Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. (1840 Views)

I Feel Like Divorcing My Husband: UPDATE / Why Naija Men Hardly Forgive A Cheating Partner. / Which Is Worse? A Cheating Or Nagging Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by bigass(f): 6:15am On Sep 08, 2014
A friend of mine is going through a bitter divorce. Her husband is a dog. She has caught her husband many times in hotels with different women. The last one was she caught her husband bleeping a girl in his office. Now she filed for a divorce many of her church members ate condemning her for seeking to divorce her husband. They opined that its unforgiving unchristian and ungodly to seek for divorce. They advised her to pray to God for a changed life.

I thought I read that the only ground for divorce is adultery. So why the fuss?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by lomaxx: 6:19am On Sep 08, 2014
Every cheating dog deserves to be killed and fed to the vultures.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Caseless2: 6:20am On Sep 08, 2014
If you've vowed that you'll stick together for better for worse , i dont know why ordinary cheating should call for divorce of one's partner.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by pickabeau1: 6:30am On Sep 08, 2014
Here we go again.... undecided

Christianity bashing,Male bashing
All in the mix

Yes she is allowed to divorce on grounds of Infidelity

If she is convinced she is right, let her divorce for her sanity and sexüal health. Its her life..people will talk

Even a head pastor's(oyakhilome) wife is divorcing.. So what's the big deal.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by ramdris(m): 6:31am On Sep 08, 2014
Because religious faith without common sense makes someone a zombie.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by idu1(m): 6:32am On Sep 08, 2014
Caseless2: If you've vowed that you'll stick together for better for worse , i dont know why ordinary cheating should call for divorce of one's partner.
which vow? I dont know what is wrong with u Christians. Someone is cheating and get caught many times and he dont realise his sins. And u still want his wife to stand there? What if he infect her with hiv, std and the latest one EBOLA.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by GentleMimi: 6:45am On Sep 08, 2014
Caseless2: If you've vowed that you'll stick together for better for worse , i dont know why ordinary cheating should call for divorce of one's partner.
Wow! How convenient that the cheating should be ordinary. Not surprised at the gender such a statement is coming from. Cheating is cheating. There is nothing ordinary about it. Even if males are sometimes excused as being ''polygamous'',cheating ruins so many years of hardwork,efforts,sacrifices. Cheating is absolutely wrong. One question for u. What wld u do if ur wife cheats on u continously? Dn't tell me ur answer. Tell yourself.
@ Topic,i'm sure the bible allowed marital seperation on basis of adultery. If seperation wld give her peace of mind,she should go ahead. By the time the man wld infect her with HIV or ebola,i'm sure the church members will be the first to stigmatize. Abeggi!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Nobody: 6:51am On Sep 08, 2014
Christainity condemns adultery in strong terms;“‘If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.

dultery
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[e] 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

Divorce
31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’[f] 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery

However, it is human hypocrisy that is in play in cases like this where people choose verses that soothes their own purpose and ignore the ones that tells then the truth.

If you read the history of the Israelis you will find that men would put away their wives for no just reason after taking her youth and virginity hence God said do not leave the wife of your youth and he hates divorce because of its abuse at that time. It was the same abuse of the divorce process that made Jesus say only adultery can be a good reason for divorce to minimise the cases of divorce.
Then a man could write his wife a decree of divorce just because he felt like it with or without justification.

As for the church people they are just people that they are in church without understanding fully the words of God doesn't actually make them christains. Every human has their bias, a Christian in as much would avoid a situation where a couple would have to divorce would still go back to the bible and understand that sometimes divorce needs to happen for the safety and sanity of a couple and will not judge or condemn the parties involved.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by 5minsmadness: 6:52am On Sep 08, 2014
What's the question here? Is this thread about the title of the topic or the story itself? Because both are different.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by thorpido(m): 6:56am On Sep 08, 2014
God does not want divorce because He expects love and forgiveness to rule marriages.However,divorce is permitted on grounds of adultery.It's practical because it puts the health of the partner at risk and ruins so many things.

Divorce is not the first option but if after periods of trying to make things work and there is no change,divorce can be the last resort.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Tallesty1(m): 6:57am On Sep 08, 2014
Even one of the girls she nyashed will file for divorce when her husbdand cheats on her.

Women are wonderful creatures.

I can't tolerate a cheating partner and my spouse is 100% free to file for divorce if I cheat on her.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Caseless2: 7:01am On Sep 08, 2014
GentleMimi:
Wow! How convenient that the cheating should be ordinary. Not surprised at the gender such a statement is coming from. Cheating is cheating. There is nothing ordinary about it. Even if males are sometimes excused as being ''polygamous'',cheating ruins so many years of hardwork,efforts,sacrifices. Cheating is absolutely wrong. One question for u. What wld u do if ur wife cheats on u continously? Dn't tell me ur answer. Tell yourself.
@ Topic,i'm sure the bible allowed marital seperation on basis of adultery. If seperation wld give her peace of mind,she should go ahead. By the time the man wld infect her with HIV or ebola,i'm sure the church members will be the first to stigmatize. Abeggi!
dis gal don come back and, na me she come start with.
Of all bad things in a marriage and having vowed to ignore them for better...for worse, i think adultery is the list on the rank considering the fact that men are polygamous by nature. Besides, the men use condom whenever they go on cheating spree. So fear no HIV, but ebola(cos in this case u have to wear complete protective gear to avoid being infected).
NB: TRUCKPUSHER de look for u.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by GentleMimi: 7:12am On Sep 08, 2014
Caseless2: dis gal don come back and, na me she come start with.
Of all bad things in a marriage and having vowed to ignore them for better...for worse, i think adultery is the list on the rank considering the fact that men are polygamous by nature. Besides, the men use condom whenever they go on cheating spree. So fear no HIV, but ebola(cos in this case u have to wear complete protective gear to avoid being infected).
NB: TRUCKPUSHER de look for u.
@ first bolded,LMAO!
@ second bolded,tripple bullshiiit. Stop tripping over dog shiiit. ''Polygamous in nature''. Oh yeah,we ladies can decide to be biiitches by nature too. A man who has self-control and self-worth never makes excuses for adultery.
NB: i steal hin prick?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by kreamidiva(f): 8:16am On Sep 08, 2014

