Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Loving My First Love. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Loving My First Love. (4764 Views)

My First Love. (by Kelly9ice) / My Classic First Love Scenario And The Unwanted End / My First Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 1:48am On Sep 11, 2014
All rights reserved.
No part of this literary work is to be copied in any form without the writer's consent.
Thank you.
Re: Loving My First Love. by kilokeys(m): 2:30am On Sep 11, 2014
where d work na?

1 Like

Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 3:01am On Sep 11, 2014
Chapter One.
The evening was cool and hazy, the way it usually is before heavy harmattan comes, it was hard to tell if it would rain or not. The women were already back from the market and busied themselves with the unpacking of unsold wares and the things they bought from the market, from their market bags.and discussing about the happenings in the market.
Mama shade, a hefty dark in complexion woman who wore a big blue blouse and a brown wrapper that would be hard in telling if it was dirty or not was shouting at the children to stop the noise which was caused by the *oga* game they were playing, which always warrants noise as they argued whose turn it was to play and who failed.
Caroline or mama Stella as she was called by the women and children living in the big compound was also unpacking stuffs from her market bag. she was a tall woman, dark in complexion with an European nose and daring eyes. A very elegant woman whose husband likes referring to among his peers as 'my handsome gazelle'. Caroline was very courageous, buoyant and full of life Despite all she has been through she was still that daring brave woman who will never let anything or anyone cause her pain again. Still, nothing can ever break her down into so much tears like her daughter's condition.
Now, as the children kept playing their noisy *oga* game, and as the cool early harmattan breeze kept blowing, and the women talking and cooking with the older girls helping out in pounding yam and grinding pepper which made them sneeze now and then; Immediately like a wave everything stopped in an instant. The children were quite, no more noise or clapping of hands as it was a second ago when the *oga* game was still on. No more discussions about the market events by the women. No more sounds of the mortar and pestle. Everywhere was so quite it can frighten even the dead. Everyone's eyes were glued to the compound's entrance where a very dirty, tattered looking woman who wore loosed weavon hair and turn rags for clothes emerged. It was hard to tell her fair complexion as a result of the usual black marks on mad people which covered her skin. she was obviously a mad woman but there must be something about her that cringed the occupants of the compound other than her haggardness. Was it shock or familiarity.
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 3:03am On Sep 11, 2014
kilokeys pls exercise patience dear. na sofri sofri d work go de go
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 3:30am On Sep 11, 2014
Caroline came out to draw water from the big black plastic drum in front of her door, she must have noticed such grave silence despite all her mind was going through. As she draw the water and turned around to face the entrance of the compound, she couldn't believe what she saw, instantly, the plastic bowl she had just filled with water slipped off her hand, her mouth dropped open. "who are my seeing". her heart, body,an soul were trembling her brain went numb totally, then came the low, weak voice of the woman at the entrance "mama". At that, Caroline broke into tears and it ran freely down her cheeks, with a trembling husky voice came her own words "Stella. Stella my daughter". regardless of the younger woman's stinking odour and tattered looks Caroline ran like a teen and Stella herself ran like a little child into the welcoming arms of her mother. They both cried in each other's arms forgetting totally everyone else around them.
Re: Loving My First Love. by kilokeys(m): 4:51am On Sep 11, 2014
water commot from my left eye.. at the " stella, my daughter ".. hmm deep

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 5:37am On Sep 11, 2014
Chapter Two
Mother and child were still holding onto each other, sobbing and wetting each other's shoulders with tears so they didn't notice the tall, fair skinned, bearded and dark moustache man that stood at the corner staring at them. he is Abraham, Caroline's husband. papa Stella was just coming down from his company owned car when he saw his strong-willed wife shedding tears like a baby in the arms of a woman dressed in rags like a mad woman. The first thing he thought was that Caroline must have been moved to see a young mad woman and remembered their daughter's condition, so he stepped closer to pull his wife off the mad woman but was shocked beyond measure. it can't be Stella. all they did to restore her to her normal state proved abortive until she ran out of the healer's place. they had looked for her everywhere to no avail. Were the rumors about Olumide true? people said he's become so poor that he steals from beggars and mad people battle for their lunch with him. Was he actually responsible for Stella' condition? Oh God!. he will kill the bastard if he (Olumide) actually used his beloved daughter for money rituals, that good for nothing wretch. Abraham was still thinking when he noticed the women were now looking at him. he too embraced his long lost daughter.

Caroline prepared food for her daughter hurriedly, then fed her. even though they wanted to spend every second with their daughter they had to let her rest. Caroline helped Stella prepare for bed and she went back to the sitting room. on normal days papa Stella would've sat on his rocking chair whistling away sadness with his hands crossed at the back of his head but today he sat on the couch with his eyes closed.

Stella was hugging him with so much excitement because he finally approved her marriage to the love of her life. He couldn't deny his only child her happiness so he did what he had to do. He blessed the union and made Olumide promise to...

"you too should get some sleep. We've had quite a night" Abraham was dragged out of his thought by his wife' voice. "Carol, I don't like what I'm thinking".
"I know what you are thinking. just forget it for now, let's just thank God for bringing back our daughter. Come let's go and sleep now."

Stella woke up sweating and gasping for air, she had a terrible dream. three hefty men were sitting around the bed when she entered she was taken aback and was about asking who they were when someone pushed her from the back. She was struggling to get up but they'd already pounced on her, tearing her dress and having their way with her, she felt horrible, they laughed at what they've done she had summoned all her strength with rage to fight back but they overpowered her. one of them brought out a white substance and they forced it all on her, it was cannabis Olumide had entered and saw the horrible act but they won't let him help. Then she woke up gasping for air like it was a moment ago in her torment of a dream.

