Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,591 members, 7,820,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army (4396 Views)

The Nigerian Army Salary Structure: How Much Is A Nigerian Soldier Paid? / Why Are There No Female Generals In The Nigerian Army? / Know The Officer Ranking Of The Nigerian Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 08, 2014
Hello my fellow Nlanders, I just thought about it today and decided to hear from my respected fellows here 'cos I haven't really met a military or remember meeting a core Yoruba military man or seen one before.

So I just want to ask/ discuss if there's any reason why there's limited Yoruba men in the military? Am all ears to be corrected if am wrong pls. Cheers

Signed
Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by hernars(m): 11:14am On Sep 08, 2014
I'v seen many yoruba men in d army

2 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by dexentity: 11:35am On Sep 08, 2014
Visit military barracks to cure your ignorance.

10 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Zillight: 11:39am On Sep 08, 2014
they are quite few compared to other tribes....meanwhile, no Yoruba man is ready to die for the sin of another or sin of the nation, its believed that there are other better ways of getting money than signing a death warrant in the name of service.

3 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by iamtheprincipal: 11:47am On Sep 08, 2014
OP, you have not seen because you have not looked hard enough. There are plenty of them in every cadre of the military.
Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by jobsat34(m): 11:53am On Sep 08, 2014
Zillight: they are quite few compared to other tribes....meanwhile, no Yoruba man is ready to die for the sin of another or sin of the nation, its believed that there are other better ways of getting money than signing a death warrant in the name of service.

and to add to this, majority of the few ones that do apply never get short-listed, no thanks to quota system.. or so i thought

3 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by iamtheprincipal: 11:57am On Sep 08, 2014
Zillight: they are quite few compared to other tribes....meanwhile, no Yoruba man is ready to die for the sin of another or sin of the nation, its believed that there are other better ways of getting money than signing a death warrant in the name of service.

This was the perceived conception in the 50's and 60's, it's no longer obtainable today. Visit the various recruitment camps and you would re-appraise and re-position your belief.
Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by hayoakins(m): 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2014
Compared to other tribes, the ratio is low perhaps because Yorubas strive to be educated and prefer to sit in the comfort of an ACed office.

The insignificant ratio of the yorubas in the force however do more of administrative work and less of infantry I think as many of the tribe that has the highest percentage joined with O'level.

No offence to any tribe, simply my opinion!

4 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by kadas01(m): 12:44pm On Sep 08, 2014
Op, are you a military man?

If "yes", may be you were "NOT" trained in Nigeria!

If "no", then I won't have to blame you for your "ignorance"!!

But if you feel the "yorubas" are not well represented in the Military, you can as well "enlist" to boost their rank!!

1 Like

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Tawis06(m): 1:03pm On Sep 08, 2014
Because they are Cowards

12 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by acenazt: 1:26pm On Sep 08, 2014
Tawis06: Because they are Cowards
bros me and u dey think alike,i neva c cowards lyk yoruba guys. even dem ladies get balls pass dem

11 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Tawis06(m): 1:33pm On Sep 08, 2014
acenazt: bros me and u dey thing alike,i neva c cowards lyk yoruba guys. even dem ladies get balls pass dem
three gbosa 4 you

7 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Haywhymido(m): 1:43pm On Sep 08, 2014
Tawis06: three gbosa 4 you
Tawis06: three gbosa 4 you
u,ur family n ur tribe dat r in d military what gud changes av u brought to nigeria as a whole - agba ode

19 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Tawis06(m): 1:49pm On Sep 08, 2014
Haywhymido: u,ur family n ur tribe dat r in d military what gud changes av u brought to nigeria as a whole - agba ode
I'm a yoruba guy and I know my people,so pls dnt insult me

7 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 08, 2014
OP,I think u should b more concerned on why we have more Northerners in d military in relative to oda regions...

2 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by rattlesnake(m): 3:22pm On Sep 08, 2014
because we the omoluabi Omo oduduwa are the ones who fought Biafra war and kept this country together...

Its now.time we earn our rest grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Twistaray(m): 3:29pm On Sep 08, 2014

Yes they are but can destroy Ibo if they choose to.

2 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Twistaray(m): 3:30pm On Sep 08, 2014
acenazt: bros me and u dey thing alike,i neva c cowards lyk yoruba guys. even dem ladies get balls pass dem

You are right ,they are just like my indigbo keeps giving ultimatum upon another without any action.
Igbo's are brave ,but ofcoz,with their BIG mouth.

