Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story (2720 Views)

3 Corps Members In Taraba to repeat Service Year For Misconduct / How To Print Call Up Letter....batch A15 Prospective Corp Members / Decamped From Nysc Batch C 2014 Camp: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by geekybabe(f): 8:06pm On Aug 31, 2014
Hi everyone. I am presently a corps member rounding up my service year and I would like to share a few tips and lessons which I believe prospective and current corp members could learn a couple of things from.
Its so normal to have the hype about wanting to serve and wear that ridiculous khaki.. lol, but the truth is NYSC is overrated. It is just a scheme that many of our corrupt leaders are making millions from and really dont care much about the average Nigerian youth.
Now hear me well, an average percent of the NYSC staf, have the passion and understand what the scheme is about and try to do their job despite the corruption and crap in the system. But a larger percentage dont really care about you, your khaki or your PPA

I was opportuned to be posted to one of the fairly industrial states in Nigeria, and I was with high hopes on camp especially when the madam state director said she would make sure most engineers (yes, I am one) and medical personnel and a some other graduate professionals get posted to places related to their field of study. Lol, this naija sef.

And so it started. I had opportunity to even sort it out on camp, and get a good ppa for myself, at least in a city where I would av opportunities to add value to myself, but I just believed the madam gullibly. In the end I found myself being posted to some secondary school in remote village with no light and good housing condition.

I was devasted. But I quickly redeployed to a much better town (at least not a village) when I had the opportunity. I got an offer to be an ICT personnel (at least that was what the headteacher said when I came) in a school in an army barracks in the same town. I was not excited but at least, staying in a barracks was more better that in some village somwhere.

8 months down the line I cant say I it was the best decision ever. i ended up teaching primary school kids. Most of my colleagues in camp who were smart ended up getting good jobs in the city just a few months after we started serving. Most of them just went to PPAs to sign monthly clearances and all. LISTEN. You can say its wrong and its illegal against the NYSC scheme but what then is right in this country?

At least, they have added value to themselves. They have gained some hands on experience in the field and are much more confident. They had access to amenities in the cities, and they were open to more opportunities, and yet they dont have two heads. In the end its gonna be us, all of us looking for jobs, opportunities in the 'labor' market.

So to all the prospective corps members, PLEASE if u can help it, Make sure u get a good PPA for yourselves somehow, and also forget the bullshit 19800. The money CAN NEVER be enough to spend sef. UNDERSTAND NOW that the only way service year can be useful is if u add value 100% to yourself in ur career, in skills acquisition (IMPORTANT), and also psychologically, intellectually and spiritually.
MY piece of advice::

1. First understand that it is YOUR service year, and not anybodys business. Dont let anybody make u to do a stupid decision out of pressure. If you have to redeploy do it at all costs if u can. Dont waste that opportunity to add value.

. For those who spend that one year 'of freedom' visiting their partners and living a reckless life, its not worth it.travelling around wastes money and precious time. Dont expose your life to everlasting regrets. (pregnancy, abortion, stds, HIV or strange SOUL-TIES). Make up your mind to live a decent lifestyle, for the sake of your future. NYSC is just a passing 11 months. At least 60% of corps members live a reckless sexual life. i saw a lot. ITS not worth it really. 1 year is just to small to allow your destiny to be tampered with in the name of sex.

3. for all its worth, that 3 weeks in camp is just a flying deception. Dont be carried away by the groove, the fun, the partying. Because in the end, that last day of camp u will be left on your own. Some of the friends you have made you might never see them again. Focus on the experience, and enjoy it with your senses intact. Camp is always fun.. but dont mix with the wrong set of people and give yourself a bad name. Make friends with only SMART and FOCUSED people

4. Understand that after the one year, Job search realities start immediately. So dont wait till then to start looking for a job. Make yourself employable during that one year. Invest in yourself. Professional certifications are always cheaper for corps members. Avail yourself of every opportunity and add RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE to yourself. Dont focus too much on that 19800. INVEST in yourself, with the money and look at the bigger picture after NYSC. Never have an idle moment.