"I wonder if I will ever get over this wicked act they did to me"
"what wicked act?" Stella turned to see her mom walking over to her bed. "good morning ma" she greeted. "you know it's afternoon already. I bet it's the nightmare again. talking about it will be of help and I and your dad are here anytime"

"I know mom. am just not ready".

"OK. Anytime you are ready". Caroline patted her daughter's hand and left. They've been trying to get her to talk about her problems since she returned.
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 5:39am On Sep 11, 2014
kilo abeg no cry o. be a man.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 5:43am On Sep 11, 2014
dear readers, pls and pls your comments, appreciations and even corrections will be very much appreciated cos am a beginner.
Re: Loving My First Love. by Aipete2(f): 9:55am On Sep 11, 2014
Am following u dear
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 3:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
thanks Aipete.
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 2:01am On Sep 12, 2014
Chapter Three.
Adeyemi Olumide was a man on the run. He ran to the Eastern part of the country when the incident of his wife's death occurred. He had bought a suffering bakery firm with the money he stole from the gang and now the business was flourishing, he was living fine again except for the constant guilty conscience over what he did to his wife.
Now trouble loomed again for the handsome man. Yinka had paid him a visit, Yinka was his closest friend in the gang who actually introduced him to the game. They ve finally found his hiding place and were after him again but this time he didn't care if they are to kill him or not. Yinka's voice was still resounding in his mind " you think you can run away with our money after we helped you"

"you didn't help me, you killed my wife. Besides, the money ain't yours we STOLE it now leave my house."
Yinka let out a loud devilish laugh before replying Olumide which made him even hotter with anger

"just about to, but you know Sir Jones had enough money already to last him through out his miserable life it's a pity we had to kill him anyway." He was just about leaving when he turned to Olumide " for your information, we didn't kill your bitch she is running mad presently" then he stormed out of the door.

What did he just say? How can life be so cruel? They killed her and made me run away so I won't be arrested. I'm a horrible person. I let them down...

Olumide's mind went back to when his troubles began.

December 2011.
His marriage with Stella was barely a year old when his business started crumbling. He met with his old pal Yinka, Yinka was a friend he met during his NYSC days, the guy was known around camp for his sermons of making it big in the future he wasn't one to just sit back and wait for God's time, according to him, you have to make your own destiny. Olumide was glad to see his friend had made his dream life of riches, he narrated how he was duped and how it caused the fall of his business. Yinka sympathized with him and also let him in on the source of his wealth.

"see it as a way of taking back what they took from you. You only take from the rich who already ve enough"
"Yinka it makes me no better than the people that dupe me besides, I have a very loving wife. I don't want to expose her to any danger"
"Even better Olu, you are doing this for her"

Olumide went home, thought about it and made a decision.

"My love you've been behaving strange lately. you leave the house and come back so late and I noticed you now smoke and drink" Olumide was taken aback immediately.
"what do you mean smoke and drink? I told you my work keeps me late"
Stella jumped up angrily from her seat. she was already shouting "Did you just say work? which work? I thought you said the business was suffering so badly you had to sell out which other work are you going to?"

"Stella I'm not ready for your trouble this night. please excuse me" he stood up to leave but Stella kept blocking his way. "I demand an answer this instant" Stella's eyes that showed anger a moment ago turned to a fearful gaze the instant she saw Olumide's mouth quirk up in a cold wicked grin. He shoved her down the couch and walked out leaving Stella in pure wonderment.
Stella cried like a baby after narrating her ordeal to her mom. "mama I don't know him anymore" Caroline calmed her child and urged her to pray before ending the call.
The night passed like a cemetery breeze, the next morning Olumide headed to Yinka's place.
"I can't keep hurting her, I want to stop please"

"Do you think Smith will consent to that now we are about making one of our biggest hits? c'mon man be realistic" Smith was the gang leader and a very tough one at that. He is one of those guys people look at and know deep in their hearts never to play with for the sake of their lives. He simply had the power to make a full grown man pee in his pants with just a look. Yinka had promised to help intercede on Olu' behalf to leave the gang and like he said,Smith would only let that happen after the Sir Jones' hit.
Olumide had been in the gang for upto six months and participated in four hits already. He was finally going to leave and start another fresh beginning.
Sir Jones was very rich and powerful so the robbery was bound to attract high security in the state. The night of the robbery came and things didn't work out as planned, Sir Jones denied having the money with him even though his driver their informant has confirmed the delay, making sure the money was brought to the house after bank closing hour. Smith and Ajayi went in to get the money and Sir Jones' son who was hiding was found calling the police and he was shot dead instantly by Tokumba one of the gang members. Sir Jones flew into a rage and made to attack Tokumbo who pulled the trigger.

Sir Jones landed on the floor, swimming in his own pool of blood. They were able to make it out unnoticed before the arrival of the police.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 3:09am On Sep 12, 2014
"Who asked you to kill him? why did you have to kill him?" Olumide was trembling as he kept shouting at Tokumbo.
"The deed is done already so let it go" Smith ordered.
Olumide was forced to calm himself. "What next now?. My wife is coming back tomorrow we have to clear things so you can all leave before she returns"
They were camping in Olu's house. "Chill a lil dude, let's cool off before leaving" Yinka said, unwrapping wraps of cannabis, the rest cheered and each reached out for more wraps except Olumide who left for another room to sleep.
The gang were wasting away with their method of enjoyment when a woman walked in...

