Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . (48276 Views)

Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / The Origin Of Osun Osogbo Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Johnnyessence(m): 6:11pm On Sep 14, 2014
these are some of d project ogbeni do.

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Johnnyessence(m): 6:23pm On Sep 14, 2014
these are some of d schools he built.kudos to him

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Tnot(m): 6:25pm On Sep 14, 2014
I rep Ede manpo arogun, omo aji lala osho omo aji fojo gbogbo dara bi egbin.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by quivah(f): 6:40pm On Sep 14, 2014
dhayor58: r u from ife?
yup
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by aemmy: 6:49pm On Sep 14, 2014
i rep omoluabi.....**Ilobu**
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Sunday4ars(m): 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2014
Good Bless the op, and grant him, all his heart desires. I personally celebrate you for a job well done. i'm from Eko-ende(u mispell it under the Oyo division). My town is Popularly Called "Eko" of Osun. it have a big river called "otin" with a dam dat supply one third (10 Local govts) of Osun Water needs, with numerous species of fishes. The towns Eko-ende, Okuku and Ekosin were founded by a Triplet who are called "Are", that is while the common oriki is "Omo Are", these three towns shared that same Oriki from their ancestors are still cordial till date.... Osun is beautify, home of destiny. Goodluck Jonathan (phd, GCFR) also serve(nysc) there. Good bless The Land,Osun, God bless Nigeria. Long Live Eko-ende. God bless The op
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by honEmirate(m): 7:52pm On Sep 14, 2014
Proudly AN OMOLUABI!!!!...... And EDE mapo-arogun is ma cradle......
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 14, 2014
AmiableJay:
I'm from Ikire too Ohhh. Naira &Kobo Street, Olorisa-Oko to be precise.

Nice one omo ewu! I rep Anajere side.
Gbogbo eni ti o fe Ikire.....

1 Like

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by PaulJohn1: 9:06pm On Sep 14, 2014
Johnnyessence: these are some of d project ogbeni did.

Education

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Hollyb(f): 9:36pm On Sep 14, 2014
i represent ikire. And you forgot to add: School of nursing asubiaro Osogbo
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 14, 2014
benzion72:
This story is incomplete without the mentioning of MODAKEKE people of Osun state. They are warlord who migrated back to Ile Ife during fulani invasion of the Oyo empire. They are in the class of Ibadan in term of warfare and they are the only distinct people with an area office. Carved out of the present Ife East local government. The Ife people have tried severally to subjugate them disenfranchise them. But they are tough and resilient.
Modakeke has been placed under Ife east LGA,...their land close to Mayfair is not even as big as some Ife town like awolowo town, agbonbiti, ilode, Oke ogbo, abiri and co.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Nobody: 10:48pm On Sep 14, 2014
tupacshakur: I'll also like to point out that My Ex, Evergreen123, a.k.a Ngozi underwent her NYSC in my state, Osun but will never see anything good in the state for reasons best known to the both of us which I'd be revealing someday here on NL.

She collected State Allawee for 12 months from the Coffers of the state Government and still have the guts to lambaste the state at the slightest opportunity.

Don't you think she's an Afi-ibis'oloore?

No wonder.....
amakajoe: God bless my husband's state kiss
Correct person.

1 Like

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by MymothersKeeper(f): 10:53pm On Sep 14, 2014
anyone notice the beauty of the women? Unlike yorubas from other states Osun people are not funny looking, for instance in Lag you will see it all but Osun girls are pretty no matter how simple and innocent they are! Bless up all Omo Oroki cool But when I left it was called Osun - State of the Living spring??
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by sapientia1(m): 11:29pm On Sep 14, 2014
AmiableJay:
I'm from Ikire too Ohhh. Naira &Kobo Street, Olorisa-Oko to be precise.
reminds me of that pedestrian bridge
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by ahkenaten(m): 12:00am On Sep 15, 2014
irepodun ilobu......tho i've been there just once...

