Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,294 members, 7,818,993 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! (26299 Views)

Diy-home Made Facial Mask / Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola / Man From Nigeria Tested For Ebola In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by ulster: 3:18pm On Sep 01, 2014
In this ebola season where cost of hand-sanitisers have literally trebled and the composition of these hand-sanitisers are in doubt, why not make your own home-made hand sanitizer from ingredients you select. This is an excellent project for kids, now that schools are not resuming soon and you'll save money, protect yourself from germs, and can customize the scent of the hand sanitizer, and be sure of the composition of the hand sanitisers you are using this period. It is not rocket science but simple chemistry, so lets go:?

2/3 cup 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol
1/3 cup aloe vera gel
8-10 drops essential oil, optional (such as lavendar, tea-tree, vanilla, peppermint, grapefruit)
bowl and spoon
funnel
recycled liquid soap or hand sanitizer bottle

Nothing could be easier! Simply mix the ingredients together and then use the funnel to pour them into the bottle. Screw the pump back onto the bottle and you're ready to go.

Wash your hands regularly with soap, apply your home made hand-sanitiser and put your trust in Jesus and be ebola free!
God bless wink

77 Likes 20 Shares

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 01, 2014
This is the most reasonable topic I've seen today!!
Thanks OP

20 Likes

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 01, 2014
"Necessity is truly the mother of invention"

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Iolite(f): 3:42pm On Sep 01, 2014
Is the Aloe vera compulsory? Cos I can't stand the taste if my hands get close to my lips.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by ulster: 3:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
Iolite: Is the Aloe vera compulsory? Cos I can't stand the taste if my hands get close to my lips.
It is optional, although it has antibacterial and antifungal properties, and it also does double duty as a moisturizer, keeping your hands soft and safe from getting dried out.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2014
Pictures of your prototype are highly welcome. smiley

1 Like

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Iolite(f): 5:02pm On Sep 01, 2014
ulster:
It is optional, although it has antibacterial and antifungal properties, and it also does double duty as a moisturizer, keeping your hands soft and safe from getting dried out.

That's good to know. Thanks
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 01, 2014
Cool... I think i'll try it out, but without aloe-vera gel. #first time on FP, Yippie! smiley
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by ulster: 5:43pm On Sep 01, 2014
Wsfirstlady: Cool... I think i'll try it out, but without aloe-vera gel.
good-luck!
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by ulster: 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2014
krall: Pictures of your prototype are highly welcome. smiley
sorry none to upload!
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by mamaoge: 12:26pm On Sep 05, 2014
Great concept! For those of you running away from aloevera, don't you think you need something that will give it the jelly feel wink

2 Likes

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by ulster: 5:36pm On Sep 09, 2014
mods.....at this season, this should be front page pls!
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by phreakabit(m): 5:42pm On Sep 09, 2014
In the absence of raw ethanol would using ethanol based alcoholic products be an option?
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by ulster: 7:02pm On Sep 09, 2014
phreakabit: In the absence of raw ethanol would using ethanol based alcoholic products be an option?
using an ethanol based product will reduce the composition of the ethanol, chemically, the covalent bond binding hydroxyl group to carbon might be broken during the formulation of the ethanol based product, meaning that it is no longer a potent ethyl alcohol, thereby reducing the active ingredient in the home made sanitiser. I would strongly suggest that you use raw ethanol........well distilled local gin- ogogoro could be a good substitute!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by phreakabit(m): 7:36pm On Sep 09, 2014
ulster:
using an ethanol based product will reduce the composition of the ethanol, chemically, the covalent bond binding hydroxyl group to carbon might be broken during the formulation of the ethanol based product, meaning that it is no longer a potent ethyl alcohol, thereby reducing the active ingredient in the home made sanitiser. I would strongly suggest that you use raw ethanol........well distilled local gin- ogogoro could be a good substitute!
Aye aye captain, roger that! BTW, hope I can add the ethanol to purchased hand sanitizers, got one with alcohol, but I am not too sure about the volume of alcohol in it.
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
nice one OP.
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Babyboy1986(m): 8:14pm On Sep 09, 2014
K.
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by CharlieMaria(m): 8:14pm On Sep 09, 2014
No pinshure grin?
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by uken73(m): 8:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
Nice one. Now no one has an excuse for not using a hand sanitizer.

@Op, is aloe vera gel something that can be bought off the shelf?
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
oya my children...make una come ooo....lets do dis....

1 Like

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by rattlesnake(m): 8:16pm On Sep 09, 2014
Hmmmm
This forever living products cult are here angry with style
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by segzicres(m): 8:16pm On Sep 09, 2014
best thread ever! This will also help those that wanna go into production and also crash prices of hand sanitizers
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by jnrbayano(m): 8:17pm On Sep 09, 2014
cool
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by ebolablast: 8:18pm On Sep 09, 2014
nice write up
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Lilimax(f): 8:18pm On Sep 09, 2014
Santizer recipe- Isopropyl alcohol - 90g, TEA- 2g, Carbopol - 5g, Fragrance - 0.05g , Water to add up to 100g...Add a little tint of colourant if you wish and thank me later smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by sirjohnson(m): 8:18pm On Sep 09, 2014
More detailed explanation plus video on the home made sanitiser Here

1 Like

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by tunmmyunited(m): 8:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
Noted
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by iceberylin(m): 8:21pm On Sep 09, 2014
Am on my way to make My own Hand Sanitizer wink

2 Likes

Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by Funniez: 8:21pm On Sep 09, 2014
Re: DIY: Home-made Hand Sanitiser; This Ebola Season! by NotNairalandi(m): 8:23pm On Sep 09, 2014
op...because you bring out your time and energy to teach the whole world these,thats how God will bringout His time and energy to protect you from this evil virus called EBULA.....Amen lipsrsealed

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ACEGID: New COVID-19 Strain In UK Was Dectected In Nigeria As Early As August 3 / Seven Tips To Avoid Monkeypox / 10 Of The World's Most Famous Conjoined Twins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.