Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job (24254 Views)

What Is The Best Way To Handle A Randy Boss Without Losing Your Job? / How Do I Turn Down My Boss' Advances Without Losing My Job? (please Advice) / 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by SaniSANOH(m): 9:50am On Jun 15, 2015

9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job

Finding smart ways to say no can be difficult especially when it comes to saying no to your boss. Often we find ourselves feeling like we are treading on eggshells when it comes to communicating with your superior in the workplace. While being careful with what you say and do is important, keeping your cool and knowing your limits is also vital. Below are 9 smart ways to say no to your boss without losing your job. Check them out and discover what works best for you and your situation.

1. Remind Your Boss Of Your Current Workload

Being that we all are human, we can only take on so much responsibility before life becomes a little too hard. Do not let it all stress you out to the point where you put your health and mentality at risk. Remind your boss of your current workload and projects you are working on.

By showing that you are at work on a variety of other important tasks, you show your boss that you have taken on some responsibility already and that you are working on completing them in a timely manner before you begin anything else. Do not be shy to use this technique. Saying no without expletively saying it in this case is a great way to keep everything neutral and as stress free as possible.

2. Say No Without Really Saying No

Have you ever heard of saying no without really saying it as? Certain ways to do so include, using your body language to convey the message and changing tone of voice without being offensive. Use expressions such as “When would you need this done by? I would love to help but…” Make sure you explain yourself clearly in order to convey the message that you cannot but avoid saying no to new projects out right to your boss. Instead think of ways to let your boss know that you would really rather not.

3. Plan On Making Changes To Your Schedule

Sometimes saying no to right now situations when feeling over-burdened is a great tactic. Once again, explain what you are working on when your boss approaches you and see if there are changes that can be made in order for you to complete all that is asked of you.

Perhaps they can suggest having colleagues work on some tasks to help share in the burden. After all, a work environment is supposed to be a team! Plan to make changes to your schedule and ask around the office for help and support if needed. Do not neglect your resources and enjoy working as a unit. Maybe changing your schedule will not have to be done after all.

4. Question Your Boss’s Needs

Do not be afraid to question your boss’s needs. Ask your boss, calmly of course, about the purpose of certain projects and why it needs to be done at this time. If your plate is full, let them know. If not, reevaluate whether it is worth you questioning to avoid appearing idle in the workplace. Example responses include “How important is this?” or “I have a full schedule of tasks ahead. Why does this project need my attention now?” Use a calm yet confident voice as this may help your boss in reevaluating his own priorities and whether or not this task can be completed by themselves.

5. Pitch An Alternative Solution

If you fear saying no, try offering another solution to fix a project or something that needs to be completed. Examples include offering suggestions on how to make things less stressful in terms of the proposed work or asking for the work to be divided between groups so that it is able to be completed on time. For smaller projects that you may feel over burdened with, ask your boss if perhaps there is someone in administration or an intern that can be of help. Alternative solutions can limit stress and benefit everyone involved.

6. Suggest Colleagues

Suggest colleagues that might be better trained to complete the task than you. Think that something your boss wants you to do is out of your job description? Make suggestions about others who may be more equipped than yourself to handle it. Examples include being asked to write a report about IT management yet your position is in human resources.

Suggest a co-worker who does work in IT who is more knowledgeable about the subject and can better answer questions. If your boss prefers for you to write it for whatever reason, try asking if there is a way if perhaps you could partner with a co-worker to get the job done. Do not stress yourself out and use your resources.

7. Communicate Your Limits

Let your boss know what your limits are and when. If things are not going so well for you, let your boss know that you might not be feeling the best you can feel to complete a task with quality.

8. Make Sure Everything Is Clear From The Beginning

Make sure people know your limits from the beginning. By being clear I mean, make sure that your boss knows what you are best at doing, how you can help them and why you are there in the first place. It is all too often that once a job begins, employees often find themselves doing extra projects outside of the job description. If you are not willing to take on this extra work, let your boss know from the beginning that you would rather use your skills elsewhere to benefit the company.

9. Schedule A Meeting

If all else fails, make sure to schedule a meeting with your boss and confront the situation. In the meeting let your boss know your limits and whether you are feeling stressed. Do not let yourself become a doormat, always the person your boss goes to when looking to get anything and everything done. Remind your boss why you choose to work for them in the first place and emphasize your skill set and what you can and would like to focus on.

