Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,703 members, 7,955,653 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:02 PM

5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus (36877 Views)

EBOLA: This Is What US Gave To Nigeria To Contain Spread Of The Virus / Baby Who Had Been "Cured" Of HIV Now Has The Virus Resurfacing / Can Rats Carry The Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by heavenmade(m): 11:11pm On Aug 31, 2014
Underlining the immense risks taken by those working in West Africa to understand and combat the worsening Ebola outbreak, five co-authors of an important new Ebola study were killed by the virus before their research was published.

The study, published Thursday in the journal Science, found that the virus has mutated during the outbreak — something that could hinder diagnosis and treatment of the disease.

The five deceased co-authors, who were from Sierra Leone’s Kenema Government Hospital Lassa fever facility, worked with the study’s lead researchers at Harvard University to examine the deadliest Ebola outbreak in history. In all, the research involved more than 50 co-authors.

It’s an extraordinary study, and it came with an extraordinary toll. Pardi Sabeti, whose Harvard lab oversaw the genetic sequencing at the center of the research, told The Post’s Brady Dennis that the the experience of working on the international study was “one of the most rewarding and devastating experiences of my life,” with the thrill of conducting the collaborative research tempered by the sadness of losing numerous colleagues who were working on the front lines.

The study demonstrates just how effective an international research effort can be in the middle of a global health crisis. Researchers sequenced the virus genomes from 78 patients in the current outbreak, starting with its early days in the spring.

Among other things, the international team of researchers managed to trace the outbreak in Sierra Leone to a single funeral in the country. Researchers discovered that a pregnant Kenema Government Hospital Ebola patient had, along with about a dozen other women who were also infected, attended the funeral of a traditional healer who was treating Ebola victims on the Sierra Leone-Guinea border.

On the same day the findings were published, Science wrote a separate piece about the five researchers who died while working on the study.

Mbalu Fonnie, an experienced nurse at the Kenema Government Hospital, was among the five victims. Her specialty? Managing advanced Lassa fever infections — a disease with symptoms similar to Ebola — in pregnant women. Fonnie was caring for one of her co-workers, who was pregnant and infected with Ebola, when she contracted the disease herself. According to study co-author Robert Garry, Fonnie was the “matron of nursing” at the Sierra Leone hospital.

Alex Moigboi, Fonnie’s fellow nurse, who contracted Ebola while treating the same pregnant colleague. He had more than 10 years of experience working with Lassa fever patients.

Alice Kovoma was also infected while helping Fonnie and Moigboi treat their colleague. Garry told Science that Kovoma was “a wonderful person … very dedicated and professional with a devotion to the patients and her teammates.” She was a nurse for six years in the Lassa fever ward.

Mohamed Fullah worked as a lab technician on the study. He taught at Eastern Polytechnic College in Sierra Leone, and also worked in the Lassa fever facility. His colleagues believe that Fullah contracted the disease from a family member — several relatives had died of the virus in the current outbreak, which has killed at least 1,552 people, according to the World Health Organization.

Sheik Umar Khan was the director of the Ministry of Health and Sanitation’s Lassa fever program and was directly involved in Sierra Leone’s national response to the Ebola outbreak. He was a well-respected expert on both Lassa fever and Ebola. At the time of his death, in late July, Khan was hailed as a national hero. He treated more than 100 patients in the outbreak before he contracted the disease himself.

In a June interview with Reuters, Khan spoke of the dangers health-care workers face while working with Ebola: “I am afraid for my life, I must say, because I cherish my life. Health workers are prone to the disease because we are the first port of call for somebody who is sickened by disease. Even with the full protective clothing you put on, you are at risk.

Khan was treated at a Doctors Without Borders facility after contracting the virus. His death prompted an international discussion after Doctors Without Borders was forced to defend its decision against giving Khan an experimental drug to treat the disease.

On the same day the study was published, the WHO warned that the current outbreak could infect more than 20,000 people before it’s over. On Friday, officials in Senegal announced that the country had its first confirmed case of Ebola.

Five countries — Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea, Nigeria and now Senegal — have confirmed Ebola infections within their borders. (Ebola cases have been reported in Congo, too, but health officials there have said it’s a different strain of the deadly virus, not connected to the outbreak in West Africa.)

There have been 3,069 Ebola infections recorded by the WHO, and more than half of those infected have died, according to the WHO.
Source: Washington Post

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by justi4jesu(f): 7:46am On Sep 01, 2014
Are you kidding me shocked shocked shocked

Like a Dog killing its owner..

