Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? (23561 Views)

Marada: Essential Medicinal Herbs / The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression / A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by vicadex07(m): 11:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
MissMeiya:

Please don't self-medicate. It is HIGHLY unlikely that you will succeed in hitting the right combination of drug, dosage, and frequency. Not to mention, there will be no one to monitor your symptoms and side-effects, so you won't know what is normal and what isn't. Some drugs can have bizarre side-effects. And something you think is normal might be very dangerous.

I just feel a bit awkward visiting a doctor for something like that...especially here in Nigeria where such things are not taken seriously. I'd rather just take the damn drugs and get on with life cry

I will do as you advice anyway. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 12:04am On Sep 12, 2014
vicadex07:

I just feel a bit awkward visiting a doctor for something like that...especially here in Nigeria where such things are not taken seriously. I'd rather just take the damn drugs and get on with life cry

I understand your reservation. And desperation for a cure. But your life is at risk when you experiment with drugs. Try to get doctor recommendations from other Nigerians with depression. Be confident when you see the doctor. You have a problem, and you are paying him/her to fix it. If they cannot, then you leave. Don't let anyone intimidate you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by vicadex07(m): 12:20am On Sep 12, 2014
MissMeiya:

I understand your reservation. And desperation for a cure. But your life is at risk when you experiment with drugs. Try to get doctor recommendations from other Nigerians with depression. Be confident when you see the doctor. You have a problem, and you are paying him/her to fix it. If they cannot, then you leave. Don't let anyone intimidate you.

I would be lying if I tell you I know where to start from. I have never heard of any case of depression in my immediate environment not to talk of a doctor that specializes in treating such. cry
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by vicadex07(m): 12:31am On Sep 12, 2014
MissMeiya:

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by naturefellow(m): 12:38am On Sep 12, 2014
Kanwulia: What is the point of this your topic sef? undecided
Do you have the magical pills for sale on NL?

Many NEED them o! cry
Settle down! The point is that depression and its symptoms is often downplayed upon in our country.
It's essential that one is well-informed in order to successfully manage any possible occurrence of depression in family or friends. The effects of depression are insidious, peaking at death by suicide if ignored. Read the post again.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by naturefellow(m): 12:41am On Sep 12, 2014
justi4jesu:

No one noticed tongue
maybe he's depressed. Let's not ignore him smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by BlackLeopard(m): 12:50am On Sep 12, 2014
vicadex07:

Dat goes the same way everywhere brother, not taking depression seriously - you heal yaself and Bleep everybody else's words, they're not your priority, your self care & survival & well being is. Please take care of yourself, & good on ya for reaching out.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by justi4jesu(f): 4:54am On Sep 12, 2014
naturefellow: maybe he's depressed. Let's not ignore him smiley

grin grin
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Javanian: 5:39am On Sep 12, 2014
@MissMeiya can depression cause Anxiety Neurosis? If yes, how can it be cured or managed?
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 12, 2014
I have all this symptoms minus the the last two cuz...
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 6:36am On Sep 12, 2014
eleojo23: In order not to further lengthen the original post, I did not go into full details on the signs and symptoms of depression. There are good online articles on the subject that you can read.

But for the sake of this thread, let me share a little on the subject.

The Federal Government Source for Women's Health Information defines "depression as an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts. It affects the way you eat and sleep, the way you feel about yourself, and the way you think about things." It's more than "feeling blue" or "trying to pull yourself together" and you can't wish it away.
There is no single cause of depression. It runs in some families but people with no family history also become depressed. Other causes include stressful life changes, like divorce, losing a job, the loss of a loved one, or a serious illness.

What are some of the symptoms?
-Always feeling sad or empty
-Lack of interest in favorite activities
-Feeling irritable
-Crying a lot
-Feeling guilty, worthless, or hopeless
-Sleeping too much or not at all
-Eating too much or not at all
-Problems making decisions or
concentrating
-Thoughts of suicide and death
-Drinking and using drugs

If you're feeling any of these symptoms for more than 2 weeks, you should get professional help.
....I have all this symptoms minus the last two ones
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 12, 2014
Baddchristy: ....I have all this symptoms minus the last two ones

Normal. Not all depressed people are suicidal. And we don't all turn to alcohol and drugs to cope.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 12, 2014
Javanian: @MissMeiya can depression cause Anxiety Neurosis? If yes, how can it be cured or managed?