1 Like

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Madawaki01(m): 3:40pm On Sep 08, 2014
Yorubas have sense,yes,they are not many in the army,who wants to slave away and get meagre salary at the end of the month anyways??check the navy and airforce,Yorubas dominate those two forces,even the current chief of air staff is yoruba

5 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by acenazt: 4:16pm On Sep 08, 2014
Twistaray:

You are right ,they are just like my indigbo keeps giving ultimatum upon another without any action.
Igbo's are brave ,but ofcoz,with their BIG mouth.
lmao ibo men are funny.during crises in kaduna,they rather let dia business b destroyed than join the christians in repelling d moslems.
Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by SporaD8: 4:31pm On Sep 08, 2014
Yorubas as education-oriented people see joining army infantry as something for low-lifers without hope.
Check the Navy, Air force and Army Administrative department Yoruba no go carry last.
By the the director of information on COIN ops in Maiduguri is what?
Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by funshyboi(m): 4:33pm On Sep 08, 2014
We fear a lot

3 Likes

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Mcbussy(m): 4:41pm On Sep 08, 2014
Tawis06: I'm a yoruba guy and I know my people,so pls dnt insult me

The only reason why I'm posting on this thread is because u claim to be Yoruba...if truly u are Yoruba,then its because of illiterate urchins like you that ignorant goblins like the op say crap about other peoples tribes.

If you and d op are actually interested in knowledge, then you should learn the proper way to seek for it.

Go to a recruitment centre and u'll realise that the army,navy and air force select equal number of candidates for each state,every year. The funniest thing is that candidates from SW & SE usually score higher and are usually more qualified than candidates from northern states,but because of the quota system,equal numbers must be selected from each state regardless of performance.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by 100Cents: 4:59pm On Sep 08, 2014
funshyboi: We fear a lot

Lol.

No mind the poster. He will get to hear what he wants...
Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 08, 2014
hayoakins: Compared to other tribes, the ratio is low perhaps because Yorubas strive to be educated and prefer to sit in the comfort of an ACed office.

The insignificant ratio of the yorubas in the force however do more of administrative work and less of infantry I think as many of the tribe that has the highest percentage joined with O'level.

No offence to any tribe, simply my opinion!

See this one. Do yorubas strive to be educated more than any group?
NDA graduates scholars with B.Sc too,in addition to military training.
How many yorubas are in AC office?

1 Like

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 08, 2014
Mcbussy:

The only reason why I'm posting on this thread is because u claim to be Yoruba...if truly u are Yoruba,then its because of illiterate urchins like you that ignorant goblins like the op say crap about other peoples tribes.

If you and d op are actually interested in knowledge, then you should learn the proper way to seek for it.

Go to a recruitment centre and u'll realise that the army,navy and air force select equal number of candidates for each state,every year. The funniest thing is that candidates from SW & SE usually score higher and are usually more qualified than candidates from northern states,but because of the quota system,equal numbers must be selected from each state regardless of performance.
I hope u are not putting the blame on the north?
Stop crying abt quota system.
Ur people and northerners signed that quota deal and misplaced merit since 1970.

1 Like

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 08, 2014
acenazt: lmao ibo men are funny.during crises in kaduna,they rather let dia business b destroyed than join the christians in repelling d moslems.

And a Yoruba defence minister collapsed at the sound of a gun.
Smh.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 08, 2014
Madawaki01: Yorubas have sense,yes,they are not many in the army,who wants to slave away and get meagre salary at the end of the month anyways??check the navy and airforce,Yorubas dominate those two forces,even the current chief of air staff is yoruba
chief of staff is a rotational thing.
FYI, quota system is what they use in the forces
Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Mcbussy(m): 5:43pm On Sep 08, 2014
Evergreen123:
I hope u are not putting the blame on the north?
Stop crying abt quota system.
Ur people and northerners signed that quota deal and misplaced merit since 1970.

well,i wasn't born in 1970...I believe ur dad or whoever gave u such detail can also be held accountable for letting such shitty deal take place. grin

in my dico,that speech "your people" doesn't exist.

1 Like

Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by ednut1(m): 5:50pm On Sep 08, 2014
enuf yoruba guys dey army na, but majority of d combat soldiers are the abokis grin
Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by shakrullah(m): 6:07pm On Sep 08, 2014
Haywhymido: u,ur family n ur tribe dat r in d military what gud changes av u brought to nigeria as a whole - agba ode
Hahaha.. guy I dey feel u
Re: Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 08, 2014
we love our lives grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Feel When Sales Sail Southwards? / I Need List Of Companies In Nigeria That Use Oracle Database Application / It Has To Stop!!!! She Is Mad!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.