Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,565 members, 7,820,038 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Annointed Oil/handkerchief/water/e.t.c - Biblical Or Merchandising - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Annointed Oil/handkerchief/water/e.t.c - Biblical Or Merchandising (1505 Views)

Poll: Are these things Biblical or just merchandising

Biblical: 33% (1 vote)
Merchandising: 66% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Casting Of Lots- Biblical Or Demonic? / Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? / I Have Not Eaten Meat Since I Was Born(vegetarian). Is This Biblical Or Demonic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Annointed Oil/handkerchief/water/e.t.c - Biblical Or Merchandising by Okijajuju1(m): 7:52pm On Oct 27, 2008
Now this has got me wondering for a very very long time.

Its not unusual anymore to see purportedly annointed religious items being sold at church services anymore.
Top amongst then seems to be the handkerchief and oil. Hence my question, is that stuff even in the bible??
I thought the blood of JC was supposed to have substituted all other stuffs.
Re: Annointed Oil/handkerchief/water/e.t.c - Biblical Or Merchandising by JeSoul(f): 8:20pm On Oct 27, 2008
Acts 19:11
   God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.

So it is not entirely unbiblical BUT

Okija_juju:

Its not unusual anymore to see purportedly annointed religious items being sold at church services anymore.
Top amongst then seems to be the handkerchief and oil. Hence my question, is that stuff even in the bible??
I thought the blood of JC was supposed to have substituted all other stuffs.
  The selling of annointed clothes and oil etc is a twisted deviation and is inconsistent with biblical principles - God does not "sell" healings & miracles. While I believe God can heal a person thru many means, the way many 'pastors' go about this today is simply put wrong. They have turned the gospel of Christ into a profit-making venture - solely for the purpose of personal gain. Rest assured, this will not go unpunished on that last day.
Re: Annointed Oil/handkerchief/water/e.t.c - Biblical Or Merchandising by AKO1(m): 9:32pm On Oct 27, 2008
Speaking of merchandising:

Why can't people just be allowed buy their oil elsewhere, or are they deceived into believing that the church's own is more 'potent'? undecided\

Speaking of Biblical:

I agree with Jesoul that these things are not entirely unbiblical. What I have a problem with is when people pick out 'modus opeandis' from the bible and use them all the time, especially when we are not explicitly instructed to do so.

For example the scriptures tell us that we shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover. This is direct. On the other hand, Paul's use of the handkerchief was most likely spontaneous, as he was led by the Spirit of God, much like the way Jesus at one time spat in sand and rubbed the mix on a dude's eye to give him sight. Moreover, we are not instructed to go and do likewise. So it is much safer to make things we are explicitly instructed to do compulsory and leave the others only to be used as the Spirit of God directs.

(1) (Reply)

Do Nairaland Christians Detest Atheists? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: Our Sufficiency / Whom The Lord Bless, No One Can Curse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.