any other ilobite??
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by 5thNOTE: 4:11am On Sep 15, 2014
U yoruba ppl should stop looking for the root of ur ancestry and refute the myth of Oduduwa and his fall or creation. The person that found the yoruba race was a prince frm Benin, a junior brother to another prince. He settled down at Ile-ife and resulted to peaceful pratice of his own aftr a broil with his elder brother. He had gotten to Ile-ife be4 he started throwing tantrums to his elder brother. Due to no king and free living practice by him and his descendants, yoruba nation quickly spread out. This should be around the 12th century. The Yoruba nation is frm Edo which came frm Egypt and met the Igbo ppl who came 3 generations back be4 the Edo ppl who were Jews. They passed behind this Igbo ppl who were strong and fierce warriors, this may be somewhere around Anambra- onitsha. The Igbo Frivolus attacked and threatened to annihilate them. They continued the war with the igbo generations later after settling down in the huge forest and other other parts of the travelling community have dispersed after the major first war at the early arrival of their journey.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by AmiableJay(m): 7:49am On Sep 15, 2014
Neyoor:

Nice one omo ewu! I rep Anajere side.
Gbogbo eni ti o fe Ikire.....
yoo se rere my brother.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by AmiableJay(m): 7:52am On Sep 15, 2014
Hollyb: i represent ikire. And you forgot to add: School of nursing asubiaro Osogbo
My sister. Where in Ikire are you from?
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by AmiableJay(m): 7:54am On Sep 15, 2014
sapientia1: reminds me of that pedestrian bridge
Lol. You ain't based there, right?
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by AmiableJay(m): 7:57am On Sep 15, 2014
5thNOTE: U yoruba ppl should stop looking for the root of ur ancestry and refute the myth of Oduduwa and his fall or creation. The person that found the yoruba race was a prince frm Benin, a junior brother to another prince. He settled down at Ile-ife and resulted to peaceful pratice of his own aftr a broil with his elder brother. He had gotten to Ile-ife be4 he started throwing tantrums to his elder brother. Due to no king and free living practice by him and his descendants, yoruba nation quickly spread out. This should be around the 12th century. The Yoruba nation is frm Edo which came frm Egypt and met the Igbo ppl who came 3 generations back be4 the Edo ppl who were Jews. They passed behind this Igbo ppl who were strong and fierce warriors, this may be somewhere around Anambra- onitsha. The Igbo Frivolus attacked and threatened to annihilate them. They continued the war with the igbo generations later after settling down in the huge forest and other other parts of the travelling community have dispersed after the major first war at the early arrival of their journey.
Lol, historian wannabe?

2 Likes

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by dhayor58(m): 8:39am On Sep 15, 2014
quivah:
yup
me too
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Younevajam: 8:48am On Sep 15, 2014
tupacshakur: One noteworthy point that's commonplace among Osun state folks is "Religious tolerance".

Traditional-religion Faithfuls, Christians and Muslims live congenially with minimal conflicts.

Not only does the state of Osun pride herself with the Osun Oshogbo sacred grove, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the Osun Oshogbo Festival that attracts thousands of Osun Worshippers and tourists from all over the world, the State also boasts of the current president of the International Congress of Orisa tradition and culture (Nigeria Chapter) and prominent Ifa priest, Araba Ifayemi Elebuibon...world-acclaimed Christian Pastors like E.A Adeboye of the Redeemed Christian church of God and W.F. Kumuyi of Deeper Life Bible church...and Muslim clerics like Sheikh Abdullah Adelabu and the indefatigable Governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola.

I think the religious tolerance prevalent among We "Omoluabis" and "Omo Ooduas" parapo should be developed as a Prototype in promoting inter and intra- religious Peace, especially in places like "Alaigbo", Northern Nigeria and the Middle East.

What do you think?
Why do you call out Igboland?
Anyway, Like the NewNigerianmind guy who has never spent more than day in Osun his state. We now see why many Yorubas from Oshun desperately claim Lagos like asylum-seekers even when they sleep under bridges cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by benzion72(m): 8:53am On Sep 15, 2014
saxywale:
Modakeke has been placed under Ife east LGA,...their land close to Mayfair is not even as big as some Ife town like awolowo town, agbonbiti, ilode, Oke ogbo, abiri and co.

What is the last census population figure of all your reference Ife towns. No politician play with Modakeke vote during election. While the Old Ilesha LGA now has 6 LGA, the Old Oluyole LGA has 12 LGA. The old Oranmiyan LGA has only 4 LGA. This shows that haters dont prosper. While Modakeke was in Ife North. They always produce the LGA chairman because they are more populous than the whole 7 Origbo town. My friend grow up and stop inheriting the hate of your fore generations

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by bright499(m): 8:54am On Sep 15, 2014
1stUnique: so pls which state does it belong to?
Ekiti
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by bright499(m): 8:58am On Sep 15, 2014
PaulJohn1:

Ijebu-Ijesha is a different Ijebu, they are Ijeshas.