Which one is ordinary cheating again? shocked angry

E no get wetin person no go hear for this world!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Caseless2: 8:22am On Sep 08, 2014
GentleMimi:
@ first bolded,LMAO!
@ second bolded,tripple bullshiiit. Stop tripping over dog shiiit. ''Polygamous in nature''. Oh yeah,we ladies can decide to be biiitches by nature too. A man who has self-control and self-worth never makes excuses for adultery.
NB: i steal hin prick?
dont go this path. When ladies decide to be b1tches , they wear out easily. As in u grow old quickly if u sample every man out there. Men live/last long with 'polygamistic' instinct.
As for truck's prick, he said u stole it. Pls return it.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Caseless2: 8:24am On Sep 08, 2014
kreamidiva:

Which one is ordinary cheating again? shocked angry

E no get wetin person no go hear for this world!
it is ordinary compare to other things the 'for better for worse' vow is making u to accomodate.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by kreamidiva(f): 8:38am On Sep 08, 2014
One thing i know about most of us Christians is that we live in absolute denial.

Things are going wrong,u are seeing it with ur korokoro eyes and u are still making excuses quoting the Bible. That all will be well.

I just distanced myself from a lady who came to give me reasons why i shouldn't separate from my abusive and cheating husband. When i narrated most of my experiences to her,she was screaming. Then after screaming,she would say "but nne,it's not the will of God for u to be separated from your husband. He is your husband, bla bla bla...".

Well,i know my Bible well enough to understand that God Himself was speaking and said "it is not my wish that you perish" and He went ahead to say again "I know the thoughts that I have towards you. Thoughts of good not of evil to bring you to a future and hope".

God has given us the wisdom to take appropriate steps especially when we are in the situation that isn't His will for us.

The blessings of God maketh rich and ADDETH NO SORROW TO IT!

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by GentleMimi: 8:40am On Sep 08, 2014
Caseless2: dont go this path. When ladies decide to be b1tches , they wear out easily. As in u grow old quickly if u sample every man out there. Men live/last long with 'polygamistic' instinct.
As for truck's prick, he said u stole it. Pls return it.
Yeye somborri.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by kreamidiva(f): 8:44am On Sep 08, 2014
Caseless2: it is ordinary compare to other things the 'for better for worse' vow is making u to accomodate.

Hmmm... my brother, none of those "for better for worse" phrases are easy o. And faithfulness to one's partner IMO should be one of the most important aspects of the "for better for worse" vow to be held very close to one's heart.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by ireneidiva(f): 9:03am On Sep 08, 2014
Ordinary cheating? Smh

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 08, 2014

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by thorpido(m): 10:51am On Sep 08, 2014
kreamidiva: One thing i know about most of us Christians is that we live in absolute denial.

Things are going wrong,u are seeing it with ur korokoro eyes and u are still making excuses quoting the Bible. That all will be well.

I just distanced myself from a lady who came to give me reasons why i shouldn't separate from my abusive and cheating husband. When i narrated most of my experiences to her,she was screaming. Then after screaming,she would say "but nne,it's not the will of God for u to be separated from your husband. He is your husband, bla bla bla...".

Well,i know my Bible well enough to understand that God Himself was speaking and said "it is not my wish that you perish" and He went ahead to say again "I know the thoughts that I have towards you. Thoughts of good not of evil to bring you to a future and hope".

God has given us the wisdom to take appropriate steps especially when we are in the situation that isn't His will for us.

The blessings of God maketh rich and ADDETH NO SORROW TO IT!
It is well with you sis.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by smokescreen4: 11:27am On Sep 08, 2014
So cheating is ordinary wow!I've got work to do then.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by kreamidiva(f): 11:37am On Sep 08, 2014
thorpido: It is well with you sis.

Thank u thorpido.

I do kegels o. They said it's good for pregnant women abi?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Caseless2: 11:46am On Sep 08, 2014
smokescreen4: So cheating is ordinary wow!I've got work to do then.
i need a lapdance!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by thorpido(m): 12:06pm On Sep 08, 2014
kreamidiva:

Thank u thorpido.

I do kegels o. They said it's good for pregnant women abi?
Not just pregnant women but those who have had children.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by smokescreen4: 12:13pm On Sep 08, 2014
Caseless2: i need a lapdance!
nah I will give that cute corper behind my house dat dance, you guys make it easy for married women dis days, unrepentant cheats.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Caseless2: 12:18pm On Sep 08, 2014
smokescreen4: nah I will give that cute corper behind my house dat dance, you guys make it easy for married women dis days, unrepentant cheats.
i'm a gudman.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 08, 2014
Caseless2: i'm a gudman.

Aha undecided grin
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Caseless2: 12:46pm On Sep 08, 2014
olubukato:

Aha undecided grin
smokescreen4 must give me a lapdance.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by smokescreen4: 1:55pm On Sep 08, 2014
Caseless2: smokescreen4 must give me a lapdance.
In your dreams.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by kreamidiva(f): 1:55pm On Sep 08, 2014
thorpido: Not just pregnant women but those who have had children.

Ok sir.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Love To Have Twins? / Can Trust Still Be Earned In This Kind Of Situation? / Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.