Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,263 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep (14208 Views)

Easy Ways To Stay Awake While Studying At Night (FOR STUDENTS) / . / How Much Does It Cost To Study At Yabatech? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 01, 2014
S
tudying at night can be a very challenging task. Before we go into details, I would like to ask you as a college student these questions;

Do you find it difficult studying for more than one hour?
Do you always fall asleep while reading at night?
Do you find it difficult to wake up at night to Study?

If your answers all through are yes, then you need not worry, these are common challenges which students face. The following tips provided below will guide you towards great improvements on academics.

TIPS

Engage in less stressful and strenuous activities during the day. Siesta as well will help.

Eat your dinner as early as possible. Eating late keeps your digestive system at work during the night and more blood glucose and oxygen is channeled there instead of to the brain.

Eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of water to nourish your body and eat moderately for dinner. Brush your teeth before going to bed. Caffeine is not advisable.

Sleep early, you can time yourself with an alarm which would ring about 4 hours (or more) after youve slept. E.g. if you sleep by 9pm, you set your alarm for 1am or 2am.

When you are awake, quickly wash your face with cold water .Brushing your teeth at that moment stimulates the sensory receptors, keeps you awake and alert. Say a short prayer.

Study in a very bright environment .This is one of the reasons you find it difficult to sleep on a sunny day. Dim light would make you feel drowsy and fall asleep.

Do not study one subject for too long so you dont feel bored and dizzy. However study with frequent breaks of about 10 minutes to allow your mind ponder on what you are studying.

Keep you mobile phone or any other electronic device away to avoid distractions.

Visualize what you are studying, use mnemonics, stand up and teach an imaginary audience what you have studied.

Quickly glance through all you have studied and summarize.

16 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Raypawer(m): 3:40pm On Sep 01, 2014
take a rest at afternoon, feed well, drink enough water and keep water beside you so you can drink at interval, take your bath and feel fresh b4 u begin...

my little trick, nd least i forget, pray before u begin cos some sleep are not normal

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 01, 2014
Nice one raypower.
Some sleeps aint normal at all.

1 Like

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Uchechris06(m): 4:25pm On Sep 01, 2014
Akdegreat:

S
tudying at night can be a very challenging task. Before we go into details, I would like to ask you as a college student these questions;

If your answers all through are yes, then you need not worry, these are common challenges which students face. The following tips provided below will guide you towards great improvements on academics.

TIPS

Engage in less stressful and strenuous activities during the day. Siesta as well will help.

Eat your dinner as early as possible. Eating late keeps your digestive system at work during the night and more blood glucose and oxygen is channeled there instead of to the brain.

Eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of water to nourish your body and eat moderately for dinner. Brush your teeth before going to bed. Caffeine is not advisable.

Sleep early, you can time yourself with an alarm which would ring about 4 hours (or more) after youve slept. E.g. if you sleep by 9pm, you set your alarm for 1am or 2am.

When you are awake, quickly wash your face with cold water .Brushing your teeth at that moment stimulates the sensory receptors, keeps you awake and alert. Say a short prayer.

Study in a very bright environment .This is one of the reasons you find it difficult to sleep on a sunny day. Dim light would make you feel drowsy and fall asleep.

Do not study one subject for too long so you dont feel bored and dizzy. However study with frequent breaks of about 10 minutes to allow your mind ponder on what you are studying.

Keep you mobile phone or any other electronic device away to avoid distractions.

Visualize what you are studying, use mnemonics, stand up and teach an imaginary audience what you have studied.

gud tips. Wil practice it and i pray it wil work 4 me.

2 Likes

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
Uchechris06: gud tips. Wil practice it and i pray it wil work 4 me.

Definitely it will..
I hope to hear your testimony soon wink
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Emmafrancis: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2014
Great tips. For me , after I wakeup by 2am, I take my bath and brush my teeth, maybe drink a cup of tea. That way am able to trick my body into been fully alert. I can then read for as long as I want.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 01, 2014
Emmafrancis: Great tips. For me , after I wakeup by 2am, I take my bath and brush my teeth, maybe drink a cup of tea. That way am able to trick my body into been fully alert. I can then read for as long as I want.

Also, a genuine interest in what you are studying will sustain ur staying awake longer.

2 Likes

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Mrval20(m): 9:47pm On Sep 01, 2014
Nice and useful tips. I apply most of them myself. Only difference being that I wake up by 3:00/3:30am, exercise, brush, shower and dress up for school - I guess this sends the following message to my brain - "baby, it's a new day, let's roll!"....I then read (with full alertness) from that time to 7/8am and leave for school.
Just try to figure out what works for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 01, 2014
Wow. At first my friends saw d brushing as ridiculous, gud 2 knw it works for others as well.
Depending on what works for u, u could vary how long u sleep . As for me, its ntin less than 5hours of sleep then study follows.
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 02, 2014
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Psalmpy(m): 7:33pm On Sep 02, 2014
Putting forward this principle on my very first day in college
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jan 12, 2015
Akdegreat:

S

TIPS

not everyone likes to read at night. like me I don't! but I read during the day. after lecturers, I rest nd readsay 6pm to 10pm. depends tho. and even if it a lecture free day. I read early mornings and the usual evening. not everyone's health can take night reading. I love having my normal sleeping hrs coz I know how I feel wen I don't. I didn't make a first class but I made sth close to it. one should knw what works for you best!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by mrpackager(m): 3:29pm On Jan 12, 2015
gat to apply dix .....