5. Dont also be careless with your life spiritually. Many corpers forget they are on a strange mans land where they are posted to and just live care-free lives. NO. have a sense of spiritual consciousness always. Belong to a good church, or whatever course you believe in. NCCF, NACC, MCF alone are not enough, but u can join them IF you see that the one around you is cool and serious. Cause, all these bodies too have their own internal issues.. lol (topic for another day).

6. Finally, JUST commit your ways into Gods hand and trust that the year will be a great and fulfilling one. Wishing you all the best...

N>B. Sorry for the long epistle, but I know It would be worth it.
.. and if you end up in a school, just impart those kids positively. add value to them, and make sure something good comes out of the service year no matter what. smiley

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by MissIndependent(f): 8:18pm On Aug 31, 2014
Nice one geekybabe. kiss
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by Xtargold(f): 8:55pm On Aug 31, 2014
Thanks a lot dear.God bless you.
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by RFella(m): 2:40pm On Sep 01, 2014
Nice one babe....am really impressed with ur write up...am an intending batch 'C' corper, and already made up my mind on the things you just said, you just took it out of my mouth! Kudos!!!
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by Horlawoomey(m): 3:54pm On Sep 01, 2014
Thanks for the piece of advice. I respect female engineers a lot.
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by shinawaju(m): 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2014
RFella: Nice one babe....am really impressed with ur write up...am an intending batch 'C' corper, and already made up my mind on the things you just said, you just took it out of my mouth! Kudos!!!
;-
boss, i'm also an intending batch c corper and i want to influence it but i need help on how to go about it. I will apprec8 if u can help. BTW Nice and inspiring write up
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by RFella(m): 1:16pm On Sep 02, 2014
shinawaju: ;-
boss, i'm also an intending batch c corper and i want to influence it but i need help on how to go about it. I will apprec8 if u can help. BTW Nice and inspiring write up

Ok, I just made contact with a serving corper on how to go about it...hopefully, once he gives me d details, I"ll pm u
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by shinawaju(m): 6:32pm On Sep 04, 2014
RFella:

Ok, I just made contact with a serving corper on how to go about it...hopefully, once he gives me d details, I"ll pm u

jah bless u. Can i av ur digits
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by RFella(m): 11:59am On Sep 05, 2014
shinawaju:
jah bless u. Can i av ur digits

Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by ojsmscom(m): 7:17pm On Sep 05, 2014
GET ONE GIG OF MTN FOR N1,600 FOR ONE MONTH DURATION
CALL 08154834309
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by amii131(f): 1:21pm On Sep 06, 2014
nice update kudos. ....@shinawaju i dey ur back o@r.fella hope i can still inbox you still a forth coming batch c Corp member.
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by shinawaju(m): 7:17am On Sep 07, 2014
amii131: nice update kudos. ....@shinawaju i dey ur back o@r.fella hope i can still inbox you still a forth coming batch c Corp member.
Nothing do u. God dey na
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by Opetech(m): 6:38pm On Sep 08, 2014
geekybabe: Hi everyone. I am presently a corps member rounding up my service year and I would like to share a few tips and lessons which I believe prospective and current corp members could learn a couple of things from.
Its so normal to have the hype about wanting to serve and wear that ridiculous khaki.. lol, but the truth is NYSC is overrated. It is just a scheme that many of our corrupt leaders are making millions from and really dont care much about the average Nigerian youth.
Now hear me well, an average percent of the NYSC staf, have the passion and understand what the scheme is about and try to do their job despite the corruption and crap in the system. But a larger percentage dont really care about you, your khaki or your PPA

I was opportuned to be posted to one of the fairly industrial states in Nigeria, and I was with high hopes on camp especially when the madam state director said she would make sure most engineers (yes, I am one) and medical personnel and a some other graduate professionals get posted to places related to their field of study. Lol, this naija sef.

And so it started. I had opportunity to even sort it out on camp, and get a good ppa for myself, at least in a city where I would av opportunities to add value to myself, but I just believed the madam gullibly. In the end I found myself being posted to some secondary school in remote village with no light and good housing condition.

I was devasted. But I quickly redeployed to a much better town (at least not a village) when I had the opportunity. I got an offer to be an ICT personnel (at least that was what the headteacher said when I came) in a school in an army barracks in the same town. I was not excited but at least, staying in a barracks was more better that in some village somwhere.

