Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,567 members, 7,955,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:00 PM

7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins (24665 Views)

Event Marketing In The Social Media Common Room / The Program Has Been Designed As Common Software For Security Hybrid Platforms F / Tailors And Politicians. What Do They Have In Common? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:45am On Sep 03, 2014
Learn from INdians, Japanese, etc. they stick to their wedding traditions.

Japanese Wedding in Meiji Shrine.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by mencade5(m): 11:47am On Sep 03, 2014
2. WHITE BRIDAL GOWN: It was actually Queen
Victoria who introduced the white wedding
tradition back in 1840. Since then, women all
over the world have followed her cue.
Traditionally, the white wedding gown
symbolized purity, innocence and chastity. Not so sure about this nowadays…and many brides are
choosing other colours for their gowns.

The rate in which our girls dey fvck up and down has made the white wedding useless.

Copy copy people una dey hear abi?
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 03, 2014
mencade5: she is been taken. Is she also paying for it too?
angry angry // For as much as an Introduction and Court wedding, do you have to say this too arakunrin ? grin grin
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by AriDsexy(f): 11:58am On Sep 03, 2014
Jumping the broom,some people do that.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by MarieSucre(f): 11:59am On Sep 03, 2014
I shall do it all. the white gown, the bouquet, the confetti, the razzmatazz and more... white wedding sweet oo.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Bode2: 12:02pm On Sep 03, 2014
jmoore: " Searching for the groom- Igbo wedding.

"Once all presentation have been done as custom demands the bride makes an entrance led by her maidens, she approaches her father who gives her a symbolic wooden cup filled with palm wine, the purpose is for the bride to seek out her suitor among the teeming crowd.
The groom might choose to seat at the back with friends or within the crowd,
she seeks him out and offers him the wine which he drinks expressing his
love, affection and agreement with the bonding, they then present themselves
to their individual parents and the gathering." - Culled from http://tony55.hubpages.com/hub/The-Igbo-Traditional-Wedding-Igba-Nkwu-Igbo-Traditional-Marriage-ceremonies
I think this is quite logical and lovely
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by epospiky(m): 12:02pm On Sep 03, 2014
Just learnt something!
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by MarieSucre(f): 12:05pm On Sep 03, 2014
PAGAN9JA: Learn from INdians, Japanese, etc. they stick to their wedding traditions.

Japanese Wedding in Meiji Shrine.

are the all indians and Japanese christians are they from a country(like Nigeria)which is 49% christians and 50% muslims?? come to my parish and see how the indians are. Those who are traditional africans will do traditional things and those who are not will do what they do.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Bryan12(m): 12:08pm On Sep 03, 2014
Youngsage: .
Youngsage booking space since 1989
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 12:13pm On Sep 03, 2014
irishCream: I want jus introduction and court wedding from my hubby...is that too much to ask?
Hmm
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by radiant3(f): 12:23pm On Sep 03, 2014
White Bridal Gown,The Ring Finger and Bouquet.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Crixina(f): 12:27pm On Sep 03, 2014
Hard to comment cos I really don't like weddings

1 Like

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:27pm On Sep 03, 2014
MarieSucre: are the all indians and Japanese christians are they from a country of 49% christians and 50% muslims?? come to my parish and see how the indians are. Those who are traditional africans will do traditional things and those who are not will do what they do.

chrsitians are traitors to dia white masters everywhere. That doesnt mean we let down our Ancestors customs and traditions.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by hensben(m): 12:31pm On Sep 03, 2014
MarieSucre: I shall do it all. the white gown, the bouquet, the confetti, the razzmatazz and more... white wedding sweet oo.
undecided sad
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by irishCream: 12:49pm On Sep 03, 2014
From the way u comment on this forum u are still a boy! Go and grow up for i dont mingle wid boys.
mencade5: that is what i have in mind too. Its not too much. Lets do it together. tongue

2 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by bollify(m): 1:24pm On Sep 03, 2014
[quote author=irishCream] my exact dream, but shey my girl go gree? Still don't know cos you ladies and oyibo man way of life.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Haywhymido(m): 2:06pm On Sep 03, 2014
Insha allah on my nikkah day it will be simple n unique.

1 Like

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 03, 2014
I suddenly don't fancy white weddings.
Why!
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by mstik(f): 2:29pm On Sep 03, 2014
"Jumping the broom" is an expression meaning "to get married," and it is an African-American tradition stemming from the days of slavery. African-American slaves were often not permitted to marry, so they had to create their own customs and traditions to mark this special occasion among themselves. Other slaves would lay a broom on the floor, and the new couple would jump over it together, symbolizing the start of their life smiley
AriDsexy: Jumping the broom,some people do that.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 03, 2014
.CARRYING THE BRIDE OVER THE THRESHOLD:Traditionally speaking, there were two different reasons the groom carried the bride over the threshold. In some parts of the world it was to protect his bride from being possessed by evil spirits. Back then, brides were considered as being highly vulnerable to spirit intrusion. In other parts of the world, it was a way of preventing the bride from appearing too eager to lose her virginity. Nowadays, it’s a romantic gesture, one that we hope sticks around forever.