Stella decided to return from her visit to her parents that same day even though she knew she would be late. She meant to surprise her husband who she knew was in bed by now, as she walked to their bedroom she heard noise and laughter coming from another room and decided to check who it was. Stella was shocked beyond words, her mouth dropped open. When she finally formed words to say, "who are..." Someone pushed her from the back and she fell helplessly to the bed, next,another person was snuffing the life out of her and she was struggling frantically but she couldn't save herself from the strong wicked men who tore her clothes and raped her.
They laughed wickedly and one said"this is what Olu enjoys all alone" causing the others to roar out more laughter. Stella mustered all her strength and letting out a loud deafening scream, she jumped on Tokumbo hitting him with all her strength but the other three dragged her down. One forcefully opened her mouth and the other pour the remainder of the substance into her mouth.

Olumide was already having a bad night rest because of the hit' turn out when he heard the scream, he ran into the room were the gang were staying only to find them strangling his wife. Yinka and Smith held him back when he rushed in. He shouted at Tokumbo and Ajayi to stop and when he got to Stella' side she was motionless. he wanted to take her to a hospital but they told him she was dead and he could be arrested which wasn't good for the gang. He cried by her side all through the night. The gang apologized and blamed it on the drugs.

Olumide woke up by 4:08am, he packed a few things, loaded the stolen 30million naira in another car and zoomed off to Owerri to start afresh but unlike his initial plan, he was starting afresh without his love but with an ever lasting guilt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Loving My First Love. by D9ty7(m): 10:21am On Sep 12, 2014
I
must commend you for the good job you have done here so far. I noticed
some loopholes and if you won't mind. I'll point them out to you.
1. Is the story a short story or what? Even though I love the way you
made it brief and understandable.
2. Is it a fiction or a life story.
3. Try paragraphing your works or is it my phone?
4. Your spellings are also very important. I can see some mistakes in the names. You wrote Tokumbo and somewhere you wrote Tokunba...
Though this is not a well constructed criticism but we are both
writers and we understand better. I don't need to write thousands of
letters before you understand my points.
There is also another thing I want you to stop. Don't beg readers to
comment, if your story is worth it they'll coment. Mind you its not your
begging that made me comment. So note it!
Above all, you are heading for the top with this wonderful piece. See
you later at the top.

1 Like

Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 6:13pm On Sep 12, 2014
Thanks a lot D9ty7. To answer you, it is a novelette and a fiction.
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 6:17pm On Sep 12, 2014
Thanks a lot D9ty7. To answer you, it is fictional and it's not a short story even though am breaking it down very much in order to finish soon.
Re: Loving My First Love. by D9ty7(m): 6:21pm On Sep 12, 2014
Now I get it.
[quote
author=pureIvory]Thanks a lot D9ty7. To answer you, it is fictional and
it's not a short story even though am breaking it down very much in
order to finish soon.[/quote]
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 3:28am On Sep 13, 2014
Chapter Four

Olumide was jolted out of his thoughts by the insistent car horns, the traffic has cleared and many commuters were losing patience 'cause one car driver was still not moving. It was Olumide and he was on his way to Lagos.
He had left the bakery in Charles' care, Charles was a short, potbelly man who has worked as Olumide's manager since the time he bought the bakery about a year ago.
Olumide was planning on selling the bakery to Charles depending on how his stay in Lagos turns out.

Olumide turned on the ignition and zoomed off. He was finally facing his fears.
"I have to find out if it's true by myself, I'm not letting them tell me this time."

Stella stared at the picture with teary eyes, Olumide was hugging her in the picture, she brushed her thumb over the picture.
"you promised me, my love. you promised... you shouldn't have left" she whispered.
She looked at the picture with intensity but she wasn't really seeing the images in the picture.
She was seeing the past.

August 2005
Stella had just graduated from secondary school and she was waiting to be admitted into the university. As the only child, her parents didn't want to expose her to the rough live in federal schools so they urged her to go to a private university. She took the post-utme and waited the admission list for what seemed like forever, she was very eager to experience life as a university student, she wanted to leave home and the ever present doting of her parents.
She finally gained admission and paid off all the necessary fees without qualms because her father's business was doing great and of course she was the only one to be trained in school.
Before her departure to school, her parents called her and gave the usual be a good girl sermon.

"Stella, don't forget your family. Always read your books so you will succeed and make us proud." Abraham said smiling at his daughter.

"my dear, don't forget to pray to God through out your stay in the university. Beware of distractions that come in form of friends. God will guide you my child." Caroline said with teary eyes. They all embraced and Stella went off to the new life that awaited her.

Stella's enthusiasm of being an undergraduate was dwindling by the day. Life was tough away from home. 100 level is always very hectic. Course registration, too many lectures, settling down in the new environment, etc.

Stella was tired of standing in the endless queue so she decided to sit on a nearby bench after informing the person she stood behind. She was so hungry and her stomach was grumbling. She left her room very early for lectures without eating anything and she proceeded to the bank afterwards in order to withdraw some money for buying necessary handouts.
She sat down and closed her eyes, she was slightly squeezing her belly when someone pat her shoulder.

Stella froze, the hand was too strong to belong to a girl. What does he want?. She looked up into beautiful, smiling eyes on a handsome face. He was smiling down on her, showing a wonderful set of white teeth and sweet bow-like lips. His handsomeness was perfect.
"Hi" he said drawing Stella's mind out of it's inactivity. Stella completely forgot her anger at the one invading her peace, he was still smiling and then she smiled back.
"Are you here for withdrawal or deposit?" he asked.
"Withdrawal. I want money to buy handouts and I'm so tired and hungry I wish I'm at home so mummy will make foo..." she stopped immediately to the amusement of the handsome stranger. "I'm so sorry I didn't know I said all that out loud" she apologized looking down in embarrassment.

