Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,065 members, 7,953,249 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:59 PM

The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . (48761 Views)

Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / The Origin Of Osun Osogbo Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Ask4bigneyo(m): 7:22am On Sep 14, 2014
Today na sundau now....
Why una dey full FP with tribe matters....
Isssoookay, Contunu....
There is God ooo
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Alimtoheeb(m): 7:23am On Sep 14, 2014
Proudly omoluabi....I rep State of osun....

2 Likes

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by yim(f): 7:24am On Sep 14, 2014
Effon Alaiye, city in southwestern Nigeria, located in Osun State. The city is a distribution center for cocoa, palm oil, timber, rubber, and cotton. Effon Alaiye is part of the Yoruba cultural region. It is located near the Oni River. In ancient times Oni was worshiped by the residents of Effon Alaiye, who made annual trips to the river. Today worship takes place in the town. The city is one of the important Yoruba sites of the annual Ogun festivals, commemorating the Yoruba deity Ogun, the god of iron. Iron was important to the Yoruba for the production of weapons and farm implements. In ancient times, Effon Alaiye became a prominent center for crafted beads made of red jasper, a type of quartz. In 1848 Effon Alaiye was raided by Ibadan and Ilorin forces of the Yoruba kingdoms, and subsequently fell from prominence. The city has a small Christian population, and unlike other cities in southwestern Nigeria, the Muslim population is not numerous.
@ OP Efon Alaiye is in Ekiti. Nice one though

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by priscaoge(f): 7:24am On Sep 14, 2014
God bless Osun State n it's inhabitants!!!!

4 Likes

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by oyeludef(m): 7:24am On Sep 14, 2014
osun a dara o. i
n other news, do u know dat ds man has a greater IQ than yo

1 Like

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 14, 2014
God bless the citizens of Osun
God bless the Governor of Osun
God bless the State of Osun (Ipinle Omoluabi)
God bless the South west
God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by jidxin(m): 7:30am On Sep 14, 2014
hmm
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by kendrick93(m): 7:36am On Sep 14, 2014
no one cares tbh. also why is dis trash on fp
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by bright499(m): 7:39am On Sep 14, 2014
PaulJohn1: History
Osun consists of four (4) Yoruba sub-groups
The Oyo sub-group (who are the majority), the Ife subgroup, the Ijeshas and the Igbominas

Towns under each subgroup found in Osun.

Oyo subgroup

Oshogbo
Ede
Ejigbo
Gbongan
Iwo
Ikirun
Iragbiji
Iree
Inisha
Ikire
Ilobu
Okuku
Ada
(Oyo town in Oyo state is the sub-group capital of the Oyo people)

Ife subgroup
Ile-Ife(Sub-group capital)
Ipetumodu
Ifetedo
Oke Ogbo

Ijesha subgroup
Ilesha(Sub-group capital)
Ibokun
Ijebu-Ijesha
Ilashe
Ipetu-Ile
Ifewara
Imesi-ile
Erin-Ijesha

Igbomina subgroup
Ila-Oranagun(Sub-group capital)
The rests are located in Kwara state.
Good work but Esa oke should be part of ijesa

1 Like

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Tolexander: 7:40am On Sep 14, 2014
Effon Alaiye, city in
southwestern Nigeria, located
in Osun State. The city is a
distribution center for cocoa,
palm oil, timber, rubber, and
cotton. Effon Alaiye is part of
the Yoruba cultural region. It
is located near the Oni River.
In ancient times Oni was
worshiped by the residents of
Effon Alaiye, who made annual
trips to the river. Today
worship takes place in the
town. The city is one of the
important Yoruba sites of the
annual Ogun festivals,
commemorating the Yoruba
deity Ogun, the god of iron.
Iron was important to the
Yoruba for the production of
weapons and farm
implements. In ancient times,
Effon Alaiye became a
prominent center for crafted
beads made of red jasper, a
type of quartz. In 1848 Effon
Alaiye was raided by Ibadan
and Ilorin forces of the
Yoruba kingdoms, and
subsequently fell from
prominence. The city has a
small Christian population, and
unlike other cities in
southwestern Nigeria, the
Muslim population is not
numerous.
Efon Alaiye is in Ekiti state, not Osun.

PAUL, good work you've done there, me like e gan ni!

2 Likes

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by sherrylo: 7:49am On Sep 14, 2014
this is very educating. op thanks gann ni. Iwo omo olodo oba, omo a teni gbaore. Osun a dara o.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by 1stUnique(m): 7:56am On Sep 14, 2014
Mehnn, see as d op's analyse d topic. ko ni baje fun e. wa gbayi, proudly omoluabi.

3 Likes

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by dhayor58(m): 7:58am On Sep 14, 2014
quivah: Ile- Ife , Ibi ti ojumo ti
mowa .... iba!
r u from ife?
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by justhelp(m): 8:15am On Sep 14, 2014
kendrick93: no one cares tbh. also why is dis trash on fp
u never said any good thing abt other tribe just because u re a fool,Anyway is not your fault ur tribe don't have rich culture like Yoruba so continue crying.

3 Likes

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by cardoso111(m): 8:34am On Sep 14, 2014
Effon Alaye is not in Osun State,pls note

1 Like

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by tupacshakur(m): 8:42am On Sep 14, 2014
Proudly Omo ipinle Osun.

Ni Abule Omi eran, ni ilu Ilesha!

Yesi ere?

Ka ri o lu bee?

