Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

My First Love - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My First Love (1857 Views)

My First Love. (by Kelly9ice) / My Classic First Love Scenario And The Unwanted End / Loving My First Love. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My First Love by Oluchi007(f): 1:41pm On Dec 13, 2011
The first time I laid my eyes on you, you looked so innocent and beautiful. You were wearing a turquoise dress with chocolate trimmings and chocolate shoes. Your full black hair was held in bunches. I kept staring at you because I wanted to kiss you, but I knew it would be a stupid thing to do.

When Aunty Grace introduced you as Annabel, you refused to acknowledge me. Rather you tilted your pointed nose in the air and stared past me. I said ‘hello’ trying to be nice, but instead of returning my greeting, you quipped, ‘Why are you staring at me?’
I hurriedly denied your accusation to save face, though of course you were speaking the truth.

Following the embarrassment, I wandered off to play with the boys. However, I had to come back and find you because my mind wouldn’t delete your beautiful face. I tried to make friends with you once again but you wouldn’t let me, and that is when I snatched the piece of cake you were eating and ran down the grassy path.

I was surprised that you came after me energetically; I never knew you were so nimble. We were near the mango tree when you tripped and fell. I turned back to help you, however as I bent over to offer my hand, you slapped me hotly across the face. I yelped and jumped back. At that moment, a thought darted across my mind.

‘You silly girl!’ I cursed, then quickly pinned your arms to the ground and gave you a swift kiss.
‘Eww, you monkey!’ you yelled wiping your lips delicately.

I ran away, as fear and thrill tore at my belly. I dreaded you would report me to Aunty Grace but you didn’t. Instead the next time we met at church, you held out your hand and demanded, ‘My cake?’
I feigned ignorance so you chased me down the grassy path where I ran and ran, before I finally surrendered in order to steal another kiss. Thereafter it became a Sunday ritual - you pursuing me along the grassy path after church, and me stealing a kiss.

I assumed it would last forever but life had different plans. One Sunday, I was peering through the window at Sunday school waiting for you to alight from Aunty Grace blue-black Mercedes and glide towards the church. But to my disappointment, Aunty Grace alighted alone.
The next Sunday you were missing. Then the Sunday after that. That was when I mustered the courage to ask Aunty Grace about you. She told me, quite casually, that she had sent you to live with your father in Canada.

I was shattered. You were eight. I was ten. I never saw you again. Until twelve long years later.

In those twelve years I thought about you every day, dreamed about you and wrote you letters which you never replied. Even when I dated other girls you were not far from my mind. You remained my ultimate desire.

I remember when you came home after twelve years. Your skin was so fresh and fair, as if you had never stepped out in the sun. Your beauty, your accent and your carriage prevented me from introducing myself. I watched you timidly from afar.
My surprise was palpable when you approached me. You turned out to be warm, affectionate and down-to-earth. Old feelings surged back. I became your slave. I drove you around town; carried your bags; I was even willing to wash your clothes and wipe the dust off your feet.

Three days before your due date to fly back to Canada, I took you for a walk. I took you to Saint James Protestant church where we used to worship all those years back. I walked you down the grassy path where you often chased me demanding I returned your slice of cake. I showed you the spot where you first tripped and fell; the spot I first kissed you. I asked you if you remembered our childhood antics and, wearing a bemused look, you replied, ‘Hardly’.

That made me realize how foolish I had been for attaching much significance to our childhood exploits. I wish I had ended the matter there, but, much to my dismay, my mouth took on a life of its own. It began to babble about how much I adored you and had lived my life for this very moment when I would see you and have a chance to be with you forever.

All through my avowal you stood statuesque, nose tilted in the air. The old Annabelle was resurfacing.
My running mouth suddenly quit. The look on your face was killing. With your voice full of disgust you said, ‘Do you realise that we are cousins?’
Without another word you cavorted past me.

Yes, we were actually cousins. I knew the fact in theory, but it had never registered emotionally.
Re: My First Love by maclatunji: 1:14pm On Dec 14, 2011
Did you write this Oluchi007? grin
Re: My First Love by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:54pm On Dec 14, 2011
[size=13pt]That's a very funny question to ask any sane person my dear. . . grin grin smiley[/size]

maclatunji:

Did you write this Oluchi007? grin
Re: My First Love by Oluchi007(f): 3:40pm On Dec 14, 2011
Yes I did. What's wrong with it? smiley
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]That's a very funny question to ask any sane person my dear. . . grin grin smiley[/size]

Re: My First Love by Oluchi007(f): 3:42pm On Dec 14, 2011
@Ogaga4luv, hahaha, ur very funny.
Re: My First Love by MyneWhite1(f): 6:57pm On Dec 14, 2011
This is good, you got me. smiley
Re: My First Love by Oluchi007(f): 7:10pm On Dec 14, 2011
Lol. Thanks.
Re: My First Love by ARareGem(f): 7:48pm On Dec 14, 2011
Awww, nice.
Re: My First Love by Oluchi007(f): 7:51pm On Dec 14, 2011
Thanks, Raregem.
Re: My First Love by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 15, 2011
Lovely. I enjoyed reading that.
Re: My First Love by Oluchi007(f): 12:52am On Dec 15, 2011
Thanks, Yield. I'm glad u enjoyed it.
Re: My First Love by maclatunji: 9:02am On Dec 15, 2011
Oluchi007:

Yes I did. What's wrong with it? smiley

I like the way you captured a man's emotions although you are a woman. It is what I like the most about your short story!
Re: My First Love by Oluchi007(f): 3:59pm On Dec 17, 2011
@maclatunji, I think I have my four brothers to thank for that. Thanks.
Re: My First Love by Orikinla(m): 4:52pm On Dec 17, 2011
Good narrative and should also be posted on the Romance Board.
Re: My First Love by Oluchi007(f): 5:12pm On Dec 17, 2011
Thanks Orikinla. I'll do that.
Re: My First Love by MarcAnthon(m): 8:32pm On Dec 19, 2011
Nice one Oluchi, I'm slowly beginning to look for your write-ups each time I come by here. Keep it coming.
Re: My First Love by Larrywiz(m): 3:12am On Dec 20, 2011
Hmmm, A poet, novelist and blogger. Cool combo.
Re: My First Love by firestar(f): 1:00pm On Dec 20, 2011
You're really perceptive. Looking through the eyes of others is quite a gift. smiley
Re: My First Love by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:02pm On Dec 23, 2011
[size=13pt]Oluchi007 i guess that is your first love experience. . . . grin grin[/size]
Re: My First Love by terrifikjo(m): 5:23pm On Dec 23, 2011
wow,,, this is so interesting,
so romantic.i never wanted it to end just that it ended up being tragedy,
but what can bout it??
tradition!!!
Re: My First Love by Oluchi007(f): 2:57am On Dec 24, 2011
@Larrywiz, terrifikjo & firestar, thank you.

@Ogaga4luv, not exactly. It wasn't my first love experience.
Re: My First Love by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:01am On Dec 24, 2011
[size=13pt]Seriously , so how was your first love experience. . .? wink[/size]

Oluchi007:

@Ogaga4luv, not exactly. It wasn't my first love experience.
Re: My First Love by Oluchi007(f): 12:42pm On Dec 24, 2011
my lips are sealed wink

(1) (Reply)

In The Circle Of Commotion / Main Story Thread For Checkmate Competition-group 1 / Literature Whatsapp Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.