This Life As A Black Man Once Again.? / The Black Man: Unchained Lust And Its Wake Of Distruction / Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by bawomolo(m): 12:37am On Oct 26, 2008

A black couple from Missouri seek amends from clothing store Journeys after their son was given a receipt that said "dumb N-word" in capital letters.

Linda Slater said she's both saddened and angry that it happened and "to know that racism is still alive."

On Friday, her son Keith Slater, 22, bought a pair of loafer-style shoes from the Journeys at the Oak Park Mall in Overland Park, Kan., about a 30-minute drive from their home in Kansas City, Mo.

When he found a less expensive pair of similar shoes at a different store a short while later, however, he returned the first pair to Journeys the next day.

The clerk, whom Linda Slater described as a 20-something white woman, asked why he was returning the shoes and Keith Slater told her about the less expensive shoes he had bought.

It wasn't until the family got home that he glanced at his receipt and saw the insult printed next to the line marked "Cust" for customer.

"Then I was like, 'Nah, no way. It can't say that," Keith Slater, a junior at Missouri State University in Springfield, told ABCNews.com today. "I was shocked, 'cause I didn't do anything for that to happen."

Keith Slater, who is studying business and finance, said he had never been directly called the racial epithet before and his mother said she hadn't either.

When they returned to Journeys the next day, the same clerk showed the Slaters that she simply had entered a code into the computer and that's what came up.

The clerk's intentions are unclear but Linda Slater said the woman indicated she knew that was in the system and told the family that the employee who put it there had been terminated.

Keith Slater said he's partially gotten the resolution that he wants in that the word has gotten out and people know "this can still happen." But he also wants to know why the phrase was allowed in the system in the first place.

A statement issued by Nashville, Tenn.-based Genesco, which owns the clothing store aimed at young shoppers, said the company was continuing to investigate the incident.

The statement also said that the employee who added the language to the system had been terminated but the company would not say whether the termination occurred before or after the Slater incident.

"Needless to say, such an act was not authorized by Journeys and will not be tolerated," the statement read. "At Journeys, we pride ourselves on valuing and respecting every customer. We are shocked and sickened that a former associate could be responsible for an act so out of keeping with our culture and our values."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=6088706&page=1

although this is kinda funny, why would anyone do such a thing
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by Morenike3(f): 12:38am On Oct 26, 2008
Damn! He's fine!! shocked shocked
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by KB1(m): 1:02am On Oct 26, 2008
*Morenike:

You say that about almost every African-American boy.
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by Morenike3(f): 1:15am On Oct 26, 2008
KB1:

You say that about almost every African-American boy.
ehrrrrm NO!

. . . . .And you are?
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by MrCrackles(m): 1:19am On Oct 26, 2008
*Morenike:

ashewo grin
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by Morenike3(f): 1:23am On Oct 26, 2008
Jealousy jealousy embarassed
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by BabyJinx: 1:56am On Oct 26, 2008
Rotflmao! That's just all sorts of was wrong but funny. Wait, did they forget they were gonna give him a copy. . . the CUSTOMER'S COPY of the receipt? Okay, let's add dumb to the list.

Tee hee hee grin
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by BabyJinx: 1:57am On Oct 26, 2008
*Morenike:

Yeah but also dumb grin
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by Morenike3(f): 2:26am On Oct 26, 2008
Baby Jinx:

Yeah but also dumb grin
But fineeeeeeeeeeeeee. Damn!! Why can't naija men be like that? undecided
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by bawomolo(m): 5:24am On Oct 26, 2008
*Morenike:

you Jezebel, you want a dumb guy you can control
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by KarmaMod(f): 5:31am On Oct 26, 2008
Funny thing is Journey's pretty much a black store. I wonder how many dumb niggers got such receipts grin

Kansas, what a surprise.
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by shotster50(m): 7:36am On Oct 26, 2008
This is plain crass.
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by MrCrackles(m): 9:50am On Oct 26, 2008
*Morenike:

have you seen me?! cheesy
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by sexyLeamon(f): 9:53am On Oct 26, 2008
the guy is quite cute
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by KarmaMod(f): 5:28pm On Oct 26, 2008
If by fine you mean dyed albino then ok
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by Morenike3(f): 7:38pm On Oct 26, 2008
bawomolo:

you Jezebel, you want a dumb guy you can control
No, I don't want you jk tongue

Nah, I just think he's hot. Appreciating the Lord's good work.