Anxiety is common, I think. I experience it from time to time, always when my depression is causing me to neglect things that need to be done. I try to ignore the anxiety and it starts to build up, until it manifests itself physically--fidgeting, teeth clenching, tension...

The best thing to do (in a case like mine) is face your depression and deal with it so you can handle those things triggering your anxiety. Procrastination is so comfortable, until it isn't.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by olaolaking: 11:44am On Sep 12, 2014
Excelboi: I used Flouxetine (prozac) 20mg per day. I will strongly advise you to seek an expert, doctor preferably to direct you and there are many anti-depressants drugs you can use, you just have to find the one which work best for you. Please be very careful with this prozac as it has many side effects (even though I'm yet to see any, only increase appetite) and it can increase the risk of suicide if misused.
Other side effects include:
Low libido
Headache
Numbness
Dizziness
Loss or increase in appetite etc
It will take about 2 weeks before you start noticing the changes, as it will balance your serontin level (a chemical involved In mood balancing). Goodluck

thank you very much. Are these drugs available in Nigeria market?
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by olaolaking: 1:43pm On Sep 12, 2014
MissMeiya:

You can pm me.

I tried to pm you but not successful
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nmeri17: 1:57pm On Sep 12, 2014
Kanwulia:

That is not craziness, but arrant STUUUPIDITY!
If i wanna pose newd, I will not have to work for the rest of my life like KIM KARDASHIAN!
Not for NL tadpoles likey ya crawling on ya pot-bellies without tails! kiss

Please. . . . .Off to bed. I have a job!
Thanks for your time!
Ciao! kiss

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 12, 2014
olaolaking:

I tried to pm you but not successful

You can edit your post now. I've emailed you.

Change the email address in your nairaland settings, because it's a different email.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 12, 2014
honey86:
Please see a doctor for treatment. I think its called manic depression. Im not sure though.
Lol. It is manic depression/bipolar disorder. I researched it at the time. My phases weren't as intense as medically described. In hind sight, I think it was the normal clinical depression and normal teenage mood fluctuations.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Kanwulia: 3:04pm On Sep 12, 2014
naturefellow: Settle down! The point is that depression and its symptoms is often downplayed upon in our country.
It's essential that one is well-informed in order to successfully manage any possible occurrence of depression in family or friends. The effects of depression are insidious, peaking at death by suicide if ignored. Read the post again.

You did not understand what I was asking.
Africans can never comprehend all these. In Nigeria where superstition and fetish religions have totally eroded all the thinking faculties, how many will believe in the concept of mental health without knocking on Adegboye's or TUBERCULOSIS Joshua's temple gates to battle principalities and PAWAzzz? angry

Even on this NL with a high rate of barely-educate SPIRITUAL-ILLITERATES. . . . . The OP is embarking on an up-hill task. cheesy
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Excelboi(m): 3:05pm On Sep 12, 2014
olaolaking:

thank you very much. Are these drugs available in Nigeria market?
Yes. Any medium to big pharmacy should have it.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by timawoku(m): 3:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
Sweetheart aw are you? smiley
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by eleojo23: 6:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
@MissMeiya, Excelboi many thanks for your valuable contributions to this thread so far.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by timawoku(m): 6:58pm On Sep 12, 2014
Kanwulia:

Africans can never comprehend all these. In Nigeria where superstition and fetish religions have totally eroded all the thinking faculties, how many will believe in the concept of mental health without knocking on Adegboye TUBERCULOSIS Joshua's temple gates to battle principalities and PAWAzzz? angry