I'm not sure if they are of the same sub-group because they both have distinct identity as two different Yoruba sub-groups.

The similarities I noticed between the old Ijeshas and the Ijebus are: they are both very educated, ceremonious, can be very aggressive especially when vexed(damn insultive) or when dealing with money, they were also good at trading.

The Oyos really suffered from the Ijesha when is comes to yabbing. grin Go find out what this means; "Oyo amukun meko" lipsrsealed

Got to add this, they were both never liked by the Oyo people in the past, but things have changed.
u are right.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by mytym(m): 11:52am On Sep 15, 2014
saxywale:
Youngman...kindly do a better due diligence preferably from a non sentimental perspective, only then will Nigeria move forward.
Be that as it may, i would like to assert that up till today the last LG creation in Nigeria (as published in 1997 Federal Gazette) by Late Abacha recognizes Modakeke as the Headquarters of Ife East LG. The very influential Ooni of Ife in his parochial politics connived with Military Admin Col. Obi who illegally changed it to Oke ogbo...and due to the mayhem caused from the aftermath, also knowing its Federal implication led them to create a LG Area Office HQ in Modakeke so as to cover the loop. (coz the monthly allocation disbursement recognizes Modakeke not Oke ogbo) . The only place where you can find LG Area Office is Federal Capital Territory.
I suggest that you and every other person who may be interested to google a very old book on yoruba history, and if you are graced order it and read. Johnson's Account of The Yorubas written by Rev. Samuel Johnson

Like another nairalander said, the votes of modakeke ppl has always been a considerable swing decider in any election right from first republic. If you have doubts about this, kindly ask from Gov. Aregbesola and Senator Omisore.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by mytym(m): 12:14pm On Sep 15, 2014
benzion72:
This story is incomplete without the mentioning of MODAKEKE people of Osun state. They are warlord who migrated back to Ile Ife during fulani invasion of the Oyo empire. They are in the class of Ibadan in term of warfare and they are the only distinct people with an area office. Carved out of the present Ife East local government. The Ife people have tried severally to subjugate them disenfranchise them. But they are tough and resilient.
The bolded is very true and talk about Karma, Ife has been a victim of its own capricies.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by MrPresident1: 4:58pm On Sep 15, 2014
bamzz:

Nice job OP. But Okuku is Igbomina, not Oyo subdivision. Other Igbomina towns in Osun include Oke-Ila and Iresi among others. Also, there is no town called Oke-Ogbo in Ife subdivision. Oke-Ogbo is just the area that happens to be the headquarters of Ife East Local Government in Ile-Ife. Thanks.

You are wrong.

Ikirun, Offa, Okuku, Osogbo belong to the Oyo subdivision, and are not Igbomina.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by annie7(m): 8:43pm On Sep 15, 2014
Kudos to the op for giving us d opportunity to relate wit our root. I rep Modakeke, Akoraye.
Akoraye ma ba mi ja.
Mi o ni owo ebo nile.
Long live d State of Osun.
Long live d Federal Republic of Nig.
Osun Adara.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by yoged(m): 11:33pm On Sep 15, 2014
mistudreh: In pele o gbogbo eyin Ijesha,
Ijesha omo owa, omo ekun, omo bokun remi,
Ijesha tio je obi loju oloro, omo du apona da,
Ijesha omo eleni ate iika, Omo eleni ewele.
Omo olobi kan wowotiriwo, omo olobikan wowotiriwo,
Eyi tofe teni awo seru eni, eyi tio fe teni awo sinu igbo,
Omo Ogedengbe, agbogun gboro, adi pon pon l'oju ogun,
Edumare bawa da ilu Ijesha si o
Ase
Baba re a gbe.... Yeye re a ti leyin!!!
A maa pureke moya ooooo....

Long live Ijeshaland
Long live Omoluabis in the State of Osun
Long live Nigeria.
o ka re keee, iyan a yun leru re. Reping ujesa land

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Masquerades Seen Giving A Man Change After The Man Offered Them Money / Ongoing Renovation Of Ooni Of Ife's Palace (Photos) / Beautiful Pictures Of Wedding / Engagement Rings! Come In:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.