"Wow. That's a lot to take in. Well, will you let me withdraw the money for you?" he asked

"How will you do that? you are not even in the queue."

"I'm here to see someone that works here. I will tell him to withdraw the money for you"

"Thanks." She smiled her appreciation and gave him the details of the withdrawal. She waited till he returned five minutes later and handed her the money.

"I still can't thank you enough for your help" Stella said.
"it's no big deal, it will be stupid not to help a damsel like you. Let me buy you lunch."he offered.
Stella didn't know what to respond to the offer, no man has ever made feel senseless like this guy. it is true she had many admirers because of her prominent beauty, her fair skin, her well constructed face and endowed front and behind melted the heart of men everyday. Men approach her all the time but she won't waste time in dismissing them with her "I'm not interested" reply but this handsome stranger just offered to buy her lunch and she was at lose of what to say.
"I...I...I...don't..." she stammered

"you don't what? you don't want me to buy you lunch?"
"No that's not what I mean" she didn't actually know what she meant anyway.

"What then?" he asked.
"I don't know your name" she found herself saying. "I'm Stella" she extended her hand for a shake.
"I'm olumide" he said taking her hand and dragging her to her feet. "Will you let me buy lunch now?"
"sure."

And so, they left for lunch.
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 6:08am On Sep 13, 2014
Olumide escorted Stella to the hostel, they said their goodbyes and promised to meet each other again. Stella was in high spirit, she had so much fun at lunch with Olumide. They had talked about every aspect of their lives, Olumide was also an only child, he was from an average home and he was a 300 level student of business management. Stella told her background also and they had joked about him marrying an Igbo girl when Stella mentioned she was an Igbo girl.

Stella's mind played back the events of the day a dozen times. "What if he marries me" she wondered aloud and quickly admonished herself.

She slept all smiles that night knowing in her heart of hearts that she belonged to Olumide.

Their relationship blossomed. they were best friends, they shared love for each other but for Stella, they shared something more, their hearts were intertwined and one can't function without the other. She couldn't imagine sharing with another man what she share with Olumide.
Skin colour, Age, tribe didn't stop them from being one. She was simply a girl in love.

"We will be thinking that is a joke until this girl loses her senses" Chioma said waving at Stella. Chioma was one of her two room mates and she was quite outspoken. She said her mind always without fear.

"In my opinion, she has lost it already" Yetunde said. she was the other room mate and more conserved than Chioma. "And she has lost it to love."

"What kind of love is that? that Yoruba guy seem too good to be true. Girls follow him like flies, what if he eventually give in to them since he's not getting it from our dear Stella." Chioma retorted and was quickly admonished by Yetunde. " Haba Chioma be positive for once"
"it's not about positivity, it's just a thought."

"Hold that your thought, see how you people are discussing about me as if I'm not even here"

"Would you rather have us discuss you behind your back?" Chioma asked
"please I don't have your time" Stella said gathering her books and existed the room.

Stella was now in her 200 level and Olumide was graduating soon. Their love was stronger than ever.
It was during the first semester holiday, Olumide was reading a newspaper when his phone rang, he was reluctant to pick the call because he was reading the sports column and didn't want any distractions, he reached for his phone without even checking the number.
"Hello" came Stella's trembling voice. Olumide immediately sprang to his feet.
"Baby, what happened? are you okay? why are you sounding like this?" he asked all at once.
"My dad had an accident. he can't walk." she sobbed.

Abraham's health condition was too much for the family. Eventually, all their savings were gone in it's treatment. His business collapsed due to lack of funding. He however started getting better.

Olumide was there for Stella through out the hard times. He gave her money, food and emotional support.

"That your bobo dey try sha. you are a very lucky girl" Chioma said, searching the provisions Olu bought for Stella.
They were now in 300 level and Olumide was doing his NYSC program.
"See how he's spending all his allowee on you and he even makes out time to see you monthly. He is surely for keeps if you ask me" Chioma continued.

" you this Chioma ehen, I thought you said he is not to be trusted now you are singing his praise, anyway when is he coming again. I can't wait to get his goodies again." Yetunde said.

"The both of you are so funny." Stella said letting out a small giggle. "Well he's not coming anytime soon, we are going for the semester's break soon or have you forgotten"
"That's true. So tell us have you finally done it with him?" Chioma asked.

"CHIOMA!" the other two chorused.

"What now, Yetunde don't even pretend I know you want to hear the gist badly. Stella please tell us jor" she said shifting closer to stella.

"See this one o, don't say what you don't know" Yetunde said, pointing at Chioma.

"yeye girl, I no get your time. make I hear gist finish"

"We decided on no sex till our wedding night" Stella said smiling, to her surprise, the other two broke out laughing.
"No sex indeed."
"Has he proposed?"
That question went unanswered.

Abraham recovered but his business has fallen completely so he found a job as a company's driver, he moved his family to a 3 bedroom apartment in an affordable compound.
Stella returned for the break and met with Olumide.

"I missed you"Stella said.
"I missed you more" Olu replied giving her a kiss.

"I still don't know how to thank you for how you've taken care of me"

"Don't say that dear, I don't want you to thank me. It is my duty to love you and make you happy for the rest of my life. I should be thanking you for coming into my life."

"You always make me speechless. I hope you will never hurt me. I will probably die of heartbreak." Stella said looking deep into Olu's eyes for reassurance.

