Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,921 members, 7,952,704 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:48 PM

Natural Hair Tips From Someone Who’s Been There - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Natural Hair Tips From Someone Who’s Been There (763 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Natural Hair Tips From Someone Who’s Been There by techdaddycool: 7:17am On Sep 05, 2014
The gorgeous Joyce Daniels is the CEO of Talklogenic International Ltd. She is a professional Master of Ceremonies and her sense of style is incredible. She is a real Naija Housewife, managing a busy career and a successful home life. She’s not only booked most weekends (and weekdays too), she also runs Talkademy; a school for Masters of Ceremonies and is a certified Dale Carnegie trainer. This wonderful woman has lived the natural lifestyle for 3 years and shares her tips with us.
As I celebrate 3 full years of being completely natural, I thought to share a few tips with some of my nappy sisters, especially those who may be at crossroads or just tired of ‘the whole natural thing’…

I started what I called a ‘life style change’ in 2007, which included shedding 15kg (77kg to 62kg)off my weight, consuming less/fewer ‘chemical products’ like coke and margarine, to using less/fewer chemical products like relaxers and antiperspirant deodorants…

I actually started my natural hair journey in 2009 with a complete chop off (very near bald)… so

#1 tip would be – ‘have a good reason, a plan & give it time’…
via -http://www.naijahousewives.com/natural-hair-tips-from-someone-whos-been-there/
I began to use texturisers for some time in 2010/2011 (as I thought my hair was just too hard), but realised it was the same old relaxing and relaxer I was running away from in the 1st place, so I started all over again in 2011 (chopping off the texturised bit).Therefore my

#2 tip is ‘remember why you went natural in the 1st place and stick with it’.

I also realised that the more I talked about my hair being difficult, the more difficult it was; but when I began to think and say ‘my hair is manageable’, I truly began to find my hair was easier to manage. So,

#3 tip….’stay positive’.

At some point I was getting worried that I wasn’t using the right products, or I wasn’t doing enough (especially with ALL the stuff on natural hair blogs), so I spent a little fortune trying to get ‘good stuff’, (which by the way seemed to contain a lot of the chemicals I was running away from in the 1st place). Now, I use a simple NATURAL mix of Niger state-produced Shea butter and Akwa Ibom-fresh coconut oil (for my hair and body) and my hair’s absolutely lovely. Soooooo, my #4 tip- ‘keep it simple’, try new products from time to time, but under no pressure…. My hair shrinks quite fast so I don’t always leave it out… I braid, weave, use wigs and thread. I save the fro for ‘special occasions’…
#5 tip – understand your own hair and stick with what works for you. We DON’T all have the same texture…

One of the reasons I went natural in the 1st place was to avoid spending sooooo much time (and money) on the hair, so I use wigs quite often as they save me time and the whole drama of thinking of what next to do. So, #6 tip – have a standby wig or 2, for when you just don’t have the time (or money)…. With these few points of mine (in my debate-type voice) I hope I’ve been able to help someone somehow

You can find our more about Joyce from her website: JoyceDaniels.net or follow her on Facebook too: Facebook.com/joycedaniels

1 Like

Re: Natural Hair Tips From Someone Who’s Been There by Rute(f): 7:54am On Sep 05, 2014
Beautiful hair and beautiful skin. Way to go Sis!

(1) (Reply)

Meet Nollywood Actress Share Hot New Photos And Want You To Pick Your Best / Sunglasses And Face Shapes / Apprentice Needed ( Intern)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.