Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins (24577 Views)

Event Marketing In The Social Media Common Room / The Program Has Been Designed As Common Software For Security Hybrid Platforms F / Tailors And Politicians. What Do They Have In Common? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by ulster: 6:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
Here is a list of 7 most common wedding traditions and their origins to wedding enthusiasts across the globe.

Weddings are layered with many traditions that have evolved over time.

1. BRIDESMAIDS: One of the most interesting wedding traditions remains with bridesmaids and their original purpose. Nowadays, bridesmaid dresses usually cause the most contention. However, originally bridesmaids dressed exactly the same as the bride. The purpose was to confuse evil spirits and stop them from becoming fixated on the bride, and ultimately prevent them from cursing the newlyweds.

2. WHITE BRIDAL GOWN: It was actually Queen Victoria who introduced the white wedding tradition back in 1840. Since then, women all over the world have followed her cue. Traditionally, the white wedding gown symbolized purity, innocence and chastity. Not so sure about this nowadays…and many brides are choosing other colours for their gowns.

3.THE RING FINGER: Beyonce’s "if you liked it, then you should have put a ring on it" lyrics chimes an element of ancient truth. In ancient Rome, when a man put a ring on a woman, he literally took possession of her. The ring symbolized his ownership. Additionally, ancient Romans believed the ‘Vena Amoris’ or ‘Vein of Love’ connected the left ring finger directly to the heart, which is why the wedding ring is only ever placed on this finger.

4.STAG NIGHTS: One of the oldest wedding traditions is the stag night and it hasn’t changed much since the Spartans started it in the 5th Century B.C. Stag nights are when a groom celebrates his last night as a single man. No superstitions, no evolution, just the same celebration with the same purpose and we're guessing the same outcome – MESSY.

5.BOUQUET: In ancient times, bouquets were made up of pungent herbs and spices like garlic and dill. The reason was to ward off those pesky evil spirits and prevent ill health. Fortunately times have changed and we have evolved to become a less superstitious society. Nowadays, brides carry bouquets made up of fragrant flowers as oppose to pungent herbs.

6.THROWING RICE: In ancient times, rice symbolized the seed of life. Traditionally it was thrown at the newlywed couple as they departed from the church. This gesture was to wish the couple luck, prosperity and fertility. Nowadays, it's simply seen as littering and apparently it's not so good for native birds. These days, people are replacing rice with ribbons or confetti.

7.CARRYING THE BRIDE OVER THE THRESHOLD:Traditionally speaking, there were two different reasons the groom carried the bride over the threshold. In some parts of the world it was to protect his bride from being possessed by evil spirits. Back then, brides were considered as being highly vulnerable to spirit intrusion. In other parts of the world, it was a way of preventing the bride from appearing too eager to lose her virginity. Nowadays, it’s a romantic gesture, one that we hope sticks around forever.

There are so many more interesting wedding traditions in the different parts of the world, and typically most of them spawn from our ancient ancestors’ superstitious natures.

Can you think of any? What is your favorite wedding tradition?

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 29, 2014
Un-African art they all.

14 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by ulster: 6:26pm On Aug 29, 2014
smurfy: Un-African art they all.

totally agree with you....if only we celebrate our local ways of doing things: once said, the white wedding we value so much is the white man's traditional and only wedding! Anyway, what is your favorite wedding tradition.....?

8 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Youngsage: 6:27pm On Aug 29, 2014
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 29, 2014
ulster:

totally agree with you....if only we celebrate our local ways of doing things: once said, the white wedding we value so much is the white man's traditional and only wedding! Anyway, what is your favorite wedding tradition.....?

Me? Ain't married yet. And that area is still a complex zone to venture into cheesy
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by ulster: 6:37pm On Aug 29, 2014
smurfy:
Me? Ain't married yet. And that area is still a complex zone to venture into cheesy

well , you don't have to be married to like or have a favorite wedding tradition; at-least one to be looking up-to when you finally get married wink
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 29, 2014
ulster:

well , you don't have to be married to like or have a favorite wedding tradition; at-least one to be looking up-to when you finally get married wink

Yeah, I know. That's why I added sentence No 2. I'll like to get near the bridge before deciding how to cross it.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Tallesty1(m): 6:48pm On Aug 29, 2014
And nigerians don copy am like say nah dia own. We always imitate the western world and sometimes we imitate without understanding; and that is why sometimes you see someboy telling you that white wedding is more important than traditional marriage. I think the blacks have a great incurable inferiority complex

8 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Tallesty1(m): 6:48pm On Aug 29, 2014
ulster:

We don't value what we have.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by donmalcolm21(m): 7:43pm On Aug 29, 2014
The wedding tradition that I know of is that the woman dances like that's her last because finally she has moved from spinsterhood to marriagehood.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by jmoore(m): 7:46pm On Aug 29, 2014
" Searching for the groom- Igbo wedding.

"Once all presentation have been done as custom demands the bride makes an entrance led by her maidens, she approaches her father who gives her a symbolic wooden cup filled with palm wine, the purpose is for the bride to seek out her suitor among the teeming crowd.
The groom might choose to seat at the back with friends or within the crowd,
she seeks him out and offers him the wine which he drinks expressing his
love, affection and agreement with the bonding, they then present themselves
to their individual parents and the gathering." - Culled from http://tony55.hubpages.com/hub/The-Igbo-Traditional-Wedding-Igba-Nkwu-Igbo-Traditional-Marriage-ceremonies

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 29, 2014
From the OP's post, it seemz white wedding was never out thing. Now trending is when ur wife to be would tell u her pastor insist u come to her church or she can't marry u.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 29, 2014
Another reason to love NL.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by ulster: 8:43am On Aug 30, 2014
urhoboman: From the OP's post, it seemz white wedding was never out thing. Now trending is when ur wife to be would tell u her pastor insist u come to her church or she can't marry u.

