Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah (1643 Views)

Ex-gov. Attah Quits Partisan Politics, Slams PDP / My Successor May Not Consolidate On My Achievements – Jega / PDP Laments Obasanjo’s Exit, Says Ex-president Rejected Pleas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by etunoman76(m): 6:01pm On Sep 07, 2014
A former governor of Akwa Ibom State, Victor Attah, has spoken of his regret at the emergence of Godswill Akpabio as his successor.

At a reception as the leader of the Ibibio ethnic nationality, Mr. Attah said his “one painful regret” was leaving office in 2007 with a “successor but without a succession”.

“Since leaving office I have frequently been asked if I have any regrets and my answer, without hesitation, has always been no, none at all. I have also been reminded that success without successor amounts to failure,” Mr. Attah said.

“So with the benefit of time, I must now confess that I do have one painful regret. The one regret I have is that, though I left with a successor, I left without succession,” the former governor said.

The remarks were Mr. Attah’s most direct comments about Governor Akpabio, who served as a commissioner in his administration.

The two men fell apart in the run-up to the 2007 election after Mr. Attah’s attempt at having his son-in-law succeed him, failed. Mr. Akpabio won the election instead.

Since leaving office, Mr. Attah has largely avoided the spotlight with his first major post-office duty being his participation at the just-concluded National Conference where he co-chaired the committee on devolution of powers.

The former governor’s reception Friday was organised by Akwa Esop Imaisong Ibibio, an umbrella socio-cultural group in Akwa Ibom State. The event attracted the cream of Akwa Ibom society across ethnic divides including first class monarchs, frontline politicians and groups.

In his acceptance speech after being installed as leader of the Ibibio nation, Mr. Attah, a former presidential candidate, opened up on his frustration with Mr. Akpabio.

He said his lack of succession plan has haunted him after office.

He also told the gathering how his ambition to become the president of Nigeria in 2007 was aborted, and how a “distinguished son” of the state openly claimed responsibility for the plot.

While acknowledging the individual lacked that capacity, Mr. Attah however questioned the benefits of such claim.

He advised Akwa Ibom people to forge as common front and support each other to gain the respect of other states and ethnic nationalities.

“If we do not want to continue to remain where we are and continue to have these insults and abuses hurled at us, we must learn to accept that, in a dark room, my candle does not burn brighter simply by my putting out the other person’s candle,” he said.

“On the contrary, the more candles we can light, the greater will be the brightness in that room. And in that situation, even the obscure one among us may become visible and recognised.”

In what he described as the renaissance of Ibibio nation, Mr. Attah advised the people to collectively choose a successor who will implement a people-based succession plan when Mr. Akpabio vacates as governor.

While he supported the call for the zoning of the governorship of the state to Eket senatorial district, the former governor however, noted that “certain other compelling determinants cannot be sacrificed on the altar of zoning”.

He reminded Ibibio people that in spite of their number, the tribe was in the past described as an ineffectual majority and challenged them to rise up, unite and face the common enemy of the state.

Continuing, he said, “We have shown righteous indignation at these insults but, undeniably, there is need for an examination of conscience, perchance we had provided the reason for the abuses.”

Also speaking at the occasion, the patriarch of Ibibio land, Essien Ekidem, thanked the people of the state for coming in large number to honour the former governor of the state.

Mr. Ekidem commended Mr. Attah for his contributions to the development of the state and the nation and urged him to continue to lead Ibibio people to greater height.

“You are all aware that it was Obong Attah who formed the coinage ‘Resource Control’ and fought for increased derivation for the Niger Delta region. Today, other people are using the derivation funds as they like,” Mr. Ekidem said.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/167814-i-regret-having-akpabio-as-my-successor-says-ex-gov-attah.html#sthash.Csc3ucmy.dpbs

Re: I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by funshint(m): 10:40pm On Sep 07, 2014
See beef... Even though I hate Akpabio's lack of character, the question is "what did Attah do when he was gov?" in terms of infrastructural development Akpabio beats him handsdown #StoryForTheGods