Obviously,the above would not apply if the groom was 'I go die' the comedian and Eniola Badmus as the bride...
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by AriDsexy(f): 4:31pm On Sep 03, 2014
mstik: "Jumping the broom" is an expression meaning "to get married," and it is an African-American tradition stemming from the days of slavery. African-American slaves were often not permitted to marry, so they had to create their own customs and traditions to mark this special occasion among themselves. Other slaves would lay a broom on the floor, and the new couple would jump over it together, symbolizing the start of their life smiley
Oh my bad...I thought its a wedding tradition,becos I see the new couple walking across the broom,also tought its a tradition in Nigeria.Thanks for explaining.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by ulster: 4:33pm On Sep 03, 2014
Mutuwa:

True,coz we lack creativity and have alot of frustrations in our art and literature forcing us to imbibe a foreign norm.

the other point to be made is that the white wedding is now considered as the authentic or main wedding.....if you have complete the traditional aspects with all obligations fulfilled, you are still considered as 'not married' except the white wedding is done. This stance creates room for more spending and you hear people saying, i did traditional, court and white wedding......three weddings all to satisfy the society!
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by ulster: 4:36pm On Sep 03, 2014
AriDsexy: Jumping the broom,some people do that.
yes very true.....another one is the tying of knots
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by room089: 5:10pm On Sep 03, 2014
Indeed un-african, but the tradition has come to stay in Africa.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by lucarzdavidz(m): 6:08pm On Sep 03, 2014
Most you get married in a church?
Why not in an event center, or in your compound...wear whatever you deem fit and receive the blessing of your parent and if there's a pastor there, he can as well join you guys together there....
Most is it always be in church?
Christians!!!
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by MarieSucre(f): 6:09pm On Sep 03, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

chrsitians are traitors to dia white masters everywhere. That doesnt mean we let down our Ancestors customs and traditions.
how is it possible to conflate a religion with a race? huh! so white christians are traitors to whom?
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by kalufelix(m): 6:50pm On Sep 03, 2014
Women inviting serpents and evil spirits into the garden since 1 BC
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 8:08pm On Sep 03, 2014
My favorite wedding day tradition is the rum cake of course! Everyone gets a sweet and pungent piece of cake, to eat or keep if you so choose. Being literally dunked in rum and soaked in it for days means that the cake will very rarely spoil. My parents have kept a piece of the larger cake in the fridge and take a bite out of it every anniversary. Original Drunk in Love!!! And as long as there is cake to eat, your love will be sweeter and stronger too!!!

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by kinharold(m): 9:49pm On Sep 03, 2014
Tallesty1: And nigerians don copy am like say nah dia own. We always imitate the western world and sometimes we imitate without understanding; and that is why sometimes you see someboy telling you that white wedding is more important than traditional marriage. I think the blacks have a great incurable inferiority complex
Seriously my dear, left with me white wedding should have been long gone.

What pains me most is that
*It is not even in the Bible.
*It does not confer marriage ie, doing white marriage alone does not make you married. (Make her people no come brake bottle for your head that day).
* Let me add; very expensive.
Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by Nobody: 11:54pm On Sep 03, 2014
Tradition demands that both men and women must remain virgins before they gey married. any man that eventually sleeps with a girl(whether or not she gets pregnant)must marry the girl or face the laws of the land. Before seeing the girl's parents,he must fufill the requirement that qualifies him to own a wife that he would be taking care of for the rest of his life.Now my question goes to the so called traditionalists here- How many of you are virgins? How many of you intend marrying the girl you are currently sleeping with? Do you have what it takes to take good care of who you are sleeping with? Obviously,Most of you do not practise what you preach so how different are you from a westernized african. Traditionalists my a*#!

1 Like

Re: 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins by kinharold(m): 8:34am On Sep 04, 2014
koyyes: Tradition demands that both men and women must remain virgins before they gey married. any man that eventually sleeps with a girl(whether or not she gets pregnant)must marry the girl or face the laws of the land. Before seeing the girl's parents,he must fufill the requirement that qualifies him to own a wife that he would be taking care of for the rest of his life.Now my question goes to the so called traditionalists here- How many of you are virgins? How many of you intend marrying the girl you are currently sleeping with? Do you have what it takes to take good care of who you are sleeping with? Obviously,Most of you do not practise what you preach so how different are you from a westernized african. Traditionalists my a*#!

Guy, which particular tradition/culture are you referring to? or dd you forget that different culture/ethnic group have different tradition. Most cultures and traditions are not against sex before marriage. But like in most part of Igbo tradition, you dont marry a bride that is (obviously) pregnant, you must wait for her to deliver.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

More Love: Intercultural Weddings / How Much Do I Need To Have A Modest, Cost Effective Wedding? / 10 Types Of People You Find At Every Owambe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.