Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,566 members, 7,955,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:53 PM

Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? (11148 Views)

Food Scientists And Technologists Let Meet Here / Need Food Items From The Us ? / Scientists Develop Rice That Requires No Cooking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by clemz88(m): 9:18am On Sep 14, 2014
sisiafrika: Most don't know the differences between nutrition and dietetics, Catering, food science and technology.
mrs lecturer please can u make us understand?
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 14, 2014
I am a proud food scientist and technologist at OAU
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by sisiafrika(f): 10:06am On Sep 14, 2014
clemz88: mrs lecturer please can u make us understand?
do I look like www.google.com? Or u misplaced ur phone or what? There is no fun in being ignorant.
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 14, 2014
I created this thread for us last year, but some pages have been wiped off , we can make the thread alive again. www.nairaland.com/1374064/thread-food-scientist-technologist-all
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by 190theclown: 10:57am On Sep 14, 2014
Food tech wetin? GEJ must hear this

Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by Habeebpain(m): 11:32am On Sep 14, 2014
I'm a food Science and technology graduate but frankly speaking our jobs are not limited to FMCG companies alone. Research institutes, Food Reserves, Hospitals and Health organisations are some of the numerous places we can work. But you see, some other courses compete with us such as biochemistry, chemistry, and microbiology although not in all aspects. So it's difficult getting a job.
A FMCG will rather employ a biochemist to run their chemical analysis and a microbiologist for their microbial section. When a Food Science graduate can actually do both.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by Ifedikaycee(m): 11:38am On Sep 14, 2014
Proudly a food scientist/technologist!! I rep imt Enugu!
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by Midastorch(m): 11:57am On Sep 14, 2014
As important as the course looks, the Federal government of Nigeria and national assembly still find it hard to grant Nigeria institute of food science and Technology (NIFST) the statutory power to probe and certify most of these food companies.
Speaking the fact, most of these food companies give us poisons to eat in Nigeria.very few of them go through normal standard operating procedures (S O P).
I remember when I was doing my IT in one of the sugar refineries, normally there are two different production lines for fortified and non fortified sugar.whenever the ingredient for fortification is not available, they will just
produce non fortified sugar and bag it into a fortified sack.
Also the environments at which most restaurants, canteen, mama put produce their foods are very awful.My conclusion is God has a special love for Nigerians and Africans in general.imagine someone eating from a swollen canned food that is susceptible to botulism.if oyinbo man try that, death na the cure.
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by Baritone(m): 12:04pm On Sep 14, 2014
As a Food technologist, i'm leaning towards its business aspect. Production of Cereal based products, Wines and distilleries. Looking at the larger picture, its a course thats more practical than theorical. You can produce as long as you can imagine.
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by bookhy(f): 12:32pm On Sep 14, 2014
Am glad and proud of my wonderful course: Food Science and Technology

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by Dawumi(f): 1:34pm On Sep 14, 2014
I'm pRoud to b a graduate of FST,,,,proudly Futarian too
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by Aidy97(f): 1:40pm On Sep 14, 2014
True talk