Olumide held her gaze "I promise you here and now, as long as I live I will never hurt you in anyway whatsoever. I will never leave you and your happiness will be my only priority."

"Olu I will love you till my dying day."

The two lovebirds made promises without knowing what the future held.

The future mocked their promises.
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 3:20am On Sep 14, 2014
Chapter Five

18th December 2010

Today was their third anniversary, Stella was already a graduate and was about leaving for her NYSC program so she was determined to make their date today very remarkable and worthwhile. Stella took more than her usual make up time, she wore a blue short gown that displayed her wonderful contours, before she left for her date she did a thorough check of her appearance.

"Perfect" she said with a smile and grabbed the wrapped gift she bought for Olumide.
"He will surely love this" She put it in her purse and left.

Stella and Olumide were holding hands as they walked slowly towards his car.
"I had a wonderful time" Stella said, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Me too. Will you come home with me?" Olumide looked at her with playful pleading eyes. Stella let out a small giggle. "Ofcourse".
"Yes!"Olu said throwing a fist in the air which made Stella giggle the more.

Stella opened her purse and brought out the little package when they arrived Olu's house.

"I bought this for you" She said handing the gift to Olumide.
"Gosh!" Olumide slapped his forehead. "I'm a terrible boyfriend I didn't even buy you a gift."

"Sweetheart it doesn't matter. You gave me a wonderful treat today and it's enough gift for me already."
"I'm glad you had a nice time" He smiled. "Well I got you a gift too."

"But you just said you didn't."

"C'mon girl, how can I forget to get a gift for my love. Why do you think I asked you to come to my house, I wanted to give you a surprise cause you would have guessed what it is before I even hand it to you."

"You naughty boy, I can't believe you tricked me. Where is the gift?"
"In here" he said and led her to his room.

Throughout the ride to Olumide's house, Stella kept thinking of one thing "He's going to ask me to marry him" Ever since her room mates asked her of her future with Olumide it became her utmost desire to have an answer to the question. Today, she hope the answer will finally come.
It has to be now, she thought. How will I react to it.

When Olu showed her the gift the thought fled. She took the painting with great care like she would an egg of life. It was a painting of herself.

"Baby do you like it?" Olu asked.
"I love it Olu. I love you." she said and embraced him passionately.
"I love you more" he said.

The lovebirds lay snuggling up to eachother.
"Open your gift" Stella said.

"Hmm. Okay" he said and reached for the gift.

It was a necklace. The pendant made TicToc sounds when opened and it also had an inscription "TicToc TicToc our hearts beat together forever. Olu and Stella.

"I will never let you down. I promise." Olu said.
"I know. I will miss you"
"Me too. please don't let any guy steal you away from me" he said
Stella punched his arm jokingly. "Don't start now"
They both laughed. They kissed and they bade each other goodbye.
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 4:12pm On Sep 14, 2014
"Hello"
Stella turned to see who it was.
"Hi. My name is Steve" he said bringing out his hand from his pocket.
"Stella" she shook hands with him. "What can I do for you"Stella asked.
"let me walk you home, we can talk on our way"
"Why will I let a stranger walk me home"
"I have a feeling I will be the one walking you home for the rest of your life" He said.

Stella laughed at that and they walked towards her house.
"So you don't recognize me" Steve said shaking his head.
"am sorry but I don't though you look familiar"
"Well we camped together and now our PPA is the same, it will be fun." he said.
"why?"
"Because I will finally get to spend so much time with you"
"Why are you so interested in spending time with me" she asked.
"I like you a lot."
"Thanks. you can go now" Stella said stiffly.
"I'm sorry if I said something wrong. Okay I don't like you, I love you." he said.

What nerve this guy has he thinks he can just joke about anything. She started walking very fast.
"please come back" He shouted but Stella won't turn back for anything. "Well, tomorrow is another day" he said and walked away.

Stella was having lunch in a nearby cafe. She had a long day and she was very hungry so she decided to eat in a cafeteria near the school before going home.

Steve was becoming a daily bug in Stella's life and Stella was trying not to fall for his good looks and jovial nature. He could make you smile, laugh even if you don't want to.

"I don't know why you keep pushing me away from you" Steve said startling Stella.
"will you just quit sneaking up on people" Stella said angrily.
Steve was now sitting opposite her in the cafeteria.
"I don't sneak up on people,I sneak up on you and I enjoy your reaction to it"
"You are so annoying"
"And you are so beautiful. Now tell me why you don't want me."
"I have a boyfriend."
"Has he proposed?" Steve asked and took a sip of his drink. Stella looked at him with wide eyes.

"I guess not. That's why he is still a boyfriend."
Stella stood up "Excuse me please" she said and left.

The schools were on break so most corpers left to spend time with their families.
Stella was sitting outside when her mom got back from the market, she helped in bringing mom's bag inside and also brought drinking water for her.

"Thanks my dear." Carol said." You are a wonderful girl"
Stella smiled "That's because I have a wonderful mom"

"You know you will make a good wife."Carol said.
"Thanks mom".

"So when are you bringing him home to see us?"

"C'mon mom.What makes you think there is someone."
"You can't fool me my child. You are old enough to have suitors besides, there is a huge painting of you in your room. He really loves you and I think it's time we blessed you both."

Stella thought about the discussion and decided not to bother herself about it. She didn't want to put pressure on Olumide, he was still starting up a livelihood for himself and such pressure won't do him any good. Her mind was still on the thought when her phone rang.
"Hello love." Olumide's voice filled her ears.
"Sweetheart, how are you?"Stella asked.
"I'm fine but I need to talk with you urgently, will you come over to the house?"
"Sure."