2 Likes

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by eleojo23: 7:46am On Sep 01, 2014
With this kind of concerted effort, Ebola shall be put in it's place - in the pages of forgotten history. Their labours will not be in vain.

14 Likes

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 01, 2014
VERY SADsad MAY THEIR SOULS R.I.P

E NO GO BETTER FOR THIS YEYE EBOLAangryangry

7 Likes

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by Neduzze5(m): 7:46am On Sep 01, 2014
The hunter becomes the hunted!

Its not fair really, people that are working tirelessly to stop the epidemic that is hell bent on destroying the human race is killed by the same virus they are trying to stop.

May God give their various families the grace to bear the grief. Amen! embarassed

18 Likes

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 01, 2014
That's so sad...
May theirs souls rest in Perfect Peace

7 Likes

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by sirjohnson(m): 7:48am On Sep 01, 2014
Tired of all these. I just read this morning again that New cases of Ebola have just been confirmed in Port Harcourt. Read it [url=xp0eajaif6r]HERE[/url]
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by ebolablast: 7:49am On Sep 01, 2014
[in sound sultans voice] One day bush meat go catch the hunter

1 Like

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by moneyhungry(m): 7:49am On Sep 01, 2014
jizos!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by adesewa4uyahoo(f): 7:51am On Sep 01, 2014
Nawah o.....i perceive d whites created this virus and tested d potency in africa....chai dere is God o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by omoredia: 7:51am On Sep 01, 2014
Get it

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by igbsam(m): 7:51am On Sep 01, 2014
This is serious o. This virus so, i hope its not some kind of biological weapon tested on the african soil to see how effective it is. Watched an American Series Movie (The 100) where it was used.
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by Neduzze5(m): 7:51am On Sep 01, 2014
Good Lord, save us from the tentacles of this deadly disease. Amen!
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by Omexonomy: 7:52am On Sep 01, 2014
Ebola fever showing no mercy since inception.
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by aholiab(m): 7:52am On Sep 01, 2014
its called professional hazards. rip
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by ednut1(m): 7:52am On Sep 01, 2014
why do i believe ebola was man made
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by BashirAhmad1(m): 7:53am On Sep 01, 2014
If I were a doctor is hardly to risk my life for treating patients with EVD. May souls of those who died from this epidemic rest in perfect peace.

1 Like

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by tommykiwi(m): 7:54am On Sep 01, 2014
We really need God's intervention in dis Ebola crisis..God help us..
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by olayinka63: 7:54am On Sep 01, 2014
i prayed we shouldnt be victim of this virus amen

2 Likes

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by bunmconig(m): 7:56am On Sep 01, 2014
Rip angry
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by Libkid(m): 7:58am On Sep 01, 2014
igbsam: This is serious o. This virus so, i hope its not some kind of biological weapon tested on the african soil to see how effective it is. Watched an American Series Movie (The 100) where it was used.
abi .the 100 is exactly wats happening in africa
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by ajidesola: 8:01am On Sep 01, 2014
R.I.P to d Lost souls
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 01, 2014
RIP to the scientists. May we all be protected from this crazy virus.

Find pictures of the fallen heroes (scientists) here www.nairaland.com/1880665/fallen-heroes-ebola-claims-lives
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by ajidesola: 8:03am On Sep 01, 2014
Honestly we nid Gods intervention
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by tinuolababy(f): 8:04am On Sep 01, 2014
America at work
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by UrbanMystique: 8:05am On Sep 01, 2014
ajidesola: Honestly we nid Gods intervention

Neduzze5: Good Lord, save us from the tentacles of this deadly disease. Amen!
who created the ebola in the first place? Init good lord?

3 Likes

Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by datguru: 8:07am On Sep 01, 2014
undecided
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by spiro4real(f): 8:08am On Sep 01, 2014
It's well with their family!
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by emmyw(m): 8:08am On Sep 01, 2014
Chei
Re: 5 Scientists Who Studied Ebola Killed By The Virus by pesty100(m): 8:08am On Sep 01, 2014
Like one of my friends said, if this ebola had been existing(since long) then it should have wiped out the human race unknownly.... Why is it that it was just discovered(1997 or so)... It more than an ordinary virus, maybe a biological weapon gone wrong

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Members Of A Family Die In A Room In Oyigbo, Rivers State (Graphic Pics) / How To Get Rid Of Constipation Fast / Old Woman's Massive Goitre Removed, All Smiles (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.