Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,125 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:41 AM

Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? (6715 Views)

Beware Of Cellphones / Things You Should Know About Cellphones / Smiley on cellphones. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by Toobalist: 6:18pm On Dec 26, 2012
Almost everybody has a cellphone nowadays. The other day I was off work and heading home, I got into the elevator and I couldnt help to notice that everybody was on his cellphone. We were like 6 people and nobody was interacting with each other. It was kinda feeling weird and I came to a conclusion that technology sometimes like cellphone make us anti social ..

Do you agree?

1 Like

Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by foruma(m): 5:54am On Dec 27, 2012
Yes. It does. Been in that situation myself. Most people won't interact in an elevator anyway.
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by Iaz93: 9:28am On Dec 27, 2012
Yes oh... My own na inside bus
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 27, 2012
No oooh!! they make us Uncle-Social grin

1 Like

Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by Maleeq(m): 9:31am On Dec 27, 2012
You see folks on a "date", each smiling and chuckling, not at each other, but at their phones while they chat away! They only make eye contact when one laughs out louder and decides to show the partner the "fun" on his/her phones! grin

7 Likes

Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by ITbomb(m): 9:31am On Dec 27, 2012
Phones and social networks making people antisocial?
What a world

1 Like

Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by decode55(m): 9:34am On Dec 27, 2012
Maleeq: You see folks on a "date", each smiling and chuckling, not at each other, but at their phones while they chat away! They only make eye contact when one laughs out louder and decides to show the partner the "fun" on his/her phones! grin
lol!! yeah bro.. you're so on point there
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by slimyem: 9:37am On Dec 27, 2012
Yes,they do!
Sad but true!

1 Like

Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by adesogbon(m): 9:45am On Dec 27, 2012
Looking it from my own perspective it makes us Anti-social,especially in nigeria don't no about d other countries
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by BabaAlabi: 9:47am On Dec 27, 2012
People feel more comfortable with others when there is a considerable distance between them....There's a guy I know who can toast any girl expertly through a phone call but this same guy stammers when a girl is near us in reality
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by timbros(m): 9:58am On Dec 27, 2012
One day we were about 4 guys discussing football and catching our fun when all of a sudden it looks like it was plaaned. Everyone's phone start ringing...o'boy see as everyone find corner start to make call. Na so our football arguement end like that... grin grin

Btw I made first page!! Wooohooo!!
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by Nobody: 10:07am On Dec 27, 2012
Very true cus pple can do and say tinz over d phone dat dey cant do in person eg insulting gej cus i know most of u cant do it on tv,toasting a girl cus u can decide d personality u want to display while chatting,etc.d person-person distance makes us feel safer in a social sense bcus no one is analysing u and making u feel self-conscious or uncomfortable
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by mazinaija: 10:08am On Dec 27, 2012
No
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by Nobody: 10:10am On Dec 27, 2012
with all this pinging everywhere......hmmmm......instead of talking to someone beside you, you're pressing a fone.......that is the definition of antisocial IMO
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by francis247(m): 10:22am On Dec 27, 2012
very very!
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by Emmajide(f): 12:14pm On Dec 27, 2012
I think it does cos most times I chat and browse without even talkin to those around me
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by FKO1(m): 12:54pm On Dec 27, 2012
*yawns* anoda boring topic dat made FP
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by OgidiOlu3(m): 1:48pm On Dec 27, 2012
What an irony!
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by Sijo01(f): 2:35pm On Dec 27, 2012
Gulty as charged!
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by richfaxy: 5:59pm On Dec 27, 2012
U find in most home today, Wife is on her BB chatting with God knows who
and husband is doing same and they could go for hours non talking.
I ll say to a large extent, it has set some families aprat in the sense that
a little quarrel of couples, they run to their BB and find solace in their friends
and admirers and gradually, the distance starts creeping in.
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by PedroJP(m): 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
wetin i get to chat with ma neighbour kwanu ? Na phone things ooooo
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by ektbear: 7:08pm On Dec 27, 2012
I dunno. I like cell phones, I think they make socializing easier. Especially text messaging.

I've lost lots of useful #s because rather than entering them into my phone directly, I wrote them on some scrap of paper (which I subsequently misplaced).
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by dridowu: 7:10pm On Dec 27, 2012
Speechless
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by Afam4eva(m): 7:11pm On Dec 27, 2012
We have to define what it means to socialize. Do you know we're doing just that on this thread even with our laptops and mobile phones.
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by huninaija(f): 7:11pm On Dec 27, 2012
Yes it does, iv seen families of about 7 each of them on there mobile device (blackberry), in the same house acting like strangers to each other all because of phone or ipad... Very sad!

But i'm also guilty of this as well, especially when i missed my chances of speaking to this hot guy because i had my beats by dre headphones in.. embarassed grin
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by alfredo4u(m): 7:16pm On Dec 27, 2012
666 is d outcome
Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by mrrock: 7:16pm On Dec 27, 2012
No. Afterall multiple Nairalanders reported communicating a dead man on phone few days ago.

1 Like

Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 27, 2012
no.

if you are already someone who stays to yourself, it would be no different.
you'd just utilize more apps and perhaps play games on your phone to entertain yourself.

if you are a social/talkative person, you'd be the same way as in using social media sites, texting a lot, tweeting; etc.

1 Like

Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by anitank(f): 7:21pm On Dec 27, 2012
Cell phones also keep u away from God.

Before now, when I wake up in the morning, the first thing I did was pick up my phone to check my notifications and messages instead of praying and thanking God for a new day. Even in church, once I see the LED blinking, I get restless and tempted to see who it was and maybe reply back, distracting me from anything going on inside the church.

I had to stop by switching off the phone every night before I sleep and I never put it on till am done praying.

@topic, it doesn't really make u antisocial, but physically disconnected from anything and everything happening around you which isn't exactly a compliment

6 Likes

Re: Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? by samfibby(m): 7:25pm On Dec 27, 2012
Living a life built around smart phone allows people who are naturally introverts and unable to start or sustain a ten minutes discussion carve a lifestyle of their taste. Though into technology and stuffs, i hardly use the social media apps like some people do. Socially, psychologically, it would definitely take a toll. But who cares, the telcos and phone manufacturers are profiting heavily from this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Glo 200mb And More For 200 Naira / Infinix X-band (XBO1) Smart Watch: A Wearable Technology / Two ways to make free calls in Nigeria both day and night legally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.