#irepFST
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by clemz88(m): 1:53pm On Sep 14, 2014
sisiafrika: do I look like www.google.com? Or u misplaced ur phone or what? There is no fun in being ignorant.
no fex abeg
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by sisiafrika(f): 2:11pm On Sep 14, 2014
clemz88: no fex abeg
vex not fex. Are u Igbotic
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by clemz88(m): 5:57pm On Sep 14, 2014
sisiafrika: vex not fex. Are u Igbotic
just wantd to talk lyk a yoruba man . Am a deltan
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by classicuju: 9:01pm On Sep 14, 2014
FST is good but hard to study yet it is still my best....
#FST UNN
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by garlicrey(m): 7:14pm On Sep 15, 2014
Nice
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by 6june: 10:53pm On Sep 15, 2014
[quote author=6june]WHY DO WE NEED FOOD SCIENTISTS AND TECHNOLOGISTS?
To help the health and well-being of the nation depends on the ready availability of good quality food. How to feed 60 million people and ensure the safety and quality of the food products that they eat? That's partly the work of the Food Scientist. How does the food we eat impact on our health, for better or worse? That's our work too. How can food companies develop new products linked to optimal nutrition? And perhaps, most importantly, who is advising Government about food security and the role that we have to play in the future security and sustainability of the world's food supply.
1. PROCESSED FOOD
To some people the terms "food processing" and "processed food" are synonymous with ready meals laden with fat and salt. This is, however, a very misleading picture of food processing. At its simplest, the harvest, packing, transport and storage of fresh produce is a food process. The processed food industry currently covers many sectors such as dairy (fresh milk, UHT milk, yoghurts, ice cream), baking (sliced bread, bread rolls, cakes, home bake products, biscuits), cereals (breakfast cereal products, mueslis, cereal bars), snack foods (crisps and snacks, nuts), confectionery (chocolate and sweets), eggs, prepared vegetables (washed and cut vegetables, mixed salad leaves in bags), canned products, frozen foods, tea and coffee, soft drinks, wine and beer and fresh produce (vegetables, meat and fish). In short, the food that makes up a vast proportion of our weekly shop.
2. FOOD SECURITY
Food scientists and technologists play a key role in converting raw farm produce into food products ready for consumption. The goal must be to convert as much produce as possible into good wholesome products with a minimum of energy consumption and waste throughout processing, packaging and distribution.
Food security is required in terms of Food Availability, Food Access and Food Utilization.
Food Availability is achieved when sufficient quantities of food are consistently available to all individuals within all the states in Nigeria.
Food Access ensured that all households and all individuals within them have adequate resources to obtain appropriate food for a nutritional diet within the country.
Food Utilization is the proper biological use of food, requiring a diet providing sufficient energy and nutrients, potable water and adequate sanitation.
The food supply chain leads from farm to fork and food scientists and technologists play a key role in converting raw farm produce into food products ready for consumption. The goal must be to convert as much produce as possible into good wholesome products with a minimum of energy consumption and waste throughout processing, packaging and distribution.
3. HEALTH
While there is an increasing demand for convenience foods such as ready meals and bags of salad to fit in with our busy lives, we are all more aware of the risks of too high consumption of salt (Hypertension) and Saturated fats (Heart Diseases). Food scientists are needed to find that difficult balance between reformulating food products to reduce levels of salt, saturated fats while ensuring their functional roles within food products are not lost. Obesity is an increasing problem for society affecting nearly a quarter of adults and a fifth of children. Tackling this problem will involve food and nutritional scientists and technologists. Research is giving us increased understanding of how food products impact on satiety and the physiology of the gut, hopefully allowing the formulation of food products with reduced potential for contributing to obesity.
4. FOOD CHOICE
Understanding how to make a product palatable to consumers is the job of sensory analysis. This branch of food science aims to understand how we taste and smell food before reaching out to consumers.
CONCLUSION
Above all, we will need 45 million skilled food scientists over the next decade to respond to these challenges. These aspiring men and women will have food science and food technology degrees and will be the foot soldiers in ensuring we produce enough of the right stuff to keep us alive!

FOR MORE DETAILS, PLEASE SEE CONTACTS BELOW
www.facebook.com/foodsciencetalk
foodsciencecareertalk@yahoo.com
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by jordanhaysbert: 4:54am On Sep 24, 2014
Afunkybaby: I am a proud food scientist and technologist at OAU

This forum is very interesting....
I currently represent a company who manufacturer a encapsulation slow release leavening agent that create goods with better texture and longer shelf life. I have attached an article describing the technology for your review. My reason for introducing this product on this forum specifically to you is because of your position as an educator and a food scientist.

Note:I can provide a sample for testing.

contact details: jordan.haysbert@nmhintl.com

Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by Hissexcellencie(m): 5:22am On Sep 24, 2014
Davijunson: Nicely written... Courses like this aren't usually available in Nigerian uNiversities. I tink ppl shud be encouraged into taking courses like dis. With the adequate knowledge of what to eat and what not to eat, one will visit the Hospitals less often.

but they are UNN, FUTO, IMSU, UI offer Food science and Technology.
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by Davijunson: 8:20am On Sep 24, 2014
Hissexcellencie:

but they are UNN, FUTO, IMSU, UI offer Food science and Technology.
Even ma sch FUT MINNA dey offer am... I didn't mean all schs don't offer it. I meant few schs offer the course. Get ma point.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by origami123: 2:40pm On Dec 22, 2014
Food scientists and technologists are so important because the longer you can keep food healthy the more people you can feed. I work for a food company www.NigerianFoods.com that would not be able to get Nigerian foods to the US were it not for food scientists. Even Ola Ola pounded yam (that is not pounded) was cooked up (forgive the pun) by food scientists.

I think their role will only get bigger in the future.
Re: Why Do We Need Food Scientists And Technologists? by tck2000(m): 11:44am On Jan 01, 2020
!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Recipes I have tried / Be Careful Of Made In China Foods / Making Wara (soybean Cake)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.