Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,283 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Who Says A Man Cannot Marry More Than One Wife?! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says A Man Cannot Marry More Than One Wife?! (596 Views)

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Can A Born Again Christian Marry More Than One Wife?. / Can A Christian Marry More Than One Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Says A Man Cannot Marry More Than One Wife?! by Bvsteph: 3:05pm On Sep 07, 2014
Imagine a man is married to three wives with only one child. A while into the marriage, the man finally meets God and then gives his life to Christ and becomes a true Christian. The question now is, does he divorce his other two wives that have no kids for him, because the bible says a man should get married to just one wife?....Did the bible even say that? What passage of the bible was that said?

This issue came up last week and it had me thinking big time.

Genesis 2:24 and Ephesians 5:31, says almost the same thing. It says, "That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh." Becuase of the 'a' in the sentence, most people conclude that God said one husband must marry one wife. But i kindof doubt that, cause if you fast forward to other events that happened after the creation of man, you will find out that kings and mere men had lots and lots of wives. And as far as i know, God never condemned them for having more than one wife.

I don't know how it worked in the new testament times, but i wouldn't be surprised if the Jewish men of that time still took more that one wife. Another bible passage that is used to defend the fact that a man should marry one wife is I Timothy 3: 12. The passage says that for a man to be a deacon, he must be the husband of one wife. I guess so that they can be able to do their work well. Meaning there is the option of being married to more than one wife....right?

Also in Matthew 22:30 Jesus said that at the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. Meaning that who you are married to right now, would not matter in heaven because there is no marriage in heaven...I may be totally wrong though, so i stand to be corrected

My question now is

1. Did the bible categorically state that a man MUST marry only one wife? If so, where exactly was that instructed?

2. In the scenario above, if the bible did state that a man must marry one wife, in other not to offend God, what should the man do? Let go of the other two wives?
Re: Who Says A Man Cannot Marry More Than One Wife?! by tintingz(m): 5:15pm On Sep 07, 2014
subscribed

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tender Your Prayer Request Here. / World Problem / As A Church Let's Do The Needful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.