Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,352 members, 7,957,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:37 AM

Why Are You Leaving Your Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are You Leaving Your Job (591 Views)

9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job / 4 Better Ways To Answer "Why Are You Leaving Your Job?" / 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Are You Leaving Your Job by franzis(m): 9:46am On Sep 03, 2014
It never ceases to amaze me just how many people give very little thought to major career decisions.

Work is one of the most important parts of our lives and we probably spend more time with our colleagues in the office than we do at home with our loved ones.

Having a job that is satisfying and fulfilling can make a huge difference to your frame of mind and to the way that you feel. That is why I would always encourage people to think long and hard before making any major career decisions.

If you have decided that the time has come to move on to pastures new then the first question you should ask yourself is why you are looking for a new job.

You need to make sure that you are moving for all the right reasons. If you act in haste or for the wrong reasons then you could be making a very big mistake and run the risk of seriously damaging your career in the process.

It is also important not to act out of a fit of pique, for example if you have had a disagreement with somebody. Always give yourself a month or so to think things through – these sorts of decisions should be taken with an analytical rather than emotional view.

Of course, money is always going to be an important issue when it comes to work and it is important to be properly remunerated , but I am a firm believer that the quality of work on offer is just as crucial.

It is too easy to fall into the trap of assuming that the grass is going to be greener at a new place of work, but you need to look not only at what you’ll be doing now – but a year or more down the line. What are the opportunities for progression and development, and how much more responsibility will you be able to take on?

Having said all of the above I have always believed in setting myself personal targets and would expect some sort of career progression at least once every two to three years. Having clear goals is important as it stops you from drifting.

If you have been in a role for three or more years and haven’t progressed in terms of responsibility and pay, you need to ask yourself why you are standing still. That is the time to start thinking about moving on.

(1) (Reply)

5 Things To Do Tonight To Make Tomorrow An Excellent Day / Jobs And Interview / 5 Reasons Why You May Fail In Your Next Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.