Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:35 AM

Smiley on cellphones. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Smiley on cellphones. (2081 Views)

Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? / Beware Of Cellphones / Things You Should Know About Cellphones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smiley on cellphones. by whizkid(f): 10:51am On May 09, 2005
Just wondering if someone can send and receive smilies on cellphones. I have some on my Nokia phone and have tried sending to another Nokia phone but the animation didn't come out well. Should your phone have a particular feature to support smilies or what? Anybody out there with answers?
Re: Smiley on cellphones. by Seun(m): 12:46pm On May 09, 2005
You can simply use the standard smiley shortcuts in your text:
:-) ;-) :-( :-D

If the person at the other end understands what those smileys mean, then you have communicated. Smileys don't have to be converted into graphics for people to understand their meaning! Smileys were originally used for pure text messaging on computer networks. The smiley graphics were added later.

2 Likes

Re: Smiley on cellphones. by Hunter(m): 1:31pm On May 09, 2005
Some phone's have a feature (mine does) that automatically convert's : ) to smiley or similar so have a poke around for it, I would be careful about inserting them though you might end up paying for a MMS for insterting a tiny little smiley sad
Re: Smiley on cellphones. by whizkid(f): 2:11pm On May 09, 2005
seun:

You can simply use the standard smiley shortcuts in your text:
:-)  ;-)  :-(  :-D

If the person at the other end understands what those smileys mean, then you have communicated.  Smileys don't have to be converted into graphics for people to understand their meaning!  Smileys were originally used for pure text messaging on computer networks.  The smiley graphics were added later.

So why would I want to go back to the old style? or restrict the number of smilies I use to the standard ones? or even bother myself with cramming smilies so that I know what they stand for when someone send the shortcut?

@ Hidden Hunter. What model of phone do you use?
Re: Smiley on cellphones. by mamba(m): 6:46am On May 10, 2005
Most current colour screen phones produced from 2004 upwards can display smileys.

A smiley e.g. ;-) consists of 3 characters only, while a page of an SMS consists of 160 characters therefore you can input about 50 smileys in an SMS which will cost you only =N=15

All sonyericsson, sagem and siemens phones with colour screen has this function.
Re: Smiley on cellphones. by whizkid(f): 3:56pm On May 10, 2005
Many thanks everybody cheesy
Re: Smiley on cellphones. by uthamaputi: 12:22pm On May 18, 2011
Thanks,

(1) (Reply)

Samsung Galaxy Discover(A Budget Friendly Phone) / My Blackberry (bold 2) Camera Is Not Working Anymore / Android Phone With Best Battery Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.