4 Likes

Re: I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by rooftech: 4:34am On Sep 08, 2014
akpabio is a complete failure, you need to hear attahs citation being read, attah started the Airport,akpabio is yet to add any new thing months after gej laid the foundation stone for a permenant terminal building nothing is on ground,is it a 30000 capacity football pitch called stadium with no indoor sporthall,hostel,swimming pool tennis court etc ,tropicanna, 21st annivesary hospital uncompleted, debt profile after Lagos 500billion,allocation colected so far 2.5trillion and no facility that has employed up to 2000youths.
Re: I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by Nobody: 5:26am On Sep 08, 2014
Is he bitter that Akpabio didnt share money with him? tongue

1 Like

Re: I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by PAT4HOT(m): 6:40am On Sep 08, 2014
funshint: See beef... Even though I hate Akpabio's lack of character, the question is "what did Attah do when he was gov?" in terms of infrastructural development Akpabio beats him handsdown #StoryForTheGods

Can u list wat Akpabio did in terms of infrastructural developmnt and employment. The Ibom airport was Attah's project, odas are d le meridien hotel, Akwa Ibom State University, Ibom Science park dat wud hav bin anoda life changin project if Akpabio completed dat project. The masterplan of Aks was designed by Attah. Dnt forget dat Attah did nt see one third allocation dat Akpabio is seein tday. Attah fought for wat Akpabio is enjoyin today.
Honour shud be givn to whom itz due...

Long live His Excellency, Arc. Obong Victor Attah
The father of modern Akwa Ibom
Re: I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by Nobody: 6:42am On Sep 08, 2014
Arc Attah well spoken ...where is EFCC sef ...to open a file for Mr. Uncommon Transformation?
Re: I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by Pk001(m): 7:11am On Sep 08, 2014
Attah, you may have regrets having Akpabio as your sucessor, but Akwa Ibomites and Nigerians as a whole have no regrets having him as your sucessor, because he did far more than you have done in terms of development. He is "the Uncommon Governor with Uncommon Tranformation". We love him that way
Re: I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by Okobia2001: 7:12am On Sep 08, 2014
Pls,on wat ground shld Attah b talkin?n hw democratic is it 2 impose on d pple a successor of ur choice?Did he 4gt 2 remind d ibibios hw he wntd 2 turn d govt house 2 a family Buziness.Attah shld pls b tld dat he can't eat his cake n v it bk.he jst a sinkin ship,tryin 2 cme up.am an Igbo man dat leave n wrk in uyo n l can tlk abt both parties unbiased.Akapbio is no angel bt d man turn every dream to reality while Attah was busy layin foundation 4 8yrs.d ibibios v produced 4 diff governors since d creation of d state n notin 2 shw 4 dere pple,Dey r d biggest n wel xposed tribe bt notin 2 shw.wat happend 2 d state funds dat Attah toke dwn 2 d Emirs,try 2 buy dere love 2 mke an ibibio man president?

Arc Victor Attah shld pls go tk a bed rest...Period.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by ocelot2006(m): 11:53am On Sep 08, 2014
rooftech: akpabio is a complete failure, you need to hear attahs citation being read, attah started the Airport,akpabio is yet to add any new thing months after gej laid the foundation stone for a permenant terminal building nothing is on ground,is it a 30000 capacity football pitch called stadium with no indoor sporthall,hostel,swimming pool tennis court etc ,tropicanna, 21st annivesary hospital uncompleted, debt profile after Lagos 500billion,allocation colected so far 2.5trillion and no facility that has employed up to 2000youths.

Oh please shut up!! What the hell did Attah do? Yes he initiated the Airport project, but it was Akpabio that actually did the bush clearing and built ALL the facilities. Which road did Attah construct?
Re: I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by Giannakopoulos(f): 12:33pm On Sep 08, 2014
etunoman76: A former governor of Akwa Ibom State, Victor Attah, has spoken of his regret at the emergence of Godswill Akpabio as his successor.

At a reception as the leader of the Ibibio ethnic nationality, Mr. Attah said his “one painful regret” was leaving office in 2007 with a “successor but without a succession”.

“Since leaving office I have frequently been asked if I have any regrets and my answer, without hesitation, has always been no, none at all. I have also been reminded that success without successor amounts to failure,” Mr. Attah said.