Well, I think its a bit okay to get married in the girl's church, after all she is been taken away

2 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by ulster: 8:46am On Aug 30, 2014
urhoboman: From the OP's post, it seemz white wedding was never out thing. Now trending is when ur wife to be would tell u her pastor insist u come to her church or she can't marry u.

Well I think its okay to get married in the lady's church, after all she is one who is been taken away or leaving her church
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 30, 2014
ulster: 1. BRIDESMAIDS: One of the most interesting wedding traditions remains with bridesmaids and their original purpose. Nowadays, bridesmaid dresses usually cause the most contention. However, originally bridesmaids dressed exactly the same as the bride. The purpose was to confuse evil spirits and stop them from becoming fixated on the bride, and ultimately prevent them from cursing the newlyweds.

Interesting purpose.

This would surely send shivers down the spines of all prospective bridesmaids.

Who wants to embrace an evil spirit meant for the bride after all cheesy

1 Like

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by aholiab(m): 9:02am On Aug 30, 2014
The white man ain't GOD. must all these 'rituals' happen before getting married.

These unchecked history is the reason why our gals have chosen extented single hood all in a bid to fulfill fantasy of omotola jakandesque wedding instead of reasoning how to lead a good married life.

Consequence? divorce after a N3.5million wedding.

7 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 30, 2014
ulster:

Well I think its okay to get married in the lady's church, after all she is one who is been taken away or leaving her church
"HER CHURCH" That would be the problm. I believe u will do same for a lady. I don't have a church I call "my church". Evry sunday I do attend any church that comes to mind, at timez I do get invite from frndz to attend their church, nd I will attend the same church for like 3 to 4timez, itz the same God I went there to pray to. If at the point of getting ready 4 marriage my lady suggest to get it done in her church I won't mind bt glady accept, but if she INSIST itz her church alone or else she can't marry me. To hell with her. It amazes me how/why a pastor would brainwash hez/her members to that extent.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by ulster: 12:58pm On Aug 30, 2014
urhoboman: "HER CHURCH" That would be the problm. I believe u will do same for a lady. I don't have a church I call "my church". Evry sunday I do attend any church that comes to mind, at timez I do get invite from frndz to attend their church, nd I will attend the same church for like 3 to 4timez, itz the same God I went there to pray to. If at the point of getting ready 4 marriage my lady suggest to get it done in her church I won't mind bt glady accept, but if she INSIST itz her church alone or else she can't marry me. To hell with her. It amazes me how/why a pastor would brainwash hez/her members to that extent.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by ulster: 10:34am On Sep 01, 2014
aholiab: The white man ain't GOD. must all these 'rituals' happen before getting married.

These unchecked history is the reason why our gals have chosen extented single hood all in a bid to fulfill fantasy of omotola jakandesque wedding instead of reasoning how to lead a good married life.

Consequence? divorce after a N3.5million wedding.

very true...!
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by ulster: 3:43pm On Sep 01, 2014
Yomieluv: Another reason to love NL.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by AlisonTang: 6:38am On Sep 02, 2014
WoW..It's my first time hear so interesting meaning of bridesmaid dresses..And as a wedding vendor,I have got many same style bridesmaid dresses from grbidal.com.....They meet my all requirements.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Jarchi(m): 6:45am On Sep 02, 2014
Killing of cows and jollof rice nko

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 11:33am On Sep 03, 2014
Na so!
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Mutuwa(m): 11:34am On Sep 03, 2014
ulster:

True,coz we lack creativity and have alot of frustrations in our art and literature forcing us to imbibe a foreign norm.

1 Like

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Jarchi(m): 11:38am On Sep 03, 2014
Spirit devil wtf
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by mencade5(m): 11:39am On Sep 03, 2014
african culture is our true culture. Not islamic not christianity weddings.

Wasting money anyhow for a wedding doesnt make sense. My fore fathers did their wedding in the african way and they enjoyed it.

I shall not disappoint them.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by irishCream: 11:40am On Sep 03, 2014
I want jus introduction and court wedding from my hubby...is that too much to ask?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by mencade5(m): 11:41am On Sep 03, 2014
ulster:

she is been taken. Is she also paying for it too?
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:42am On Sep 03, 2014
[size=18pt]ALL THIS NA OYINBO TRADITIONS!

AM I IN OYINBO.com OR IN NAIRALAND NIGERIAN FORUM ? I am confused sef[/size]

1 Like

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by mencade5(m): 11:42am On Sep 03, 2014
irishCream: I want jus introduction and court wedding from my hubby...is that too much to ask?
that is what i have in mind too. Its not too much. Lets do it together. tongue
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by priscaoge(f): 11:44am On Sep 03, 2014
No6 though undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Paul Arisa, The Cancer Patient's Burial Photos / 10 Types Of People You Find At Every Owambe / Video Of Heavily Pregnant Woman Dancing At A Praise Concert Goes Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.