Stella paid Olumide a visit like he asked.
Olumide gave her a quick kiss and offered her something to drink.
"I have been thinking of how our relationship has stood through out trying times and wonderful times so I decided to get you a gift" Olumide brought out a tiny black box and handed it to Stella.
" This is a token of my love."
Stella opened the box. "A ring" she exclaimed.
Olumide went down on both knees.

"I have shared my life with you for three years now and I want to continue till my dying day. Please marry me."
Tears flowed freely from her eyes.
"I will. I will. I will." She jumped up from her seat and embraced Olumide passionately.

Abraham was in highspirit when he came home.
They were having dinner when he landed the shattering bomb.
"My daughter is going to get married." he said shaking his head in happiness while picking the porridge yam with his fork.
The other two occupants of the room were surprised at his utterance. Stella told her mom about the engagement and she knew her mom hasn't revealed it to her dad because the two didn't see each other that evening before now.
"How did you know?" Stella asked.
"I know because I'm arranging it." he answered. "I meet my friend today. He is now very rich and he said he wants you to meet with his son so you can date a little before the marriage. The young man is even serving in the same state you are serving."

Stella felt like crying. "But dad I'm already engaged"

"Is that so? tell me about this man." Abraham said with a frown.
"His name is Olumide, he has his own business already and we love each other."

Abraham stood up from his seat. "Love or no love, you will not marry a Yoruba man" he walked out from the room
Stella was weeping uncontrollably in Caroline's arms.
"I love him mom"

"I know. I will talk to your father."
Re: Loving My First Love. by D9ty7(m): 8:03pm On Sep 15, 2014
@PureIvory: You sent me a mail right? I couldn't assess my mail for now....
Send the message to my phone. The number is on my signature.
Re: Loving My First Love. by Greyworld: 10:11am On Sep 16, 2014
Am in.... Hope space stil dey 4 late comers lyk mi. Min while yu are doin a gud @ ivory, kip it rollin.....

1 Like

Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 12:13am On Sep 18, 2014
D9ty7: @PureIvory: You sent me a mail right? I couldn't assess my mail for now....
Send the message to my phone. The number is on my signature.

I ll do just that.
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 2:33am On Sep 18, 2014
Stella was still very upset about her father's response to her engagement. Abraham had informed her to cook something "delicious" for his friend' son who was visiting in the evening.
Stella was tempted to add salt or pepper excessively so the young man's tongue will burn out of his mouth.
She decided not to follow up with the plan.

Stella prepared the food, served it and awaited the coming of her biggest terror. Why will dad subject me to such pain. Why now, now everything is finally falling into place.
A knock on the door dragged her out of thought.
She sighed and went to open the door "Must be my nemesis" she said and opened the door.

It was indeed her nemesis but...

The young man and her father stood in front of her

"Stella?" he said.
"Steve what are you doing here?" she asked.

"Why are you asking him that? I told you he will come didn't I?" Abraham said "It seems you both know each other and that's a good sign" Abraham said and entered the room leaving the other two to follow.

Throughout dinner, Stella's mind was working on how to approach Steve concerning her stand on the whole marriage issue. Steve himself chatted away with her parents like old time friends. Carol had to act like nothing was wrong, despite knowing her daughter's plight.
After dinner, Stella offered to see Steve off to the amazement of her mother and joy of her father.

"Are you really okay with this whole arrangement?" Stella asked.
"Who wouldn't?. You kept pushing me away and my dad told me of a beautiful girl I will be thrilled to meet. I agreed, at least she will take my mind off you and now you turn out to be the same girl. Guess I'm stuck with you." He said and they both laughed.

"Steve you don't have to be. See, I can't date you or even marry you. I've been dating my boyfriend for almost four years now, I love him so so much and we just got engaged" she said, showing Steve her ring finger.
He scoffed." You don't have to show me now, throughout dinner you were busy parading your ring. That guy certainly hates you that's why he has pinned you down for so long and now a good thing is coming your way he is trying to stop it with his filthy ring."

Stella was stunned out of her wits, her next action will certainly not be blamed on her. She raised her hand and descended it hard and hot on Steve's cheek.

"What impetus you have to utter rubbish with your silly mouth" she said and walked out angrily, leaving a stunned Steve rubbing his cheek vehemently.

Stella woke up late the next morning and tried remembering the events of last night. Her parents had asked why she was angry and she ignored them and walked to her room to sleep away her anger, her phone also kept ringing.
She got up to attend to her pounding headache and later checked her phone, it was Olumide's call. She called him back immediately.

"Hello honey."
"My dear I've been calling you, hope all is well" Olu asked.
Stella narrated everything to Olumide and they agreed to see each other the next day.

"What happened last night with Steve?" Caroline asked her daughter.
"I slapped him."
"Oh my! Why?"
"He insulted my relationship with Olumide. I couldn't take it. Mom, my heart is for Olumide alone."
"I can tell. But you have to convince your father."Caroline said and left for the kitchen.

Stella was watching her favourite soap when her father came back from work.
"Good evening Sir." she greeted.

"Evening. How are you?"
"I'm fine"
"What happened last night?" he asked.
"Nothing."
"I know you had a fight with Steve. You better call to apologize. You will marry him whether you like it or not. I will tire you up and drag you to his house after he pays your bride price if I have to.

"After he pays with his father's money? Dad I have a fiancé and I'm going to marry him."

"With whose permission?" he hissed and walked away.
Stella collapsed in her seat and sobbed her eyes out.