Focus on staying relaxed and confident as you approach your boss with one of these ways of saying no. Emphasize how important you think all work is to the company but remind them what purpose you are there to serve.

Remember to look on the bright side of things! If you feel unsure about how to approach your boss about something you do not want to do, pay attention to the way others interact with them. These 9 smart ways to say no can definitely get the point across. Use your talent where it is best needed.

Have you ever had to say no to a boss? What helped you get through it?

Source: http://inspower.co/ways-to-say-no-to-your-boss/

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by KINGTELLER: 11:50am On Jun 19, 2015
WOW.... What A race to beat the disqualified Poster ahead of me..

The Poster above me R.I.P cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

As the team-leader of this POST.. None of you posters below me should follow My Oga at the top remark.. Una hear me.. Else I give una query... cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by naijainfogalery: 11:50am On Jun 19, 2015
Some people will just write up something as if they are not in Nigeria, Nigerian bosses are the worst to work with, they will offer you stipens and still expect you to do the work of 5 people. A Nigerian boss generally doesnt see the need to pay you well or employ more people when the workload is getting crazy, lemme give replies to these questions like an average employer will reply you

1. Remind Your Boss Of Your Current Workload -
Ans: I thought you said you can multi task and work under pressure when we were interviewing you

2. Say No Without Really Saying No -
Ans: Get the documents on my table before noon, dont care how you gonna do it

3. Plan On Making Changes To Your Schedule
Ans: You better make sure your plans are according to my schedule

4. Question Your Boss’s Needs
Ans: You are fired!!!

5. Pitch An Alternative Solution
Ans: So if you know better than i do how come you havent started your own company

6. Suggest Colleagues
Ans: Excuse me, i gave you a task you want to push it to someone else, are you alright?

7. Communicate Your Limits
I thought you said you can achieve any task under any circumstance, should we review what you said during interview?

8. Make Sure Everything Is Clear From The Beginning
Ans: You wouldnt have been employed in the first place, cos we dont employ based on your limits

9. Schedule A Meeting
Ans: Never in your life schedule a meeting with me, i am the boss i schedule meetings for my subordinates

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by Benbisco(f): 11:51am On Jun 19, 2015
Ok o, we have "hear".
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by DjHypno(m): 11:51am On Jun 19, 2015
Hope you have an alternative sha before trying these out undecided

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by dharay99: 11:51am On Jun 19, 2015
lemme see if i can read ur long textbook.

Buh wait, I ain't a girl... lipsrsealed
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by greatiyk4u(m): 11:52am On Jun 19, 2015
Learnt.........dow it doesn't concern me cos I gat no Boss except JESUS who doesn't need any smart way 2 please
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by moscobabs(m): 11:52am On Jun 19, 2015
don't try that with my boss

sad sad
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by daamazing(m): 11:52am On Jun 19, 2015
Not in nigeria,especially with indian bosses no even try am
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by thefakestan: 11:52am On Jun 19, 2015
Lol are you trying to get someone fired?

ThefakeStan
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by morereb10: 11:54am On Jun 19, 2015
gooooooooood one

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by YOUNGHAJJI(m): 11:54am On Jun 19, 2015
k
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by greatbaba(m): 11:55am On Jun 19, 2015
Alright
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by Koroaso: 11:55am On Jun 19, 2015
**********THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS UNEMPLOYED AND IS SERIOUSLY SEEKING EMPLOYMENT****************

**********GO TO WORK TODAY SAY NO TO YOUR BOSS AND CREATE VACANCY IN YOUR WORK PLACE**********

2 Likes

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by greatbaba(m): 11:56am On Jun 19, 2015
I

have

heard.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by SPDAZZY(f): 11:57am On Jun 19, 2015
nice, hope i can share it on my fanbox. thanks
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by barry40: 11:57am On Jun 19, 2015
This article will definitely help some people protect their jobs. Saying 'No' is never a crime but the way, manner and approach of saying it will make a difference. Thanks for this post. For people intending going into business, visit this resource centre: http://businessinfohub.com

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by afolwalex20(m): 11:58am On Jun 19, 2015
No to my boss!!! shocked shocked.. No way!!! Am definatly saying no to my job.

Would try those sha!!

should i?
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by superior1: 11:58am On Jun 19, 2015
The only true smart way is to start your own company
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:59am On Jun 19, 2015
Op! Good one

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ican November 2014 Result / Everything To Know About The Special Boat Service (SBS) / Github Fires Its Entire India Engineering Team, Over 140 Employees Hit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.