MrCrackles:

have you seen me?! cheesy
Yes na. . . . and he's still hotter grin cool tongue

KarmaMod:

If by fine you mean dyed albino then ok
Now you've gotta admit that that man is fine na.
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by ezeagu(m): 8:20pm On Oct 26, 2008
*Morenike:

Because were not filled with generations of interracial mixing maybe? wink grin embarassed
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by chiogo(f): 8:51pm On Oct 26, 2008
@ *Morenike, They got a serious issue at hand and you're busy talking about he's cute.  tongue

But yeah, he is kind@ cute. lipsrsealed but Dumb ni**er?? That's sooooo funny!!! I don't know why black

Americans get mad anyway, they use it on themselves. cheesy
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by Morenike3(f): 9:14pm On Oct 26, 2008
chiogo:

@ *Morenike, They got a serious issue at hand and you're busy talking about he's cute. tongue

But yeah, he is kind@ cute. lipsrsealed but Dumb ni**er?? That's sooooo funny!!! I don't know why black

Americans get mad anyway, they use it on themselves. cheesy
lol, and that's why am not taking the topic serious. tongue

Imagine going to a black neighborhood, most times, a sent. can't be said without some curses.

I understand that sometimes "dumb nigger/nigga" is uttered while they're joking, but if same people that despise being labelled such, then should not brand themselves such words.

"dumb ass nigga/nigger" "bleeping niggas/niggers". . . .sheesh, these people are not serious at all.

ezeagu:

Because were not filled with generations of interracial mixing maybe? wink grin embarassed
Yea, that's what the akatas can boast about that I'd actually 100% agree on:
Advantage of being handsome/beautiful out of the African/black (w/e they like to be called) nation.
They have the amongst themselves the most beau/handsome people among the dark skins.
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by ezeagu(m): 5:09pm On Oct 27, 2008
I don't know about racial mixing equating to someone being beautiful, but I think physical beauty varies among them just like all other African people, after all aren't there Afro: Trinidadians, Dominicans, Brazilians and so on who are heavily mixed,
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by OrumbaS89(f): 1:46am On Oct 28, 2008
That is bleeped up. He is cute though. This is not funny. :/
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by Morenike3(f): 2:22am On Oct 28, 2008
ezeagu:

I don't know about racial mixing equating to someone being beautiful, but I think physical beauty varies among them just like all other African people, after all aren't there Afro: Trinidadians, Dominicans, Brazilians and so on who are heavily mixed,
Am not saying it is, but come on!!
You've got to admit, their men are hot!! The look is the only thing I like abt their men sha undecided
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by bawomolo(m): 4:07am On Oct 28, 2008
*Morenike:

Am not saying it is, but come on!!
You've got to admit, their men are hot!! The look is the only thing I like about their men sha undecided

what are you doing talking about men online. isn't it bed time?? cool
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by Morenike3(f): 4:14am On Oct 28, 2008
Is it bothering you? tongue
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by A40(m): 4:51am On Oct 28, 2008
In the words of Dave Chappelle

Who decided that the word Nigger would make black people mad for the rest of history? Did they have a meeting back in the 1600's or something
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by redsun(m): 11:41am On Oct 28, 2008
Some rednecks refers to their good looks as selective breeding,lucky to be enslaved and out of africa.In as much as i believe that beauty is not blings,but emotions and substance,deep down,it comes with comfort and environment.

The case of nigger on the receipt is just a true picture of what america still is today,nothing has change,it will be clearly seen soon from Obama losing the coming election to those caricatures,that make american election looks like a joke,more like bill O'reilly and paris hilton contesting for american presidency.
Re: Black Man Labelled As Dumb N***er On Store Receipt by davidif: 3:23am On Sep 04, 2009
The case of nigger on the receipt is just a true picture of what america still is today,nothing has change,it will be clearly seen soon from Obama losing the coming election to those caricatures,that make american election looks like a joke,more like bill O'reilly and paris hilton contesting for american presidency.

Iro lo pa (na lie)

(1) (Reply)

Intellectual Ignorance Is Destroying The Intellectual Culture Of Nigeria / Video: American Gives Outlined Intro Into Orisha Lifestyle Of The Yoruba / Features Of A Witch/wizard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.