The night seemed too long but morning came after all.
Stella took her bath, dressed up and went to Olumide's place.
They eat and talked after. Well, Olu did most of the talking.
"What is it?" Olumide asked.
"My dad"
Olumide reached out for her and she slipped into his strong arms sobbing.
"He is a very stubborn man. He has threatened to drag me to Steve's house after marrying me off to him. He said he won't consent to our marriage. Olu, I'm afraid."

"My love, don't be. He will change his mind, he just needs to be talked to."

"Olu I want to get pregnant for you."
Olumide was too shocked to speak.
"Maybe he will change his mind then. Besides you are my first love and my first kiss came from you, I also want you to be the first man to make love to me. I want you Olu. We can even run off and..."

Olumide's finger rested on her lips to shush her.

"We are not running to anywhere, you have an NYSC program to finish and I have a job to take care of. You can't handle pregnancy in this tense situation and you are still serving. It is a tempting offer to make sweet love to you my love I swear, but not in this circumstance"

"What will we do now?" Stella asked.

"I want you to introduce me to your parents, I will visit this weekend before you travel.
Stella scheduled leaving the following week when schools resumed so the idea of the visit was okay with her.

Stella entered just right on time when dinner was being served.
"Where are you coming back from by this time?" Abraham asked.
"I went to see my fiancé."Stella answered.

"But Steve came here to see you and you weren't around, so which fiancé are you talking about?"Abraham retorted.

"Olumide, my fiancé, and he will be joining us for dinner this weekend." Stella said and walked to her room.
"it's about time he does" Caroline said and smiled at her frowning husband.

1 Like

Re: Loving My First Love. by Aipete2(f): 9:19am On Sep 18, 2014
Lolz

1 Like

Re: Loving My First Love. by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 18, 2014
Hmmm so this is how d whole stuff started??
Re: Loving My First Love. by Epathra(f): 12:09am On Sep 19, 2014
Following fender to bumper. Great piece I must say.

1 Like

Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 12:16am On Sep 19, 2014
yes this is how it all started@ snowprince, and there is more.

1 Like

Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 2:08am On Sep 19, 2014
Since Stella announced the coming of Olumide, her father made sure to keep his distance. He will come back late, eat his food and go to bed without talking to his wife or daughter.
"Abraham this has to stop" Caroline said tugging at Abraham's trousers.

"Leave me alone now. Since you and your daughter has decided to gang up against me, let me be" Abraham said.
"Why are you being so difficult?" Caroline asked
"I don't want to talk about it." he replied.

"Okay. But you better not act cold towards that young man o. I don't want you to hurt my daughter for me o" she said.

Saturday came finally.
Stella had made dinner and waited anxiously for Olumide. She was bothered about how her father will receive him and prayed Olumide will make a good first impression.
"Someone will want to eat in his house and people will tell not to until one man I don't even know comes. Tomorrow they will say I'm being difficult." Abraham grumbled.
Caroline let out a sigh.
"My daughter please call him to know what's keeping him." Carol said.

Immediately, a knock came on the door.

"It's him" Stella said excitedly and zoomed out of her seat to answer the door.

"Good evening Sir" Olumide greeted.
"Evening"
"Good evening ma"
"Good evening my son. Please join us." Caroline said and indicated the empty chair. Olumide sat down.

"I'm sorry for being late, traffic wasn't very friendly this evening." Olumide apologized.

"No problems." Caroline said.

They ate in silence, after the meal, Stella cleared the table and they all went to the sitting room.

"So tell me about your background" Abraham asked Olumide.
"I'm from Ogun state, I'm the second child in a family of six. I studied business management and I have my own business now after working as an employee during my school days and NYSC. I ship in food items and clothes." Olumide replied.

"Nice. I like that." Abraham said standing up from his seat. "I need to sleep now, excuse me" He said. Carol also excused herself and left with her husband.

"I think he likes you" Stella said smiling.
"And it's a good thing" Olu said smiling back at her.
They chatted and when it was time for him to leave, they kissed and Stella offered to see him off.

"My dear you have to give them your blessing." Carol said the next night.
"I can't" Abraham replied.
"Why? Don't you like him?"
"I like him but he is a Yoruba. I have had dealing with Yoruba's and I don't want my child to have anything to do with them."
"I know what Kunle did to your sister all in the name of marriage, but everyone is not the same. You have to allow your daughter make her own decisions, just advice her and support her." Caroline said resting on her husband's chest.
"I promised Ofili that my daughter will marry his son."

"You have to annul that promise. It was never your decision to make."

"But I know Ofili, he is a good man and he is rich."

"You don't know if his son is a good man also besides, we are comfortable and we don't need his money."

The next morning, Abraham asked his daughter to invite Olumide. Stella ran into her room with so much joy to call Olumide, he picked after the second ring.

"Hello honey" he said.

"my love, dad wants to see you urgently"

"Okay. It has to be today cause you're travelling tomorrow right?" He asked

"Yes but it has to be in the evening when he comes back from work"

"Okay. Take care of yourself. Bye. I love you."

"My dear you came back late, good thing Olumide is not here yet" Caroline said.
"Dear, I went to see Ofili to tell him my daughter can't marry his son."
"How did he take it?" Carol asked.
"He was upset of course and remained my how my sister refused his marriage proposal and ended up with a rascal."

Just then, someone knocked and Stella unlocked the door. Olumide entered.

"Good evening all" he said with a smile.
"Evening" they chorused.
"I'm sorry I'm late again." he apologized.
"We can't blame you for that, traffic can be very frustrating at times." Abraham said.