JAMB TI DAORAN
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 12, 2015
Will try this out, hopefully it'll work out...tnx for †нε tips
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Skykid1208(m): 6:06pm On Jan 12, 2015
Nice one bosses
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by tbmas(m): 6:08pm On Jan 12, 2015
Nice one but I actually keep my phone beside me.... Reply sum msgs or play a game for 5mins befre I resume.... U know sleep and boredom cn b mean sumtyms
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 12, 2015
pinkiepetite:
not everyone likes to read at night. like me I don't! but I read during the day. after lecturers, I rest nd readsay 6pm to 10pm. depends tho. and even if it a lecture free day. I read early mornings and the usual evening. not everyone's health can take night reading. I love having my normal sleeping hrs coz I know how I feel wen I don't. I didn't make a first class but I made sth close to it. one should knw what works for you best!
That's smart of you. I read anytime. The nights are more calm and comfortable but I don't compromise my 6 hours of sleep. However I scheduled the study,I must have 6 hours of sleep else I'll not beat sleep.
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jan 12, 2015
ObiChiz08:
Will try this out, hopefully it'll work out...tnx for †нε tips

You are welcome Sir, replied your mail.
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 12, 2015
tbmas:
Nice one but I actually keep my phone beside me.... Reply sum msgs or play a game for 5mins befre I resume.... U know sleep and boredom cn b mean sumtyms

Lol...The phone can keep you awake but it will sure distract you.
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 12, 2015
mrpackager:
gat to apply dix .....

JAMB TI DAORAN

All the best. smiley
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nastydroid(m): 9:21pm On Jan 12, 2015
cool
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 12, 2015
Akdegreat:

You are welcome Sir, replied your mail.

I sent u another mail
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by tbmas(m): 9:58pm On Jan 13, 2015
Akdegreat:

Lol...The phone can keep you awake but it will sure distract you.
the phone keeps me awake for long I think it is worth it small distraction.....

1 Like

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Nobody: 12:54am On Jan 14, 2015
tbmas:
the phone keeps me awake for long I think it is worth it small distraction.....

Hahahaha..I agree with you brother.
I am guilty of the phone too because I browse while studying.
It's all about discipline o

2 Likes

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by DeSepiero(m): 11:56am On Apr 24, 2016
Nice one OP. You are a scholar indeed.
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by DeSepiero(m): 12:00pm On Apr 24, 2016
Uchechris06:
gud tips. Wil practice it and i pray it wil work 4 me.
Hi, did it work for you?
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by Fxwarrior: 12:20pm On Apr 24, 2016
Night reading is good especially during exams.
For me I spread mat and sleep on the hard floor with pillow as only comfort.
I set alarm 2:15am, 2:30am, 2:45am.
Why because if first alarm blows I might be tempted to 'bribe' the alarm but with second rarely third alarm, I know its no longer business as usual. I must ever stand up. Besides I don't place the alarm too close to me to avoid the 'bribing action' in the first place.

I wake up, wash my face, drink water. On extreme cases I put my feet into a bucket of cold water. Who born sleep?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by DeSepiero(m): 3:03pm On Apr 24, 2016
Fxwarrior:
Night reading is good especially during exams.
For me I spread mat and sleep on the hard floor with pillow as only comfort.
I set alarm 2:15am, 2:30am, 2:45am.
Why because if first alarm blows I might be tempted to 'bribe' the alarm but with second rarely third alarm, I know its no longer business as usual. I must ever stand up. Besides I don't place the alarm too close to me to avoid the 'bribing action' in the first place.

I wake up, wash my face, drink water. On extreme cases I put my feet into a bucket of cold water. Who born sleep?

Lol... Brother, You are a Legend mehn.
Guy, I go begin apply all this methods o. Using this technique couple with the OPs techniques would give me the bomb.

2 Likes

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by DanielGb(m): 4:23pm On Apr 24, 2016
Good info. actually, sleeping early works for me. I wake by 1 or 2 and read till early mormor. I like that part of eating very early. I notice it affect me. plus stress too. @Raypower: u ar right. some sleep are not normal o. Make we dey pray.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by DeSepiero(m): 8:00am On Apr 25, 2016
DanielGb:
Good info. actually, sleeping early works for me. I wake by 1 or 2 and read till early mormor. I like that part of eating very early. I notice it affect me. plus stress too. @Raypower: u ar right. some sleep are not normal o. Make we dey pray.

Yes DanielGb, sleeping early works for me too. I have learnt a lot from this thread. It should even be on Front Page.
Make person call Lalasticlala.
Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by DanielGb(m): 8:49am On Apr 25, 2016
DeSepiero:

Yes DanielGb, sleeping early works for me too. I have learnt a lot from this thread. It should even be on Front Page.
Make person call Lalasticlala.

Naso.
Lalasticlala come and see o. front page material.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Study At Night Without Falling Asleep by DanielGb(m): 9:24am On Apr 25, 2016
We can move it to the front page. Let us share the page.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There Any University That Can Give Admission To Her Second Choice Candidate? / Top 10 Worst Courses In Nigerian Universities With Low Job Prospect. / LAUTECH Expels Adeoti, Ex-Osun SSG’s Son, 3 Others, Suspends 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.