3 Likes

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Nobody: 8:47am On Sep 14, 2014
mistudreh: @OP, Ko ni baje fun e.
Long live Ijeshaland
Long live Omoluabis in the State of Osun
Long live Nigeria.
Padi me, omo owa omo Ekun

Omo won lalede ijesa
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by ChiefJusticeFuk: 8:48am On Sep 14, 2014
PaulJohn1: Location

Natural Resources
[s]Osun State is blessed with vast mineral resources. These include gold, clay, limestone, kaolin and granite. It also has many agricultural resources[/s].

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by stabillo(m): 8:51am On Sep 14, 2014
OP,When did Efon Alaaye become a town in Osun? Last time I checked, Efon is in Ekiti State .

1 Like

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by highchiefpee(m): 8:51am On Sep 14, 2014
Op okuku,inisa and co are not under oyo sub group they are of the ibolo subgroup!there capital town is offa,kwara state
The Oyo sub-group (who are the majority), the Ife subgroup, the Ijeshas and the Igbominas

Oyo subgroup

Oshogbo
Ede
Ejigbo
Gbongan
Iwo
Ikirun
Iragbiji
Iree
Inisha
Ikire
Ilobu
Okuku
Ada

Ife subgroup
Ipetumodu
Ifetedo
Oke Ogbo

Ijesha subgroup
Ibokun
Ijebu-Ijesha
Ilashe
Ipetu-Ile
Ifewara
Imesi-ile
Erin-Ijesha

Igbomina subgroup
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by singlefade25(f): 8:58am On Sep 14, 2014
I rep ikire . I rep irewole LGA, I rep osun state, I rep south west, I rep Nigeria. God Bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by bamzz: 9:00am On Sep 14, 2014

Oyo subgroup

Oshogbo
Ede
Ejigbo
Gbongan
Iwo
Ikirun
Iragbiji
Iree
Inisha
Ikire
Ilobu
Okuku
Ada

Ife subgroup
Ipetumodu
Ifetedo
Oke Ogbo

Ijesha subgroup
Ibokun
Ijebu-Ijesha
Ilashe
Ipetu-Ile
Ifewara
Imesi-ile
Erin-Ijesha

Igbomina subgroup

Nice job OP. But Okuku is Igbomina, not Oyo subdivision. Other Igbomina towns in Osun include Oke-Ila and Iresi among others. Also, there is no town called Oke-Ogbo in Ife subdivision. Oke-Ogbo is just the area that happens to be the headquarters of Ife East Local Government in Ile-Ife. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 14, 2014
tupacshakur: Proudly Omo ipinle Osun.

Ni Abule Omi eran, ni ilu Ilesha!

Yesi ere?

Ka ri o lu bee?
I be ni no wa ti Mon ti mi muyan je
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by eniabire(m): 9:01am On Sep 14, 2014
Great job, OP.
Please note that Osun state college of Technology, Esa-Oke is a Polytechnic not College of Education.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 14, 2014
Proudly Apomu!
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 14, 2014
Proudly osun state
Proudly Ijesa
ijesa osere, omo onile obi
omo Eleni ewele, omo eleni ateeka

Op gives me the opportunity to show my ijesaness
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by mistudreh(m): 9:12am On Sep 14, 2014
Ipledge: Padi me, omo owa omo Ekun

Omo won lalede ijesa
Eh!!!! Kingpardy of life......... I sight u bro.... Hw every?
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by NewNigeriaMind: 9:26am On Sep 14, 2014
kendrick93: no one cares tbh. also why is dis trash on fp

trash like your life abi!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by NewNigeriaMind: 9:29am On Sep 14, 2014
Considering i have not spent more than a day in Ilesa my home town. still rep Osun boy.
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by ogbenicodes(m): 9:29am On Sep 14, 2014
Proudly Omoluabi! Imesi-ile
Re: The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . by cypha101: 9:29am On Sep 14, 2014
I'm so proud of the piece, very educstive and enlightning. Thank you much.
quote author=PaulJohn1]Higher Institutions in Osun

Universities

*Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife. (Federal government).
*Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso, Oshogbo. (Oyo and Osun state government).
*Osun state University (UNIOSUN), Oshogbo, Ikire, Okuku, Ifetedo. (Osun state government)
*Bowen University (of the Nigerian Baptist Convention), Iwo. (Private)
*Kings University (KICC), Ode-Omu. (Pastor Ashimolowo- Private)
*Fountain University (Islamic society), Oshogbo. (Private)
*Adeleke University, Ede. (The Adelekes- Private)
*Odudua University (OU), Ile-Ife. (Private)
*Joseph Ayo Babalola University(JABU), (CAC-Private)
*Redeemers University (Redeemed Christian Church of God), Relocating from Lagos-Ibadan Express way to a permanent site at Ede, Osun state. (Private)

Polytechnics
*Federal Polytechnic, Ede. (Federal Government)
*Osun state Polyphonic, Iree. (Osun state government)
*The Polytechnic, Ile-Ife. (Private)
*Igbajo Polytechnic, Igbajo. (Private)
*Interlink Polytechnic, Ijebu-Ijesha. (Private)

Colleges of Education
*Osun state college of Education, Ila-Orangun. (Osun state government)
*Osun state college of Education, Ilesha. (Osun state government)
*Osun state college of Technology, Esa-Oke. (Osun state government)

Teaching hospitals
*Obafemi Awolowo teaching hospital (OAUTH), Ile-Ife. (Federal Government)
*Ladoke Akintola teaching hospital (LTH), Osogbo. (Osun & Oyo state government)
[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings / Ooni Ogunwusi Pictured With Ronke Ademiluyi, 'Rumoured New Wife' / Ewi If Ife Fun Oluwafunmilayo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.