8 months down the line I cant say I it was the best decision ever. i ended up teaching primary school kids. Most of my colleagues in camp who were smart ended up getting good jobs in the city just a few months after we started serving. Most of them just went to PPAs to sign monthly clearances and all. LISTEN. You can say its wrong and its illegal against the NYSC scheme but what then is right in this country?

At least, they have added value to themselves. They have gained some hands on experience in the field and are much more confident. They had access to amenities in the cities, and they were open to more opportunities, and yet they dont have two heads. In the end its gonna be us, all of us looking for jobs, opportunities in the 'labor' market.

So to all the prospective corps members, PLEASE if u can help it, Make sure u get a good PPA for yourselves somehow, and also forget the bullshit 19800. The money CAN NEVER be enough to spend sef. UNDERSTAND NOW that the only way service year can be useful is if u add value 100% to yourself in ur career, in skills acquisition (IMPORTANT), and also psychologically, intellectually and spiritually.
MY piece of advice::

1. First understand that it is YOUR service year, and not anybodys business. Dont let anybody make u to do a stupid decision out of pressure. If you have to redeploy do it at all costs if u can. Dont waste that opportunity to add value.

. For those who spend that one year 'of freedom' visiting their partners and living a reckless life, its not worth it.travelling around wastes money and precious time. Dont expose your life to everlasting regrets. (pregnancy, abortion, stds, HIV or strange SOUL-TIES). Make up your mind to live a decent lifestyle, for the sake of your future. NYSC is just a passing 11 months. At least 60% of corps members live a reckless sexual life. i saw a lot. ITS not worth it really. 1 year is just to small to allow your destiny to be tampered with in the name of sex.

3. for all its worth, that 3 weeks in camp is just a flying deception. Dont be carried away by the groove, the fun, the partying. Because in the end, that last day of camp u will be left on your own. Some of the friends you have made you might never see them again. Focus on the experience, and enjoy it with your senses intact. Camp is always fun.. but dont mix with the wrong set of people and give yourself a bad name. Make friends with only SMART and FOCUSED people

4. Understand that after the one year, Job search realities start immediately. So dont wait till then to start looking for a job. Make yourself employable during that one year. Invest in yourself. Professional certifications are always cheaper for corps members. Avail yourself of every opportunity and add RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE to yourself. Dont focus too much on that 19800. INVEST in yourself, with the money and look at the bigger picture after NYSC. Never have an idle moment.

5. Dont also be careless with your life spiritually. Many corpers forget they are on a strange mans land where they are posted to and just live care-free lives. NO. have a sense of spiritual consciousness always. Belong to a good church, or whatever course you believe in. NCCF, NACC, MCF alone are not enough, but u can join them IF you see that the one around you is cool and serious. Cause, all these bodies too have their own internal issues.. lol (topic for another day).

6. Finally, JUST commit your ways into Gods hand and trust that the year will be a great and fulfilling one. Wishing you all the best...

N>B. Sorry for the long epistle, but I know It would be worth it.
.. and if you end up in a school, just impart those kids positively. add value to them, and make sure something good comes out of the service year no matter what. smiley

See sensible post, by the way, happy birthday

1 Like

Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 15, 2017
I'm a PCM, I just read the epistle... Thanks a lot for the word of wisdom. Hope life is treating you fine now? smiley wink
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by geekybabe(f): 10:06am On Apr 15, 2017
CaesarX:
I'm a PCM, I just read the epistle... Thanks a lot for the word of wisdom. Hope life is treating you fine now? smiley wink

Lol. I'm doing really great. Make sure you enjoy your service yr no matter what.
Re: Prospective Corp Members.. Important Tips For A Great Service Year.. MY story by Nobody: 11:09am On Apr 15, 2017
geekybabe:

Lol. I'm doing really great. Make sure you enjoy your service yr no matter what.
Thanks, I will do just that smiley

(1) (Reply)

Christmas Break / How To Get A Youth Corper / I Have A Bugging Question On 2017 NYSC.. Please I Need Clarification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.