Even on this NL with a high rate of barely-educate SPIRITUAL-ILLITERATES. . . . . The OP is embarking on an up-hill task? cheesy

my sweetheart waddup?
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Sep 12, 2014
Any time I feel down up to the point of crying, I pray and read the Bible, I feel better afterwards.
Can't say if its depression or not. But that therapy works for me.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by k12cambel(f): 7:19pm On Sep 12, 2014
Interesting read, I came across this story when I was trying to talk myself out of depression, I most say I find some of the comment childish and I bet most of this people haven't had depression. My case is bad, I have had it for 7months now and I don't know what to do, In a normal sense I have no reason to be depressed cause I just graduated, got a job even without a certificate and I have enough money to survive on, cry I had a serious panic attack for 2months for no just cause. Now no one understand what am going through, cos everybody wants me to suck it up and move on but the true is, I don't know where to.I was told that I have been depressed for a long time, I was given an antidepressant that only made things worse cause now, I have no feelings and nothing means anything to me, so please before you take antidepressants make sure you see a professional, I am hoping the brain balance itself cause I don't know what to do anymore, just want to know what happiness feels like again
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Branzy(m): 8:08pm On Sep 12, 2014
dats why we nid social workers and psychologist
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by BlackLeopard(m): 6:24pm On Sep 13, 2014
Kanwulia:

Africans can never comprehend all these. In Nigeria where superstition and fetish religions have totally eroded all the thinking faculties, how many will believe in the concept of mental health without knocking on Adegboye's or TUBERCULOSIS Joshua's temple gates to battle principalities and PAWAzzz? angry

Even on this NL with a high rate of barely-educate SPIRITUAL-ILLITERATES. . . . . The OP is embarking on an up-hill task? cheesy

Wouldnay say so?
Olodumare & Egbesu & Chukwu alike created man to be healthy and with own reason to seek care & nurturing
There ain't any spiritual reason against going to find treatment, in fact would be preferable & responsible both to God an one's ancestors

Like sure there's always seeing illness as misfortune and punishment but that is superstition. Not something rooted in religion. And not something rooted in traditional religions, either.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Kanwulia: 11:07pm On Sep 13, 2014
BlackLeopard:

Wouldnay say so?
Olodumare & Egbesu & Chukwu alike created man to be healthy and with own reason to seek care & nurturing
There ain't any spiritual reason against going to find treatment, in fact would be preferable & responsible both to God an one's ancestors

Like sure there's always seeing illness as misfortune and punishment but that is superstition. Not something rooted in religion. And not something rooted in traditional religions, either.

Man was created "healthy"?
Then why the reason to seek care & nurturing?
Superstition is not rooted in religion/traditional religion?

Are we still on the same topic? grin
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by EfemenaXY: 8:57am On Sep 14, 2014
Kanwulia:

I luuurrrvvee you even better when you type like this. Easier to decode and less razz angry angry

Happy weekend babes kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by BlackLeopard(m): 2:17pm On Sep 14, 2014
Kanwulia:

Man was created "healthy"?
Then why the reason to seek care & nurturing?
Superstition is not rooted in religion/traditional religion?

Are we still on the same topic? grin

Don't ya know all the myths where people were created all okay and then death and then illness messed in just to have some fun too grin

I'm just saying superstition isn't *inherently* rooted in religion, that preaching the most uncaring & uneducated parts of religions is just way too easy thing to do and sadly many do it, but it's not even what them religions *need* to be full of. There's different ways to put take on it that'd help peoples, instead of reason 'oo the state just is because God(s) made it messed, let's leave it that way'.

An I'm sayin it *is* responsibility of the clergy to know their own faiths, and teach them in the way that'll lead people to get help they need. There ain't something like 'Nigerian state mindset', we ain't a bunch of impossible to educate negroes. Education IS possible, it just takes EFFORT on the right levels.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Kanwulia: 8:05pm On Sep 14, 2014
BlackLeopard:

Don't ya know all the myths where people were created all okay and then death and then illness messed in just to have some fun too grin

I'm just saying superstition isn't *inherently* rooted in religion, that preaching the most uncaring & uneducated parts of religions is just way too easy thing to do and sadly many do it, but it's not even what them religions *need* to be full of. There's different ways to put take on it that'd help peoples, instead of reason 'oo the state just is because God(s) made it messed, let's leave it that way'.

An I'm sayin it *is* responsibility of the clergy to know their own faiths, and teach them in the way that'll lead people to get help they need. There ain't something like 'Nigerian state mindset', we ain't a bunch of impossible to educate negroes. Education IS possible, it just takes EFFORT on the right levels.

I take your GOD take beg you!
Stop posting.
FOREVER!!!!! cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

7 Possible Reasons Why Your Gum Bleeds / Marburg Virus Disease Confirmed In Guinea, First In West Africa / Things You Must Know About The As Ac Sc Ss And Cc Genotype

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.