"Please sit" Carol said pointing at the chair opposite the one she sat with her husband. Stella sat beside Olu and they held hands.

"My sister was abused physically by a cheating husband for that matter." Abraham started "The thing is, he is a Yoruba and I don't want my daughter to experience that. You look like a responsible young man and I can tell the love that exists between you and my daughter. I want my daughter to be happy. I know I don't have many means but I always look out for her. Young man?"

"Sir" Olu answered.

"Promise you will never do anything to cause my daughter pain in anyway. I give her to you like an egg and ask that you protect her and take care of her with all you can offer. Promise you will or forget marriage to my daughter if you can't keep to it." Abraham said with a very serious look towards Olumide.

"I promise I won't let you down" Olumide said with fierce feelings.

"Then you both should start planning the wedding." Abraham said.
Stella was overwhelmed with tears of joy, she stood up from her seat and ran to embrace her father.

"Thank you dad." she said repeatedly.
Re: Loving My First Love. by Aipete2(f): 4:43am On Sep 19, 2014
You've learnt your lessons now
Re: Loving My First Love. by pureIvory(f): 1:14am On Sep 22, 2014
Chapter Six
Stella went back to complete her NYSC program. Olumide had said he didn't want to wait too long to call her his wife and so the wedding was scheduled for when she returned.
Stella still couldn't believe her luck, she was going to be Mrs Adeyemi Olumide very soon and the principal of the school she was teaching offered to retain her and at her request, she was going to be transferred to the school's branch in Lagos after her NYSC so she will be with her soon to be husband.

Since her return, she hadn't led eyes on Steve and she couldn't be more thankful about that.

"I'm so happy for you, everything is just going well for you" Rita said. She was a friend Stella met at the school, she was also serving in the school so as they were both Igbo, they blended just fine.
"My sister, I don't even know how to thank my God o" Stella said as they walked out of the school compound towards their houses which wasn't far from each other.
"Oops. Here comes Mr fine boy" Rita always referred to Steve as Mr fine boy because of his handsome features and 'fine boy' attitude.
Stella looked towards same direction as Rita and saw Steve walking towards them and immediately steeled.

"We could walk faster or stop a bike if you want" Rita suggested.
"I'm too tired and I don't have money to spend all because of that nuisance". Stella said and they walked on.
"Stella" Steve shouted waving at her to wait up.
"Do you want me to leave you both?" Rita asked.
"No. You stay". Stella answered and they waited for Steve.
"See how he is even walking with swag like we have all day." Rita said with pure disdain.
"Haba Rita. Take it easy naw" Stella said and laughed.
"I just don't like him" Rita said folding her arms around her.
"Hello ladies" Steve greeted.
"Hello" they greeted back.
"I've been trying your number" Steve said.
"My FIANCÉ bought me a new line 'cause of your disturbance. Stella said stressing the fiancé.
Steve nodded."So where does that leave us?"
"Steve there was never an 'us'."
"What do you mean? for all I know our dads were making marriage arrangements for us" he said.
"And I remember my dad calling that off and blessing my marriage with Olumide." Stella said and made to take her leave.

"But I love you and you know it, I can offer you all you can ever dream of" Steve said.
"OMG! Is it that you are so dump that you can't understand simple things or what? how can you offer anything when you don't even have a brain? She is getting married so take your lousy self and back off. Pig!" Rita lashed out all she was holding back and turned around leaving with Stella.

Steve stood tongue-tied at what just happened.

Stella visited every weekend until her service was over for the planning of her wedding.
On one of those weekends, Stella was watching a soap when Olumide came by, they talked at length and even cooked together.
"You know I'm so excited about everything and I feel very glad to be part of your family" Olu said and they smiled at each other.
"Speaking of your family, I came by last week to add some names in the guest list and I didn't see your Aunt Susan's name. Your mom excused herself when I asked about it."
"You eh, so now you want to get the answer from me"
"You caught me" he said raising his hands in mock surrender.
Stella laughed.
"So?"he asked.
Stella's smile dimmed. "She won't come" she answered.
"Because you are marrying a Yoruba man?"
"No. How can you even think that. She is not coming because she is not alive. She is dead."
"Oh dear. How come you never told me." concern written all over his face.
"The circumstances surrounding her death is disturbing and no her husband didn't beat her to death and she didn't die of heartbreak like you are probably thinking."
He waited for her to open up.
She told him how her father had tried to make his sister Susan leave her bad marriage which she refused doing.
"Her husband lost his job and his frustration with my aunt increased. He didn't have enough money to continue his way of live-drinking, going after women and partying so he vested all his anger on my aunt. My dad increased his pressure on my aunt to leave the marriage. At some point he hired people to beat up Uncle Kunle and drag Aunt Susie back home but she ran back to her husband. One day we got a phone call that she was dead. Her body was found in their house with some parts missing. It happened that Uncle Kunle wanted to use the parts for money rituals and in his haste to run away, a car hit him and he died instantly. Aunt Susan's missing body parts were found in the bag Uncle Kunle was holding at the time of his death." Stella narrated.
"That's horrible" Olumide said totally shocked by the news.
"Yes it is.We normally don't talk about it because dad was depressed for almost a year after the incident. Aunt Susie was his only sibling." Stella said and wiped a tear that betrayed her eyes.
Olumide held her closely and she sobbed in his arms.
"I will never let any harm come to you as long as I live." he whispered into her ears, rubbing his palm down her back and giving her cute little kisses on the neck.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Wedding ( Fiction) By Tollyb / How Do I Get My Article Published In A Nigerian Newspaper???? / The Big Mummy (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.