“So with the benefit of time, I must now confess that I do have one painful regret. The one regret I have is that, though I left with a successor, I left without succession,” the former governor said.

The remarks were Mr. Attah’s most direct comments about Governor Akpabio, who served as a commissioner in his administration.

The two men fell apart in the run-up to the 2007 election after Mr. Attah’s attempt at having his son-in-law succeed him, failed. Mr. Akpabio won the election instead.

Since leaving office, Mr. Attah has largely avoided the spotlight with his first major post-office duty being his participation at the just-concluded National Conference where he co-chaired the committee on devolution of powers.

The former governor’s reception Friday was organised by Akwa Esop Imaisong Ibibio, an umbrella socio-cultural group in Akwa Ibom State. The event attracted the cream of Akwa Ibom society across ethnic divides including first class monarchs, frontline politicians and groups.

In his acceptance speech after being installed as leader of the Ibibio nation, Mr. Attah, a former presidential candidate, opened up on his frustration with Mr. Akpabio.

He said his lack of succession plan has haunted him after office.

He also told the gathering how his ambition to become the president of Nigeria in 2007 was aborted, and how a “distinguished son” of the state openly claimed responsibility for the plot.

While acknowledging the individual lacked that capacity, Mr. Attah however questioned the benefits of such claim.

He advised Akwa Ibom people to forge as common front and support each other to gain the respect of other states and ethnic nationalities.

“If we do not want to continue to remain where we are and continue to have these insults and abuses hurled at us, we must learn to accept that, in a dark room, my candle does not burn brighter simply by my putting out the other person’s candle,” he said.

“On the contrary, the more candles we can light, the greater will be the brightness in that room. And in that situation, even the obscure one among us may become visible and recognised.”

In what he described as the renaissance of Ibibio nation, Mr. Attah advised the people to collectively choose a successor who will implement a people-based succession plan when Mr. Akpabio vacates as governor.

While he supported the call for the zoning of the governorship of the state to Eket senatorial district, the former governor however, noted that “certain other compelling determinants cannot be sacrificed on the altar of zoning”.

He reminded Ibibio people that in spite of their number, the tribe was in the past described as an ineffectual majority and challenged them to rise up, unite and face the common enemy of the state.

Continuing, he said, “We have shown righteous indignation at these insults but, undeniably, there is need for an examination of conscience, perchance we had provided the reason for the abuses.”

Also speaking at the occasion, the patriarch of Ibibio land, Essien Ekidem, thanked the people of the state for coming in large number to honour the former governor of the state.

Mr. Ekidem commended Mr. Attah for his contributions to the development of the state and the nation and urged him to continue to lead Ibibio people to greater height.

“You are all aware that it was Obong Attah who formed the coinage ‘Resource Control’ and fought for increased derivation for the Niger Delta region. Today, other people are using the derivation funds as they like,” Mr. Ekidem said.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/167814-i-regret-having-akpabio-as-my-successor-says-ex-gov-attah.html#sthash.Csc3ucmy.dpbs
OP I blame you for raising tensions with this thread,he never mentioned Akpabio in his speech,a successor is different from a succession plan,please. Secondly,Akpabio has performed far better than Attah,but since Ibibio are the majority,a lot of them wouldn't see anything good about Akpabio.
Re: I Regret Having Akpabio As My Successor, Says Ex-gov Attah by Lordlexyy: 2:54pm On Sep 08, 2014
In all fareness, Mr. Okpabio has done pretty well not just for the people of Akwa Ibom but Nigerians as a whole. After Abuja, Akwa Ibom, perhaps is the next serene place we can be proud. Whether or not the allocation accrued to the comenserate with the development on ground is another issue entirely, but so far so good, the government needs no condemnation from the precessor who spent many laying foundation blocks without properly building on it. If every state governor achieve half of what Apkabio recorded, there could be less complain.

(1) (Reply)

States And The Name Of Their Inhabitants / Thread For Cybercafe Operators Over Non-accreditation For 2015 Utme / Kudos To Lagos APC!! Truly Tinubu Is A Collosus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.