Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,109 members, 7,814,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Did God's Law Authorize Revenge? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did God's Law Authorize Revenge? (1042 Views)

Revenge: Are You For Or Against? / What Should We Obey, God's Law Or Human Law? / Did God Create Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did God's Law Authorize Revenge? by akraym(m): 10:51am On Sep 11, 2014
The words "eye for eye, tooth for tooth," found in the Bible, have caused no little contention. (Exodus 21:24) To some people, it is nothing less than divine approval of revenge. But such thinking conflicts with God's command: "You must not take vengeance nor hold a grudge against the sons of your people." (Leviticus 19:18) How, then, are we to understand those words in Exodus?.

Exodus 21:22 presents a scenario in which two men are fighting and one of them strikes a pregnant woman, causing her to deliver prematurely. If the mother and baby survived, the injured woman's husband would not be authorized to strike back. Rather, the man who struck the new mother would have to "pay the damages imposed on him by the husband of the woman; and he must pay it through the judges." In other words, the judges in court would make the striker pay a fine to the husband of the injured mother. If she or her child died because of injuries, those same judges would have the perpetrator put to death.

In this case, the court, not the victim, applied "life for life", eye for eye, tooth for tooth...." (Exodus 21:23, 24) That principle reminded judges that punishment should be neither excessive nor insufficient. Bible scholar Richard Elliott Friedman states: "The basic principle appears to be that punishment should correspond to the crime and never exceed it."

What gave rise to the idea that God's Law authorized personal acts of revenge? It is noteworthy that at Matthew 5:38, 39, we find Jesus' words: "You heard that it was said: 'Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.' However, I say to you: Do not resist the one who is wicked, but whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other also to him." It seems that by Jesus' day, some religious teachers had included the 'law of retaliation' in their oral tradition as approval for personal vengeance. Jesus, however had no support in God's Law to Israel.
Re: Did God's Law Authorize Revenge? by igbsam(m): 9:14am On Nov 15, 2014
@Akraym

Kindly please help me unban my moniker. I posted my game in the PFP tourney, but was banned by antispambot. Even Anonymousjuju1 and one other person helped me post, but they were banned also. Please do this today as i really need to post my game for today.
Thanks
Re: Did God's Law Authorize Revenge? by akraym(m): 10:27am On Oct 17, 2015
ajafama: 58785037, 58810050

irchris4u: 58792904
Re: Did God's Law Authorize Revenge? by tpiander: 4:42pm On Oct 17, 2015
Forgiveness rather.
Re: Did God's Law Authorize Revenge? by Humblebloke(m): 9:36pm On Oct 17, 2015
Yes..... It was written in plain black and whitegrinundecided

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why People Don't Name Their Chilld 'Jesus' / Ghosts' Revenge / Jesus Was Buried With Wife,son And 8 Other Siblings-----isreali Geologist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.